Tech

Review: Garmin Varia rearview radar

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 11 comments

Garmin’s Varia rearview radar system seeks to give cyclists eyes in the back of their heads. The Varia uses radar to detect the movement of vehicles behind the cyclist and warns the riders of the approaching vehicle.

We previously reviewed the South African developed Backtracker which was bought out by Garmin and reimagined as the Varia system. The Backtracker was an great product – it just lacked integration with other devices such as a GPS head unit. Garmin clearly thought the same and quickly added the Varia to its very polished Garmin ecosystem.

Garmin Varia 1.jpg
Garmin Varia 2.jpg

What is the Varia?

The Garmin Varia has two functions:

1. The Varia warns the rider of approaching vehicles; and
  2. The Varia tail light increases its blink frequency as a vehicle approaches with the intention of drawing the driver’s attention to the cyclist.

The Varia system is made up of two components: the rear radar and light unit, and the display head unit. The tail light doubles as the radar sensor which sends data to the Varia display unit or Garmin GPS unit. The display unit uses bright LEDs to indicate the proximity and the number of vehicles approaching the rider. Take a look at our demonstration video below:

Mounting

The Varia bundle includes all the required handlebar and seatpost mounts. The devices are held firmly in place by Garmin’s familiar quarter turn mounts. Garmin claim that the tail light mounts will fit on most seatpost configurations.

Garmin Varia 11.jpg

Varia Bike Radar Bundle specifications:

• Dimensions: Radar display unit: 2.4” x 1.3” x 0.7” (6.0 cm x 3.4 cm x 1.9 cm); Tail light: 2.9” x 1.7” x 0.9″ (7.3 cm x 4.4 cm x 2.3 cm)
  • Weight: Radar display unit: 1.0 oz (28.5 g); Tail light: 2.2 oz (63.5 g)
  • Modes: solid, flashing
  • Lumens: 16
  • Battery life (high power mode): 5 hours
  • ANT+®: Yes
  • Water rating: IPX7
  • Price: R3,899.00

Varia Tail Light only option

• Dimensions: 2.9” x 1.7” x 0.9 (7.3 cm x 4.4 cm x 2.3 cm)
  • Weight: 2.2 oz (63.5 g)
  • Modes: Solid, flashing
  • Lumens: 16
  • Battery life (high power mode): 5 hours
  • Charge time: 2 hours
  • ANT+: Yes
  • Water rating: IPX7
  • Price: R2,699.00

If you have a supported Garmin GPS unit (the Edge 25; 520 and 1000), it is possible to buy the rear radar unit without the Varia display unit.

Garmin Varia 4.jpg

What’s in the Radar Bundle box?

• Varia radar display unit
  • Radar tail light
  • Stem mount
  • Seat-post quarter-turn mount
  • Universal seat-post quarter-turn mount
  • microUSB cable
  • Manuals

Out on the road

For our testing, we used the Varia as a complete package with the display unit and without the display unit using a Garmin Edge 520 GPS unit.

Garmin Varia 7.jpg

The user experience with the Varia bundle is excellent. Other than mounting the devices on the bike, there is no setup. Simply turn on the tail light and the head unit and go out for your ride. The Varia bundle is relatively compact and, once mounted, remains out of the way during riding.

The LED display is brilliantly simple. When a vehicle is detected a bright LED light appears on the display. As the vehicle approaches the cyclist, it moves up the display in a straight line towards the LED representing the cyclist’s position. The display allows the cyclist to quickly ascertain the proximity of the vehicle behind them as well as give an idea of the speed the vehicle is approaching.

Testing the Varia using a Garmin Edge 520 head unit was less eye-catching but just as functional. The sides of the Edge 520 become shaded when a vehicle is detected. The right side mimics the action of the Varia LED display and shows the approaching vehicles as round dots moving up the display towards the cyclist’s position. The Edge 520 lacked the bright colourful LEDs that the Varia display unit uses and I can imagine it being a bit more difficult to see for riders with poor eyesight.

Garmin Varia 6.jpg

Watching the Varia in action for the first time is impressive. It picks up vehicles from a surprisingly far distance. The accuracy of the device is generally spot on although not perfect.

On a few occasions it picked up a phantom vehicle and I found that it was sometimes a bit slower than I like to pick up vehicles that coming around corners or bends. The Varia performs best on long straight roads where the claimed 140 metre max detection is a fair possibility. The device does warn you that it is only for guidance purposes and the rider should never rely on it solely. Treat it as such you’ll have a happy relationship with the Varia.

The Varia significantly reduced the time I spent peering back to see when the next car was approaching and more time looking where I was going. In windy conditions, where it was difficult to hear approaching traffic, I found it especially comforting to have an early warning system.

Tail light

Garmin Varia 10.jpg
Garmin Varia 9.jpg
Garmin Varia 8.jpg

Although not promoted as the devices main function, the rear warning light is a great feature. The LEDs chosen for this task are more than adequate in terms of brightness. But it’s the increased frequency of flashing as a vehicle approaches that makes the tail light unique. The idea is to draw a drivers attention to the cyclist as the flashing rate changes the closer they get. My riding partner was even able to use the varied flashing as an indicator of an approaching vehicle.

In the end

The Garmin Varia works as described on the box. Garmin have done the necessary by integrating the Varia into their device ecosystem, doing away with the necessity of have the dedicated display that the Backtracker required. The Varia is not cheap and the rider will have to make up their own mind on whether the added safety and convenience the Varia provides is something they are willing to pay for. I found myself growing to appreciate the comfort of having the Varia detection system and have caught myself instinctively starring at my Garmin for information about the cars behind.

garmin_varia_banner.jpg

Related posts

Comments

Spinnekop

Dec 15, 2015, 2:03 PM

Both the training buddies have these on and they work quite well.

Definitely on the wishlist.

fandacious

Dec 15, 2015, 2:23 PM

this is the backtracker that was developed in stellenbosch and sold to garmin. Latrinus emmer was involved with this

sakkiebomskok

Dec 15, 2015, 3:06 PM

they should put a very small camera in the back that records when a vehicle gets to close, so there is proof of licence plate if these hit and runs happen

tourdeboland

Dec 17, 2015, 1:28 PM

:)

raptor-22

Dec 17, 2015, 1:47 PM

I'll buy one when the unit is able to tell the approaching motorist via their phone "look up cyclist ahead, pass 1.5 on the right" repeat in annoying voice.

Most are using google maps or Wyze. Should be possible to send data to the network of your presence.

Newboy

Dec 24, 2015, 10:38 AM

I got one as a gift. Was definitely not something I thought I needed. Now I won't go for a road ride without it. It works perfectly and it makes my rides a lot safer. I use mine with a Edge 1000.

carbon29er

Dec 24, 2015, 1:29 PM

they should put a very small camera in the back that records when a vehicle gets to close, so there is proof of licence plate if these hit and runs happen

Cycliq Fly6 does exactly that.

carbon29er

Dec 24, 2015, 1:53 PM

I tested this system for 4 months, it was very interesting at first seeing cars approaching from behind move up the display unit but found its usefulness was very limited. The real value proposition came when I returned the unit, would I miss it enough to splash R3k to have?

Pros:

• improved u-turn and right turn planning as could see if cars nearby on screen rather than having to look behind a number of times.
  • Instant red indicator on the display for speeding cars useful
  • Variable light intensity was great for those riding with me as they could see when cars were close by.

Cons:

• battery life - I never go more than 3 hours from the rear unit if smart light on. This made unit useless on longer rides and meant I had to have an additional rear light.
  • 2 additional items to charge after every ride.
  • cars got "lost" on the display if they travelled at your speed when following to suddenly be next to you without indication on the display.

Verdict:

On my first ride without it I was happy to have the R3k and not have the distraction on my bars. 2,000 km later I feel the same.

raptor-22

Dec 24, 2015, 1:59 PM

I really like the tech but I think is got to be developed further and integrated into info sources so that it can communicate with the real problems on the road - inattentive drivers. Knowing the proximity of a vehicle is one thing bu I really need to know if is on a collision course.

What I really need is a BB-8

zabalad

Jan 4, 2016, 8:07 AM

Got it as a Christmas gift, haven't test it yet. I have the Garmin EDGE 810 GPS.

Does anybody know if it works with the EDGE 810?

Cheers

Showtime

Jan 4, 2016, 10:13 AM

I've also been considering this. On long stretches with a headwind I don't hear cars coming at all and only see them when they pass.

But even if the Varia shows me that they are approaching I still won't have eyes in the back of my head to know if they are alert and aware of my presence as supposed to talking on the phone.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment