Tech

Review: Lapierre XR 729

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 22 comments

The Lapierre XR 729 is the French manufacturer’s cross country race offering. There is a option to have an electronically controlled shock, which is rather intriguing, but a story for another day as we tested the mechanical shock model. Checking out the stock component specification for the bike online, I expected a traditional lean and mean cross country bike. I was pleasantly surprised when the custom built bike arrived from Durban.

Lapierre XR 729 Hero.jpg

The Frame

The XR 729 frame is all carbon and is designed to run 29 inch wheels. Lapierre use a linkage driven single pivot suspension design. Most of Lapierre’s longer travel bikes make use of a chainstay pivot, on the XR 729 however the pivots are replaced with flexible carbon stays.

Lapierre XR 729 shock.jpg

The seat tube is interrupted by a wedge which supports the suspension linkage and houses the rear shock. The design raises some eyebrows in terms of aesthetic tastes. Personally, I like it. There are far too many curvy carbon masterpieces out there. I find the brash design on the XR 729 refreshing. And, when you take the bike out on the trails, it’s clear that the design is not only for cosmetic purposes.

Component check

The Lapierre XR 729 as tested was built up from a frame with a custom parts. With the exception of the wheelset, none of these components come on the full factory build.

Fork: We’ve harped on about the excellence of the Pike in a number of bike reviews but never have we had one on a full blown cross country bike. Despite my initial skepticism it turned out to be an excellent choice and matched the feel of the rear suspension surprisingly well.

Lapierre XR 729 9.jpg
Lapierre XR 729 4.jpg

Shock: I have had mixed experiences with Fox Float CTD shocks while testing other bikes. The XR 729, however, managed to awaken the Fox shock and it was a pleasure to ride on the Lapierre.

Wheelset: The DT Swiss Spline X1700 wheelset proved to be up to the challenge. Despite being a bit narrow for current trends, the wheels performed flawlessly. Even with some hard bashing they remained predictable and sturdy throughout testing.

Lapierre XR 729 14.jpg
Lapierre XR 729 15.jpg

Tyres: While the Schwalbe tyres rolled excellently on farm roads, the Thunder Burt on the rear was ill-equipped for the dry Cape trails and farm road turns.

Drivetrain: The drive train was a bit of a mix and match. Shimano’s XT 11-speed shifter, derailleur and cassette were driven by an older XTR crank fitted with a Wolf Tooth chainring. The combination shifted well and proved to be reliable.

Lapierre XR 729 2.jpg
Lapierre XR 729 1.jpg

Seatpost: The XR 729 arrived with a RockShox Reverb adjustable seatpost. While not yet widely adopted by endurance races, from my observations at least, there are many riders (and medical insurers) who would reap benefit from the use of a telescopic seatpost.

On the trail

Although the Lapierre XR 729 arrived dressed with some components you would expect to see on a trail bike, it remained a very capable cross-country weapon.

Going up the hills, the XR 729 did a good job transferring pedalling energy into forward motion. In full lockout, I found myself occasionally spinning out the Thunder Burt tyre on steeper, loose trails. I favoured the Trail setting for just the right amount of pedalling platform while still giving enough compliance to maintain grip and comfort. The efficiency of the rear suspension continues on the flat open road with a direct feel of pedalling effort translating into forward motion.

The Lapierre XR 729 climbs and covers distance like a cross-country bike but on the descents it outshines the competition. The 100 mm rear travel felt deep with good support from the mid-stroke onward. There was a firmness at the end of suspension range that gave the XR 729 an almost bottomless feel. The bike felt composed through rocky sections and punchy on faster smooth trails. The full carbon frame felt nimble, stiff and responsive throughout testing. The sturdy Pike in a 120 mm configuration matched well with the capable rear suspension. It provide the added assurance needed to explore the unexpectedly broad boundaries of the XR 729.

Lapierre XR 729 6.jpg

The unique shock position proved to have its advantages and disadvantages. While it may sound trivial, the position of the shock in the frame was perfect for easily adjusting and checking the damper switch position. The downside, there is no space for a second bottle cage on the seat tube. It also makes it a bit tricky to measure sag with the shock tucked into the frame.

Unfortunately, despite trying, I was unable to source a 100 mm cross-country fork in time to put it on the XR 729. It would have been interesting to see how a shorter race inspired fork would have sharpen the geometry and impacted the feel and balance of the XR 729.

Verdict

The Lapierre XR 729 is a decent marathon and cross country race bike with the ability to push harder than most on technical terrain. It will climb with the best, cover distance with ease, and slap a big confident smile on your face on the descents. If you are looking for a race bike with some trail personality, you won’t go wrong with a Lapierre XR 729 like this.

Pricing and availability

XR 529: R49,725
XR 729 with electronic suspension: R85,150
XR 729 as specced in the review: R65,000
XR 929: R104,000

Frame only: Sorry, you will have to contact them for pricing.

Comments

TheJ

Jun 9, 2016, 10:27 AM

R82k. Ag no. I give up. Thank goodness I bought (read: Imported) my current frame and parts a few years ago.

Someone is getting shafted - and I think it's the consumers.

banna

Jun 9, 2016, 11:14 AM

Genade Gert... Could they not decide on a color? Oh wait, lets use all available colors.

gummibear

Jun 9, 2016, 1:38 PM

Over R80k for a XT specced bike[emoji23][emoji23]

Nick

Jun 9, 2016, 1:47 PM

That price tag is for the E:i electronic suspension model. The reviewed bike is not electronic. Unfortunately I have yet to be given a price for it.

CAAD4

Jun 9, 2016, 1:51 PM

Awesome looking machine.

Stevief

Jun 9, 2016, 2:25 PM

Looks like a makro special

Hackster

Jun 9, 2016, 3:48 PM

Colour choice by committee. But I like the carbon stays instead of pivots. Trick...

FCH

Jun 9, 2016, 6:55 PM

That color - sorry complete pantone collection is off putting.

And why Wolf tooth on a xtr crank.... Why not just a xtr....

This bike confuses me from start to finish

Nick

Jun 9, 2016, 7:09 PM

That color - sorry complete pantone collection is off putting. And why Wolf tooth on a xtr crank.... Why not just a xtr.... This bike confuses me from start to finish

It's a custom build the guys at Lapierre put together from parts they had. You won't find it on the shop floor like this.

Don't the cranks used on the bike and 1x Shimano chainrings have different BCDs? Hence the aftermarket chainring.

FCH

Jun 9, 2016, 8:48 PM

Sorry Nick, you did mention the custom part etc; but now I am even more confused. Why have a bike reviewed that in no way resembles the one coming to market, except for the wheels?

http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/2016/xr-729-729-ei-shock

TheJ

Jun 10, 2016, 7:33 AM

Sorry Nick, you did mention the custom part etc; but now I am even more confused. Why have a bike reviewed that in no way resembles the one coming to market, except for the wheels? http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/2016/xr-729-729-ei-shock

Agree. Reviewed one looks like an enduro bike. Retail ons looks proper XCO/Marathon.

Nick

Jun 10, 2016, 8:04 AM

Sorry Nick, you did mention the custom part etc; but now I am even more confused. Why have a bike reviewed that in no way resembles the one coming to market, except for the wheels? http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/2016/xr-729-729-ei-shock

It's available as a frame only option (so I was told). I tried to convey the feel of the bike more than spend the whole review detailing the outcome of every components choice. I hope to think it will be useful for someone looking to build their own XR 729 or considering a similar specification on this type of bike.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I like to read and ride non-standard bikes every so often. The component choice on factory bikes is usually very formulaic and unimaginative. I enjoyed riding and writing about something different.

Agree. Reviewed one looks like an enduro bike. Retail ons looks proper XCO/Marathon.

For my style of mid pack racing, I found this to be the perfect XCO/Marathon bike.

While lighter components would probably be better for skilled podium contenders, I feel the average rider would see improvements in their fun levels and race times by having a bike that also feels good on the downs.

doppelganger

Jun 10, 2016, 8:25 AM

It's available as a frame only option (so I was told). I tried to convey the feel of the bike more than spend the whole review detailing the outcome of every components choice. I hope to think it will be useful for someone looking to build their own XR 729 or considering a similar specification on this type of bike.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I like to read and ride non-standard bikes every so often. The component choice on factory bikes is usually very formulaic and unimaginative. I enjoyed riding and writing about something different.

For my style of mid pack racing, I found this to be the perfect XCO/Marathon bike.

While lighter components would probably be better for skilled podium contenders, I feel the average rider would see improvements in their fun levels and race times by having a bike that also feels good on the downs.

Any idea on price of the frame only option?

Nick

Jun 10, 2016, 8:40 AM

Ok, just called them to get this all straight.

The bike as specced in the review: R65,000

Full bikes
XR 529: R49,725
XR 729 with electronic suspension: R85,150
XR 929: R104,000

Frame only: Sorry, you will have to contact them for pricing.
Iwan Kemp

Jun 10, 2016, 8:42 AM

Chat to Mark at Good2Go (031) 701 8152

doppelganger

Jun 10, 2016, 10:22 AM

Thanx guys 

FCH

Jun 10, 2016, 11:10 AM

Fair enough. No issue with your review skills

It's available as a frame only option (so I was told). I tried to convey the feel of the bike more than spend the whole review detailing the outcome of every components choice. I hope to think it will be useful for someone looking to build their own XR 729 or considering a similar specification on this type of bike. Also, maybe it's just me, but I like to read and ride non-standard bikes every so often. The component choice on factory bikes is usually very formulaic and unimaginative. I enjoyed riding and writing about something different.  For my style of mid pack racing, I found this to be the perfect XCO/Marathon bike. While lighter components would probably be better for skilled podium contenders, I feel the average rider would see improvements in their fun levels and race times by having a bike that also feels good on the downs.
wanderwoman

Jun 24, 2016, 8:35 AM

Struggling to see the bike through the colours.

OBicycleTouring

Dec 21, 2016, 7:01 AM

The bright colour is one of the best high points on this frame! Infact as the year rolls to its end, I observe that this is now geting common amongst other manufacturers - that is colourful frames.

Remember guys, this style sold many frames for Look eg the 989 ( my dream Frame by the way). I believe strongly Lapierre bikes will go a long way in South Africa. Thanks all

Skott5

Dec 21, 2016, 7:05 AM

These have arrived in SA ...

This is one Sexy beast

http://lapierre-api-v4.i-com.fr/sites/default/files/bike/2017/Fiche_A205-XR-729-E-i-TQAV.jpg

OBicycleTouring

Dec 27, 2016, 8:10 AM

These have arrived in SA ...

This is one Sexy beast

http://lapierre-api-v4.i-com.fr/sites/default/files/bike/2017/Fiche_A205-XR-729-E-i-TQAV.jpg

I agree with you 100℅! I mean, just look at the lines. I luv'emm!

By the way, I just bought myself an XR729 Frame to build.

Lapierrecraig

May 20, 2017, 7:59 AM

Buyers beware, stay away from this bike, especially the EI version, this bike rides beautifully, it is fast up and down hills and keeps up with hardtail xc bikes uphill and a lot of trail bikes downhill but that is only when it works. I have had this bike for three years and it has spent 6months of that time in the workshop and probably the same amount of time waiting for spares. The EI shock servo motor strips gears, the frame has broken twice, the EI wiring has been faulty for almost as long as I have had this bike and the head unit has been replaced, almost forgot the cadence magnet keeps slipping. This French bike is even worse than a French car. I will never go near a Lapierre again and you are taking a massive risk buying one, you have been warned.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment