Tech

Review: ODI Rogue Grips

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 18 comments

The ODI Rogue has been my grip of choice for several years now. The Rogue grips arrive with clamps, hardware, and end caps. The clamps are available in several anodized colours to suit your bike. You’ll have the option of standard length 115mm grips or a shorter version for compatibility with SRAM twist shifters.

Lock on grips have two man advantages over slip on grips. First and the most obvious is the fact that they lock to your handlebar. This will eliminate any possibility of the grip slipping when the going gets rough or when it’s wet out on the trails. The second advantage is the ability to quickly remove them to fit a new bar, different grips or control components that slide off. No messy residue left behind or the hassle of just about destroying your grips to get them off your handlebar.

ccs-62657-0-09909400-1451890930.jpg

The Rogues have a wider 33mm external diameter thanks to larger raised “pads” that provide extra cushioning.

Product features:

• Extra large raised pads provide excellent shock absorption
  • Deep grooves help channel away dirt or debris
  • Lock-On Grip System means slip free performance
  • Includes new Snap Cap end plugs
  • Grips available in Black and Lime Green
  • Width 33mm
  • Length 130mm (Shorter options available for SRAM Gripshift users)

On the Trail

Thanks to the extra meat, gloves with padding aren’t required to help with fatigue. The grips also offer small bump absorption which soaks up some of the trail vibration. The large raised pads and fairly soft rubber give the ODI Rogues a slightly tacky feel that holds to your hands through the roughest of trail sections.

The soft feel will not be to everyone’s liking. Downhill riders and hardcore Enduro racers will most likely prefer a thinner grip, but for most others these will be a welcome relief on longer rides.

ccs-62657-0-43621200-1451890929.jpg

Verdict

Grips might seem simple but as one of three contact points they have the potential to ruin a good ride should they slip or feel uncomfortable. Fortunately ODI grips are well thought out and have proven themselves on mountain bikes of all sorts as well as on MX bikes.

If the extra meat is not to your liking, ODI also make the Ruffian model which is thinner and less spongier.

Pros

• “Cushy” feel
  • Once locked on they stay in place
  • Colour options provide some customizing
  • Long Lasting

Cons

• 2.5mm screws are prone to filling with mud, potentially causing them to strip if not completely cleaned out before removing
  • The extra width will not be for everyone

From the Manufacturer

For those who prefer to have more grip to hold onto, the Rogue Lock-On grips provide extra large pads constructed of our proprietary compounds designed to provide the ultimate in shock absorption.

Tags: , ,

Comments

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Jan 12, 2016, 6:04 AM

Very good review Iwan. Look like very nice grips.

You never mentioned a RRP tough?

I find these grippier types of grips tend to get soiled very easily when working on the bike. I'll explain, when greasy hands from bike maintenance touches the grip, for the next 3 months the grip tends to "leach" this same grease no matter how you try to clean it.

Tip is to cover the grips when working on the bike. In the motorbike industry they sell a type of wrap around, Velcro cover which you can put on when working. Just an observation.

Thanks for another great review.

GSG

Jan 12, 2016, 6:08 AM

I've used the ODI Rogue for about 1000km's now and I really enjoyed them, however I am often in my rides left with a numb feeling in my hands. I have just changed over to ESI to compare, did a 70km ride and experienced the numbness less... Maybe it was just in my head?

Anyone else experience the same?

Dirty Sanchez

Jan 12, 2016, 6:14 AM

They also integrate with certain KS droppers - less clutter on the bars :)

Eddy Gordo

Jan 12, 2016, 6:52 AM

I have been using ODi for the last year. They are definately awesome.

Iwan Kemp

Jan 12, 2016, 6:58 AM

Very good review Iwan. Look like very nice grips.

You never mentioned a RRP tough?

I find these grippier types of grips tend to get soiled very easily when working on the bike. I'll explain, when greasy hands from bike maintenance touches the grip, for the next 3 months the grip tends to "leach" this same grease no matter how you try to clean it.

Tip is to cover the grips when working on the bike. In the motorbike industry they sell a type of wrap around, Velcro cover which you can put on when working. Just an observation.

Thanks for another great review.

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Was trying to figure out how to phrase this still. No RRP as the agents are waiting for stock at the moment.

They also integrate with certain KS droppers - less clutter on the bars :)

Very good point! Kinda forgot about that.

I've used it like that before, but found the lever too close for my liking. I always have the KS lever mounted a good 2cm or so inboard from the inner edge of my grip. I find it easier to reach with my thumb that way.

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Jan 12, 2016, 7:48 AM

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Was trying to figure out how to phrase this still. No RRP as the agents are waiting for stock at the moment.

Very good point! Kinda forgot about that.

I've used it like that before, but found the lever too close for my liking. I always have the KS lever mounted a good 2cm or so inboard from the inner edge of my grip. I find it easier to reach with my thumb that way.

@Iwan, complete hijack but do you have any experience with the lindaret dropper mounts?

Nick

Jan 12, 2016, 7:49 AM

@Iwan, complete hijack but do you have any experience with the lindaret dropper mounts?

I can't speak for Iwan but Hairy does: https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/reviews/review-lindarets-remount-r3502

Hairy

Jan 12, 2016, 8:01 AM

@ Steven.....the Lindaret ReMount is a simple yet essential piece of kit when using a dropper post like the giants one.

Chat to Raydek, he did a parking lot test and wanted to buy it off me right there and then!

IKMagine

Jan 12, 2016, 8:16 AM

ODI Rogue also been my grip of choice for Trail / Enduro etc. Tried them on my DH rig and the larger diameter didn't work. Prefer the ODI Intense for DH.

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Jan 12, 2016, 8:28 AM

@ Steven.....the Lindaret ReMount is a simple yet essential piece of kit when using a dropper post like the giants one.

Chat to Raydek, he did a parking lot test and wanted to buy it off me right there and then!

Where did you get it from?

It is for use with a Giant dropper.

Edit: Nevermind, read he review.

Iwan Kemp

Jan 12, 2016, 8:48 AM

Prefer the ODI Intense for DH.

Seems to be the case for most riders. I have also been trying the ODI SDG Hansolo - sits somewhere between the Ruffian and Rogue.

ccs-62657-0-86813100-1423226721.jpg

Duane_Bosch

Jan 12, 2016, 9:06 AM

Grips are one of the 3 contact points you have on your bike so the importance of them cannot be overestimated IMO.

For me there's only 1 grip.

After my first Alps trip where I Kaaaaaaked with the claw I resolved to always have top line brakes and the best possible grips on my bikes.

I run Rogues on both of my bikes. They deff help when it comes to removing trail buzz and helping when it comes to preventing "the claw". I do think you lose a little feel which is maybe why people prefer thinner grips. I've run the ODI Yeti's which are also a little fatter than the standard ruffians.

I've tested a bike with those ESI grips. I really liked those too but the durability factor would prevent me putting them on a bike I own.

Pikey

Jan 12, 2016, 9:57 AM

Awesome grips only ones I use ... Good review . Less hand fatigue for sure.

PhilipV

Jan 12, 2016, 1:24 PM

I also rate these grips really highly. I like a thicker grip as I have big hands, and ride with thin gloves. These fit the bill perfectly.

raptor-22

Jan 12, 2016, 4:51 PM

None of these grips are particularly comfortable. A friend suggested I wrap then in tennis racquet handle grip. Never looked back

SeaBee

Jan 13, 2016, 5:36 AM

Using the SDG's from ODI as well - for some years now. Yeah, some wear and tear with scrapes and falls, etc, but they're as good as new! 

Don't think I'll ever see the need to experiment with grips again. 

CAAD4

Jan 13, 2016, 7:02 AM

None of these grips are particularly comfortable. A friend suggested I wrap then in tennis racquet handle grip. Never looked back

I was wondering what happened to you. Welcome to the Bike Hub Ivan Lendl...

MarcBurger

Feb 8, 2016, 12:21 PM

Anyone in JHB stocking these at the moment?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment