Tech

New Specialized Jett kids bikes focus on fit and adjustability

Press release from Specialized

· By Bike Hub Features · 12 comments

Making kids’ bikes is about supporting and nurturing the spirit of riding from the first moment a kid’s feet hit the pedals. Kick-starting their passion for riding by delivering a great first ride means kids are more likely to keep riding for years to come.

JettMS_1074_Sizes_Color.jpg

ONE SIZE DOESN’T FIT ALL

A new bike is a critical investment for families. Especially now, when parents are looking for safe, fun ways for their kids to get out and get active. At Specialized, we know that greater comfort opens the door for more riding. With kids’ bikes, comfort comes from a bike that fits well, and a design that’s kid-focused. Because of their growth spurts and growth patterns, the perfect fitting kids’ bike is a short-lived “just right”. Not only do kids deserve class-leading bikes, but they also deserve a bike that fits better, for longer. 

“A better fit means more comfort, leading to more rides, kick-starting a lifetime of riding. We’re here to inspire that.”

NEVER FEAR THE GROWTH SPURTS

We asked, and parents told us they want a bike that fits their kids for about 30 months or three summers. Our teams did their research and found that kids ages 5-12 grow in their arms and legs faster than their torso. So, we needed to make a bike that was proportional and adjustable for quickly growing arms and legs to achieve the perfect fit multiple times in the bike’s lifetime. 

DSC_2736.jpg

TEST WITH THE BEST

Consulting the cycling industry’s best bike fitters, we developed the Jett using the same study tactics that we use with world-class athletes. During “Bring Your Kids to Work Day” at our Boulder, CO office, we gathered data from our own kids. The team put kids on bikes and observed the mechanics of how they were riding. Were their knees aligned in their pedal stroke? Are their shoulders stacked properly? Which kids could reach the handlebars most easily? Are the components compatible for their size? The data collected was optimized in the design process to increase comfort, eliminate common pain points, prevent future injuries, and improve the rider’s potential to perform on the bike. 

ZEB09160.jpeg

START THE KIDS OFF RIGHT

We poured everything we’ve learned into the Jett. 

First, we looked at how to make the bike proportional. Components may seem like minor details, but the kids’ study proved that they make a world of difference for our riders. A kids-specific saddle and narrow q-factor crank create hip-knee-ankle alignment. This helps to avoid knee pain and improve pedaling power—so riders can pedal further, faster. Narrower grips and short-reach brake levers allow for better control and maneuverability, inspiring more confidence in riders. These components were developed so kids can ride in capable comfort.

JettMS_2260.jpeg

DESIGNED FOR GROWTH

Second, we took the average growth curve of kids, and built 30 months of growth into the adjustability of the Jett. Delivering more riding and more fun. Adjustability comes in the form of 2-hole positions for cranks, a long seatpost, and adjustable handlebars for extended reach. And what’s more, the Jett is a quality ride that weighs in at just 9.39kg/20.5 lbs (24”), enabling riders to keep up with the grown-ups or lead the pack. We’ve built the Jett to adjust to any level of capability, riding style, and growth pattern to help access kids’ full riding potential. 

growth_jett.jpeg

By looking at the highest growth potential for girls and boys ages 7-12, we were able to identify how much adjustability was needed to create a bike that would last for three seasons. This curve represents the maximum annual growth rate for a child, which occurs when children move from a low-height percentile to a high-height percentile. Now we have a much better understanding of how long the Jett will fit a rider.

“The adjustability unlocks a whole new level of comfort and confidence, in both riding and buying.”
– Specialized Development Team

JettMS_3352.jpeg

A LIFETIME OF RIDING

The Jett is the vehicle for riders to learn, grow, and eventually graduate to the next steps in their riding journey. It starts with that first push on two wheels and quickly evolves into skid stops and dive-bombing trails. Kids are always going and always growing, so they deserve a ride that fits—a bike that will inspire a lifetime of riding. To us, that’s a goal well worth the effort.

BSM07810.jpeg

BUILT FOR THE ROAD AHEAD

Our kids’ bikes are built based on a unifying belief—empowering little riders with the best first bikes will inspire a lifetime of riding. We created our four-step system to develop products in tandem with a rider’s growth path.

progression.png

jett_range.png

RECOMMENDED SIZING

Because we are focused on fit and skill level, we invite parents to select bikes based on the height and skill level of their rider. The Jett models are recommended for the following heights: 

• Jett 16” SS: 95cm – 121cm 
  • Jett 20” SS or Jett 20” MS: 102cm – 132cm
  • Jett 24” MS: 109cm – 147cm

The age range that typically correlates with these heights is 5-12 years old. 

Tags: ,

Related posts

Comments

ChrisF

May 14, 2021, 5:40 PM

Some interesting and WEIRD stats in their article ....

At 9 years and 9 months Maritz is already at 142cm.  And about 15% of his class mates are taller than him !!  

A rigid for the trails we ride ?  Uhm jaaaa, no thanks.  Maybe this is meant for trail parks with pump tracks.  Okay, the weight saving is a big plus.

V-brakes ... :(

Dont see details on the gears .....

The very low slung top tube certainly is a BIG plus point.

Cant find any pricing .....

Rolf Hansen

May 14, 2021, 8:41 PM

So the only thing that is more adjustable on it than any other kids bike is the pedal position on the crank arms ie. crank arm length?

The light weight is awesome but it looks more like an urban cruiser than a mountain bike. Why the V-brakes? With my kids I specifically bought them new bikes with the only real requirement being disc brakes. 

Rolf Hansen

May 14, 2021, 8:43 PM

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Some interesting and WEIRD stats in their article ....

At 9 years and 9 months Maritz is already at 142cm.  And about 15% of his class mates are taller than him !!  

A rigid for the trails we ride ?  Uhm jaaaa, no thanks.  Maybe this is meant for trail parks with pump tracks.  Okay, the weight saving is a big plus.

V-brakes ... :(

Dont see details on the gears .....

The very low slung top tube certainly is a BIG plus point.

Cant find any pricing .....

9 Speed MicroShift from what I can tell.

Many other kids bikes have a low top tube so I don't see anything new here?

ChrisF

May 15, 2021, 5:20 AM

Jip, over the last 5 years most manufacturers lowered the top tube on their kids bikes.

Truly nothing new ....

Rolf Hansen

May 15, 2021, 5:35 AM

My son has a Titan Hades. One downside is the weight but it has a low top tube,  disc brakes and a basic shock. 

I took this photo off the web but my son's is identical. 

$_86.jpg

ChrisF

May 15, 2021, 5:40 AM

1 minute ago, Rolf Hansen said:

My son has a Titan Hades. One downside is the weight but it has a low top tube,  disc brakes and a basic shock. 

I took this photo off the web but my son's is identical. 

$_86.jpg

Very nice bikes these Titans.

Maritz had the 24", been on the 24-9er for the last 18 months.

Only issue thus far ... bearing on the pedal ... Giant pedal.

Seriously impressed with these bikes.  Nice and rugged for kids, but as you said, it IS heavy ...

MORNE

May 15, 2021, 5:56 AM

Mine will have a bmx when he outgrows a balance bike...and when he gets to a point where he fits a or wants a mtb, i’ll build him one on a DJ/slopestyle frame first.Their low slung frames are perfect for that, and he’ll have his priorities in order ????

bertusras

May 15, 2021, 9:06 AM

So after reading this and the article about the Kenovo SL I've come to the conclusion that Specialized pays their marketing department exactly the right amount of money.

Rolf Hansen

May 15, 2021, 9:17 AM

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

Mine will have a bmx when he outgrows a balance bike...and when he gets to a point where he fits a or wants a mtb, i’ll build him one on a DJ/slopestyle frame first.Their low slung frames are perfect for that, and he’ll have his priorities in order ????

That soundsike a good idea. Most off the shelf kids bikes are terrible. 

My sons both had BMXes first. They loved them but we do trails every weekend and a BMX is not the ideal trail weapon. 

The Titan Hades 24D is great for my 8 year old. Anything bigger will be too hard for him to manage. Once he gets a little bigger I will put my 26" RockShox Reba Team fork on the front with the light American Classic wheels and see how it turns out as a mullet.  

My 12 year old has a small frame 26er which at this point is slightly too big for him but he should grow into it in a few months. 

ChrisF

May 15, 2021, 12:07 PM

Rolf you are spot on.

Kids bikes falls in two basic groups:

- Affordable bikes.....  Does the job okay, but very basic specs, and heavy.

- Then there are a few bikes with slightly better specs, still heavy, and insanely expensive !!

When we bought the 24-9er (26" with a small frame), I had three options:

- very entry level ....

- 1x9 bike with basic components.

- 1x11 with SRAM NX (if I recall correctly) for R15k.

We went with the 1x9, and bought 1x11 Shimano SLX components.  He has a VERY nice bike, and still a lot less than their off the shelf 1x11 with NX components.

Building the green Mongoose was the BEST money we ever spent ... not on a bike, but on his learning curve and his understanding of what bicycle maintenance is actually about.  He already rides around the yard, but needs about 2cm on the inseam to safely ride it on trails ....  Looking forward to when he can start using the super light frame ...

Shebeen

May 15, 2021, 1:48 PM

17 hours ago, Rolf Hansen said:

So the only thing that is more adjustable on it than any other kids bike is the pedal position on the crank arms ie. crank arm length?

The light weight is awesome but it looks more like an urban cruiser than a mountain bike. Why the V-brakes? With my kids I specifically bought them new bikes with the only real requirement being disc brakes. 

I'm assuming they have adjusted geometry to handle a shift on stem/seat post as the bike grows.

Maybe no one has really done this properly before, but it should be easy to measure.

If the jett 24 looks the same as a hotrock24 then we know it's just marketing

Rolf Hansen

May 15, 2021, 2:00 PM

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I'm assuming they have adjusted geometry to handle a shift on stem/seat post as the bike grows.

Maybe no one has really done this properly before, but it should be easy to measure.

If the jett 24 looks the same as a hotrock24 then we know it's just marketing

Yes I have done a fit for them. My eldest son can do with a slightly shorter stem which I will get in the near future. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment