Tech

Review: Raw Revolution Food Bars

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 13 comments

The attention created by various diets, controversial or not, has seen a definite shift in attitudes to food types and eating habits. Natural, unprocessed foods are becoming more popular and Raw Revolution got my attention recently during a multistage MTB race. They are one of the nutrition companies trending towards a more natural nutrition option for athletes, so I was quite keen to try the product when it was offered.

ccs-62657-0-37464800-1430733359.jpg

What did I try?

I tried a bar of each of their flavours which included Chocolate Crave, Spirulina Dream, Heavenly Hazelnut Chocolate, Cherry Chocolate Crunch, Golden Cashew and Chocolate Coconut Bliss.

Just about all of the natural raw bars that I have tried recently were gritty, dry and less than tasty, so I was very surprised at the almost indulgent flavour of the chocolate flavoured bars and I found the texture moist and easy to swallow.

I decided to give the bars a go over a few long rides accompanied by only water and banana, so I dropped my normal electrolyte drink but followed my normal drinking and feeding routine which meant I started using the bars after two hours on the bike. Even without my normal drink in the bottles, I still felt great on the bike after four hours, the bars didn’t irritate my stomach at all and I didn’t feel hungry.

ccs-62657-0-76701800-1430732885.jpg
ccs-62657-0-89773300-1430732891.jpg

The Spirulina Dream left me with a definite buzzing which disappeared after 20 minutes.

What they say

RAW Revolution state that their ingredients are Organic, Gluten-free, Non-GMO, Kosher and Vegan, so if you are inclined to choose nutrition that fits any of these requirements this could well be the bar for you.

Note that they do contain nuts, so clearly not for anyone with a nut allergy.

What I say

These are probably the nicest tasting natural and raw bars I have come across and after six rides using the bars I was happy that they provided me with enough energy and no stomach discomfort. They are not cheap bars and depending on where you shop they retail between R30 –R40 per bar but are still cheaper than many of their competitors.

What I liked

The chocolate bars tasted great and were even a bit moreish.

What I didn’t like

Spirulina bar put me on a buzz.

You can buy Raw Revolution products online or check in at your local bike shop.

Ingredients (Chocolate Crave)

Organic Cashews, Organic Sunflower Seed Kernels, Organic Agave Nectar, Organic Dates, Organic Cocoa processed with Alkali, Organic Almonds, Organic Sprouted Flax Seed. CONTAINS TREE NUTS.

Nutritional information (Chocolate Crave)

Serving Size 1 bar 1.8oz (51 g) Amount Per Serving: Calories 230, Calories from fat 130, Total Fat 15g (23%DV), Saturated Fat 2.5g (12%DV), Trans Fat 0g (0%DV), Cholesterol 0mg (0%DV), Sodium 0mg (0%DV), Total Carbohydrates 22g (7%DV), Dietary Fiber 4g (16%DV), Sugars 12g, Protein 7g, Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 6%, Iani 5%, DV=% Daily Value.

You can view nutritional information for the other bar flavours on their website.

Comments

N0madADV

May 5, 2015, 4:54 AM

Nutrition information would be useful.

HappyMartin

May 5, 2015, 5:15 AM

R40 for a bar. Wow. That's amazing actually. Last year Allora was running a lunch time special. 300g steak with veg for just R9 more.

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

May 5, 2015, 5:49 AM

Lol, came here thinking this would be a handlebar review!!!

Need more coffee

HappyMartin

May 5, 2015, 6:14 AM

Lol, came here thinking this would be a handlebar review!!!

Need more coffee

So did I. I think that's why I got grumpy about the price. More coffe sounds like a plan though

Odinson

May 5, 2015, 7:50 AM

Those bars have got some serious hipster credentials. They should market them to the European cyclocross pros.

BenGraham

May 5, 2015, 8:58 AM

R40 a bar. Holy cannelloni. I'll stick to pvm bars. Who knows what's in them but at least I can be sure its not my future financial independence.

GLuvsMtb

May 5, 2015, 12:09 PM

R 8 for a PVM bar?! Are you nuts? A peanut-butter sandwich will cost about R2 to make, even if you put jam on. 

Seriously, I'd consider a R40 bar if it tastes better than most of the bars out there. 

Shebeen

May 5, 2015, 8:53 PM

Holeeeeey cow. I realise that wasn't a vegan comment.

The game has changed when you buy imported hippie bars from a crowd that is on instagram and pinterest.

I assume they are lekker like mule bars,but just cost a kakload

Sean Fraenkel

May 10, 2015, 2:56 PM

Hi Folks. Thanks for all your input regarding Raw Revolution Bars. 

I see quite a few concerns regarding costs: our bars to sell for roughly R32 each at most retail outlets or you can purchase them directly from our online store with no deliver costs anywhere in SA. Please visit http://rawrevolutionsa.co.za/shop/

As Raw Revolution bars are imported from New York, are 100% organic, non-gmo and only the highest quality ingredients are used, we are slightly more expensive than our highly processed, sugar filled competitors.Not only do we shun cheap, highly processed ingredients like soy protein isolate and corn (glucose) syrup, we add premium anti-oxidant-rich sprouted flax seeds to every bar.  Feel free to drop me a mail on sean@rawrevolutionsa.co.za if you have any questions.

Find out what top athletes are saying about our bars here: http://rawrevolutionsa.co.za/category/testimonials/

Sean Fraenkel

May 10, 2015, 3:06 PM

Nutrition information would be useful.

Please visit http://rawrevolutionsa.co.za/what-makes-us-so-spfor additional product info or drop me a mail on sean@rawrevolutionsa.co.za if you have any questions.

Sean Fraenkel

May 10, 2015, 3:07 PM

R40 for a bar. Wow. That's amazing actually. Last year Allora was running a lunch time special. 300g steak with veg for just R9 more.

Please see comment above regarding costing and additional product info. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a mail on sean@rawrevolutionsa.co.za

Sean Fraenkel

May 10, 2015, 3:10 PM

R 8 for a PVM bar?! Are you nuts? A peanut-butter sandwich will cost about R2 to make, even if you put jam on. 

Seriously, I'd consider a R40 bar if it tastes better than most of the bars out there. 

Bars retail for roughly R32 at most oulets or online. See what top athletes are saying: http://rawrevolutionsa.co.za/category/testimonials/

Capricorn

May 10, 2015, 4:27 PM

Right, so who bought this stuff and how does it taste?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment