Tech

Review: Kitted Wonder Ring Narrow Wide Chainring

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 16 comments

The simplicity of a one-by chain ring setup has always appealed to me. Less cockpit clutter, no chain suck and, for the weight-weenie in me, some grams lost. When the Kitted Wonder Ring arrived for testing I decided to take the plunge and convert my own steed to 1×10.

Kitted’s component range is South African made and focusses on the drivetrain with various narrow wide chainrings and a range extender available. On test is the Kitted Wonder Ring 32T 104BCD which is suitable for 1 x 9,10 or 11. The Wonder Ring features a narrow wide tooth profile which, if you’re not familiar with it, helps eliminate the need for a chain guide to keep the chain from falling off the ring.

Kitted Wonder Ring Chainring-1.jpg

Specifications

• ModelKitted Wonder Ring Narrow Wide
  • Variant32T 104 BCD
  • Material7075-T6 Aluminium
  • ColourBlack or Red
  • PriceR 500
ccs-62657-0-76198900-1440081161 (1).jpg
ccs-62657-0-11775100-1440081162.jpg

The Test Rig

Originally running Shimano XT 2×10, the Wonder Ring was dropped in up front in place of the standard Shimano XT chainrings and a wider range Praxis 11-40 cassette popped on the rear to help with the climbs. A clutch equipped rear derailleur is usually recommended when running one-by and luckily my XT rear derailleur was already of the Shadow Plus variety.

On the trail

Over a few months of riding I’ve had no issues with the Kitted Wonder Ring. Although at first I was consciously observing the performance, it has become a bit of a ‘set and forget’ exercise. During the test period I’ve had zero chain related issues riding over all types of terrain, from bumpy, technical rocky trails to the variety of three days at Wines2Whales. Other than the adjustment in riding style due to the one-by range I’ve hardly noticed the Wonder Ring. Which for me is a great thing as it means it’s quietly doing it’s job without issue.

Noise wise I had initially encountered a bit of a grinding sound from the chain ring when in upper and lower gears with the clutch enabled (quite common on many narrow wide rings), but with the clutch disabled this dissapeared. More importantly since then I’ve been riding mostly with the clutch off with zero chain drops. While initially a very quiet setup when clean and lubed I did find things got noisy after a few hours of dirty riding, but much like any setup would and in this case it didn’t hamper performance.

Kitted Wonder Ring Chainring-2.jpg
Kitted Wonder Ring Chainring-3.jpg

Verdict

If you’re looking to go one by or simply looking for a very well priced replacement for your current narrow wide ring the Kitted Wonder Ring gives great value without compromising quality or performance.

Kitted products are available directly via their website and various retailers.

From the manufacturer: Why one-by?

Comments

TAAHIRWP

Dec 14, 2015, 10:12 AM

Do all narrow wide rings make the grinding noise?

Meezo

Dec 14, 2015, 10:15 AM

Do all narrow wide rings make the grinding noise?

nope, but from experience, both Kitted and Kalbo when initially fitted and ridden until around 200km would make a noise.... Thereafter should be fine!

Rapide Absolute Black CSIXX and the competitors in the price range don't have this issue.

Wolftooth and the like not in same price bracket, but also when fitted no noise.

raptor-22

Dec 14, 2015, 11:03 AM

No noise from the SRAm rings either

Skylark

Dec 14, 2015, 11:40 AM

nope, but from experience, both Kitted and Kalbo when initially fitted and ridden until around 200km would make a noise.... Thereafter should be fine!

Rapide Absolute Black CSIXX and the competitors in the price range don't have this issue.

Wolftooth and the like not in same price bracket, but also when fitted no noise.

Maybe the machining on the Kalbo ring isn't too tight and the rough edges have to be worn off before it's smooth, how does the teeth profiles look when new?
Skylark

Dec 14, 2015, 3:49 PM

Can you post the info here please, not all of us are Facebook acolytes.
KALBO Designs

Dec 14, 2015, 4:12 PM

Can you post the info here please, not all of us are Facebook acolytes.

PM sent

Kitted

Dec 14, 2015, 6:20 PM

Hey hubbers, a little info from our side. The noise you might get from your newly installed chainring is just the "MARRYING" between chain and chainring.

We are constantly working on eliminating any issues that our uses have come back to is but the one thing we can guarantee is long lasting quality.

Since inception we have made numerous upgrades to our chainrings to make sure that you are getting the best ride out there with no hassles.

We are hard at work with our second release of Cassette Extenders, keep an eye on the web page for more info.

divernick

Dec 14, 2015, 7:11 PM

My first Kitted ring lasted over 3000km before it went onto a Build a bike. Onto my second and no issues. The noise I see mentioned can be chain related. On a Shimano SLX chain and a YBN chain (10s) no noise, but on a KMC 10s chain I had a kind of whirring noise for the first ride or 2, but now silent. (New chain and ring).

Daws

Dec 14, 2015, 7:54 PM

I've had my 32t kitted chain ring for two years now and I must say it's been flawless, never dropped the chain with or with out the clutch on. I'm running SLX cassette and chain, haven't had any noise issues.

Jakkals77

Dec 15, 2015, 4:22 AM

Ive noticed that the grinding noise is Not coming from the chain ring but rather the chain. Ive had an Absolute Black Oval chainring and a Kitted chainring and on both the chain made the grinding noise. You need to add, or remover spacers between the chain ring and your crank at the front, so that it can line up with the centre gear on you rear cassette. The grinding noise is a result from the chain having too much horizontal or side ways movement. Just line it up properly and the problem should be solved.

AlanD

Dec 15, 2015, 5:38 AM

I have some noise only when the chain is in the larger cogs but its more of the chain coming onto the teeth as you pedal.

I must say, the new kitted rings are really awsome and super impressed with mine

MTBKen

Dec 28, 2015, 8:35 AM

Using one of these in Blue (32T) and no hassles thus far! Loving it.

Well done to Jacques & the guys at Kitted. Impressed too.

MphatiPyga

Dec 28, 2015, 8:56 AM

I have been getting that grinding noise on my SRAM xx1 but only when pedalling under pressure, ie uphill. Was advised that my chainring is worn because Xx uses a softer metal, I have ordered a different make that is made from a harder material now. However the argument above about alignment and spacers makes sense, could this also be an issue?

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Dec 28, 2015, 2:45 PM

Funny my absolute black is and always has been silent. No "marrying" issues. Perhaps the manufacturing tolerances are too tight?? This might lead to premature chain wear. Just questioning, out of curiosity.

Also I would not advice spacing the front ring out. More of the structural strength is between the interface of the ring against the crank face. With spacers all the pressure is exerting on those small chainbolts only. May be fine but I wouldnt want to find out the hard way..........

PregoRoll

Jan 6, 2016, 12:13 PM

Just collected my Kitted Wonder Ring from Darren, to find an extra few goodies along with it, Many thanks to the guys at Kitted for the awesome service and product!

Keep it up!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment