Tech

Review: FUNN Combat II grips

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 26 comments

FUNN’s Combat II grips are a bolt on, and forget product that lasts well beyond what the white colour would suggest.

ccs-41808-0-88872400-1387363505.jpg

Design

The FUNN Combat II grips have a ‘waffle’ pattern running almost the length of the grips with the outer edges tapering to meet the clamps and a FUNN logo embossed on the top and bottom of the grip. They have a thick flanged edge on the inside with one clamp on either end attaching them to the bars. There is a hard plastic inner lining that extends past the rubber where the clamps can attach to via a 3mm hex bolt each.

The Combat II’s come either flanged or unflanged and in black, grey or white. Aluminium end caps in a variety of colours are also available. These would replace the clamps and plastic end caps that fit into the end of the bars.

The grips taper at the ends to become flush with the clamps, which is a nice feature, and the FUNN logos on the tops and bottoms of the grips are actually appealing. I’m not usually a fan of over-decalled products, which is the reason you won’t see any branding on my originally over-stickered Nukeproof Snap. But the FUNN logos on the grips and on the clamps were welcome, and I even made sure they lined up on either side. Bolting them on was a breeze, too, but trying to line all the clamps, bolts and logos together took a bit of time to get right. But that’s just pedantic me.

ccs-41808-0-62895800-1387363670.jpg

Compound

The thickness was medium, as was the compound, which I found was just about perfect. You can feel everything on the trail while also not getting jarring sensations through your hands. It also isn’t too thick, which could cause cramps for some people. I found that riding with gloves or bare handed there was no issue of grip and I never found myself in a situation where I was wanting more. Sweat wasn’t a problem at all, but I never rode with them in full-on rain, so I unfortunately cannot attest to that. But I wouldn’t see the Combat II’s having a problem getting a bit wet.

I’d never ridden with flanged grips before, but it never really got in the way. I’m a bit of a fiddler, so I found myself messing with them a lot. They were never a hinderance like I thought they might be, and for the most part I didn’t even notice them, not even when I was fiddling with them.

ccs-41808-0-86074500-1387363467.jpg

Durability

Throughout the couple months I’ve been riding the Combat II’s I never once feared the premature demise of the rubber. From day one they worked flawlessly. The clamps never came loose and I enjoyed the security of having a clamp on each end.

But white, really? Ok, so it didn’t look bad when I first installed them onto the even more bling FUNN Fatboy ‘cappuccino’ coloured handlebars, but after not very long the inner chameleon came out and they started to resemble the trail I was riding on. After a trip to the pampering LBS they looked a bit closer to their original shade, but after 5 minutes back on the bike they reverted back to camouflage.

ccs-41808-0-78450600-1387363464.jpg

Durability has been great, though, with no signs of early retirement from the grips, the locks or the end caps. The end caps in particular have taken a decent beating but have held up admirably as have the lock-ons on the ends, with only the tops looking a bit scratched up from when I flip the bike upside-down.

FUNN offers alloy end caps, which I assumed would be included with the Combat II grips, but only plastic ones were. It’s almost better, because I would have worried more about damaging them if they were alloy and colourful and pretty. Now, I don’t worry at all about what the end caps look like, just as long as they do their job, which they have done.

ccs-41808-0-33069900-1387363470.jpg

What’s Missing?

Not much negative can be said about the FUNN Combat II grips. For what they are designed for, they perform wonderfully. They may be a bit heavy for some at 145g, but for the rider that wants a grip to last at least a season, these are a great choice. Why anyone would make a grip in white, I couldn’t say. They quickly lost their pristine shade, going brown almost as soon as I looked at them funny. I couldn’t really care too much about the colour of my grips, but I am a fan of the standard black. There’s something classy about understatement sometimes.

ccs-41808-0-16166000-1387363572.jpg

In the End

I’ve spoken to many people who are looking for a comfy grip that is thicker than the often diamond-shaped grips that barely cover the circumference of the handlebars, but also don’t want spongy foam between their hands. The Combat II’s offer a great compromise between the two extremes. They may not be the lightest grip out there, nor will the flanges appeal to all riders, but these are a pair of grips that you can bolt on and forget about until you start to feel the plastic underneath, which won’t happen for some time.

FUNN’s Combat II grips are not expensive, and at R180 undercut many non-lock-on grips. They offer great feeling and will probably out-last many other perishables on your bike. A no-brainer for most people looking for a bit more grip on their bars. Just don’t get them in white.

Comments

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Dec 19, 2013, 7:40 AM

Nice review, dude... Where did you get them from? Not many FUNN stockists out there!

Claudio

Dec 19, 2013, 8:04 AM

Nice review, dude... Where did you get them from? Not many FUNN stockists out there!

I got them, and other Funn products, from the distributors, Larc Distributors (http://www.larcdistributors.co.za/). They are currently looking for more retailers for Funn products, so they are not the most available products out there. But I have contacted them and are waiting for the response. He will either contact you directly or I will get back to you.

LARC DISTRIBUTORS

Dec 19, 2013, 8:16 AM

Thanks for the review Claudio. Just on the white grips ..... they also come in black and grey :)

cpt armpies .... we have samples that we have been showing the market place. We have decided to offer the FUNN product line Online as well as through interested stores. This way we believe we will have a wider market. This will only happen in the new year.

If there is anything in particular that you need let me know and I will see if we have it for you.

Cheers

Andrew

Hairy

Dec 19, 2013, 10:40 AM

Keep the reviews coming Claidio

Hairy

Dec 19, 2013, 10:40 AM

Claudio

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Dec 19, 2013, 5:54 PM

Where can we buy from online?

MarioH

Dec 19, 2013, 8:25 PM

Great product, great company !

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Dec 19, 2013, 8:36 PM

Ja, and? Have any retailers shown an interest? It's not as if they do the same as ritchey did, and are offering to sell at lower prices dorect to public than the LBS were able to offer. They're offering direct sales ad the only option. Nothing wrong with that.

ThePubSA

Dec 19, 2013, 9:39 PM

Andrew has some stuff at solomons woodmead,pedals,headsets etc.. in the SS section.

Skylark

Dec 19, 2013, 10:40 PM

Seems like Andrew & Ryan are planning on selling directly via their website to the end client, which leave no room for any retailers to take on these products........??

Huh? It's called market segments, some people only buy at lbs, or the guys that want to see goods in person and choose what they want on the spot, or the guys with lots of money and don't care about the price they just want their toys now not a few days later ordering it online.... lots of space, even other online retailers will still have plenty room, people order where they feel comfortable or where they can buy their favorite tyres at the same time.

How many online Retailers sell shimano products yet every brick store lbs in the country still sells shimano products by the bucket load...

MarioH

Dec 20, 2013, 6:32 AM

niterider

Dec 20, 2013, 6:50 AM

@jimivaughn your argument is silly. MANY manufacturers sell their products directly off their own websites as well as through retailers. And why wouldn't they? Obviously they don't undercut their retailers.

MarioH

Dec 20, 2013, 7:01 AM

niterider

Dec 20, 2013, 7:11 AM

Eish.....so it's "fair" for the importer to make importer's % & retail %.....bread buttered on both sides.

All the best, just don't expect retailers or LBS to coming knocking down your door for product, cause you're not Shimano, SRAM, etc. so they can get by without selling your products.

As I'm saying, all the best for 2014 !

You're missing the point. If they don't do it they won't sell anything...

No demand because the consumer isn't aware of the product -> Retailer won't stock it because consumer isn't asking for it -> No sales. Chicken and egg. Direct sales is the obvious way to make the consumer aware and make it easier to eventually get the product into retail. Perhaps you went to a different kind of business school than i did.

