Tech

Review: Backtracker

· By Nick · 10 comments

Cyclist safety is a serious concern, especially when on the road. Many road cyclists and commuters have at least one story about their dance with death. Ikubu, based in Stellenbosch, have developed a device that they hope will better prepare you to avoid these close encounters.

IMG_9789-2.jpg

The Backtracker is touted as a device that monitors traffic approaching from behind a cyclist. When I first heard about it, the idea came across as a bit gimmicky. I thought a quick look back or a mirror would be just as effective. Then I tried it…

The Device

When I first handled the device, I had two initial impressions: Firstly, this thing is tiny and light. Secondly, that the build quality felt solid and the plastic of a high quality, especially as we were being lent a test unit that still needed to undergo a few updates, such as the latest waterproofing treatment.

The Backtracker consists of two small units, which communicate with each other wirelessly, a front display and rear box with LED lights. The rear unit uses radar to keep track of vehicles while the front display reports the distance, speed and proximity of vehicles from the rider. All this information is displayed very simply by a line of LED lights. The rear radar device doubles as a rear safety light, which warns motorists by flashing more frequently as they approach the rider.

IMG_9784-1.jpg
IMG_9791-4.jpg

Left: the front display indication the detection of two vehicles approaching the rider (symbolized by the top orange LED. Right: The rear LED light and radar unit.

The mounting system uses a simple mount held to the handlebars and seatpost with O-rings. While low tech, I found this method to work flawlessly and it should mean a good fit on most bicycles.

Manufacturers specifications

Maximum Vehicle Range: up to 140m.
Maximum Vehicle Speed: 160 km/h
Battery Endurance: 8 hours
Rear LED – Peak luminous flux: 40 lm
Mass – Rear Unit: 80g
Mass – Front Unit: 50g
Connectivity: Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
API: Open API

IMG_9804-1.jpg
IMG_9810-2.jpg

Does it work?

From a visual and functional point of view, the display on the device is superb. The simplicity in the way it transfers information to the rider is striking. Through the use of bright LEDs, the display indicates the detection of a car with a single LED. The LED then moves the length of the display as it tracks the proximity of the car. The speed at which an LED travels along the display gives the rider a rough idea of the speed at vehicles are approaching.

Watch our demonstration of the Backtracker in action below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5C40gRs2_UYes, the bike in the video is stationary, however I found it be an accurate (and easy to film) representation of how the Backtracker performed during the test rides.

Ikubu claim that the Backtracker has a range of up to 140 metres. My guesstimate is that it started picking up cars regularly from at least 100m away, so Ikubu’s claim could well be true. On straighter roads vehicles are detected before you can even hear them coming, which I found to be very comforting (especially as some cars and busses are getting quieter). Using the Backtracker gave me the confidence to ride in the centre of the lane (where I feel more comfortable) trusting that I would be notified when it’s necessary to retreat back to the ‘safety’ of the yellow line or gutter.

IMG_9821-10.jpg
IMG_9790-3.jpg

A neat feature of the Backtracker is the ability to track multiple cars at a time while still indicating the proximity of each vehicle. The accuracy of the Backtracker in tracking more than one vehicle is impressive. For example, with the bicycle going straight and a left and right turn lane on either side, the Backtracker picked up approaching vehicles in all three lanes.

Unfortunately, I was unable to test the abilities of the Backtracker in a group of riders. Our tests with a single rider closely following the Backtracker showed no interference with the functioning of the device. Putting my hand directly over the rear unit was the only way I could manage to interrupt the Backtracker’s functioning.

Rear LED unit

Although not promoted as the devices main function, my favourite feature was the rear warning light. The LEDs chosen for this task are more than adequate in terms of brightness. But it’s the increased frequency of flashing as a vehicle approaches that sealed the deal for me. When cycling behind the Backtracker, the increase in flashing as cars approached drew my attention. Hopefully doing the same to motorists and informing them of their own proximity to the cyclist.

IMG_9825-12.jpg
IMG_9827-13.jpg

Some drawbacks

There were some limitations to the Backtracker’s abilities. It struggled to identify the correct number of cars if they were travelling tightly packed together, often reporting two vehicles as one until they were close to the rider.

Another concern is having the display on the bars. It may have been because I was new to the experience but I spent a lot of time looking down at my bars when looking ahead would probably have been safer.

Is it worth it?

Ok, this is the hard part for most people, the price. The Backtracker is listed at R2,125. This is a significant amount of money to spend on a nice to have gadget. Even though the product is well-built and works as advertised, some might struggle to value the functionality of the Backtracker at this price point.

I can imagine the Backtracker being particularly useful when riding outside of the city, where traffic is less dense. In the city traffic, the Backtracker constantly lights up like a christmas tree.

I can also see device being useful for those that are not agile enough to look back with confidence or are hard of hearing.

Lastly, while I was unable to test the Backtracker in these conditions, I can picture it being a very comforting companion in low visibility conditions or at night.

In the end

Having used the Backtracker, my initial impressions of gimmickry have been abandoned. The Backtracker is an impressive piece of technology, it does what it claims. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that it’s a must have item for everyone hitting the tar. But if you’d like some added peace of mind while on the road, then I’d highly recommend you consider the Backtracker.

Comments

TrackGuy

Sep 2, 2014, 2:30 PM

Very cool device, and some great use of technology. These people are just getting smarter by the day.

wernerhp

Sep 3, 2014, 7:36 AM

I think it's great that it was designed is South Africa. The price point is quite high though and there only seems to be free shipping to the US. Whoot?

FranzStruwig

Sep 3, 2014, 8:43 AM

I think it's great that it was designed is South Africa. The price point is quite high though and there only seems to be free shipping to the US. Whoot?

I'm part of the Backtracker team. For members of The Hub SA we will refund shipping costs in South Africa, if you place an order in the next 3 weeks. Just throw out a tweet including your name, @ridebacktracker and @thehubsa. If you don't tweet...drop us a mail ;-)

The shipping cost is due to a constraint on the crowdfunding platform, so we'd love to give you that money back. We want our local community to be the first to cycle around with Backtrackers. Cycling in SA is dangerous, and we want to make a difference.

Cassie

Sep 3, 2014, 10:08 AM

I'm part of the Backtracker team. For members of The Hub SA we will refund shipping costs in South Africa, if you place an order in the next 3 weeks. Just throw out a tweet including your name, @ridebacktracker and @thehubsa. If you don't tweet...drop us a mail ;-)

The shipping cost is due to a constraint on the crowdfunding platform, so we'd love to give you that money back. We want our local community to be the first to cycle around with Backtrackers. Cycling in SA is dangerous, and we want to make a difference.

Hi Franz

Personal mail send.

Paul Ruinaard

Sep 3, 2014, 1:15 PM

Great to see someone looking after SA locals. Hope that you guys have all the success in the world.

Talking about products, how about an external device like yours that connects to a smart phone via Bluetooth and then uses an app which to do the same thing.

That way all smart phone users that are cyclists could have this functionality running and have an alarm in their backpack or on their handlebars in the same way.

If you could integrate this with Garmin or other computers.....

FranzStruwig

Sep 3, 2014, 7:50 PM

Great to see someone looking after SA locals. Hope that you guys have all the success in the world.

Talking about products, how about an external device like yours that connects to a smart phone via Bluetooth and then uses an app which to do the same thing.

That way all smart phone users that are cyclists could have this functionality running and have an alarm in their backpack or on their handlebars in the same way.

If you could integrate this with Garmin or other computers.....

You are spot on! Our unit supports Bluetooth LE, so the next step is to create apps for smartphones and Google Glass. Lots of interesting possibilities then start to open up!

Dirkitech

Sep 4, 2014, 11:28 AM

naaise... though at that price range i'd put it towards a gps with realtime traffic analysis

wernerhp

Sep 4, 2014, 1:59 PM

I really think Backtracker is an awesome product, however with the price point at R2,125, I can't see myself buying it any time soon. Have you considered selling the back light unit separately form the front unit? Perhaps reducing costs even further by removing the bluetooth and instead adding audible feedback to the light? Just some thoughts.

chaos_za

Sep 17, 2014, 9:56 AM

Spotted this from Interbike

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11411286/p4pb11411286.jpg

http://www.lupine.de/eng/products/rear-tail-lights/rotlicht

"Lupine had this new Rotlicht (red light) on display. 160 lumens, 55g and attached via a simple rubber belt. It features a Brightness Sensor which reacts to ambient light, for example if a car's headlights appear behind you it turns up the brightness. But what really caught my attention was the built in accelerometer senses when you slow down and illuminates a brake light. Is this a first in the cycling industry? Lupine also have a range of Smartcore batteries. Pictured is the largest 13.2Ah, it has an LED Capacity Indicator and can be used to recharge anything using the USB connection. Great for keeping your SmartPhone alive on camping or adventure rides when you need to stay in constant contact with Facebook."

Nick

Jan 14, 2015, 8:25 PM

Quick update on this product.

Garmin have bought out iKubu, the maker of Backtracker. Perhaps we'll see the Backtracker's features in an Edge device soon.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment