Tech

Review: Fox Attack Q4 Shorts

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 32 comments

Baggies are all the rage these days, didn’t you know? Actually, uh, no I didn’t. These days? I’ve been wearing shorts, jeans – anything over and above underpants, really – for as long as I’ve been on two wheels. Lycra? No, never, not even once. When Fox sent over this pair of shorts, I was pretty surprised and a bit uneasy when I saw the detachable inner lining with chamois padding. Do these make me look like I’m wearing a nappy?

ccs-41808-0-19060100-1404291253.jpg

The Attack Q4 shorts are Fox’s trail/all mountain offering and come in two pieces: the outer shorts as you see them, and the inner mesh with chamois and elastic thigh grabbers. Out the box (bag?) you have to cut the inners out of the outers, and from there you can choose to use them separately or together. It’s a neat system.

The actual shorts are a mixture of polyester and spandex with a 4-way stretch main body. They have two solid buttons holding them together with two elasticated and velcroed waste bands that adjust the waste width. There’s also mesh venting to keep things cool and zipper pockets to keep the valuables from flying about the trail.

ccs-41808-0-18444200-1404291272.jpg

If the shorts fit

I found myself pulling the inners quite high up so the chamois wasn’t hanging low and making me look a fool. However, if I was topless you would see the tops of the inners sitting at about belly button height, which isn’t very flattering, I’ll tell you. But keep your shirt on and you have no worries. It tended to slip a bit, but that was mostly when riding, so aesthetics are out the window already.

The shorts feel akin to boardshorts – though the fancy stretchy kind that last more than two swims. So I don’t see these being dismantled any time soon. I can’t say too much about overall durability because I haven’t had them for ages, but I have yet to pull a thread or see so much as a indication that there’s trouble on the horizon.

I was particularly surprised at how warm the Attacks were. Having a ride in the Cape winter rain with only the shorts to keep my legs warm, they did a commendable job at keeping the heat in. I think it was mostly to do with the mesh inner liner, surprisingly enough. The mesh isn’t too closely knit, but the extra layer certainly does a good job of retaining heat.

ccs-41808-0-21029400-1404291263.jpg

The straps could be a bit pesky to get tight because they are on the inside of the waist, but once set they didn’t let loose. If you’re coming from a lycra background you may find that the chamois padding is insufficient compared to other bib shorts, but for someone looking for a bit more comfort for their ride, the padding is plenty. It’s less of a support padding and more a softening for your hard-as-nails saddle.

In the end

It didn’t take long with the Fox Attack Q4 shorts to realise that my usual cargo shorts with their holes and absolute ragged nature are just not cutting it anymore. I have seen the light. I’ve also realised that my arse doesn’t need to get used to the saddle I sit on, it can actually be comfortable for once. I guess my only gripe would be the colour of the shorts. Army green can only go with so many other colours – like black, and some shades of grey. That isn’t a problem on the trail, but these shorts are comfortable, so I want to use them elsewhere too. Just maybe without the chamois.

RRP: R 1,149.00

Tags: , ,

Comments

hayleyearth

Jul 2, 2014, 9:14 AM

One correction I would like to make - army green can go with MANY colours, but the colour needs to be 'bright', like you see with the fox print on the shorts itself.

Try teal, orange, yellow and even purple. (google the colour combo's, you will see it looks nice!)

Teal and yellow are my fav colours, and I believe they can go with most other colours too :D

Claudio

Jul 2, 2014, 9:18 AM

Thanks Hayley, I'll scrounge around my wardrobe for those teals and neons ;)

shaper

Jul 2, 2014, 9:23 AM

I have not felt much difference between the chamois inner and that of a bib. In fact, sometimes i use the inner when on the IDT rather than putting a bib on.

The shorts are pretty tough and hard wearing, have no complaints about the quality and stitching

BaltazarMarques

Jul 3, 2014, 7:05 AM

Thanks for the review - Where in Johannesburg can I buy these or any other Fox Mountain Bike Kit?

I've seen Fox apparel at Sportsmans Warehouse but find them overpriced.

MTBeer

Jul 3, 2014, 7:08 AM

price?

Maximis

Jul 3, 2014, 7:25 AM

I have 2 pairs of rangers, love them, my third will be the attack Q4. They are the biz!

Skylark

Jul 3, 2014, 7:44 AM

That's the question, where can they be bought, preferably brick store so they can be fitted?

Always amazes me with manufacturers that supply product for review and no retail list. Its like look at our awesome stuff but well you probably can't find it anywhere so carry on dreaming.

BaltazarMarques

Jul 3, 2014, 7:51 AM

Amen Skylark. I've even tried to contact the local fox distributor a few months ago to find out where I could buy their MTB specific range - Preferably stores so I can try them on. No reply to email or voicemail!?

Matt

Jul 3, 2014, 7:57 AM

Hi guys,

I've just called Fox with the queries.

RRP - R 1,149.00

I should be receiving a list of retailers shortly which I'll share here.

BaltazarMarques

Jul 3, 2014, 7:59 AM

Thanks Admin.

TAAHIRWP

Jul 3, 2014, 11:33 AM

i think the fox Ultra is better.... pity the Ultra will not be available in South Africa.

Skylark

Jul 5, 2014, 11:55 AM

Hi guys,

I've just called Fox with the queries.

RRP - R 1,149.00

I should be receiving a list of retailers shortly which I'll share here.

Let us know please and also ask them why they make it so hard to purchase their stuff?

It's easy these days, google Sa search should at least throw up some way of buying the stuff either locally online or brick shop.

needleshy

Jul 6, 2014, 9:16 AM

I saw them yesterday at the fox store in canal walk, they have stock of the green and orange ones.

Skylark

Jul 6, 2014, 12:24 PM

I saw them yesterday at the fox store in canal walk, they have stock of the green and orange ones.

Price approx?

needleshy

Jul 6, 2014, 12:44 PM

R1150 if I remember correctly

Brett

Jul 6, 2014, 4:43 PM

Are these the only ones available?

I see croc has tons of options in different brands but I don't want to buy online.

Anyone know where I can find some other options?

Johny Bravo

Jul 6, 2014, 5:37 PM

Bought the Fox ranger shorts this weekend, from the Fox stand at the Knysna Oyster Festival. For R400 Randelas. Makes you wonder why Buycycle is R800 plus shipping, Sportmans warehouse is R950 and Cycle Lab never has stock, but its still *** expensive. Amazing baggies, at a killer price.

Brett

Jul 6, 2014, 7:24 PM

Bought the Fox ranger shorts this weekend, from the Fox stand at the Knysna Oyster Festival. For R400 Randelas. Makes you wonder why Buycycle is R800 plus shipping, Sportmans warehouse is R950 and Cycle Lab never has stock, but its still *** expensive. Amazing baggies, at a killer price.

Size 32 please? He he

Ok so was searching around and found this place

http://www.mxalliance.co.za/browse/bicycle-pantsshortsbibs

Quite a few options. Many are lank expensive. But they look rad!

Capricorn

Jul 6, 2014, 7:33 PM

Size 32 please? He he

Ok so was searching around and found this place

http://www.mxallianc...pantsshortsbibs

Quite a few options. Many are lank expensive. But they look rad!

the idea of MXalliance is better than the reality: almost never has stock, and must be ordered with rather long lead times. This lets me believe i might as well order the same way MXalliance does: from overseas. I guess that's the problem with no official local representation.

Beans!!!

Jul 6, 2014, 7:44 PM

Fox Retail Stores open in the following malls:

Gateway (Durban), Menlyn Park (Pretoria), Canal Walk (Cape Town)

From their FB wall... Google brothers...

Hope that helps :)

Brett

Jul 6, 2014, 7:45 PM

Ah ok. The search continues then.

I will get some indola shorts but their colors are very plain. I'm keen on bright stuff. Seems like ion might be the next option.

Brett

Jul 6, 2014, 7:46 PM

Was at the canal walk branch the other day. Still not I want. But I am fussy,

hayleyearth

Jul 6, 2014, 7:56 PM

Ah ok. The search continues then.

I will get some indola shorts but their colors are very plain. I'm keen on bright stuff. Seems like ion might be the next option.

I agree about the Ion clothes. They are very very nice currently. But super expensive!

Look at this variety http://www.gravity-sports.de/BIKE/BIKE-Hosen/3/

Skylark

Jul 6, 2014, 10:47 PM

And if you live elsewhere!?

What about their retail partners?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment