Tech

Review: Helmet shootout Part 1 – Bell Super, POC Trabec Race, 661 EVO AM

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 59 comments

When I go into most bike shops it’s seldom I will see a helmet that is not suited to the road or XC purposes. There’s countless options of them out there. It’s not often you see something with some rear and side support – more focused on the trail and all mountain side of things. I set out to see what I could find that is readily available in South Africa.

ccs-41808-0-89458700-1404306990.jpg

After much searching I found 6 helmets that suited the bill. I decided that – because they loosely fit two different categories – I would split the shootout in two. There was a significant difference between the trail oriented and the all mountain (dare I say, enduro) styled helmets. The all mountain (AM) helmets had more coverage on the back and sides and carried more of a heft. I also thought that there would be a distinctly different buyer of these helmets than the trail oriented ones. Here are the AM candidates.

The candidates

ccs-41808-0-98163900-1404305152.jpg

Bell Super

So if you were to go into your local bike shop, the Super is the one AM styled helmet that you would probably see. Bell coins the Super as their all mountain offering, to “split the difference” between DH and XC. It is available in a variety of colours, from bright green to matte black with a white stripe.

Manufacturer’s specs:

Fusion In-Mold Microshell

GoggleGuide

Integrated/Removable GoPro camera mount

Internal Reinforcement

Lightweight Buckle

Lightweight Cam-lock Levers

Lightweight webbing

Overbrow Ventilation

Speed Dial Fit System

X-Static Padding

Weight: 390g

Vents: 25, with 4 brow ports

RRP: R 2,100.00

ccs-41808-0-56396200-1404305194.jpg

POC Trabec Race

An unusual design out of Sweden, POC’s Trabec is a design that you either love or hate. “The construction is similar to the trabecular bone structure that has excellent resistance and durability,” says the POC site. Depending which model you choose – the Trabec, Trabec Race or Trabec Race MIPS – the colour options vary.

Manufacturer’s specs:

Size adjustment system

Adjustable visor

Aerodynamic ventilation channel system

EPS liner

Outer PC shell

Aramid fiber grip

Weight: 340g

Vents: 16

RRP: R 2,700.00

ccs-41808-0-37991200-1404305162.jpg

661 EVO AM

I was lucky to snag a pre-production EVO AM for a small amount of time, it being one of two in the country. It came in black and cyan colour scheme, which isn’t a production colour scheme unfortunately. It’s 661’s first venture into the AM/enduro helmet segment, with their previous Recon fitting better into the trail category.

Manufacturer’s specs:

Contigo foam liner

MIPS option

BOA FS360 360° adjustment system

Adjustable visor with two mounting positions

Fidlock magnetic closure

Adjustable, anti-microbial padding

Colors: Black, four other color options coming later

Weight: 359 g

Vents: 15

RRP: R 2,000.00

Aesthetics

It goes to show how far helmet design has gone in the past few years, because these helmets vary greatly in their design and fit. But first, their design. Aesthetics come in two stages: 1) what it looks like on its own and 2) what it looks like on your head.

ccs-41808-0-92063800-1404305169.jpg

On its own, the POC had a nice round look to it, having the cleanest and most solid look of the three. I personally found it attractive, but some find it odd looking. The paint scheme was a shouter, though you can get it in black with white on the back or reverse of the colours, and I would have gone for one of those options instead. I liked how it looked sitting there, but on a head it tends to sit a bit high, especially in the back. It’s a smaller helmet to the others too, not giving as much coverage at the back.

ccs-41808-0-16899800-1404305174.jpg

If you take the visor off of the Bell, it looks like a skating helmet with a bunch of holes. This clearly shows its heritage and purpose: as much protection without being full face and airy enough for long rides. Oh, and the visor to stop the sun. It’s a good looking helmet, both on and off your head, and is the least obtrusive of the three. There is a variety of colour options and I went with the subtlest I could get. There is the option of an even more subtle matte black or if that’s not your thing then you can look at the one with tattoo decals.

ccs-41808-0-77124700-1404305179.jpg

In a way the 661 was the most unobtrusive looking of the three, but in a way the most aggressive. The visor has three vents in it to funnel air into the vents at the front of the helmet. The coverage does not go as far on the sides of back as the Bell, but like the Bell, it has heritage in skating helmets and it shows. The vents are much bigger and fewer than the Bell, and the sharper design of them gives a more traditional look to the EVO AM.

There’s no point calling a winner here, everyone will have their own aesthetic preferences. For me, though, I’d say the Trabec looks best off the head. I’d give the nod to the EVO by a small margin over the Super for on-head attractiveness. The 661 just has a purposeful look to it, perhaps because of the more aggressive design.

Comfort

Everyone may have different ideas on comfort, but between these lids, there was a clear winner. Trying on a helmet in the office is a completely different animal to riding all day with it. But when you put on a helmet and immediately say, “It’s like little marshmallows on my head,” like one of our testers, you know it’s got something special good going for it. This was the 661.

ccs-41808-0-05904200-1404306460.jpg

The POC Trabec Race on the left had minimal padding; The 661 EVO AM was superbly comfortable; The Bell Super’s X-Static Padding was great too

The EVO AM slotted onto your head so softly and solidly that it was in a different ball park to the others. There is no shortage of padding and because of the way it has been setup, your head doesn’t touch any hard bits on the inside. The BOA 360° adjustment system was the most comfortable too, tightening around your head evenly.

[blockquote]It’s like little marshmallows on my head[/blockquote]

The Bell Super was comfortable, no doubt, but there were some issues here and there. It was mostly just highlighted by how good the 661 felt. But in isolation, it was certainly a good fitting helmet. One particular niggle I found after long rides was the front padding. It was great initially, but tended to flatten and expose the hard parts of the helmet.

The POC was the hardest of the three, with the least padding but also the lightest. It’s a lot simpler looking inside and out and in some ways it works for it. When you first put it on it isn’t the epitome of comfort but I found that on longer rides I tended to forget about the Trabec completely. This is a good sign for any helmet. I think it was down to its simplicity that it was easy to live with on the trail. One weird drawback of the padding was that it made a side-parting in my hair that was perfectly straight.

Features

The basic features of the three contestants are this: adjustable straps (you’d hope so), adjustable tensioners at the back, adjustable visors and removable padding. A lot of adjusting then – it’s what you want in a helmet. We all have different shaped heads after all.

The Bell Super takes the cake here, with more bells and whistles than the others. It comes with a dedicated GoPro mount on top, hooks that attach to the visor mounts to hold onto your goggles and a properly adjustable visor, where the other two are not quite up to scratch.

ccs-41808-0-01915500-1404306996.jpg

POC Trabec’s pinch ratchet system; 661 EVO AM’s BOA system; Bell Super’s Speed Dial Fit system

The BOA system on the EVO AM wins for the tensioners, with distinct, little clicks. Bell also have a twist system called Speed Dial Fit System on the Super. It doesn’t quite measure up in accuracy or overall adjustability. The Trabec’s size adjustment system is a ratchet type, which you use two fingers to pinch together to adjust. While it works fine, it’s also not as accurate as either of the twist type systems.

The BOA system allows far greater tightening and doesn’t just secure the back of your head, but your entire head. I have heard of people complaining about the knob catching on backpacks while riding, and 661 are apparently making it smaller for production.

The Super and the Trabec both have the standard clip on their straps, but 661 have decided to opt out of that practice. Instead, the EVO AM has a magnetic connector that snaps together. They say it is easier to use with one hand. After some fiddling I was able to use one hand, but it takes some practice. I’m not sure if it’s any better than a clip, but if you forget to strap your helmet on and need to mid-trail, it is easier to do while moving.

ccs-41808-0-23179800-1404306465.jpg

The 661 EVO AM had a magnetic clip, easier for one handed moves

Again, I don’t see a clear winner. It comes down to your preferences. If you are going to move the visor, use goggles a lot and are always recording your rides then the Super is made for you. If, on the other hand you like fancier systems of adjustment to get the helmet strapped on then the EVO AM is the right choice. If simplicity is your game then get the Trabec.

In the end

There’s certain products that are known to be industry standards as it were. They may not be the best in the industry, but they are the standards, and are there for a reason. The Bell Super is the industry standard for AM helmets. The reasons being that it is the most readily available, Bell being a big brand. It is also a very capable helmet. The POC is the fancy exotic stuff. It’s not the best, but by no means a bad helmet. Would I buy one? Probably. Would I buy one over the other two? No. If I were to choose it would be the 661 EVO AM. It is all around the better package. More comfortable, better looking (in my opinion) and the cheapest. How does that work? There seems to be a glitch in the system somewhere.

Take a look at Part 2

Comments

Iwan Kemp

Jul 9, 2014, 7:22 AM

Nice one! 661 will be my next lid

Jul 9, 2014, 7:31 AM

Bell Super is already my dependable solid lid of choice and will outlast the rest.

(Deon)

Jul 9, 2014, 8:51 AM

As is my Bell Super! I find the white stripe a bit garish, never thought I'd want stickers adorning my helmet but I think I found a use for them after-all.

braailegend

Jul 9, 2014, 2:03 PM

They all look nice but pretty expensive (Aka not in my budget), for the cheapskates like me the Fox Flux is a winner, had it now for 2 years, used as my DJ to all-mountain lid.

Guest Sam Blake

Jul 10, 2014, 5:50 PM

From a features and design point of view that EVO seems brilliant but the Bell is the best looking of the bunch. Tough choice.

David D

Jul 11, 2014, 6:11 AM

Could you give us some information on crash replacements?

This can make a huge difference when 6 month into a helmets life you damage it in a crash, and need to bye a new one.

gummibear

Jul 14, 2014, 10:29 AM

I tried the POC but found to little ventilation and kept on "overheating".

The Bell is a awesome helmet.

Bizkit031

Jul 14, 2014, 10:41 AM

I tried the POC but found to little ventilation and kept on "overheating".

The Bell is a awesome helmet.

POC is overpriced don't know how they justify their prices.
patches

Jul 14, 2014, 10:56 AM

I wonder how certain other upper end trail/AM lids slot into the line-up...

particularly the TLD A1?!

http://www.banditbike.ch/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/800x800/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/l/tld_a1_helm_drone_group.jpg

http://www.bicycling.com/sites/default/files/fck_content/A1-Custom-Helmets.jpg

As for price, this upper end #enduro lid market has blown wide open. Most of these are more than one would pay for a decent full face... and I for one can't help but look at it that way (I paid R2400 landed for a brand new TLD D3, so paying even R2000 for the 661 is hard for me to justify)

Brett

Jul 14, 2014, 11:07 AM

What about the fox range? I had one and it was great.

Claudio

Jul 14, 2014, 11:10 AM

We are looking at 3 more helmets in Part two of the Shootout and it includes a Fox Flux

Cruz Addict

Jul 14, 2014, 12:01 PM

i have the super and must say its the best lid i have ever owned, super comfortable and has all the features as listed in the review.

1 point you didn't mention( perhaps you didnt know about it) is the bezel can be adjusted up or down depending on your head and fit requirements, there are 2 press studs where the bezel attaches to the lid, i found the std one too high for me so dropped down 1 and it made the world of difference.

Brett

Jul 14, 2014, 12:51 PM

Ok cool. Well apart from the weight, the fox is a good option especially based on price.

Weight was an issue. Think it was like 30g heavier than my bell. Haha.

Nofearnofun

Jul 15, 2014, 10:00 AM

When spending R2000,00+ on a helmet, some sort of crash replacement warranty is important. This coming from ssomeone that is on their third Bell Super which also has a crack after this weekend...

This might make you think that the Super breaks easily, I don't think this is the case though...

The Super is the most comfortable lid I have tried on, it does seem as if the adhesive Bell uses to glue the velcro bits in the helmet for padding is not good enough As I have had an issue with this in all three Super's I have had.

Bizkit031

Jul 15, 2014, 10:05 AM

I wonder how certain other upper end trail/AM lids slot into the line-up...

particularly the TLD A1?!

http://www.banditbike.ch/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/800x800/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/l/tld_a1_helm_drone_group.jpg

http://www.bicycling.com/sites/default/files/fck_content/A1-Custom-Helmets.jpgThis A1lid is one fine looking one.

As for price, this upper end #enduro lid market has blown wide open. Most of these are more than one would pay for a decent full face... and I for one can't help but look at it that way (I paid R2400 landed for a brand new TLD D3, so paying even R2000 for the 661 is hard for me to justify)

Bizkit031

Jul 15, 2014, 10:07 AM

We are looking at 3 more helmets in Part two of the Shootout and it includes a Fox Flux

What about the TLD A1
VicanZA

Jul 15, 2014, 10:12 AM

so do you crash with them and give us feedback on that?

Robodog

Jul 15, 2014, 10:13 AM

IXS Trail?

Claudio

Jul 15, 2014, 10:22 AM

What about the TLD A1

IXS Trail?

Unfortunately those helmets are not featured. I could not readily find them here, but if you do happen to have a contact, please share and we can do a follow up!

Robodog

Jul 15, 2014, 10:25 AM

Unfortunately those helmets are not featured. I could not readily find them here, but if you do happen to have a contact, please share and we can do a follow up!

I think certain sizes sold out at International Trade pretty quickly. You could call Jason to enquire.

Bizkit031

Jul 15, 2014, 10:27 AM

Allance MX have some A1 lids but I don't know if they would give you one to review.
Claudio

Jul 15, 2014, 10:29 AM

I think certain sizes sold out at International Trade pretty quickly. You could call Jason to enquire.

I didn't know Intl Trade were doing IXS too, and looks like DVO suspension too! Good stuff, I'll contact them. Thanks!

Allance MX have some A1 lids but I don't know if they would give you one to review.

And will contact Allance MX, thanks!

Bizkit031

Jul 15, 2014, 10:29 AM

Sorry MX Alliance(spelling)
Bizkit031

Jul 15, 2014, 10:36 AM

I spoke to the guy from MX alliance now they don't do test samples so this is a problem.He says that he sponsors Myles Kelsey some stuff.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment