Tech

Review: 2015 Momsen VIPA AC

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 20 comments

We’ve had a Momsen VIPA AC in the office for a little while now. Since my own carbon VIPA XT has been sitting in pieces pending a rebuild it was a perfect time to put in some testing.

Before we get stuck into the review let me clarify that this is the 2015 spec. Although the 2016 models have been announced and are already available, the frame is fundamentally the same and is still an interesting comparison to the carbon version.

Momsen VIPA AC 2015-1.jpg

Specifications

• FrameAlloy Front Triangle, Carbon Rear Triangle, 80mm Rear Wheel Travel
  • SizesSmall, Medium, Large, X-Large
  • ForkFOX Float CTD, 100mm Travel, 15mm Thru-Axle
  • Rear ShockFOX Float CTD Rear Shock
  • ChainwheelShimano XT, 38/24T
  • Bottom BracketShimano Pressfit
  • F. DerailleurShimano SLX Direct Mount
  • R. DerailleurShimano XT
  • ShifterShimano Deore Trigger
  • Brake LeversShimano M615 Hydraulic
  • BrakesShimano M615 Hydraulic
  • CassetteShimano HG50-10, 11-36T
  • RimsStan’s No Tubes ZTR Rapid Tubeless Ready, 32H
  • TiresKenda Honey Badger XC Pro, 29×2.05 SCT Tubeless
  • PedalsN/A
  • HandlebarAlloy Flat Top 29er, 700mm
  • StemAlloy Forged, 31.8mm Oversize
  • SeatpostAlloy Micro-Adjust
  • SeatSelle Royal Seta S1
  • HeadsetAlloy Taper
  • ColorsGrey w/Gold, Black and White Details
  • ChainKMC 10 Speed
  • HubsetShimano Deore, 15mm Front, 142 x 12mm Rear, 32H
  • SpokesStainless Butted with Alloy Nipples
  • GripsSilicone Race
  • WeightMedium: 12.35kg (Excl. Pedals)
  • Retail PriceR 37 995.00

Frame
The VIPA AC is an aluminium and carbon hybrid which features a carbon rear triangle and aluminium front end. The geometry matches that of the carbon version with the only key difference (aside from material) being that the AC is also available in XL, whereas the carbon models stop at Large.

Differences versus the 2016 model? Looking at only the frame the most significant change is the inclusion of a second bottle cage mount in the front triangle (M, L and XL only).

Momsen VIPA AC 2015-2.jpg
Momsen VIPA AC 2015-3.jpg
Momsen VIPA AC 2015-4.jpg

Suspension
The VIPA AC 2015 features the same Evolution Series Fox Float CTD as used on the 2015 VIPA XT (minus the remote lockout). Thanks to the widely reported issues with the range in 2013, anything from Fox with a CTD label tends to get a bad rep these days. After some initial issues though, Fox did make improvements from 2014 onwards resulting in a more reliable performance.

My experiences with the suspension setup in nearly 14 months of riding on my own carbon VIPA and this test model have been positive. I’ve had no hassles whatsoever and the CTD modes work well for me with a definite lock-out in Climb mode and notable differences between Trail and Descend. It is undoubtedly a mid-range spec, but one which gets the job done.

Momsen VIPA AC 2015-7.jpg
Momsen VIPA AC 2015-12.jpg

Groupset
The VIPA AC 2015 has a mix of Shimano XT, SLX and Deore: XT Cranks, XT rear derailleur with an SLX front derailleur and Deore trigger shifters. The XT/SLX drivetrain needs no fluffing, it’s a proven, reliable setup that works. I did turn my nose up at the Deore shifters looking at the spec, but to be honest I didn’t notice much difference on the bike if any.

Brakes
The Shimano M615 Hydraulic brakes lean towards the entry level in their range, but I found they performed well. Certainly not as responsive and assured as the XT’s I’m used to, but I never felt concerned about their stopping power or the feel.

Momsen VIPA AC 2015-11.jpg

Wheels
The Stan’s No Tubes ZTR Rapid rims are an OEM only product which offer a more affordable, but durable tubeless-ready rim. At 455g per rim it is 75g heavier than a Crest rim, but uses the same Bead Socket Technology (BST) said to give better tubeless performance. In the relatively brief test period these were reliable and held up to some unreserved riding, but down the line this is an area where the bike could benefit from an upgrade to shed weight and reduce flex.

Momsen VIPA AC 2015-14.jpg
Momsen VIPA AC 2015-8.jpg

Handlebar, stem and seat post
The bike comes standard with some generic alloy bits which help keep the price tag reasonable. The one out of the three I’d want to change is the stem: 1) because my preference would be something slightly shorter 2) it looks a little flimsy for my liking (although it held up with no issues through testing).

Momsen VIPA AC 2015-5.jpg
Momsen VIPA AC 2015-6.jpg

On the trail

The Momsen VIPA AC we received for testing matched the size and geometry of my own VIPA meaning I was very at home and comfortable from the get go. The only minor difference was the slightly longer stem on the AC vs my setup.

With a little more added weight I’d expected to feel the major difference while climbing, but it wasn’t noticeably sluggish or cumbersome. In windy and technical single track though, the difference was more distinct. The bike felt very planted and secure on descents, but did require a little more effort to move about through turns and accelerations. This is likely partly due to the heavier aluminium front triangle along with the heavier rims.

One of the biggest surprises for me was the skinny (by my standards) Kenda Honey Badger 2.05 tyres. They were remarkably grippy and resilient through a range of loose gravel, light mud and sharp rocks. Initially these would have been the first on my “post purchase upgrade list”, but they performed impressively well in terms of grip and puncture resistance. As with most bikes though, I would convert them to tubeless from the get go (since they carry Kenda’s SCT badge they are tubeless ready).

Momsen VIPA AC 2015-10.jpg

In the end

Overall I was suitably impressed by the Momsen VIPA AC. There are certainly areas where an upgrade and some weight shedding is possible, but out the box the build really is good to go. Coming from the carbon VIPA I admittedly did feel comfortable very quickly, but for me the aluminium-carbon comparison was most interesting. Looking at all-round performance the differences are marginal and from a price / performance perspective the VIPA AC offers outstanding value.

The 2015 models Momsen VIPA AC will become less available as dealers clear out stock to make way for 2016 models, but keep your eyes peeled. You’re likely to find some great deals on these at pre exchange rate apocalypse pricing.

Visit momsenbikes.com for information or to locate a dealer near you.

Comments

NicoBoshoff

Nov 10, 2015, 9:49 AM

What is this witchcraft???  A decently kitted bike for under R40k????

Bang for your buck this!

rock

Nov 10, 2015, 10:01 AM

so that's R20k less than the one with a carbon front triangle.

seems obvious.

Shepherd

Nov 10, 2015, 12:13 PM

"Differences versus the 2016 model? Looking at only the frame the most significant change is the inclusion of a second bottle cage mount in the front triangle (M, L and XL only)."

Not so sure this is correct, I mailed Momsen asking specifically about this and they said it was not included in the AC version of the frame.

You can even see in the photos as well that they dont have the bolt holes on the upright of the front triangle to be able to attach their special adapter for the additonal bottle holder...

Having said this, amazing looking bike!!

buffalosoldier

Nov 10, 2015, 12:37 PM

Just received a replacement 2016 frame and it doesn't have a 2nd bottle holder on vertical section.

Matt

Nov 10, 2015, 12:47 PM

"Differences versus the 2016 model? Looking at only the frame the most significant change is the inclusion of a second bottle cage mount in the front triangle (M, L and XL only)."

Not so sure this is correct, I mailed Momsen asking specifically about this and they said it was not included in the AC version of the frame.

You can even see in the photos as well that they dont have the bolt holes on the upright of the front triangle to be able to attach their special adapter for the additonal bottle holder...

Having said this, amazing looking bike!!

We'll query this with them. According to their website the 2016 Vipa AC does have the second bottle cage mount and the photos there confirm it.

Shepherd

Nov 10, 2015, 1:30 PM

We'll query this with them. According to their website the 2016 Vipa AC does have the second bottle cage mount and the photos there confirm it.

Thanks for the feedback team, looking forward to what they say...

Its a bit silly to have the AC NOT have the dual bottle cage, that to me is a HUGE plus to this bike.

I dont like backpacks, and sticking bottles in my back pockets..

My only drawing card to an Epic, which I cant afford as they are ridiculously over priced for what you get...

Shepherd

Nov 10, 2015, 1:34 PM

P.S...

I looked at that link, a bit blind from Momsen for putting that photo up as you can see thats the carbon front triangle and not the Alloy one (No welding lines...)

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Nov 10, 2015, 1:40 PM

P.S...

I looked at that link, a bit blind from Momsen for putting that photo up as you can see thats the carbon front triangle and not the Alloy one (No welding lines...)

Which, the black one? If so, there are DEFINITELY weld lines there... 

nonky

Nov 11, 2015, 7:01 AM

Any issues with seat-stay bridge and tyre clearance?  I've heard this is a problem with wider tyres on a vipa - is it true?

nonky

Nov 11, 2015, 7:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback team, looking forward to what they say...

Its a bit silly to have the AC NOT have the dual bottle cage, that to me is a HUGE plus to this bike.

I dont like backpacks, and sticking bottles in my back pockets..

My only drawing card to an Epic, which I cant afford as they are ridiculously over priced for what you get...

2016 Aluminium Epic (with rear Brain) is RRP <ZAR40k - checked the price this week for a riding buddy who's buying one. 

(that's AFTER the huge price increases for 2016...)

Matt

Nov 11, 2015, 7:22 AM

Any issues with seat-stay bridge and tyre clearance?  I've heard this is a problem with wider tyres on a vipa - is it true?

I run 2.25's on my VIPA XT (same rear end) with no major issues. In some seriously clogged up muddy conditions I have had a bit of scuffing on the frame from debris on the tyre, but nothing I'm overly worried about. 

I've recently tested out the same tyres on some wider rims (28mm internal) with no issues, but clearance is tight. Anything wider tyre wise could be a problem, but it's unlikely you'd want to run a much wider tyre on what is essentially an XC / Marathon bike.

Lefty V

Nov 11, 2015, 2:30 PM

The comment about the skinny Honey Badgers I found interesting: Best tyres I have owned to date in 26 years of mtb. I suspect the sizing is weird - their 2.2s are HUUUGE and the 2.05s looked and felt similar to the 2.2 Vitorias I run now.

Shepherd

Nov 12, 2015, 11:26 AM

Which, the black one? If so, there are DEFINITELY weld lines there... 

Not on this photo indicating the double bottle cage, which is listed in thier AC gallary.

You can see where the top tube meets the down tube.

Further the suspension pivot mount on the down tube.

You can also tell on the upright tube the carbon fiber lap lines, I have the same ones on my Spec StumpJumper Carbon HT.

In my opinion, and I could be wrong, but this is a carbon bike... Which would match up with the feedback I got from Momsen prior to this review being posted.

Hilton.

Nov 12, 2015, 11:39 AM

Not on this photo indicating the double bottle cage, which is listed in thier AC gallary.

You can also tell on the upright tube the carbon fiber lap lines, I have the same ones on my Spec StumpJumper Carbon HT.

In my opinion, and I could be wrong, but this is a carbon bike... Which would match up with the feedback I got from Momsen prior to this review being posted.

I think you two are talking about two different pictures on that same web page. And Momsen made a mistake with the second picture  :eek:  :thumbdown:

The big main pict at the top of the page is clearly the alu Vipa. Clear weld lines.

The smaller picture further down the page, in the pic carousel, where you have to click the 5th small picture to enlarge, does seem to be a carbon front triangle, as Shepherd described.

Nonetheless, it does seem like the Vipa AC, with the alu front triangle, should be able to accept the 2nd water bottle in the front triangle. It will just need that new engineered parallelogram bracket Momsen have recently come out with.  :thumbup:

Nov 12, 2015, 11:39 AM

This one? If so, you can clearly see the top / head / down tube junctions and the weld points at the top / seat tube and shock mount. 

http://momsenbikes.com/dev/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/MOMSEN-VIPA-AC-Side.jpg

A pic of the welds on the head tube junction

http://momsenbikes.com/dev/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/MOMSEN-VIPA-AC-ROCKSHOX-1920x900.jpg

Adn the shock mount

http://momsenbikes.com/dev/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/MOMSEN-VIPA-AC-Toptube-1920x900.jpg

THIS one though... THIS is carbon...

http://momsenbikes.com/dev/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Prototype-with-Bottle-S-1920x900.jpg

Iwan Kemp

Nov 12, 2015, 11:40 AM

To clarify

• Bike as seen under "Bikes" does come with the New Dual Waterbottle Mount Design
  • Frame only does not

Only the VERY LAST image in the collage at the bottom is a carbon frame and is there to show a close-up of the dual waterbottle mount. The others you can CLEARLY see welds.

Nov 12, 2015, 11:41 AM

Agreed, Hilton. Regardless of what pic is where, it's clear that the AC can accept 2 bottle cages. 

Nov 12, 2015, 11:42 AM

To clarify

• Bike as seen under "Bikes" does come with the New Dual Waterbottle Mount Design
  • Frame only does not

Only the VERY LAST image in the collage at the bottom is a carbon frame and is to show a close-up of the dual waterbottle mount. The others you can CLEARLY see welds.

Sweet. Thanks for the clrification, Iwan.

That's a bit strange though... 

Hilton.

Nov 12, 2015, 11:44 AM

I just want to say that I'm majorly excited that the AC now comes in XL size  :thumbup:  I've always liked what the Vipa offers, but it was always way too small, even in size Large.

I guess they think it would cost too much to make a carbon mould for an XL frame for the demand, but I disagree. 

Shepherd

Nov 13, 2015, 10:17 AM

Thanks All,

I do agree the rest of the pics does clearly have weld lines.

My references where specially only to gallery photos further down the page which showed a close up of the bottle cage in the front triangle.

None the less, exciting if they do have this 2nd bottle mount for the AC.

Many sources with various answers.. I am optimistic...

Add a comment

You must log in to comment