Tech

Review: Oakley Crossrange

Words by Kylie Hanekom

· By Bike Hub Features · 0 comments

Oakley Crossrange are versatile sunglasses designed to bridge the gap between sport and leisure: killing two birds with one proverbial stone.

ccs-58780-0-78221100-1501144877.jpg

The Crossrange range features a variety of lens and frame colour combinations to suit almost any taste and preferred riding style or activity. Each pair comes with a Lifestyle nose pad and temple, and a second set of interchangeable Sport temples (I tend to call them arms) and nose pad featuring Oakley’s Unobtainium non-slip grips for more sports-specific applications.

We tested the Crossrange PRIZM with a Woodgrain frame and Prizm Tungsten Polarized lenses. Aside from the standard style, the Crossrange is also available in the XL shape, which has a larger lens for broader faces, and the Crossrange R, which features a more rounded lense.

Specifications

• Interchangeable Unobtainium earsocks and nosepads for extra grip
  • Three-Point Fit holds lenses in precise optical alignment while eliminating pressure points
  • PRIZM Technology lenses provide unprecedented control of light transmission resulting in colors precisely tuned to maximize contrast and enhance visibility.
  • RRP depends on lenses and ranges from R1800 to R3000 per pair

ccs-58780-0-83225500-1501144881.jpg

Out and about

The Crossrange have a simple, timeless design. They are marketed as specifically for men, although I couldn’t find an equivalent women’s product in the Oakley range. I found the design sufficiently unisex for my taste, especially in the context of more active use- although that is a very subjective choice. I felt comfortable wearing them in every situation: from coffee shops to sundowners to four-hour mountain bike rides.

Swapping the temples and nosepiece is a quick and easy affair, but I tended to set and forget with the grippy Unobtainium sports arms, mainly because I preferred the colour.

ccs-58780-0-85523300-1501144878.jpg
ccs-58780-0-50882000-1501144880.jpg

On the bike

The Crossrange fitted snugly and felt as secure as my usual Oakley Jawbreakers. They fit comfortably with my Specialized Propero, a Specialized Ambush, and a Fox Flux helmet. It is always advisable to check with your helmet to make sure that the glasses fit properly before buying.

Compared with the Radar EV Path Prizm Trail we reviewed, there are noticeably more blind spots created by the frame of the Crossrange. More specifically in the outer and lower peripheral area of vision. This is due to the wraparound design of the Radars, and the fact that they don’t have a frame getting in the way at the bottom. The Crossrange, however, are infinitely more stylish, and in that sense more versatile.

I used them for casual rides and tried them on a couple of long mountain bike rides, where they performed admirably. I wouldn’t choose to wear them for very technical or high-speed riding due to the slightly decreased peripheral field of vision and increased airflow permitted at high speeds because they do not wrap around the face. For commuting and more casual riding, they are ideal.

As with most branded eyewear, the price is the only truly prohibitive factor. But if you consider it from the angle that you are getting two pairs of sunglasses in one, it starts to look a lot better.

In terms of durability, they have held up well to the abuse dished out by a few months of wear. I’m not very good at using a protective case and have been known to stuff glasses into a pocket with keys along with other lens risky behaviour. No scratches so far.

ccs-58780-0-94308000-1501144882.jpg

In the end

As a do-it-all sunglasses option, the Crossrange nail the brief. They can take you from a workday commute to brunch, the beach or anywhere else you choose.

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Versatile
  • Stylish

Cons

• Brand name pricing
  • Not ideal for very high speed descents
  • More blind spots than sports specific glasses

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment