Tech

Project BLACK: Part 3 – The Light Enduro Build

· By Nick · 22 comments

South Africa’s the leader in MTB stage races, but it is also adopting enduro racing with fervour. Fast catching on around South Africa, this discipline attracts a new breed of rider: from XCO and DH. Does that mean you need another bike in your garage? We’d say yes (as you can never have too many), but the bank manager might having something to say about that…

VIPA_CUSTOM_BUILD_3_SIDE.jpg
One bike with three personalities: the bike geeks at Momsen in Port Elizabeth have cooked up a lightweight enduro racer in the final instalment of their Project BLACK series. The murdered out VIPA frame takes a central role once more, transforming almost fluidly from an 8.35kg weight weenie build, to a 9.60kg World Cup XCO race rig and now to a 10.82kg enduro bike. That is pretty versatile by anyone’s definition.

VIPA_CUSTOM_BUILD_3_REAR.jpg
Enduro requires speed; on the downhill’s, climbs, flats and twisting tight turns. This is singletrack, on speed. A light bike is most desired, but with enough travel for the rider to tackle jumps with confidence. The trick is that the bike should still be able to climb, and climb well. Read on to see how the Momsen men achieved this.

VIPA 3 Rear Shock 8741.jpg
VIPA 3 Front Forks 8755.jpg

Equipped with a Rockshox Revelation 130mm fork and a Cane Creek DB Inline rear shock, the dynamics of their low leverage ratio suspension design and frame geometry engineered with Patrick Morewood makes this devour jumps, berms and rock gardens with ease. The 80mm of rear travel don’t feel that way on the trails: that is down to the black magic worked by Patrick Morewood and Victor Momsen.

VIPA 3 Mudguard 8738.jpg

One bike, three personalities.

SRAM’s XX1 drivetrain with KMC’s superlight X11SL chain are bolted to the carbon frame, fitted with Momsen Design’s DOWNer 60mm Carbon stem, 715mm wide UP/DOWN carbon handlebars dressed with their Race Silicone grips add race-winning bling to the build. To make this bike stand out even more as a serious enduro machine, they have equipped it with a Rockshox Reverb dropper seatpost, SRAM’s XO Trail brakes, and the now ubiquitous fender, a Momsen Design carbon model. The saddle’s a Fizik Thar, and they’ve completed the build with grippy Arisun/Momsen Tubeless Ready (TLR) tyres mated to Stan’s NoTubes ZTR Arch EX wheels with 3.30 hubs.

VIPA 3 Brake lever 8765.jpg

This isn’t just an enduro bike built from equipment lying around in their offices. The enduro build has been a pet project of Victor Momsen and his staff who’ve themselves embraced enduro racing and riding. They’ve built this to be the bike they shred with, they love riding and one we’d love to ride and race too. We now understand why Momsen calls the VIPA a “superbike” – it does just about everything, and does it with South African style and flair for performance.

VIPA 3 Drop Seat 8759.jpg
VIPA 3 Front Brake disc 8778.jpg
If you missed Part 1 and Part 2 of the Project BLACK series, take a look at the Weight Weenie build here and the Real World Racer build here.

Comments

TheV

Sep 1, 2014, 4:57 AM

Really? You can't be serious this time. Just delete the post and let's all pretend it didn't happen.

awesme

Sep 1, 2014, 5:07 AM

TheV,

I'm sure you'd be first in line with "Just need another bike" and a excuse all ready and polished to be used.

G

Really? You can't be serious this time. Just delete the post and let's all pretend it didn't happen.

jugheaddave

Sep 1, 2014, 6:43 AM

Very awesome bike!!

Nimby

Sep 1, 2014, 6:54 AM

Light trail bike - maybe. Enduro bike with 80mm rear travel - don't think so...

EdGe

Sep 1, 2014, 7:43 AM

Another sweet build!

Flowta

Sep 1, 2014, 7:45 AM

Light trail bike - maybe. Enduro bike with 80mm rear travel - don't think so...

European Enduro? NO!

South African Enduro? Yes

Bos

Sep 1, 2014, 8:14 AM

Jaa nee.. Think they can stop pushing this bike now, getting a bit tired of it

That unbalanced suspension is a receipy for desaster and they should know better. Throw in Pat Morewood's name into the mix and everyone beleves what they are saying, but when ridden hard this settup will send you flying.

With 130mm up front and 80mm on the back you'll get "bucked" on big hits..

The rear will be ramping up when the fork is still flying through its mid travel sending your momentum and weight forward.

Ad steep downhills a bit of speed and some big hits as you'll find in Enduro and you will be sent over the bars no matter what your skill level.

Hairy

Sep 1, 2014, 5:15 PM

Well my ss is a ht with a 140mm fork.

Trail bike would be a better description for this momsen build in my mind.

Bizkit031

Sep 1, 2014, 5:22 PM

Why spend so much time with their **Superbike** just design a Enduro bike,do it the right way. There is one design flaw with this bike which is very similar to the Pyga and that is this the suspension design induces brake jack.But with the issues of patents and stuff you are limited to what you can do and use.

EdGe

Sep 2, 2014, 7:51 AM

Why spend so much time with their **Superbike** just design a Enduro bike,do it the right way. There is one design flaw with this bike which is very similar to the Pyga and that is this the suspension design induces brake jack.But with the issues of patents and stuff you are limited to what you can do and use.

To "just design" a bike? It sounds like it takes 5 minutes, @MariusKlokie ;-)

Any SA brand I will support. PYGA and Momsen Bikes all the way!!

Fabian46

Sep 2, 2014, 8:09 AM

They're not claiming that this is a world beater....merely emphasizing the versatility of the VIPA frame. I agree with HAiry....trail bike would maybe be a better description...but that wouldnt have invoked any kind debate....hehe

Its like a Polo Cross, or Nissan Juke....."not quite....but somewhere in between"

rock

Sep 2, 2014, 8:23 AM

this incarnation should just be called a mountain bike.

Bizkit031

Sep 2, 2014, 12:56 PM

To "just design" a bike? It sounds like it takes 5 minutes, @MariusKlokie ;-)

Any SA brand I will support. PYGA and Momsen Bikes all the way!!

I did not say I will not support SA brands and I did not say that it takes 5 minutes to design a bike,all I pointed out was a design flaw and there are a lot of guys who know that and will confirm it. I really do think Momsen must design a Enduro bike,I am not a race snake or marathoner so the Vipa is not really my thing. Don't get me wrong it's a good looking bike but Enduro rigs are way better for me,and I really do support SA brands and believe in them.

Hairy

Sep 2, 2014, 1:01 PM

Those tyres are also not very #ENDURO specific or even really much of a trail tyre either from the looks of things.

Bizkit031

Sep 2, 2014, 1:08 PM

Those tyres are also not very #ENDURO specific or even really much of a trail tyre either from the looks of things.

Those are their XC tires made by Arisun,they need some aggressive tires on their.
Headshot

Sep 3, 2014, 10:04 AM

Add some decent tyres like Hans Dampfs in 2.35 and the weight would climb to well over 11 kg. I'd trash those tyres in no time - I can imagine them burping off, wallowy sidewalls and holes through the tread leading to rapid deflation and dinged rims.

If you like your riding more XC than DH then it'sprobably perfect, but if you want a dual purpose bike that can handle the odd dh line, then this won't work too well...

TheV

Sep 3, 2014, 1:00 PM

Trail/Enduro/AM my ass, this bike is not any of those, and I seriously don't think they intentionally designed it to be "versatile" as such. In my opinion they should ask for this article to be delete, cause it's just ridiculous.

blackwing

Sep 4, 2014, 8:46 AM

I think a 130mm 29er (Commencal Meta) or a (120mm-140mm) 650b/26er bike should be the perfect bike for hitting trails and /or Enduro events in South Africa. Hell, I have a friend who completed the Transbaviaans on his 140mm Shova 26er in eleven and a half hours.

If I had the skills of Nino Schurter, then yes, I might have been able to win an Enduro with it on local soil, but I don't.

I agree with some of the above mentioned comments....just delete the article and pretend you never posted it.

Hairy

Sep 4, 2014, 9:04 AM

I think a 130mm 29er (Commencal Meta) or a (120mm-140mm) 650b/26er bike should be the perfect bike for hitting trails and /or Enduro events in South Africa. Hell, I have a friend who completed the Transbaviaans on his 140mm Shova 26er in eleven and a half hours.

If I had the skills of Nino Schurter, then yes, I might have been able to win an Enduro with it on local soil, but I don't.

I agree with some of the above mentioned comments....just delete the article and pretend you never posted it.

Not exactly a fair comparison as the Shovs is just the monkies nuts, and an exceptional bike.

MW bikes... if you are reading this, a 650B Shova would be lekker too :)

Hi-Jack Offf

Headshot

Sep 4, 2014, 10:01 AM

Forget those last two comments guys - follow the marketing article above and re-bond your house to buy a carbon everything bike for R110k. Just do it :-)

Evo R

Sep 4, 2014, 6:21 PM

Interesting.

needleshy

Sep 4, 2014, 6:31 PM

Tisk tisk

Add a comment

You must log in to comment