Tech

Review: Lyne Contour Dropper Seatpost

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 80 comments

Dropper posts have fast become an expected feature on any decent trail bike and increasingly seen on marathon and cross country offerings. With the rise in popularity comes an influx of feedback on the variety of options available. Amongst the many satisfied dropper owners we see a littering of complaints about the high costs of market leaders and the inferiority of many of the low cost contenders.

Lyne Contour Dropper Post-6.jpg

Enter the Contour Dropper post from Lyne Components. The Contour Dropper post features hydraulic internals with external mechanical cables linked to the lever. This results in super smooth actuation and unlimited adjustability along the length of its travel. It also makes internal routing and maintenance a whole lot simpler.

The chaps behind the brand are Cape Town based and have a healthy background in the bike industry. The products themselves are made in Taiwan and all carry a two year warranty. In terms of maintenance, the mechanical components are easily serviceable by a capable home mechanic or at your local bike shop using standard gear cables and housing. The hydraulic cartridge is also replaceable, should it develop any issues over time, at a cost of roughly R600 (exchange rate dependant).

The Contour Dropper post is currently available in four specifications catering for a relatively small range of seatpost diameters, travel and routing options. Our test model is the 31.6mm diameter internally routed post with 100mm of travel. This is currently the only option available in 31.6mm, with more options available to those running 30.9mm. There is talk of a 31.6mm, 120mm travel with external routing scheduled to arrive towards the end of August 2016.

Lyne Contour Dropper Post-4.jpg

Specifications (as tested)

• Diameter31.6mm
  • Travel100mm
  • RoutingInternal
  • Weight+/- 507g (excluding cable and lever)
  • Length345mm
  • Warranty2 years
  • PriceR 2,199.00

Other options available:

• 30.9 x 100mm Internal Routing, Travel: 100mm, Weight: +/- 490g, Total length 345mm
  • 30.9 x 120mm Internal Routing, Travel: 120mm, Weight: +/- 531g, Total length 390mm
  • 30.9 x 100mm External Routing, Travel: 100mm, Weight: +/- 634g, Total length 400mm

When looking at any new seatpost getting the length (and diameter) right is critical. In my case, running the 345mm Contour at recommended maximum extension ends up just 1cm short of my ideal saddle height for proper leg extension. No problem for me during the test period on mostly casual trail rides, but for long term use and longer stage races, I’d need something just a fraction longer.

Lyne Contour Dropper Post-1.jpg
Lyne Contour Dropper Post-2.jpg
Lyne Contour Dropper Post-3.jpg

Installation

Out of the box the Contour is an impressive looking, well built piece of kit. The overall appearance and the feel in your hands gives the impression of high build quality.

Depending on your specific frame the experience of routing internal cables may be quite different. In my case routing through a Momsen Vipa XT 2015 involved wool string, a vacuum cleaner, plenty duct tape and a whole lot of patience.

Once the cable housing provided is routed in your frame it’s as simple as cutting down the length as suggested in the installation guide and attaching the cable. There are a few important details to take note of to ensure proper function, but the instructions are easy to follow and concise enough for those who typically don’t read manuals.

Lyne Contour Dropper Post-8.jpg

Lyne Contour Dropper Post-10.jpg
Lyne Contour Dropper Post-11.jpg

On the trail

The Lyne Contour operates via a simple lever like most other droppers. Push the lever and sit down on the saddle to drop, releasing at your desired level to set the height. To pop back up simply hit the lever again either while standing to return to the fully extended position or guiding it up to the desired level.

The actuation is super smooth and infinite adjustability, thanks to the hydraulic cartridge, is a big plus for what is, on price at least, an entry-level offering. The lever itself is very light and responsive and during testing required no adjustment or reattachment, which makes me question the need for a hydraulic line in any dropper. The post’s return is gentle and controllable making it easy to avoid any unplanned groin crunching. In all positions the Contour dropper feels very secure, both laterally and horizontally, with no movement once set at the level you choose.

Lyne Contour Dropper Post-7.jpgThe standard lever included in the box
Lyne Contour Dropper Post-5.jpgA 1x lever upgrade is also available for R199

Although a fraction too short, for my needs as a stage race and casual trail rider the 100m of travel is plenty, but those with longer travel bikes and more “minerals” might be left wanting. If you’re running a 30.9mm seat post then the 120mm internal option should have you covered, but here the limited options do mean not all setups and preferences will be catered for.

After a few months on the Contour dropper post I’m thoroughly impressed. Although by no means a true long term test with two and a half months of riding, I’ve had nothing but dropper post joy from the Contour. It’s been working flawlessly since day one with no adjustments or maintenance (aside from regular cleaning) required so far.

Lyne Contour Dropper Post-9.jpg

Verdict

The Lyne Contour dropper post delivers top level performance at entry-level pricing. The hydraulic internals coupled with mechanical externals offer the best of both worlds in the adjustability and smoothness of hydraulic along with the simplicity and ease of maintenance of mechanical cables.

If you’re in the market for a dropper post the Contour should be firmly at the top of your list, that is if your required size is available. My hope is that as demand grows Lyne Components will be able to expand their range further to include more travel and routing options across all common diameters. Until then I’ll pop my name on the “waiting list” for a 31.6mm, 120mm travel, internal routing. Please.

Pros

• Excellent pricing
  • Super smooth with unlimited adjustability
  • High build quality

Cons

• Limited options available at present

For more information visit lynecomponents.com

Related posts

Comments

T-Bob

Aug 16, 2016, 9:17 AM

Love the look of these and if there is a 120 external then that would be a winner. And to be honest that 1x trigger is a great idea.

They just need to make that trigger available for other makes (giant... hint, hint) or my current post needs to pack up so I have an excuse to get one of these! 

Great to see a SA company in the market and bringing real world value, a quality product and backing themselves with the warranty and the cartridge. Good luck! 

popcorn_skollie

Aug 16, 2016, 11:07 AM

Considering the price, quality, warranty and service cost. A few more options in post diametre and travel and we could have a market killer for droppers in SA. Forking out 6k on a 125mm stealth reverb seems really silly now. 

NickGM

Aug 16, 2016, 11:38 AM

The real test of droppers is the long-term reliability. Months of uppy-downy in different weather conditions. People thought Crankbrother's first 2 dropper posts (Joplin and Chronolog) were great for the first week.... 

But I'm stoked that there is a competitive local product emerging, I hope it measures up. 

Good review. 

rouxtjie

Aug 16, 2016, 11:44 AM

Considering the price, quality, warranty and service cost. A few more options in post diametre and travel and we could have a market killer for droppers in SA. Forking out 6k on a 125mm stealth reverb seems really silly now. 

rebuilding / servicing one, even sillier and exactly why I got one of these....thusfar, not an issue

kk6gan

Aug 16, 2016, 4:07 PM

Will that 1x trigger work with a giant post ? The giant switch is seriously lacking in design and I would love to replace it with that "shifter" like trigger

the nerd

Aug 16, 2016, 5:24 PM

Will that 1x trigger work with a giant post ? The giant switch is seriously lacking in design and I would love to replace it with that "shifter" like trigger

yep it will, but it appears they do not have stock...

kk6gan

Aug 16, 2016, 5:25 PM

Well that's good and bad news…

KingTJ

Aug 16, 2016, 5:35 PM

Seen this on a mates bike, and he could only rant and rave about it...

Meezo

Aug 18, 2016, 1:59 PM

bought one to replace my current giant "trigger"

just haven't around to doing it yet

this is the plan

knarp

post-8906-0-38076200-1471528731.jpg

it will go here

post-8906-0-86880700-1471528753_thumb.jpg

post-8906-0-16467500-1471528751_thumb.jpg

Dexter-morgan

Aug 23, 2016, 9:01 AM

where can I put my name down for an order?

Iwan Kemp

Aug 23, 2016, 9:11 AM

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/190089-lyne-contour-dropper-post-new/

Lyne Components

Aug 23, 2016, 1:15 PM

Hi there,

Alternatively, go to www.lynecomponents.com, look at the dropper post options then click on the "Buy Now" button to go to the online store.

More stock, including 1x levers, will be available during next week.

Lyne Team

Lyne Components

Aug 23, 2016, 1:20 PM

There will be three more options available from sometime next week: 31.6 x 120mm externally routed, 30.9 x 150mm internally routed and 27.2 x 105mm internally routed

Lyne Team

ScottCM

Aug 23, 2016, 2:06 PM

There will be three more options available from sometime next week: 31.6 x 120mm externally routed, 30.9 x 150mm internally routed and 27.2 x 105mm internally routed

Lyne Team

Great work guys. Best of luck and i truly hope your product is successful. Will visit you guys first when in the market for one.

slickandtyred

Aug 24, 2016, 3:42 PM

How about 27.2 external routing?

PPLLLLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEE

BenReaper

Aug 24, 2016, 7:22 PM

How about 27.2 external routing?

PPLLLLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEE

We are apparently such a small minority, we can't be fussy, have to grab what we can get.......

I'll just have to drill a hole somewhere in the frame.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

slickandtyred

Aug 25, 2016, 4:41 AM

Apart from the obvious, what are the implications of drilling through the frame?

Nick

Aug 25, 2016, 5:02 AM

Apart from the obvious, what are the implications of drilling through the frame?

I've been wondering the same.

There is a discussion here that might answer some questions:  https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/156169-drilling-frame-for-reverb-stealth

T-Bob

Aug 25, 2016, 7:51 AM

bought one to replace my current giant "trigger"

just haven't around to doing it yet

this is the plan

knarp

attachicon.gif3.jpg

it will go here

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

How did this go? I'm super keen to get this inlay on my dropper. Where did you get that nut? 

Meezo

Aug 25, 2016, 7:52 AM

How did this go? I'm super keen to get this inlay on my dropper. Where did you get that nut? 

didn't not get a chance yet, the "knarp" is available at most clutch places.

If I get one that fits, i'll buy many and let this thread know... for the McGuyver

Thermophage

Aug 28, 2016, 5:36 PM

Lyne Team

no news on the 150mm internally routed yet? :)

T-Bob

Aug 28, 2016, 8:16 PM

didn't not get a chance yet, the "knarp" is available at most clutch places.

If I get one that fits, i'll buy many and let this thread know... for the McGuyver

Legend... every time I ride now all I can think is "darn I wish I had that trigger' when I reach for the dropper. 

Jewbacca

Aug 29, 2016, 5:57 AM

I've been wondering the same.

There is a discussion here that might answer some questions:  https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/156169-drilling-frame-for-reverb-stealth

With your steel frame you could very easily get a proper cable thread brazed on so it would be supported.

I am going this route with Blinky

Iwan Kemp

Aug 29, 2016, 6:07 AM

With your steel frame you could very easily get a proper cable thread brazed on so it would be supported.

I am going this route with Blinky

Would also be easy to enough to pop around to Mercer to have him install one of these

ccs-62657-0-30916900-1424421682.jpg

Add a comment

You must log in to comment