Tech

Review: FUNN Bigfoot flat pedals

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 2 comments

Not all flat pedals are created equal and the FUNN Bigfoots are really no joke. Taking the heavy hitting approach, Funn has created a no-nonsense back-to-basics platform pedal.

ccs-41808-0-47788600-1385472212.jpg

First look

Probably one of the best named pedals ever, I couldn’t imagine feet too big for these. They are a fairly classic design for flat pedals, reminding me a bit of my Sun Ringle Zuzu’s from back in the day. They are simple and effective with a thick axle running the full length of the pedals and a large platform with 9 pins on either side. Other features include FUNN’s Grease Renew System (GRS): grease ports on either side of the pedals to make sure they’re lubed nicely.

The ‘street pins’ are uniquely designed too – not the standard flat screw-ins or the allen key bolts, but a kind of hollow-point bullet design that fit right into perimeter of the platform. The flat angular appearance of the platform is very pleasing and quite mean looking. With the profile missing those typical gaps it gives it a menacing look, and also means that your feet need to encompass the whole pedal – the pins only being on the outsides. The graphics are attractive too, with the ‘FUNN’ branding machined onto the axle being a nice touch.

ccs-41808-0-66969100-1385537701.jpg

Riding

Since first trying really low profile pedals, I was hooked. So going back to a thicker profile was a bit strange at first, but I quickly became accustomed to them. The ‘street pins’ were some of the best kind of pins I’ve tried. Being hollow and pointed really helped stick them to my shoes.

To be honest, for anyone using flat pedals, the pins are an issue of concern for your shins. And these ones doubly so. They managed to lightly tap my knees on a couple of occasions and the back of my legs too. Neither of them pleasant times, but it’s a kind of love/hate thing with flats. You know that your feet aren’t going anywhere with pins like that, and once you wear the colour out of them, you can choose which colour you want next – great for those with a colour-coding fetish. So far, though, the colour has lasted admirably.

FUNN does make a thinner profiled pedal, called the FUNNdamental, so the Bigfoot is really a big, burly, weight weenie-scaring beast aimed at riders who put durability at the top of their priority list. The name is fitting, no doubt, and the execution spot on. If you’re looking for a pedal that will last DH runs, street and park shenanigans, or loads of dirt jumping, and prefer durability to fitness, then the Bigfoot is a great choice.

ccs-41808-0-99688600-1385537649.jpg

What’s Missing?

The shape of the pedals leaves two gaping holes on either side of the axle, which managed to actually catch my foot once. Kind of a strange sensation, the foot going through the pedal, but I was wearing fairly narrow sneakers, so it isn’t a problem you would find with some proper MTB shoes.

The other time they caught me out was during the Signal Hill Downhill MTB Urban Assault Challenge. While pedalling a flat section, my left foot was a bit too far forward on the pedals and caught a rock, spilling me onto the trail. It was more my fault for not having my feet placed properly, but the large platform and pins often leave your feet in a bit of a paradox. Being so large, your feet can be placed in more than one position on the pedals, but with such sticky pins, your feet usually stay where they are first placed. It’s a catch-22. On the one hand you want your feet to be planted securely on the platform, but on the other you want freedom of movement. I’d take stickiness over freedom in this case, though.

The pins have a tendency to pick up dirt in the little holes. Nothing to write home about, but a bit messy. I also knocked the pedal about a little during some street sessions, which caused some decent scuffing and scratches on the sides. Again, only cosmetic damage, but I wouldn’t have minded the paint to be a bit stronger. What is of concern, though, is the fact that you have to use a spanner to take the pins off, unlike the usual allen key. A bit of a mission, but not so much unless you change them regularly.

ccs-41808-0-75496000-1385536953.jpg

In The End

Get them: They will happily sit on anything from a DH bike, a heavy-hitting all mountain bike to a dirt jumping steel stead. Riding with specific riding shoes like some Five Tens, you will be able to take full advantage of those sharp pins, while also pairing your shoes to some knee or shin guards to keep some peace of mind. The fact that you can colour-code the pins to suit your bike will surely attract the DJ crowd especially. And they really do look great, keeping a classic style but funking it up with rakish angles.. The GRS system will be great for muddy conditions too, making maintenance a breeze.

Avoid them: If you are prone to sticking on any old shoes and riding, then these pedals may not suit your style. Not to say that they won’t grip like they’re supposed to, but just because your feet might slip through. Also, if you have small feet, you may not find that you are using the grip to the full potential. They are not light at 425g, so don’t expect them to play nice with your trail bike and, price-wise, I’d say they are a bit steep. Not crazy expensive, but paying about a grand for flat pedals is not the easiest thing to justify. That being said, they are quality, so you do get what you pay for.

ccs-41808-0-67687300-1385536956.jpg

Specifications

Material: 6061-T6 aluminium forged body with a CrMo axle

Weight: 425g (claimed)

Bearings: Needle/DU/sealed

Colour: Anodized black with

Price: R999 (recommended retail)

Other features: GRS, replaceable pins in varying colours

If you are interested in FUNN components, the South African distributors are Larc Distributors. They are currently looking for retailers for FUNN components.

Comments

I am not SomeBloke

Nov 27, 2013, 9:03 AM

Nice review. Beautiful looking pedals but that's a hefty price tag, edging them towards Nukeproof Proton Alloy-Ti territory. They are pretty burly looking so DH or DJ would be options although it'd be fightening having that foot through the pedal experience when trying to land a no-footer or something.

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Nov 27, 2013, 12:34 PM

The viper II flat pedal is more reasonably priced.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment