Tech

PowerTap announces new P1 pedal and C1 chainring power meters

· By Press Office · 46 comments

PowerTap reasserts its position as market leader with the addition of two new power meters to their portfolio with the P1 pedal and C1 chainring. Through years of observations, testing, development and hard work, PowerTap is committed to providing power measurement products with the accuracy that cyclists deserve.

With the introduction of these new products, PowerTap will lead the industry by becoming the first and only cycling power meter company with a complete portfolio of power meter products for multiple locations on the bike.

ccs-62657-0-94503800-1426504320.jpg

The P1 pedal is a simple, intelligent and uncompromising design that provides the same proven PowerTap accuracy and reliability. The simple one-piece design easily mounts to any crank and does not require calibration nor installation angle setting for a true “plug-and-play” experience.

ccs-62657-0-52352200-1426504325.jpg

The P1 also features dual band ANT+ and Bluetooth SMART for compatibility with a multitude of head units and smart devices. Plus, the independent measurement opens the possibility for a new set of pedalling metrics previously unavailable.

ccs-62657-0-91847500-1426504322.jpg

The C1 chainring is a full featured, crank-based power meter that features dual-sided measurement. Available in multiple chainring tooth options for 5 bolt, 110 BCD cranks, the C1 mounts to existing hardware on the bike. Additionally, dual band ANT+ and Bluetooth SMART connectivity make the C1 an obvious choice for riders looking for more features and better value.

ccs-62657-0-00720200-1426504311.jpg

The new PowerTap G3 disc hub puts a new spin on disc brake hubs. With a sleeker, smaller and lighter-weight design the PowerTap G3 disc hub shaves an additional 180 grams – a weight saving of more than 30% over the previous model. Built on the popular G3 hub platform the new and improved G3 Disc Hub is available in 24- and 28-hole options and is available as 142x12mm thru axle or 135mm QR for a variety of use cases. The straight pull spoke and wider flange design sports improved wheel stiffness for better power transfer.

ccs-62657-0-55375800-1426504317.jpg

“We have spent the past 15 years learning from and educating cyclists on all facets of training with power,” says PowerTap President, Jeff Frehner. “Our passion for making cyclists better by utilising power measurement remains at the core of why we are in this business. We strive to always be the experts in the power measurement category.”

PowerTap is excited to expand their power meter portfolio and unleash the P1 and C1 to the power training world. Follow @powertap on Twitter to stay up to date on product availability.

Comments

shaper

Mar 17, 2015, 4:16 AM

Pity the C1 is only 110 BCD, PT need to come up with a 130 BCD as well.

Nice to see the market becoming more competitive, hopefully prices will become to!

BicyclePower

Mar 17, 2015, 4:39 AM

Pity the C1 is only 110 BCD, PT need to come up with a 130 BCD as well. Nice to see the market becoming more competitive, hopefully prices will become to!

There may be other options in the near future however with the majority of the market running 110BCD and the 5 bolt system this is the focus for now. should the chain rings not work on your bike we can offer pedal or hub making PowerTap the only power system that will work on pretty much any bike in one way or another. 

gtr1

Mar 17, 2015, 4:51 AM

What are the costs !

Spinnekop

Mar 17, 2015, 5:33 AM

Current exchange rate $ gives you R15k for the pedals.

Almost double my Stages' price. 

And with the chainrings not Cannondale able, I won't be getting a set anytime soon.

Pity as the MTB is standing without a PM.....

Thomo

Mar 17, 2015, 5:33 AM

Pity the C1 is only 110 BCD, PT need to come up with a 130 BCD as well. Nice to see the market becoming more competitive, hopefully prices will become to!

130bcd would be nice to avoid having to change cranks.

They do however make provision for 53/39 chainrings, so I gues this is a way to satisfy the bulk of the market.

+1 on anticipated cost.?

Spinnekop

Mar 17, 2015, 5:41 AM

A fair comment by someone on another forum that carries my EXACT sentiments:

"Hard to understand what PT is trying to do here. Introducing a $1200 PM in this climate is odd. Let alone one that seems to be a copy of another that's priced similarly and doesn't seem to be flying off the shelves itself.

The chainring one might need some clarification. The strain gauge is attached to the rings? What about wear or a bent ring?"

with the majority of the market running 110BCD

Really?  :blink:  :blink:

I must get new friends.....none of them are running 110..... :whistling:

gtr1

Mar 17, 2015, 6:10 AM

Only advantage of pedal is it could work with carbon crank I assume ? And I suppose you could swap between bikes. Although not mtb pedals by the look of it.

Always a challenge with multiple bikes !!

Road bike, track bike, 2x mtb's :-(

LOOK695

Mar 17, 2015, 6:15 AM

Pricing and availability?

Skinnyone

Mar 17, 2015, 6:40 AM

Only advantage of pedal is it could work with carbon crank I assume ? And I suppose you could swap between bikes. Although not mtb pedals by the look of it.

Always a challenge with multiple bikes !!

Road bike, track bike, 2x mtb's :-(

That is the idea yes, both with the pedal and chainrings is that they will work on carbon cranks. 

Mtb "power pedals" will always be a challenge because as with any thing, you ADD technology and something that is beneficial to training and all of a sudden the weight weenies cry "it's too heavy/bulky/not fast/will slow me down....

Skinnyone

Mar 17, 2015, 6:42 AM

A fair comment by someone on another forum that carries my EXACT sentiments:

"Hard to understand what PT is trying to do here. Introducing a $1200 PM in this climate is odd. Let alone one that seems to be a copy of another that's priced similarly and doesn't seem to be flying off the shelves itself.

The chainring one might need some clarification. The strain gauge is attached to the rings? What about wear or a bent ring?"

Really?  :blink:  :blink:

I must get new friends.....none of them are running 110..... :whistling:

I think a company like PowerTap has done research on the global market and found that the majority of the GLOBAL market runs 110 BCD and its just the Saffas who are playing catch up....

Skinnyone

Mar 17, 2015, 6:44 AM

Current exchange rate $ gives you R15k for the pedals.

Almost double my Stages' price. 

And with the chainrings not Cannondale able, I won't be getting a set anytime soon.

Pity as the MTB is standing without a PM.....

I suppose lowering yourself ride PowerTap is not gonna happen then huh...

Spinnekop

Mar 17, 2015, 7:03 AM

I suppose lowering yourself ride PowerTap is not gonna happen then huh...

Nope,........not lowering for sure....I WISH I was that rich to afford one!

But if you have a GOOD look around you.....about 2% of people have powermeters? 

How will you penetrate this market?  If I was to be......lets say a power meter manufacturer....?

Definitely price.

Why will I not buy PT?  It is too expensive for the advantage I get. 

And the "general" compact riding dude will also think so......

At this point in time PT brought out a product "just like the rest, pricing like the rest".

So it boils down to brand loyalty. 

Don't take stuff so personal on this forum dude.  You won't get out alive.  Trust me on this one.

Take notes and LEARN/LISTEN to your audience. 

;)

Good luck on your sales.

Spinnekop

Mar 17, 2015, 7:05 AM

I think a company like PowerTap has done research on the global market and found that the majority of the GLOBAL market runs 110 BCD and its just the Saffas who are playing catch up....

Well....with the highest mountain sitting in Sabie and the rest of the SA callender climbing 1000m per race I guess Powertap is about 20 years ahead of the SA market as there is not much of a need for compact cranks.  ;)

Skinnyone

Mar 17, 2015, 7:11 AM

Thanks Spinnekop, it does boil down to brand loyalty, you stick to what makes you happy. 

Simple fact is the pedals work out to be cheaper and more accurate than the Garmin/Polar options and the Spider/Ring is the same price as the cheaper Stages offerings - apples for apples...As a company that produces stuff for an industry like ours you will NEVER make 100% of people happy 100% of the time. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Spinnekop

Mar 17, 2015, 7:12 AM

and all of a sudden the weight weenies cry "it's too heavy/bulky/not fast/will slow me down....

It is not so much the weight that bothers most MTBers...

If you pay attention to the market, you'll see most MTBers don't worry about weigh....

Now....

Ground clearance on the other hand and scraping pedals......not THERE is a bit of an issue.

But maybe that is just me......

Spinnekop

Mar 17, 2015, 7:13 AM

As a company that produces stuff for an industry like ours you will NEVER make 100% of people happy 100% of the time.

Nail on the head!  :thumbup:

LOOK695

Mar 17, 2015, 7:13 AM

I would definitely be interested in the chainring option. Some more info and pics available on dc rainmaker and bikeradar

Spinnekop

Mar 17, 2015, 7:17 AM

and the Spider/Ring is the same price as the cheaper Stages offerings

Stages....R12k?

Spider....$1100? 

mmmmmmmmm

heheheh..

Also.  Chainrings I have to replace every 25000km.  Let's say 2 years.

Stages don't. 

I personally think it is a different market all together.

Why did PT make it part of the chainrings?  Does not add up for me......you are looking at "Tru ruf tuf Saffa Mountain bikers that LOVE to ride in the mud and grind dust and wash their bike 2 times a year."

Chainrings is a bit of a raplace-once-a-month type of thing if I have a look at Sani/Sabie/Epic riders.....

Yes?  No?

Skinnyone

Mar 17, 2015, 7:31 AM

The chainrings are replaceable just like any other ring...it is the spider you are buying...but you knew that...Listen I'm done answering Trolls do your homework before slating a new product and nay saying everything about it...

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2015/03/14/1426297458939-jhlbcnqvovdo-700-80.jpg

Barend de Arend

Mar 17, 2015, 7:35 AM

The chainrings are replaceable just like any other ring...it is the spider you are buying...

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2015/03/14/1426297458939-jhlbcnqvovdo-700-80.jpg

That spider moves inboard quite a bit.  Is this BB86 / BB386 compatible?

Spinnekop

Mar 17, 2015, 7:37 AM

The chainrings are replaceable just like any other ring...it is the spider you are buying...but you knew that...Listen I'm done answering Trolls do your homework before slating a new product and nay saying everything about it...

Ha!

SO ek lees soos my gat.  Makes better sense!

Barend de Arend

Mar 17, 2015, 7:39 AM

130bcd would be nice to avoid having to change cranks.

They do however make provision for 53/39 chainrings, so I gues this is a way to satisfy the bulk of the market.

+1 on anticipated cost.?

Bulk of the market means Shimano, means 4-bolt 110 BCD.

Powertap also needs to look at the TT market, because powertap hubs don't work in discs[1].  That means they should also look at 54 and 56 tooth rings.

[1] disc wheel covers do work.

Barend de Arend

Mar 17, 2015, 7:43 AM

If the rings are replaceable without shipping to the factory for recalibration, and the spider is small enough so it works on most bikes, I think they have large potential market.

gtr1

Mar 17, 2015, 8:05 AM

For me the challenge with power meters is how to have a training aid that covers different bike types and equipment ???

Pedal idea is good, but they do take a hammering on a mtb. Not sure the damage that could cause.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment