Tech

Review: Cube AMS 100 C:62 Race 29

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 25 comments

The Cube AMS 100 is a 100mm travel dual suspension cross-country and marathon bike from German manufacturer Cube.

ccs-62657-0-66057500-1461571852.jpg

The bike

The frame is carbon through out with internal routing for the gear cables. Each AMS 100 frame size has a unique carbon rocker to keep the suspension tuned throughout the size curve. It is worth noting that all but the smallest size frame have space for a second battle cage within the front triangle.

ccs-62657-0-19620900-1461571853.jpg

The bike comes fully kitted with a Shimano XT 2×11 groupset, so expect crisp shifting and Shimano’s reliable control on the brakes. The wide gear range of the 2×11 drive train comes in very handy on longer rides. The RockShox Reba RL fork has remote lockout making it easy to switch on sprints. The rear shock is a RockShox Monarch RT3 and features an open/ pedal/ lockout switch which is not remotely activated- however the switch is easy enough to access, and the lockout mode is nice and stiff. A Fulcrum Red 66 wheelset wrapped in Schwalbe’s LiteSkin Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron tyres finishes off the bike. This grade of components with a full carbon frame is hard to beat at Cube’s asking price of R52,000.

ccs-62657-0-29600100-1461571854.jpg
ccs-62657-0-67591100-1461571853.jpg
ccs-62657-0-20913300-1461571859.jpg

On first sight, I was not impressed with the understated, geometric lines of the frame- but after experiencing the ride I could not have cared less, and the no-nonsense appearance reflects the straightforward performance driven setup and feel of the bike.

On the trail

My first impression on the bike was of incredible efficiency- from the moment I hopped on it felt- stiff, light, agile and most importantly: fast. This bike flies uphill- making climbing enjoyable- you really feel the output from each pedal stroke.

ccs-62657-0-95384800-1461571853.jpg

In terms of handling: I have ridden one or two 29ers that handle like boats, this certainly is not one them. The bike’s relatively light weight and geometry make it nimble and easy to throw around corners. Cube claim this thanks to their Agile Ride Geometry which in a nutshell means that they have adjusted the geometry of their 29er and 27.5 bikes to give a similar ride feel as their 26 inch bikes by keeping the bottom bracket height low, the chainstays short and the seat tube at the same angle.

ccs-62657-0-99515500-1461571859.jpg
ccs-62657-0-50533100-1461571855.jpg

The suspension has been tuned specifically for marathon and cross-country riding and is incredibly stiff in lockout- but there is just enough compliance when required to provide traction on loose, rocky climbs. Even with shock and fork fully open the bike still powers up climbs. Turn the AMS 100 downhill and hit the bumpy stuff and the AMS continues to deliver. Fully open the suspension eats up big knocks- but still provides a stiff pedalling platform for accelerating out of corners. However, the 71 degree head angle means that the front can feel a little twitchy on the descents.

ccs-62657-0-50468000-1461571859.jpg
ccs-62657-0-24622400-1461571855.jpg

In the end

At the end of the day, the Cube AMS 100 is a pure cross-country or marathon bike- efficient, short travel, and solidly equipped. If you are looking for a fast no-nonsense bike to race marathon or cross-country at an extremely competitive price, the Cube AMS 100 may be the bike for you.

ccs-62657-0-45497900-1461571853.jpg

Second opinion

The first thing I noticed on the AMS was it’s boxy rear end. The wide set rocker and steep seat stays make for a very solid looking structure, although they don’t much help the aesthetics. On the trail though the bike has a distinctly hardtail-like feel when locked out – it is impressively stiff and responsive when you put down some power. Even with the Monarch in pedal mode it climbs well, keeping in close contact with the trail.

The Cube is aggressively oriented with a relatively steep head angle compared to others in the 100mm class, yet it is still comfortable and capable when heading downhill. It provides a very stable and assured feel which gives the confidence to have a bit of fun.

For those looking for a more aggressive marathon bike or anyone with cross country ambitions, the Cube AMS 100 is unlikely to let you down and comes at an almost too good to be true a price tag.
Admin.

Full specification

• FrameC:62 Monocoque Advanced Twin Mold Technology, ARG, ERC, FSP 4-Link, AXH
  • Colourblackline
  • Size17″, 19″, 21″, 23″
  • ForkRock Shox Reba RL, Fast Black, PushLoc, 15QR Maxle, Tapered, 100mm
  • ShockRock Shox Monarch RT3, 165x38mm, Open/Pedal/Lockout Mode, SV Air Canister
  • Shock HardwareFront: 22x8mm, Rear: 40x8mm
  • HeadsetFSA Orbit I-t, Integrated, Top 1 1/8″, Bottom 1 1/2″
  • StemCUBE Performance Stem Pro, 31.8mm
  • HandlebarCUBE Flat Race Bar Pro, 720mm
  • GripsCUBE Race Grip, 1-Clamp
  • Rear DerailleurShimano XT, RD-M8000-DGS, ShadowPlus, 11-Speed, Direct Mount
  • Front DerailleurShimano XT, FD-M8025-D, Direct Mount, Down Swing
  • ShiftersShimano XT SL-M8000-I, Direct Attach
  • Brake SystemShimano XT BR-M8000, Hydr. Disc Brake (180/160)
  • CranksetShimano XT, FC-M8000, 36x26T, 175mm (180mm for 23″ frame)
  • CassetteShimano XT CS-M8000, 11-40
  • ChainShimano CN-HG600-11
  • WheelsetFulcrum Red 66, 28/28 Spokes, 15QR/X12
  • Front TyreSchwalbe Rocket Ron Kevlar, 2.25, LiteSkin
  • Rear TyreSchwalbe Racing Ralph Kevlar, 2.25, LiteSkin
  • SaddleSelle Italia SC1
  • Seat PostCUBE Prolight, 31.6mm
  • Seat ClampCUBE Varioclose, 34.9mm
  • Claimed weight11.65 kg
  • Retail PriceR52,000.00

Related posts

Comments

Squier

Apr 26, 2016, 6:39 AM

Picked mine up last week and it's a stunner! This was my exact thoughts "from the moment I hopped on it felt- stiff, light, agile and most importantly: fast."

Took the bike for a baptism of fire to do the Buffelsdrift 100km Challenge for its first ride and it delivered in all aspects. Extremely efficient climber and fast and nimble through the tight stuff.

Bikejunkie

Apr 26, 2016, 6:43 AM

I love this bike. Best bike I have ever owned, and the price point is amazing in amongst all the overpriced name brands made in the east. A highly underrated European brand. If you want an excellent marathon aimed bike at an excellent price, this is the bike for you.

DJuice

Apr 26, 2016, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the review!!!

I am not technical minded and the reviews I read online talks of "euro" design.

Is it because of the 71 degree head angle?

Or the build kit of bikes for long climbs in Europe?

See last years top model still has a triple chainset. 

Back to the head angle, will a weekend warrior feel the twitch?

Can you address this by using a fork with other offset?

Last questions, can you get the same effect by up sizing to get the benefit of two cages on frame, go with short 50mm negative stem? 

Hennie VR

Apr 26, 2016, 11:14 AM

Looks like serious value for money. Would have seriously considered one if it was launched a bit earlier. I quite like the boxy rear end.....

Loving my Spark 910 though.

Eon du Plessis

Apr 26, 2016, 11:15 AM

Any idea what the price is for the frameset only?

Eon du Plessis

Apr 26, 2016, 11:18 AM

The Cube AMS 100 is a 100mm travel dual suspension cross-country and marathon bike from German manufacturer Cube.

Click here to view the article

Bike is currently on sale for R46k, per their Facebook page, just FYI.
'Dale

Apr 26, 2016, 12:58 PM

Hot

Sizzle

waveduke

Apr 26, 2016, 1:45 PM

Any idea what the price is for the frameset only?

The 2014 frame is on sale here - unfortunately in Germany:

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-ams-100-super-hpc-race-29-frame-blackline-497554/wg_id-276

Don't know about VAT and duties - but might be worth it.

Eon du Plessis

Apr 26, 2016, 1:49 PM

The 2014 frame is on sale here - unfortunately in Germany:

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-ams-100-super-hpc-race-29-frame-blackline-497554/wg_id-276

Don't know about VAT and duties - but might be worth it.

Looks like it'll clock in under 10k. Is there anything better available for that sort of price? I wonder.
Hennie VR

Apr 26, 2016, 1:58 PM

Looks like it'll clock in under 10k. Is there anything better available for that sort of price? I wonder.

Check if that price includes a shock or not. The shock makes a huge difference on the price. But under 10k for the frame alone is still very cheap.

Eon du Plessis

Apr 26, 2016, 1:59 PM

Check if that price includes a shock or not. The shock makes a huge difference on the price. But under 10k for the frame alone is still very cheap.

Well, that frame is only available in 23" which is too large for me, and without a shock.
Escapee..

Apr 26, 2016, 2:17 PM

post-36275-0-57522900-1461680228_thumb.jpg

Whatsup!

Apr 26, 2016, 2:23 PM

Thanks, I have been looking forward to this review.

Having previously owned an AMS I can vouch that it is super fast. (Still on a Cube)

Did you compare times against similar bikes on a specific route or segment.

waveduke

Apr 26, 2016, 2:26 PM

It will be difficult to beat the CUBE AMS in value for money.

The only frameset available in SA seems to be the NINER for 32k. I don't think you can add a XT groupset + Wheels for under 15k.

Shebeen

Apr 26, 2016, 2:36 PM

Rear Shock (165x38mm), Bushings (22x8mm / 40x8mm) and Thru Axle (12x142mm) not included!

Kylie

Apr 26, 2016, 2:38 PM

Bike is currently on sale for R46k, per their Facebook page, just FYI.

Thanks for the heads up- bargain :)

Mr X

Apr 26, 2016, 2:40 PM

It will be difficult to beat the CUBE AMS in value for money.

The only frameset available in SA seems to be the NINER for 32k. I don't think you can add a XT groupset + Wheels for under 15k.

Yes for 46k this Cube is unbeatable value. But then there is the Silverback Sesta for +-55k. Sesta has a claimed weight of 10.8kgs, 1x11 xt, Stans Crest wheels, SID fork, and award winning suspension design. So for standard price of 52k for the Cube the Sesta is better value.

Edit: Sesta head angle is 70.5 a bit better than 71

Edit: A small Sesta will suit smaller riders much better than the smallest Cube option. 

Eon du Plessis

Apr 26, 2016, 2:56 PM

Yes for 46k this Cube is unbeatable value. But then there is the Silverback Sesta for +-55k. Sesta has a claimed weight of 10.8kgs, 1x11 xt, Stans Crest wheels, SID fork, and award winning suspension design. So for standard price of 52k for the Cube the Sesta is better value.

Edit: A small Sesta will suit smaller riders much better than the smallest Cube option.

That was the other option I was looking at.

Now if only I could manage to track down a cheap Sesta frameset...

NelAndre

Apr 27, 2016, 12:22 PM

Cube and Sesta both very good looking bikes for me. Like them both. Very different suspension though, can one really compare them price wise? What effect will the suspension have on the ride comparison?

waveduke

Apr 27, 2016, 1:09 PM

Cube and Sesta both very good looking bikes for me. Like them both. Very different suspension though, can one really compare them price wise? What effect will the suspension have on the ride comparison?

At this years Cape Epic the Novus OMX team where riding on Sestas. They finished 11th overall - I think one can assume they are pretty fast bikes as well :-)

Regarding the rear suspension - one thing to consider is that with the rear shock above the bottom bracket you'll need a lockout lever at the handlebar. Underneath the top tube it's easy to flip it with your hand.

And I really like my 2 bottle cages setup on the Cube. 

Squier

Apr 29, 2016, 4:49 AM

To be fair, that's almost a R10k difference, which is a rather substantial amount of money. It does look like a great bike though.

The 2x11 is a great little addition and even late in the day, after a long hard ride, I never found myself searching for more gears. Also my first experience with the Fulcrum wheelset and I'm very impressed. Stiff and fast.

Escapee..

Apr 29, 2016, 6:01 AM

Anyone want me to do a proper test ride with the Cube at Sani2c, just let me know.

Its a sacrifice I would be willing to make  :whistling:

Kylie

Apr 29, 2016, 6:52 AM

Thanks for the review!!!

I am not technical minded and the reviews I read online talks of "euro" design.

Is it because of the 71 degree head angle?

Or the build kit of bikes for long climbs in Europe?

See last years top model still has a triple chainset. 

Back to the head angle, will a weekend warrior feel the twitch?

Can you address this by using a fork with other offset?

Last questions, can you get the same effect by up sizing to get the benefit of two cages on frame, go with short 50mm negative stem? 

With regards to the steep head angle- I don't think a weekend warrior will notice or struggle with it. The head angle only become a bit noticeable on very steep rocky hiking trails (not the kind of thing you would normally tackle on an XC bike anyway). Unless you are very experienced with bike geometry I would not change the fork offset- it has probably been chosen by the designer with specific handling characteristics in mind.

In terms of size- It is a very personal choice and I would recommend either following the manufacturer's size guide or actually trying the different frame sizes to be sure of a good fit:

http://www.cube.eu/en/service/faq/faq-detail/article/how-do-i-determine-the-correct-frame-size/

Kylie

Apr 29, 2016, 7:01 AM

Thanks, I have been looking forward to this review.

Having previously owned an AMS I can vouch that it is super fast. (Still on a Cube)

Did you compare times against similar bikes on a specific route or segment.

Yes- I rode the Rhodes memorial trails that I use for all bike tests, as well as trails in Grabouw and Hermanus and used Strava for comparison. I saw consistent PR's

Add a comment

You must log in to comment