Tech

Review: Lapierre Zesty AM427

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 13 comments

The Zesty is available with 29″ wheels with 120mm travel front and rear and 27.5″ with 150mm travel front and rear. Lapierre feel that both wheel sizes offer benefits and that the compromise of making a 130mm+ 29er would be too large. The 27.5″ carries an AM (All Mountain) moniker while the 120mm 29er falls under their Trail (TR) range.

ccs-62657-0-15791400-1440988899.jpg

Frame

The Zesty AM we tested had Lapierre’s OST+ (Optimized Suspension Technology), Horst-link suspension design. First launched in 2008 with input from Nicolas Vouilloz, the design centres around a virtual pivot point system and is said to eliminate pedal bob while remaining fully active over bumps.

Alloy Supreme 6, first introduced by Lapierre in 2011 on their DH bikes, combines the lightness and performance of scandium with exceptional reliability and resistance. Compared with the more widely used aluminium 7005, Supreme 6 offers a frame that is 12% more wear and impact resistant, 1.5% lighter and, thanks to a more homogeneous microstructure, has a longer life. It is difficult (read near impossible) to asses this during a review period so we will have to take Lapierre’s word for this.

ccs-62657-0-24875700-1440988905.jpg

The rear triangle is quite massive around the rear axle. It looks mean, but can cause your heels to rub against them while pedaling. The extra bulk does give one the confidence that it will last for years and years.

A couple of clever ideas on Lapierre’s part. First, there’s an integrated rear derailleur guard made from carbon fibre. This will keep your derailleur safe in a crash and out of the way of flying rocks.

ccs-62657-0-39378200-1440989203.jpg
ccs-62657-0-37514100-1440989200.jpg

Secondly, the Zest features a sag guide printed on the left seat stay with a rubber band and indicator on the seat tube making set up a breeze. Lastly, the frame has internal routing for a dropper post as well as their E:i suspension.

Components

Fork: The Zesty confirms that a Fox 32 has no place on a bike with 140mm of travel or more. It simply can’t keep up when pushed hard and it’s small bump sensitivity is not nearly good enough to be able to balance big hit performance with smoothing out trail clutter. On top of that it shows signs of flex quite early.

ccs-62657-0-98684900-1440988892.jpg
ccs-62657-0-00036900-1440989783.jpg

Drivetrain: Gear from Shimano, SRAM and Race Face work together on the AM427. It’s quite a mixed bag, but it works 100% and once up to speed you won’t notice, or care, who what is from. Shifting was positive and the Turbine cranks from Race Face are stiff and spin smoothly.

Brakes: Shimano XT brakes are a firm favourite and again made me realise just how far kit has come. Pushing the Zesty to the max will require a bigger than the 180mm front rotor though.

ccs-62657-0-19661600-1440988874.jpg

Dropper Post: The KS Integra was near flawless. I say near as it needed some TLC initially to actuate it. As this was a demo bike that changes hands often, I wouldn’t be too worried.

Wheels: This was my first time riding Race Face wheels. They get the job done and I quite liked the understated, but good looking graphics. For the heavy hitters 28 spokes per wheel may be a concern, but without a proper long-term test there’s no way of knowing. Hub engagement is average rather than snappy.

ccs-62657-0-16135000-1440988890.jpg
ccs-62657-0-17205400-1440988883.jpg

Tires: Much like the fork, Nobby Nics have no place on a long travel bike that is intended to be ridden hard. I would say 120mm is it’s limit unless it’s on the rear or you are out XC racing your bike.

The handlebar and stem are both Lapierre Nico Vouilloz Signature made by FUNN. At 740mm wide the bars are of average width, but is a good fit for the bike’s overall geometry.

ccs-62657-0-51962100-1440988886.jpg

On the Trail

Usually I would look at a bike’s geometry when the review is confirmed to get an idea of what’s coming. The Zesty had it’s top tube stretched a couple of seasons ago. The Medium we had on test felt comfortable with it’s 605mm top tube and it’s generous 434mm reach. The bike felt balanced and familiar from the go. What caught me off guard was how well the bike went without any tinkering and hours spent tweaking the suspension and set up. What was an even bigger surprise was just how fun the bike was out on the trail.

Within the first few metres of single track, I was wondering whether I had looked at the wrong bike purely because I couldn’t remember reading anything about a secret ingredient or magic geometry number. Although the numbers are spot on for current trends, maybe a little short compared to what seems to be the norm nowadays, there doesn’t seem to be any one magic number. Instead the magic seems to be in the combination of it all with a 74° seat angle, 430mm chain stays, 67° head angle and decently low BB height. In fact, those numbers seem quite safe especially when looking at the head angle.

The rear suspension copes well with small bumps and big hits and never felt like it was running out of steam. At the weight it shouldn’t climb as good as it does, it never felt like it was holding me back. In fact I was thinking “wow” on every ride while pedaling to the top. Now, I’m not saying it’s a XC whippet that will see you take KOM’s in the mast challenge but, for what it is, the Zesty climbs better than most in the category.

ccs-62657-0-37178900-1440988908.jpg
ccs-62657-0-12970600-1440988877.jpg

The extra weight gives the bike added stability and a solid feel when descending. This is good as chances are you will be going fast on this bike. Direction change feels natural and almost instinctive and getting the bike to do what you’d like takes very little effort.

Unfortunately the fork and tires (especially on the front) run out of ability long before the frame does. Strangely enough this wasn’t as a big of an irritation as on some other bikes. I’d put this down to the well-balanced geometry and trail manners of the bike. The Spicy offers the same frame with a pick of Fox 34 or Rock Shox Pike, depending on the model, and could be worth a look. Otherwise ask your LBS to look into upgrading these for you before you hit the trails.

Verdict

I would say skip the E:i rear suspension option and use the money to upgrade the fork and tires off the floor. And that is all I could think of that could be considered negative about this bike. Yes, it’s not the lightest. Yes, it’s not a plastic bike. Yes, the rear triangle is quite wide. Yes, it doesn’t seem to run around chasing the latest buzz words and trends. Do I care about any of those after riding this bike? No. Not one bit. The Lapierre Zesty is like your favourite pair of jeans that just “fit”.

On my first ride, I was already trying to figure out how I could make it mine, as it’s pure, uncomplicated fun. Like mountain biking should be.

Specifications

• SizesS M L XL
  • FrameZESTY AM 27.5″ ALLOY SUPREME 6 OST+ 150mm Rear Travel
  • ForkROCKSHOX REVELATION RL SOLO AIR 27.5″ 150mm 15QR TAPERED (MECHANICAL VERSION:FOX 32 FLOAT CTD EVOLUTION O/C 27.5″ 150mm 15QR TAPERED)
  • Rear shockROCKSHOX MONARCH E:i RT3 FAST 200x57mm (MECHANICAL VERSION: FOX FLOAT CTD EVOLUTION LV)
  • HeadsetFSA Orbit 1.5E ZS NO.57E + 5.3mm Top cap
  • CranksRACE FACE TURBINE 36×22 170mm / 175mm (Size: M, L, XL)
  • Bottom BracketSHIMANO PRESSFIT KSMB
  • F. DerailleurSRAM X7 S3 36T
  • R. DerailleurSHIMANO XT SHADOW PLUS KRDM786GSL 10-SPEED
  • ShifterSHIMANO SLX KSLM670 ISpec 2×10 SPEED
  • CogsetSRAM PG 1030 10-SPEED 11-36T
  • ChainSRAM PG 1031 10-SPEED
  • BrakesSHIMANO HYDRAULIC XT BRM785 BLACK
  • Brake LeversSHIMANO KSMRT66 180MM 6-BOLT TYPE
  • WheelsetRACE FACE TURBINE 27.5″ 15×100 / 12×142 + LAQR-12-E Thru Axle
  • TiresSCHWALBE NOBBY NIC PERF 27.5×2.25 57-584
  • HandlebarLAPIERRE Nico Vouilloz Signature by FUNN 6061DB W:740mm R:15mm ø: 31.8mm
  • GripsLAPIERRE RUBBER GRIPS LOCK-ON
  • Stem LAPIERRE Nico Vouilloz Signature by FUNN ø: 31.8 E:55mm / 70mm (Size L, XL)
  • SeatpostKS LEV INTEGRA TRAVEL:125mm L:385mm ø: 31.6mm
  • SeatSDG DUSTER LP Custom
  • ColoursYellow
  • Recommended RetailR 44,000.00

From the Manufacturer:

https://vimeo.com/73727537
It rules the mountains! In the saddle of our Zesty AM, you’re all set for the greatest challenges. New designs but the spirit remains the same: thanks to OST+ 150mm-travel suspension and its dedicated geometry for 27.5” wheels, the Zesty AM offers unique performance. It’s quite simply the model offering the best compromise between uphill efficiency and downhill stability.

The bike for the perfect balance of efficiency and pleasure!

Comments

Odinson

Aug 31, 2015, 6:34 AM

Great looking bike, but not a value proposition in my opinion. A 150mm FOX 32 Evo on a R44k bike? Ooh, eh, eh. 

Have read of a lot of riders whose legs and feet rub against those massive seatstays. Would be an absolute deal breaker for me. 

Skott5

Aug 31, 2015, 7:54 AM

Nice review Iwan.

The wide chainstays are not really a deal breaker, you get used to them. The 2015 model is an improvement on the 2014's anyway. Those are wide !!

It's like you say in your review, this is pretty much a get on and go bike !  

Aug 31, 2015, 8:40 AM

I enjoy the wide rear end A LOT!! Super stiff and being one who rides both cleated and flats I have no particular hassle with any noticeable scuffing or knocking or obstruction. I actually have none of that when riding cleated. I guess it all depends on your foot size etc.

As for alloy frames - will always remain my mainstay frame choice specially because of the longevity it offers.

I did however custom build my own as elements of the std 2015 build kit doesn't lend to the true character of the frame capabilities. Same goes for most Trail and AM completes that one buys out there. Suspension platform and wheelset , for starters, inevitably need upgrading in most instances. Once a wise build kit has been thought out for a particular frame then it is that one truly experiences the limitations of a frame and one's own abilities ;)  Like the PYGAs the Lapierres ride like .... as if an intimate ride experience is inherent once straddled and hammered.

No such thing as getting used to it ;)

As stated above :

""The Lapierre Zesty is like your favourite pair of jeans that just "fit".

On my first ride, I was already trying to figure out how I could make it mine, as it's pure, uncomplicated fun. Like mountain biking should be.""

See my personal Zesty TR329 full alloy frame 9r Trail custom here :

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/126041-your-enduro-ride/page-231

and the most recent Zesty TR529 carbon/alloy 9r Trail custom here:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/126041-your-enduro-ride/page-234

Aug 31, 2015, 8:59 AM

Another worthy point to make is that the std complete kits in the various Trail and AM models offered is more than enough for most riders out there. However, for the aggressive and competitive Enduro racer the suspension platform & wheelset/tire upgrade will be essential. As well as simplifying things to a 1x10 & 1x11 config.

Aug 31, 2015, 9:05 AM

And the vids of the Legend Nico on the TR29 series and AM650B series are great eloquent visual expressions.

nonky

Aug 31, 2015, 1:11 PM

great review - what's the head angle on the 29er?

Aug 31, 2015, 2:43 PM

Zesty TR series:

S, M, L -- 69

XL -- 67

Iwan Kemp

Aug 31, 2015, 2:52 PM

No such thing as getting used to it ;)

Exactly. What was strange was that the bike felt dialed from the off. Like getting in a mates car and the seat, steering and mirrors are all exactly how you like them and the clutch and brake feel is exactly like your own. To the point where you notice just how little there is to notice. 

Get on and ride. Repeat.  

Pipsqueak

Sep 1, 2015, 7:36 AM

Yes, Nobby nic is a deceptively crap front tyre.

Good2Go

Sep 15, 2015, 2:30 PM

Amazing bikes and great value for money

Good2Go

Sep 15, 2015, 2:43 PM

Zesty AM 427's bigger brother. Mr AM 527 carbon version..

post-40727-0-41415600-1442328146_thumb.jpg

Iwan Kemp

Sep 15, 2015, 3:14 PM

Zesty AM 427's bigger brother. Mr AM 527 carbon version..

Love the colors on the AM 527

Sep 18, 2015, 2:46 PM

Another great detail worth highlighting is the flip chip essentially making the frame 26" compatible as well !! Keeping the rad head angle the Zesty AM has in that wheel size mode.

So, you can run both wheel sizes and 26" as well as 27.5" fork on this frame. Great stuff ;)

I'll post the images on my Hub ad for the Zesty AM427

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubmarket&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=155707&new=1

Add a comment

You must log in to comment