Tech

Quarq introduce ShockWiz suspension tuning system

· By Press Office · 54 comments

ShockWiz is a suspension tuning system for air-sprung mountain bikes that combines high-tech hardware with an intuitive smartphone app.

ccs-62657-0-12999700-1487151821.jpg

Lightweight, durable and powered by a long-lasting coin cell battery, ShockWiz automatically records and evaluates suspension performance every time you ride. The ShockWiz app displays straightforward adjustments that unite bike, terrain and riding style. ShockWiz works for all mountain bike riders, regardless of their experience or bike’s intended use. With ShockWiz, you know exactly how your suspension is performing – and how to make it better.

How it works

ShockWiz’s small, waterproof case houses a highly accurate pressure sensor and microprocessor. You connect it to your fork or shock’s Schrader valve and it samples air pressure 100 times-a-second while you ride.

Finely tuned algorithms analyze the changes in pressure to detect undesirable characteristics such as pogo, pack-down or bob, and class their severity. If a characteristic is severe or persistent ShockWiz will determine the adjustment required to fix it – baseline air pressure, air spring ramp, rebound, compression – and display this in the smartphone app.

ccs-62657-0-60165800-1487151824.png
ccs-62657-0-82759600-1487151827.png

Validation

The engineering principles behind ShockWiz were derived from thousands of hours of laboratory and on-bike tests. The tests verified that suspension displacement could be interpreted from changes in air pressure.

ShockWiz’s algorithms came from detailed analysis of suspension data from all types of mountain bikes and terrain, and using a range of riders — from beginners to racers in the Enduro World Series and Mountain Bike World Cup.

Target audience

ShockWiz is designed for all mountain bike riders, regardless of their riding style or how much suspension travel their bike has.
It works on hardtail and dual suspension bikes, and for all levels of skill, speed and terrain.

ShockWiz teaches novices basic suspension tuning concepts and adjustments. It shows experts how one adjustment can affect others and helps them learn advanced tuning concepts.

ccs-62657-0-28941300-1487151819.png
ccs-62657-0-49235200-1487151820.png

New category

ShockWiz creates a new product category: MTB suspension tuning that combines high- tech mechanical sensing with an app that delivers easy to understand recommendations.

Features & Benefits

• Automated tuning recommendations.
  • Shock tuning score — a snapshot of how well your suspension is set up for you
  • Works on hardtail and dual suspension bikes. Works for Cross-Country, Trail, All Mountain and Downhill
  • Inexpensive, replaceable CR2032 battery lasts for months
  • Waterproof and dust proof — IP67 rating
  • Two alternative hoses (included) offer a range of fitting options
  • Smartphone App is compatible with Apple and Android phones

Hardware specifications

Weight: 45g (with rubber mounting boot and valve caps)
Wireless Communication: Bluetooth low energy (also called BLE; formerly called Bluetooth Smart)
Waterproof, Dust Proof Rating: IP67
Battery Type: CR2032
Air Volume: ShockWiz and one hose add around 0.50mL of air volume. (The volume of a single M&M candy piece is 0.60-0.65mL.)

Hardware compatibility

ShockWiz is compatible with most air-sprung forks and rear shocks from many different manufacturers.

Compatible: The fork or shock must have a positive chamber with a single volume. RockShox Solo Air is compatible. RockShox Dual Air is compatible.

Partial Compatibility: Adjustable travel forks such as TALAS and Down Low Adjust need to be kept in the same travel
position or a new calibration is required. Non-linear, bump detecting dampers such as Terralogic, Brain, iCTD and E:I will not work as well, but you still get usable suggestions.

Not Compatible: Suspension with variable chambers such as DRCV and Equalizer are not supported. Suspension where the positive and negative chambers are joined when a shock pump is installed, such as some Manitou forks, or filled through the negative chamber, such as White Brothers and MRP forks, are not supported. RockShox Dual Position Air is not compatible.

ccs-62657-0-60939600-1487151821.jpg

Software compatibility

The ShockWiz app is compatible with most smartphones and tablets that feature Bluetooth Low Energy (formerly called Bluetooth Smart).

Android devices require Jellybean 4.3 or newer and Apple devices require iOS 9 or newer. The app includes language translations.

Hardware wireless regulatory compliance

Australia (AU), Austria ( AT), Belgium (BE), Bulgaria (BG), Canada (CA), Czech Republic (CZ), Cyprus (CY), Denmark (DK), Estonia (EE), Finland (FI), France (FR), Germany (DE), Greece (EL), Hungary (HU), Iceland (IS), Ireland (IE), Italy (IT), Latvia (LV), Liechtenstein (LI), Lithuania (LT), Luxembourg (LU), Malta (MT), Netherlands (NL), New Zealand (NZ), Norway (NO), Poland (PL), Portugal (PT), Romania (RO), Slovakia (SK), Slovenia (SI), Spain (ES), Sweden (SE), Switzerland (CH), United Kingdom (UK), and United States of America (US)

As at Thursday January 26, 2017.

International pricing

AM Quarq ShockWiz: $399 / €419 / £359 / AUD $529

AM Quarq ShockWiz Direct Mount: $449 / €469 / £409 / AUD $579. Dedicated version for inverted forks such as the RockShox RS-1.

Related posts

Comments

BaGearA

Feb 15, 2017, 3:46 PM

JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR did I read that price right !?!?!?

Thought I would get one as soon as they were launched ......uhm NO

Odinson

Feb 15, 2017, 3:50 PM

International pricing

AM Quarq ShockWiz: $399 / €419 / £359 / AUD $529

AM Quarq ShockWiz Direct Mount: $449 / €469 / £409 / AUD $579. Dedicated version for inverted forks such as the RockShox RS-1.

HA ha HA ha HA ha HA

GTFO of town, SRAM.

Rudi Pollard

Feb 15, 2017, 3:54 PM

That is stupid money for a problem that does not even really exist...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mohs

Feb 15, 2017, 4:37 PM

die move is pure jagsgeit...

BigTom

Feb 15, 2017, 4:51 PM

JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR did I read that price right !?!?!?

Thought I would get one as soon as they were launched ......uhm NO

Maybe buy two? ;)

BaGearA

Feb 15, 2017, 6:33 PM

Hows about I buy one and rent it out ??

Discounted fee for hubbers with more than 1000 posts of course  :D

cadenceblur

Feb 16, 2017, 6:23 AM

bike shops should buy them as a diagnostic tool.

Edge_Design

Feb 16, 2017, 6:42 AM

You could probably do fairly well renting it out at R500/week or something along those lines. I can't imagine there are many riders who need to have their own one permanently. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one for a few days - I know my suspension setup is terrible.

Cyklon

Feb 16, 2017, 7:04 AM

Forkit ! nuf said

T-Bob

Feb 16, 2017, 7:06 AM

A good idea to see how your forks are tuned if you could rent it for a week. I'm a set and forget'r but there are nerds who tinker endlessly. I'd just like to know if I'm anywhere near the right settings as I've never done laps adjusting this thing and that thing. I'd rent it for a week, get my settings adjusted and then superglue all the dials. 

GLuvsMtb

Feb 16, 2017, 7:59 AM

I think every bike shop should invest in these and include a week's use for free when you purchase a new bike.

I also think that all shops should include a bike fit in the pricing of a new bike too. Just like a poorly set up riding position, poorly set up suspension can ruin what would normally be a good bike.

stefmeister

Feb 16, 2017, 9:09 AM

I think every bike shop should invest in these and include a week's use for free when you purchase a new bike.

I also think that all shops should include a bike fit in the pricing of a new bike too. Just like a poorly set up riding position, poorly set up suspension can ruin what would normally be a good bike.

But that would imply the bike shop actually provided a service with your purchase. What's next? A 12 month service plan?

Isn't waiting 2+ weeks for stock to arrive, and no demo models available already enough?  :whistling:

Nibali

Feb 16, 2017, 9:34 AM

If you open the Brain on the fork/shock, it should give accurate feedback on what the fork/shock is doing. Get the settings right and set the Brain again. Am I right in thinking this?

Price is a bit ridiculous though.

BaGearA

Feb 16, 2017, 9:40 AM

If you open the Brain on the fork/shock, it should give accurate feedback on what the fork/shock is doing. Get the settings right and set the Brain again. Am I right in thinking this?

Price is a bit ridiculous though.

How exactly you set how sensitive the inertia valve is and that is basically all the brain does , other than that your rebound and commpresion is the same as any other fork.

GLuvsMtb

Feb 16, 2017, 11:05 AM

But that would imply the bike shop actually provided a service with your purchase. What's next? A 12 month service plan?

Isn't waiting 2+ weeks for stock to arrive, and no demo models available already enough? :whistling:

I guess I am shopping at the right shops then. I've never had issues with stock to come or demo bikes to try out. Hell the shops I go to even makes a mean Espresso to enjoy while I chit-chat to the owners / staff. But back on-topic. Value-add in the delivery of a service will be key to bike shops that want to be successful going forward.
Donovan Le Cok

Feb 16, 2017, 12:03 PM

Very keen to get one of these!

Shebeen

Feb 16, 2017, 1:09 PM

reverse engineering this is not a big deal.

pressure sensor - 5$

3 axis accelermoeter - 10$

if it really works, then someone else will do the work

splat

Feb 16, 2017, 2:04 PM

I would LOVE to rent one for a week, if available

BaGearA

Feb 16, 2017, 2:40 PM

pressure sensor - 5$

Lets go into business , we'll sell them for R2000 and call them shoc-doc  :whistling:

Patent pending

Headshot

Feb 16, 2017, 2:45 PM

This thing is aimed at Enduro and DH riders in the main I suspect. Short travel suspension presents far fewer tuning issues/options than the 120mm and over department. As forks and shocks get more settings parameters a device like this becomes more useful. But at that price they can keep it. 

mtb impi

Feb 16, 2017, 10:28 PM

Could have bought a handful, saving me twice the trip to a hospital, due to poor suspension setup.

Cogent Industries

Feb 17, 2017, 8:50 AM

+ Arduino or Raspberry Pi

pressure sensor - 5$

Capricorn

Feb 17, 2017, 8:56 AM

+ Arduino or Raspberry Pi

i think the true value of shockwiz resides within the software and the thousands of existing data points the device seems to rely on to make recommendations on changes to the shock&fork settings. the hardware in comparison, is childsplay.

BaGearA

Feb 17, 2017, 8:58 AM

i think the true value of shockwiz resides within the software and the thousands of existing data points the device seems to rely on to make recommendations on changes to the settings. the hardware in comparison, is childsplay.

True , I can program arduinos pretty extensively but would have no idea how to interpret the data that comes back and that where the app comes into its own

Add a comment

You must log in to comment