Tech

New gravel XPLR Collection from SRAM, Rockshox and Zipp

· By Bike Hub Features · 19 comments

Press Release

The XPLR collection from SRAM, RockShox, and Zipp celebrates a new era of drop bar riding with three product sets to make gravel yours. Every upgrade works great by itself or all together. So pick a path, or mix and match galore. After all, gravel is what you make it.

XPLR DRIVETRAIN

Tailored to the needs of drop bar riders, SRAM’s new 1x-specific wireless drivetrains target a gearing sweet spot. With a 10-44T cassette and matching derailleur, you get big range for gravel climbs and tight jumps for fast riding on road. Choose from three levels—RED, Force, and Rival—that all feature SRAM’s innovative AXS wireless shifting, chain management, and refined hydraulic disc brakes.

210417_SRAM_XPLR_05639.jpg

XPLR ETAP AXS REAR DERAILLEURS

If your ride doesn’t feel complete until you get a little dirt on your tires, you know the importance of capable components that can tackle anything. The SRAM XPLR eTap AXS rear derailleur is a dedicated 1x specific unit designed for use with XPLR 10-44T cassettes. It makes for an uncluttered drivetrain that takes on pavement and singletrack with equal aplomb. Wireless and proven eTap shift logic, AXS connectivity, and advanced chain management mean this derailleur does exactly what you want when you need it.

• Available at SRAM RED, Force, and Rival levels
  • Wireless electronic eTap shift logic for intuitive shifting, easy setup, and reliability
  • 1x specific for use with 10-44T XPLR and 10-36T cassettes
  • SRAM AXS enabled, allowing easy personalization
  • Chain management keeps the drivetrain quiet and secure
  • Larger X-SYNC pulleys for increased durability and efficiency
  • Compatible with existing eTap batteries

XPLR 10-44T CASSETTES

Make that daily ride from your front door a little spicier with some dirt. The 440% range of the XPLR 10-44T cassette provides smooth gear progression when you’re sweating up gravel climbs, and tight jumps on the high end for when it’s time to drill it on asphalt. Shift features on each cog are optimized for electronic shifting, so you’ll get fast, smooth, and precise shifts every time.

• Available at XG-1271 and XG-1251 levels
  • X-Range gearing gives you more range and a smoother gear progression, so you’re always in the right gear
  • 440% range gives the coverage 1x gravel riders want
  • For use with XPLR 1x rear derailleurs
  • Compatible with Flattop chains
  • Compatible with XDR driver body
  • MINI CLUSTER technology for light weight and durability

NEW DIRECT MOUNT 1X CRANKSETS

We originated the 1x drivetrain, and the SRAM RED and Force 1 cranksets evolve the innovation. Lightweight and stiff direct mount 1x chainrings in sizes from 38-46T mate with durable carbon arms to place your bike’s gear range in the sweet spot for your needs, with minimal complications. Our game-changing X-SYNC narrow-wide chainring technology keeps your chain where it needs to be, a new wide stance option provides maximum tire clearance, and our XPLR 10-44T cassettes take care of the range. So you can focus on the fun. 

• Single-ring drivetrain simplifies functionality and reduces weight
  • New direct mount chainrings shed weight compared to a traditional spider
  • SRAM X-SYNC wide-tooth, narrow-tooth chainring technology provides maximum chain control
  • Laser-etched chainring finish is more durable
  • DUB bottom bracket adds durability, simplicity and broad compatibility
  • Can be upgraded to a power meter

210419_SRAM_XPLR_09916.jpg

FORCE 1 WIDE CRANKSET

We originated the 1x drivetrain, and the SRAM Force 1 Wide crankset evolves the innovation. It’s lighter, stronger and simpler and are direct mount for less weight. Wide variant cranks accommodate the largest of tires for your 1x gravel machine.

• Direct mount chainrings in 38t through 46t
  • DUB bottom bracket adds durability and simplicity
  • Wide chainline crankset to fit the biggest gravel tires
  • Longer DUB crank spindle accommodates both Road and MTB width frame bottom bracket standards for unmatched cross-compatibility across brands
  • Compatible with 135, 142 and Boost rear spacing
  • Can be upgraded to a power meter

SM3_XPLR_GoldHill_210707_JS_0472_L.jpg

XPLR SUSPENSION

RockShox brings the party to gravel with a new fork and dropper post. 

The allure of the open gravel road might be paradise for adventurous riders, but it still comes with its own set of tiny speed bumps. With so many gravel riders getting off-road, it was only a matter of time before we found our small-rock rhythm.

The all-new XPLR collection is designed specifically to make dirt road journeys extra efficient and more enjoyable. Suspension adds more comfort to take the edge off. It adds confidence and more control when the terrain gets challenging. And it means riding faster while maximizing your grip on rough roads. Built from the ground up to gravel, the new Rudy features enough travel to keep your ride comfortably in control when curiosity takes you off the beaten path. Matched with the fresh Reverb AXS XPLR, we’ve created a gravel specific design complete with built-in compliance to really open it up on new terrain.

Rudy Ultimate XPLR

The new Rudy is a perfect match for your gravel bike. It’s energy-efficient for straightaways and offers enough travel to keep you comfortably in control when things get rough. Featuring all-new 30mm upper tubes built around the Charger Race Day damper (our lightest damper ever) and our proven SoloAir spring. Rudy offers precise steering, full or short fender compatibility, and the looks to make your road bike proud. Everything designed with the needs of gravel riders in mind.

• Purpose-built and laser-focused on gravel and e-gravel bikes
  • 30mm upper tubes are light and look the part
  • 30mm or 40mm travel options
  • Charger Race Day damper tuned for gravel needs with rock-solid lockout and a full range of rebound adjust 
  • Solo Air spring perfectly tuned for shorter travel and efficiency over bumps
  • Short fender compatibility with a 3-bolt system
  • Full fender compatibility with custom stealth stay bosses
  • Lightweight machined and anodized crown offers a premium and durable finish
  • Maxima Plush damping fluid reduces friction and silences damper noise
  • Up to 700×50 tire clearance
  • Available in new Kwiqsand Signature colorway or Gloss Black
  • E-bike approved

Reverb AXS XPLR

The new Reverb AXS XPLR dropper post delivers more control, confidence, and fun on gravel roads everywhere. Getting the saddle out of the way means more room to move, saving you from awkward manoeuvring and sketchy descents. We created an all-new design complete with lightweight air-only internals featuring built-in compliance we call ActiveRide. It’s like travel for your saddle. Enabled by SRAM AXS technology, Reverb AXS XPLR is part of the ultimate personalized cockpit.

• New 27.2mm Reverb AXS XPLR delivers more control, confidence, and fun for gravel
  • ActiveRide – Air only internals provide a fully rigid top-out position. With the touch of your AXS controller, you’ve got built-in compliance to ensure comfort and control over the roughest sections of gravel
  • Two travel options to choose – 50mm or 75mm
  • Saddle clamp options compatible with 7mm round rails, 7x9mm oval rails, and 7x10mm oval rails
  • Seat post length includes 400mm and 350mm (50mm drop only)
  • AXS Technology allows rider customization via the AXS Mobile App
  • AXS handlebar controls (drop or flat bar)
  • Shared battery with all other SRAM AXS enabled components
  • System is completely waterproof and dustproof to IP69K – take it anywhere
  • SRAM AXS battery and charger included

101 XPLR wheelset

The 101 XPLR is our first purpose-built wheelset for gravel. Thanks to our MOTO Technology, this wheelset arms gravel cyclists with more control and durability over harsh terrain, providing a smooth ride quality that helps reduce rider fatigue. That means a more comfortable ride. Think of it as a magic carpet ride over primitive roads, especially with large tubeless tires at lower tire pressures. This wheelset is ideal for gravel racing, adventure or any long day in the saddle.

• ZR1 hubset for better seal design, improved durability and quicker response with 66 points of engagement
  • Our MOTO Technology, the 101 XPLR’s single-wall rim construction, provides excellent compliance and vibration damping
  • TyreWiz is an add-on option for 101 XPLR to dial in your pressure for an even more compliant ride
  • Available in 700c or 650b with a 27mm wide internal profile
  • Weights: 700c: 1,665g / 650b: 1590g
  • Available in two colors, Standard and Kwiqsand
  • Lifetime Warranty

210416_SRAM_XPLR_03781.jpg

G40 XPLR tire

The tire’s casing and bead-to-bead puncture protection strip navigates the fine line between supple and stiff so that grip and performance do not suffer while making an incredibly durable gravel tire

The G40 XPLR 40mm width was carefully selected to be most effective with its tread pattern while also fulfilling riders’ evolving preferences for wider tires for gravel events and off-pavement riding

• Weight: 480g
  • Tubeless Ready and Hookless compatible, tube compatible
  • ETRTO: 40-622 (700x40c)
  • Tan sidewall

Service Course SL-70 XPLR handlebar

• Updated distinctive Zipp cosmetics
  • 70mm reach and 115mm drop allow a comfortable hoods position and a shallow drops position
  • 5° drop flare and 11° drop outsweep creates a drops position 6cm wider than hoods
  • Ergonomic top with 3° backsweep
  • Matte Black nano blast aluminum
  • ISO 4210 compliant. See Declaration of Conformity for details.
  • Lifetime warranty

210419_SRAM_XPLR_10367.jpg

Related posts

Comments

DieselnDust

Aug 10, 2021, 8:17 PM

Oooooooh that 10 - 44 cassette... :love:

splat

Aug 11, 2021, 5:27 AM

Any word on availability ?
Not that I am in the market to buy, but all these beautiful product launches with no stock of (almost) anything feels frustrating.

A whole ton of interesting questions and comments here: https://bikerumor.com/2021/08/10/sram-xplr-gravel-group-debuts-rockshox-fork-dropper-wide-gearing-moto-wheels/

shaper

Aug 11, 2021, 6:03 AM

Alien Racer

Aug 11, 2021, 6:05 AM

I've been doing plenty off gravel riding, 1x chain ring will limit the top speed and limit the steep climbing ability. I rather prefer 2 x setup, more to chose from. i like to go where it's rough and steep. So no thanks to 1x.

DieselnDust

Aug 11, 2021, 7:31 AM

1 hour ago, Alien Racer said:

I've been doing plenty off gravel riding, 1x chain ring will limit the top speed and limit the steep climbing ability. I rather prefer 2 x setup, more to chose from. i like to go where it's rough and steep. So no thanks to 1x.

then use the AXS rival/force/red front derailleur, 2chianring crankset and shifter and a Eagle rer derailleur. They say the system is not designed for use with Eagle but it will work

Sid the Sloth

Aug 12, 2021, 11:44 AM

On 8/10/2021 at 10:17 PM, DieselnDust said:

Oooooooh that 10 - 44 cassette... :love:

I reckon for the similar money I would rather run eagle axs. I have found myself wanting more gears at 4 w/kg on steep climbs running 38f 42r, running a 44f 52r would offer a better top end and easier climbing. let alone doing a longer ride and adding another 5kg of baggage to the bike, I know that 52 would be used. 

DieselnDust

Aug 12, 2021, 12:06 PM

22 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I reckon for the similar money I would rather run eagle axs. I have found myself wanting more gears at 4 w/kg on steep climbs running 38f 42r, running a 44f 52r would offer a better top end and easier climbing. let alone doing a longer ride and adding another 5kg of baggage to the bike, I know that 52 would be used. 

I was thinking more along the lines of a tighter cassette on the MTB with maybe a 32 or 34T chainring

ACE Cycles

Aug 12, 2021, 12:19 PM

On 8/11/2021 at 8:05 AM, Alien Racer said:

But with a mullet build you have a 10-50t cassette, what more do you need?

Tomik

Aug 12, 2021, 12:45 PM

22 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

Exactly. 

Not sure what benefit a 10-44 will give besides slightly tighter gaps - actually seems like a step backwards. Have a mullet on my new GG - with a 40t up front it's good for 16% gradients with luggage.

The suspension fork doesn't appeal to me either...unweight the arms over the rough stuff. The seatpost looks interesting if it really can soak up corrugations but is really ugly. And will probably be R10k locally!

Shebeen

Aug 12, 2021, 1:07 PM

44 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

something like a 11-34cassette with a 26x42 chainring is the same range as a 10-50 cassette

the one with significantly more components is the cheaper option.

Fitbull

Aug 12, 2021, 1:46 PM

For all you guys who seem to be struggling.... its called a MTB!! ???? Grabs coat and runs.... :ph34r:

Broodryk

Aug 12, 2021, 1:52 PM

4 minutes ago, Fitbull said:

For all you guys who seem to be struggling.... its called a MTB!! ???? Grabs coat and runs.... :ph34r:

but can you run farther than a gravel rider can ride or longer? and they are even more comfortable with xlpr, so can ride even longer distances! XD

Shebeen

Aug 12, 2021, 2:11 PM

is it me or have SRAM quietly sneaked in a tyre range here?

Fitbull

Aug 12, 2021, 2:43 PM

45 minutes ago, Broodryk said:

but can you run farther than a gravel rider can ride or longer? and they are even more comfortable with xlpr, so can ride even longer distances! XD

Sadly I cant "run" very far at all ???? but having done quite a few ultra marathons I am pretty sure I can ride further and longer on my MTB. I am now also contemplating doing Munga, once again on my MTB. So yes, I am pretty sure I can go just as far as anyone on a gravel bike and in a lot more comfort and without having to worry about any technical sections!

PhilipV

Aug 12, 2021, 3:05 PM

1 hour ago, Broodryk said:

Yes. And yes, and I promise you that an mtb is still more comfortable than a gravel bike with xplr. The xplr gravel bike will however be lighter at similar price points, and probably by slightly faster. 

Stefan Cremer

Aug 16, 2021, 7:00 AM

On 8/12/2021 at 3:46 PM, Fitbull said:

With the worst possible MTB geo ever. So yes, an MTB, but not at all. For its intended purpose it's a winner. It carries loads with aplomb, has comfortable geo for looooooong days in the saddle and climbs really well. Yes, there are more comfortable ways to tackle corrugations, but then those more comfortable bikes have way too many drawbacks when it comes to 250km plus days in the saddle, or long tours.

BrentCGP

Aug 18, 2021, 10:06 AM

New New New. Yet they cant even deliver a single Sram Rival 1 Groupset. If anyone know where to find a set of Rival 1 HRD brakes please give me a shout. ???? Until then I have my eyes on the Germans to deliver a set in Dubai when one eventually becomes available. Not looking good tho.

Anyway, heres to hoping its not 18 months before I can finish my bike.

Jewbacca

Aug 18, 2021, 10:19 AM

How many guys commenting here consistently do 250km a day in the saddle? Never  mind consistently doing them when the combination of load, performance and comfort actually matter?

I dunno, for the once or twice a year I am unconvinced that a little bit of 'less suited but almost as good' and some cement tea isn't the real answer.

This and many of the justifications are answering questions and providing solutions to problems that only about 500 people globally need the answer to.

IMHO Bikes!!!! Buy it because it's rad. Justifying it makes it less rad.

ACE Cycles

Aug 18, 2021, 10:26 AM

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

How many guys commenting here consistently do 250km a day in the saddle? Never  mind consistently doing them when the combination of load, performance and comfort actually matter?

I dunno, for the once or twice a year I am unconvinced that a little bit of 'less suited but almost as good' and some cement tea isn't the real answer.

This and many of the justifications are answering questions and providing solutions to problems that only about 500 people globally need the answer to.

IMHO Bikes!!!! Buy it because it's rad. Justifying it makes it less rad.

Amen! It doesn't have to make sense, it only needs to make you happy

Add a comment

You must log in to comment