LARC DISTRIBUTORS

Dec 20, 2013, 7:13 AM

Hi Jimmi

Our intentions are to put FUNN as a brand on the map FUNN does not have the same brand reputation of Shimano and cannot be compared. If we had a good uptake with stores perhaps it would not be an option to offer online. Very often this approach actually drives sales to stores due to the awareness of the product and customer wanting to collect immediately. We would sell at full retail and our stores will compete on a level playing field.We were recently at the African Cycle Fair where we showed our FUNN line. Consumers were excited and were begging us to sell from our stand. Stores that we have showed so far have not had the same excitement to the brand and we as a company have decided that we need to change this by creating a wider audience and market awareness. Our prefered online approach would be to utilize a current online store but you would know first hand that they are even more reluctant to carry stock and drop ship for lots of their lines.

Skylark

Dec 20, 2013, 7:18 AM

Eish.....so it's "fair" for the importer to make importer's % & retail %.....bread buttered on both sides.

All the best, just don't expect retailers or LBS to coming knocking down your door for product, cause you're not Shimano, SRAM, etc. so they can get by without selling your products.

As I'm saying, all the best for 2014 !

Get with 2014 bru, one website is not going to crush the entire online and offline market for a product or even come vaguely close to doing that. Do you know some magic voodoo no one else knows because last I heard opening an online retail portal is not like opening pandoras box to instant mega sales or even any sales at all, it's like one drop in the ocean and for now it appears these guys want to give customers a way to get the product in their hands while they get distribution up and running.

Using your logic have you ever wondered how we still have any lbs open with the huge proliferation of online stores?

So Jimi you work for an lbs or one of Andrews/Funn's rival brands ' or one of his competitors in the market trying to tarnish him, I don't get the negative slating.

Fujiman

Dec 20, 2013, 7:25 AM

Get with 2014 bru, one website is not going to crush the entire online and offline market for a product or even come vaguely close to doing that. Do you know some magic voodoo no one else knows because last I heard opening an online retail portal is not like opening pandoras box to instant mega sales or even any sales at all, it's like one drop in the ocean and for now it appears these guys want to give customers a way to get the product in their hands while they get distribution up and running.

Using your logic have you ever wondered how we still have any lbs open with the huge proliferation of online stores?

So Jimi you work for an lbs or one of Andrews/Funn's rival brands ' or one of his competitors in the market trying to tarnish him, I don't get the negative slating.

Correct me if I am wrong .... Is Jimmi not affiliated to Buycycle.co.za???

Johnstoneighty6

Dec 20, 2013, 7:31 AM

So... Black, white or grey guys? :whistling:

enjoi

Dec 20, 2013, 7:42 AM

I for one am glad that Andrew has decided to make the product available online as I have been struggling for 2 months to get a price and availability from LBS's! I eventually phone Andrew myself and confirmed that they had what I wanted, but he couldn't sell to me direct, I went back to the LBS to get them to order it and I still don't have it. Now at least I can get it myself!

LBS's are sometimes prone to only want to sell what they regularly stock which I understand and that is why I think the online option is always good for the market.

Good luck with the ventures Andrew!

Skylark

Dec 20, 2013, 8:22 AM

Correct me if I am wrong .... Is Jimmi not affiliated to Buycycle.co.za???

It must be so as he appears to be speaking on behalf of Buycycle.

Why so narrow minded though? It's like he believes one barely marketed online retail channel is going to upend the whole industry both online and offline, ja right bru, your sour grapes are making whine!!

MarioH

Dec 20, 2013, 11:04 AM

All the best for your sales in 2014 !

Skylark

Dec 20, 2013, 11:38 AM

Ryan, Skylark, Fujiman, LARC Distributors, you make this a very personal issue, when it's only business.

I asked you a question & your answered it by basically saying "we'll sell direct, because we can." So all the best in building your brand via that medium.

All the best for your sales in 2014 !

All in your own head man. They explained why they are currently selling online direct and at prices to protect their retail partners, standard practice globally for many brands, pretty damn sure they want retailers to carry their goods.

It seems you have a personal grudge with Larc , whats the issue bru?

Robodog

Dec 20, 2013, 11:49 AM

Good to hear this. I have some Funn products bought from CRC. At least they make wide bars and short stems at decent prices.

Hairy

Dec 20, 2013, 2:38 PM

Have a set of fatboy bars on the motto and they are great....Just wish I had the wider bars and not the 710mm bars.

Good feel and good finish well priced products.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment