Tech

Review: Lizard Skins DSP 3.2mm Bar Tape

· By Matt · 11 comments

Bar tape on a road bike is something most riders don’t pay all that much attention to, yet as a key contact point the choice can make a considerable difference to your ride. Lizard Skins DSP 3.2mm Bar Tape offers a wider, super comfortable feel with better shock absorption.

Considerably thicker than your standard cork based bar tape, the DSP 3.2mm is designed for added comfort. So much so that it was the bar tape of choice for our own MTN-Qhubeka as they took on the cobbles of Paris-Roubaix this year.

Specs

Weight: 78g per set (including plugs)

Thickness: 3.2mm

Material: Durasoft Polymer

Colours: Black, Red, Green, Blue, White, Grey

Lizard Skins DSP bar tape colours 1.jpg
Lizard Skins DSP bar tape colours 2.jpg
Lizard Skins DSP bar tape colours 3.jpg
Lizard Skins DSP bar tape colours 4.jpg
Lizard Skins DSP bar tape colours 5.jpg
Lizard Skins DSP bar tape colours 6.jpg

On the bike

Installing the DSP 3.2mm is a straightforward process. Thanks to the rubbery synthetic material there’s a decent amount of stretch in the tape. It is also backed with a self-adhesive strip and in the box you’ll find additional pre-cut strips for the levers, plugs and finishing tape.

Lizard Skins DSP bar tape 3.jpg
Lizard Skins DSP bar tape 2.jpg

The added thickness of the tape is immediately noticeable with a slightly wider, yet comfortable grip compared to ordinary bar tape. The feel of the Lizard Skins is quite unique: it’s got a spongy, slightly cushy feel and is rubbery to the touch.

An initial concern was how grip would hold up in wet or sweaty conditions. Even without gloves the grip was good through all conditions. In the wet the tape remained tacky thanks to the texture etched into the surface.

Out on the road shock absorption and vibration dampening were the winning features for me. Having snapped my carbon bar some time ago, I’d found the switch to aluminium came with a far harsher ride, especially riding sans gloves. The comfy Lizard Skins though took most, if not all, of that harshness out leaving my hands, wrists and arms in better shape on bumpy surfaces.

Lizard Skins DSP bar tape 4.jpg
Lizard Skins DSP bar tape 1.jpg

If the wider grip and spongy feel are not to your liking (or your weight-weenie-ness is just that strong), Lizard Skins also offer the DSP Tape in thinner, lighter 1.8mm and 2.5mm options.

Verdict

While comfort and grip of the Lizard Skins DSP 3.2mm tape comes at a premium, the benefit to the feel of my ride is well worth it.

The Lizard Skins DSP bar tape 1.8mm and 2.5mm retails for R399 while the recommended retail price for the 3.2mm (tested in this review) is R450.

Comments

DaviM

Apr 29, 2015, 8:38 AM

Awesome product just finding it is a problem. Love the duel colour option!

Mongoose!

Apr 29, 2015, 9:15 AM

Great review. Thanks for putting some "road stuff" reviews also here. ☺

Long Wheel Base

Apr 29, 2015, 9:34 AM

A mate of mine has just fitted some to his bike(and then crashed a few weeks later) But he is loving it. My LBS can order for me and plenty colours available. Price wise its competitive with the likes of fizik.

Rocket-Boy

Apr 29, 2015, 10:28 AM

But it will never look as awesome as that Cinelli bartape that Gummi has on his Ritchey.

Mongoose!

Apr 29, 2015, 1:25 PM

R400 - R450 is way over priced - sad but true

Rocket-Boy

Apr 29, 2015, 5:42 PM

R400 - R450 is way over priced - sad but true

Welcome to the bike industry. If you compare it to say squash/tennis grips and hockey grips you actually see just how stupidly overpriced it is.

rock

Apr 29, 2015, 5:52 PM

R150 at CWC (2.5mm)

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/lizardskins-dsp-25-dual-tape

DaviM

May 1, 2015, 6:57 AM

limited colours though, cant wait for new stock. I have the black and green on my supersix looks awesome!

lechatnoir

May 1, 2015, 10:46 AM

Sticks like the proverbial to a blanket in wet and dry and seems to resist getting dirty too... trying to find a reason to replace the tape on my new bike with some of this...

camelman

May 1, 2015, 2:48 PM

Sticks like nothing else in the dry.  Does get a bit slippery when wet or sweaty, especially with bare hands. Have it in white and for some reason the dirt collects around the edges of the tape where the one piece of tape overlaps the other. Definitely expensive, but worth the money for the comfort and the extra grip in the dry.  I also have big hands, so the little bit of extra thickness that the 3.2mm tape adds to the stock bar is very welcome.

Pah Bear

May 14, 2015, 1:50 PM

Had a set. Felt ok as bar tape goes, but discovered a wear mark ON TOP OF THE BAR just behind the right lever. Obvious palm contact point. And this appeared after about two months of riding. Went back to CWC who fitted it and get the tape replaced (for free). Needless to say I took another brand. So ...

Add a comment

You must log in to comment