Tech

Review: BMC Teamelite 01 XT

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 29 comments

The engineer behind the BMC Teamelite 01 is a bold man. The soft tail era of mountain biking in the early 90s is generally looked back on with ridicule but a lot has changed in the last twenty years. So is the time right for soft tail to ride again? I was eager to find out with the BMC Teamelite 01 XT.

BMC Teamelite 01-1.jpg

What is a soft tail?

Along with clipless pedals, the term soft tail is probably one of the more confused technical terms in cycling. A soft tail is a bike that has some form of compliance or give built into a single piece frame while a dual suspension frame is made up of separate front and rear triangles that are joined by pivots.

Why did BMC go the soft tail route?

Apparently, the idea for the Teamelite 01 stemmed from the demands of the BMC team riders, not BMC themselves. They wanted something to fit between their Teamelite hardtail and Fourstroke dual suspension bikes, for certain types of courses on the cross-country racing calendar. A bike that has added compliance and traction without adding too much weight or complexity. With this brief, BMC’s Impec Lab spent two years developing the Teamelite 01 frame with Micro Travel Technology.

Micro Travel Technology

Micro Travel Technology (MTT) is the engineering behind converting the Teamelite hardtail into a soft tail. The MTT system offers up to 15 millimeters of vertical movement. The elastomer is supported by two small shafts (held in place by bushings) that guide the rear end as the bike compresses. The guide shafts also provide the necessary torsional stiffness. BMC have developed three damper settings to suit riders of different weights and styles to better customise the feel of their bike.

BMC Teamelite 01-3.jpg

BMC recommend servicing the MTT system after every 25 hours of riding. The process is simple. Remove the dust cap where the seatstays join the seat post and, using a 6 mm hex key, unthread the guide shafts. The elastomer can then be removed by hand. Check all the components for wear and then regrease.

While most of the attention is drawn to the black elastomer, the rest of the rear end of the Teamelite frame has undergone a major redesign. The tubing of the whole rear triangle has seen changes to accommodate the 15 mm of movement. The seatstays and chainstays are constructed from custom carbon layups to flex at critical joints.

BMC Teamelite 01-8.jpg
BMC Teamelite 01-9.jpg

BMC Teamelite 01-7.jpg

Geometry and weight

Until recently the 70-degree head angle would have been considered on the slack side. But with a number of brands releasing their most recent hardtail offerings with just under 70 degrees, the BMC is left somewhere in the middle. The chainstays remain short at 429 mm, helping whip the bike through corners.

Frame weight is a claimed 1080 grams, which is around a kilogram lighter than the BMC’s dual suspension offerings and not significantly heavier than the Teamelite 02 frame. The on-the-trail weight of our extra large sized test bike was 10.3 kg. Not super bike light but there is still room to drop some grams with a few smart component changes.

Components

We tested the lowest specification Teamelite 01 XT which proved to be a reliable build with no parts sticking out as being unsuitable.

BMC Teamelite 01-5.jpg
BMC Teamelite 01-4.jpg
BMC Teamelite 01-15.jpg

There is not much to fault on the Shimano XT groupset (including brakes). Our test bike featured the 11-speed 2×11 configuration which I got along with well. Throughout testing power transfer, shifting, and braking were responsive and reliable.

Much like the drivetrain, the Fox 32 fork got on with business admirably. Likewise, I had no complaints about the DT Swiss wheels which ran true throughout testing with decent hub engagement and only moderate flex when pushed very hard.

BMC Teamelite 01-14.jpg

BMC like to talk about their longer frames which accommodate shorter stem and wider handlebar confirmations. I’m a big fan of going in this direction on cross-country bikes but having a 720 mm handlebar across the range is going to cause some problems for those on the extreme ends of the spectrum. On the extra large bike, I found the 720 mm handlebar to be far too narrow. Luckily, handlebar and stem are a quick fix and will always be a personal preference.

Specifications:

• FrameMTT Carbon 29
  • ForkFox 32 Float Performance Elite Series FIT4 Remote 100mm
  • ShockFox Float with remote lockout
  • GroupsetShimano XT, 2×11, 36-26T, 11-40T
  • BrakesShimano XT 160/160mm
  • HandlebarBMC MFB01 Carbon 720mm
  • Stem BMC MSM 02
  • WheelsetDT Swiss XR 1501 Spline ONE
  • TyresContinental RaceKing 2.2
  • Retail PriceR 71 499.00
  • Actual Weight10.3 kg (Extra large frame)

On the trail

I managed to get the bike out on a variety of trails around Cape Town including Hoogekraal, Contermans, Table Mountain, and the Welvanpas black route.

The Teamelite 01 had me climbing briskly with no sign of power loss through the MTT system. On the ups, the bike felt very much like a carbon hardtail. Only when sprinting extremely hard out of the saddle did I notice some movement in the rear. However, at no point did I feel that the MTT was slowing me down. On technical climbs, the MTT provided a little bit of relief (most noticeably when seated) to help absorb some of the harder knocks and keep the wheel planted.

With climbing unaffected by the MTT system, I was eager to see how well it worked coming down the mountain. The Teamelite 01 is not a natural descender and requires constant attention to keep it rolling fast. The MTT system did assist in blunting jarring knocks but I struggled to notice any big improvement in traction or control. Even with the MTT,you still have to be a handy bike rider to get the most from the bike on the descents.

BMC Teamelite 01-2.jpg

BMC Teamelite 01-11.jpg
BMC Teamelite 01-12.jpg
BMC Teamelite 01-10.jpg

Pure performance benefits aside, the MTT did very well at taking the edge off smaller bumps in the trail, especially when putting power down while seated. This makes the Teamelite 01 a serious consideration for any level of rider looking for a bit more comfort than their current hardtail provides. A keen amateur stage racer would definitely be a little less tender after a few days out with the Teamelite 01. Be aware though, you won’t be getting dual suspension level of comfort, there will still be many occasions when the trail manages to bite back.

Who is the Teamelite 01 for?

While I did notice the effect the MTT makes on the bike, I felt that it did little to improve my performance. I am an average amateur racer and feel that many riders will see few gains over a traditional (and much cheaper) Teamelite 02 carbon hardtail. That said, for riders at the top of their game looking for a light bike with some compliance, the Teamelite 01 with its MTT will likely add a competitive edge in their quest for the podium.

Where I feel the Teamelite 01 adds value for the broader riding population is the comfort it offers. If you love riding a carbon hardtail but struggle with the harsh ride, the MTT will provide you with some relief that traditional carbon hardtails simply can not offer.

In the end

The BMC Teamelite 01 XT is an excellent race bike. The MTT maintains the direct power transfer feel of a tradition hardtail while providing an added level of compliance, traction, and comfort. With this bike, BMC has shown that soft tails are no longer a laughing matter.

BMC Teamelite 01-13.jpg

Comments

Vanzyl

Oct 18, 2016, 2:17 PM

Love this bike...but R70 000 is a lot for a little bit of suspension. 

Chain-L

Oct 18, 2016, 3:31 PM

R70k vir n XT hardtail......mal..

BrandonF_

Oct 18, 2016, 3:54 PM

R70k vir n XT hardtail......mal..

....but it's a 'Soft-tail'????????

JarradVZ

Oct 18, 2016, 4:03 PM

Is that a vertical or horizontal shock?

nonky

Oct 18, 2016, 4:11 PM

i keep on looking at that R71,499.00 number and shaking my head...

BrandonF_

Oct 18, 2016, 4:23 PM

Is that a vertical or horizontal shock?

It's a "Virtual Shock" to the system

lechatnoir

Oct 18, 2016, 4:25 PM

what colours does it come in. DEFINITELY going to need a couple of these bikes in different colours, if only to add a bit of variation from day to day. I mean, at that price, it's a bargain! Right guys? guys?.... 

Vanzyl

Oct 18, 2016, 4:36 PM

I think someone from the bike industry(Trek, Spaz, Cannodale, BMC) should come explain the cost of bikes, every component is mass produced except the frame, companies buy components in bulk and yet the bicycles cost more than many cars....? just curious

shaper

Oct 18, 2016, 5:10 PM

Don't think any soft tail bike has survived the test of time, so a lot of money for a trend which will probably go the same way of the fat bikes!

Eldron

Oct 18, 2016, 5:54 PM

Awesome bike - terrible value proposition.

I love the super clean lines and ability to "juuust take the edges off" but would certainly not pay that kinda money for it.

Much better value out there.

dev null

Oct 18, 2016, 6:51 PM

Yet, the S-Works Epic HT costs the same, if not more, and nobody complains about that.

Yes, there are better value out there, but only if you look at Giant etc.

TheJ

Oct 18, 2016, 9:27 PM

R71k... Yeah. Ok. I'd rather take about R8k, order one of these Chinese frames, build my parts over, and get a similar effect.

HTB1.rfaNpXXXXXkXVXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg?size=3

HTB12VuWNpXXXXcRaXXXq6xXFXXXs.jpg?size=7

FCH

Oct 19, 2016, 2:18 AM

for roughly the same Randelas..... know which one I will take.

https://www.canyon.com/en/mtb/exceed/exceed-cf-slx-9-9-pro-race.html

Vanzyl

Oct 19, 2016, 5:58 AM

for roughly the same Randelas..... know which one I will take.

https://www.canyon.com/en/mtb/exceed/exceed-cf-slx-9-9-pro-race.html

Im a huge CANYON fan, i already own their previous hardtail and want to replace the frame now but for the same price of frames(SPAZ, BMC, SCOTT) i can buy a full suspension carbon canyon bike.....its crazy. I keep getting quotes for other brands and just cant justify buying a frame for the same price as a new bike.......

Vanzyl

Oct 19, 2016, 5:58 AM

R71k... Yeah. Ok. I'd rather take about R8k, order one of these Chinese frames, build my parts over, and get a similar effect.

HTB1.rfaNpXXXXXkXVXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg?size=3

HTB12VuWNpXXXXcRaXXXq6xXFXXXs.jpg?size=7

curious about this though!!!

CASSIE1975

Oct 19, 2016, 7:15 AM

I think someone from the bike industry(Trek, Spaz, Cannodale, BMC) should come explain the cost of bikes, every component is mass produced except the frame, companies buy components in bulk and yet the bicycles cost more than many cars....? just curious

Agreed - components are exactly the same on all bikes...basically only the frames and wheels are different with handlebar / stem / saddle in the mix. And this price tag for a semi-soft tail :blink:  :eek:  I guess that new Titan Duel suss with 11-speed XT/SLX mix does not look that bad anymore @ R30k  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  LOL

Eldron

Oct 19, 2016, 7:31 AM

The frame is mid 40k so you can do the calcs yourself.

No need for an explanation. Supply and demand dictates pricing.

Jaco-fiets

Oct 19, 2016, 7:38 AM

The frame is mid 40k so you can do the calcs yourself.

No need for an explanation. Supply and demand dictates pricing.

The demand can't be that high (well in SA anyway)! Hardly ever see a BMC out on the trails

TheJ

Oct 19, 2016, 7:49 AM

Agreed - components are exactly the same on all bikes...basically only the frames and wheels are different with handlebar / stem / saddle in the mix. And this price tag for a semi-soft tail :blink:  :eek:  I guess that new Titan Duel suss with 11-speed XT/SLX mix does not look that bad anymore @ R30k  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  LOL

Same thing with laptops. You can buy a Sahara laptop for R5000 or a Dell for R15000.

Both will have either one of two or three popular brand hard drives in, both will have a motherboard made by one of about 3 different companies (Asus, Gigabyte, Intel), RAM from one of also about 3 different companies and a CPU mostly from 1 company, Intel.

Jy betaal vir die naam ou pêl.

Hence why I will never buy a big name brand bike again, Spaz, Cannondale, BMC, etc. For the price of this frame alone I can build a top range hardtail using a Chinese frame (my current Chinarello frame is going on 4 years old and still solid as a rock), and pretty much top range parts.

dev null

Oct 19, 2016, 7:51 AM

The demand can't be that high (well in SA anyway)! Hardly ever see a BMC out on the trails

Because SA has been taken over by Spaz, and everybody follows like sheep.  :whistling:  :ph34r:

I am on my second BMC MTB, and have been on my roady BMC since 2010, and couldn't be happier. Did also not pay through my nose, I got all the bikes on special deals since the sheeple only buy Spaz around here.

CASSIE1975

Oct 19, 2016, 9:03 AM

Hence why I will never buy a big name brand bike again, Spaz, Cannondale, BMC, etc. For the price of this frame alone I can build a top range hardtail using a Chinese frame (my current Chinarello frame is going on 4 years old and still solid as a rock), and pretty much top range parts.

Ek stem saam ou maat...selfde met motors, karavane, ens. ens...betaal vir die "brand"

Christofison

Oct 19, 2016, 11:05 AM

Everyone is hating because the bikes are more expensive than most, but then when they see one up close/in person, they get a little jealous inside...because deep down inside they know that is a PROPER quality frame that is really attractive because of it's rarity.

Vanzyl

Oct 19, 2016, 11:30 AM

Everyone is hating because the bikes are more expensive than most, but then when they see one up close/in person, they get a little jealous inside...because deep down inside they know that is a PROPER quality frame that is really attractive because of it's rarity.

By that statement of "rarity".....Spaz,Scott and Cannondale should be dirt cheap as they are everywhere.  Not hating the brands at all, just curious as to how a frame can cost so much, how can a bicycle cost more than a small car?!? 

Jono C

Oct 19, 2016, 1:04 PM

Same thing with laptops. You can buy a Sahara laptop for R5000 or a Dell for R15000.

Both will have either one of two or three popular brand hard drives in, both will have a motherboard made by one of about 3 different companies (Asus, Gigabyte, Intel), RAM from one of also about 3 different companies and a CPU mostly from 1 company, Intel.

Speaking of Chinarello, where's the best place to order reliable Chinese frames? AliExpress?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment