Tech

Review: Saris Thelma 3 bike carrier

· By Matt · 38 comments

Whether just a short drive to your local trail or a weekend road trip, a bike rack is a likely essential in your cycling travels. The Saris Thelma-3 is a tow ball mounted bike carrier which, as the name suggests, holds up to three bikes.

Saris Thelma 3-bike review-15.jpg

Features

• Carries 3 bikes, up to 16kg each
  • Rack does not touch the bike frame making it safe for all frame materials
  • Unique wheel tray design holds MTB and road bikes safely and securely
  • Tilts down for fast access to rear of vehicle
  • Fits 26” to 29” MTB wheels.
  • Fits ISO 50mm tow balls
  • Tow ball clamp locks rack to vehicle
  • Lightboard and license plate holder included
  • Weight: 18kg
  • Made in Italy, TUV GS certified
  • Price: RRP R 6,995.00 (on special for R 5,595.00 at the time of publishing)

Saris Thelma 3-bike review-1.jpg

Assembly

Our Thelma arrived flat packed and did require some assembly to get up and running. Almost everything you need is inside the box with the exception of a shifting spanner required to secure the tow ball clamp to the rack’s frame.

The assembly is fairly straightforward and instructions easy to follow. The only snag we encountered was the Euro standard 13 pin plug fitted was not compatible with the 7 pin variety found on most South African vehicles. However, adapters are available and, if you’re feeling handy, rewiring to fit a 7 pin plug is a quick job.

Fitment to the vehicle

Saris Thelma 3-bike review-22.jpg
Saris Thelma 3-bike review-8.jpg
Saris Thelma 3-bike review-19.jpg

The 3-bike version of the rack is quite large, and although not overly heavy, it was somewhat awkward to attach to the vehicle on your own. Those with shorter reach may require a helper to lift and align the rack on the tow ball. Additionally, the added length of the 3-bike version might present some parking challenges, especially if you own an already lengthy vehicle.

The clamp, which secures the rack to the tow ball and base frame of the rack, feels quite solid and almost industrial. Both give confidence that the rack is fit to do the job. Lowering the lever grips the clamp onto the tow ball and a definitive click lets you know that it is snug. The clamp also features a key lock which prevents the lever from lifting, leaving the rack a little more secure on your vehicle.

The Thelma features a light board with the standard array of lights and an all important number plate mount to avoid you falling foul of any traffic regulations. The rack also sports a simple quick release mechanism which tilts the rack down providing access to the boot even with bikes attached. Although depending on the weight of those bikes the tilt can be tricky.

Saris Thelma 3-bike review-20.jpg
Saris Thelma 3-bike review-21.jpg
Saris Thelma 3-bike review-23.jpgThe wheel mounts fold flat allowing for easier storage of the Saris Thelma when not on the vehicle.

Attaching bikes

One of the key features of the Saris Thelma 3 is that it does not make contact with your bicycle frame. Many other racks we’ve tried use the frame as a key point to secure the bike which can often result in scuffs and scratches, especially when mud or dirt is involved.

The Thelma features large plastic wheel mounts for the front wheel and a much smaller U shaped wheel mount for the rear. On both mounts the wheel is secured using plastic adjuster straps. The mounts are adjustable to fit 26” or 29” wheels and in our tests 650b fitted quite comfortably in the 29” mode.

Mounting bikes to the rack is a breeze. Simply pop the front wheel in, then the rear, secure the straps and you’re good to go. With wider bars on the mountain bikes tested we did have some contact between the adjacent bikes (bar and saddle / seatpost) and did need to lower the seatpost.

Saris Thelma 3-bike review-3.jpg
Saris Thelma 3-bike review-4.jpg
Saris Thelma 3-bike review-12.jpg
Saris Thelma 3-bike review-13.jpg
Saris Thelma 3-bike review-17.jpg
Saris Thelma 3-bike review-16.jpg

On the road

Upon first inspection we were somewhat sceptical of how well the mounts would work, but out on the road we were impressed by the stability of the individual bikes. You do notice some bob due to the length of the 3 bike version, especially with heavier bikes mounted on the end. However, speed bumps and potholes aside, there was little movement of the bikes while driving on the open road. And when the road did get bumpy any movement was well clear of the back of the vehicle thanks to the good clearance from the boot.

Saris Thelma 3-bike review-11.jpg

Saris Thelma 3-bike review-10.jpg

Verdict

At a price well below competitor offerings, the Saris Thelma 3 is a solid, reliable option for transporting your beloved bikes. While the length of the rack might cause issues on already long vehicles, the added room and zero frame contact do well to minimise damage to the bikes or car during transport.

We are also testing the Saris Freedom 2-bike (a smaller tow bar carrier) and the Saris Bones 3 (a three bike boot rack). Keep an eye on The Hub for the full reviews.

The Saris Thelma 3 is available from Bicycle Power Trading either via their dealers in your area or direct on their website.

Comments

NukeproofPeanut

Apr 29, 2015, 11:05 AM

Available where? I can only find the price.

Matt

Apr 29, 2015, 11:12 AM

Thanks! I'll include that now.

From BicyclePower trading: http://www.bicyclepower.co.za/Products/SarisCycleRacks.aspx

BicyclePower

Apr 29, 2015, 11:22 AM

Please feel free to contact us on, 

http://www.bicyclepower.co.za/ContactUs.aspx 

DaviM

Apr 29, 2015, 12:20 PM

How does a road bike fit into those wide wheel mounts?

Skinnyone

Apr 29, 2015, 12:23 PM

How does a road bike fit into those wide wheel mounts?

Same way just goes in deeper...look closely, you'll see the "cup" is stepped on the inside to fit the narrower tyres.

Pieterlab1

Apr 29, 2015, 12:23 PM

Will there be 4-bike versions of this available at a later stage?

Looks like the best alternative to Thule, and it doesn't attach to the bike frames, which is a very important factor.

Eddy Gordo

Apr 29, 2015, 12:25 PM

I like the way it holds the wheels, that way you know the front wheel is not twisting on the rack

Smurfy

Apr 29, 2015, 12:44 PM

Pic I saw says 29er only?

Matt

Apr 29, 2015, 12:53 PM

Pic I saw says 29er only?

The little yellow lever let's you adjust the size to suit standard (26") or 29". When you pull back the lever you can tilt the top part of the wheel mount forwards making it smaller.

ccs-2-0-14007100-1430300660.jpg

BicyclePower

Apr 29, 2015, 2:01 PM

Will there be 4-bike versions of this available at a later stage?

Looks like the best alternative to Thule, and it doesn't attach to the bike frames, which is a very important factor.

At this point in time the Saris Thelma will only be available in a 3 bike.

WesleyR

Apr 30, 2015, 4:17 AM

What about storing the bike rack when not on the vehicle?  Does it fold flat because those wheel clamps look like they might stick out quiet far when rack is against a wall or on the floor?

BicyclePower

Apr 30, 2015, 5:21 AM

What about storing the bike rack when not on the vehicle?  Does it fold flat because those wheel clamps look like they might stick out quiet far when rack is against a wall or on the floor?

Great question, yes the front wheel holders will fold down flat and within the frame ensuring the bike rack can be kept out of the way when not in use. As each of the front wheel holders moves independently should you only have two bikes loaded you can raise the needed front wheel holders. 

cbdcaffie

Apr 30, 2015, 5:49 AM

I have been using a two bike Saris rack for two years and have nothing bad to say about it. It is a brilliant piece of kit, glad someone is brining them in again.

Matt

Apr 30, 2015, 7:21 AM

I've added an image showing the folding in action. 

ccs-2-0-23345100-1430378145.jpg

Cruz Addict

May 1, 2015, 4:46 AM

Looks awesome, I have been searching for a rack that allows propper space between the bikes due to all mountain frames being wider than xc. My biggest concern though is there doesnt seem to be any way to lock the bikes to the rack. That means a garage stop etc on a long trip requires someone to stay with the car to make sure the bikes are not stolen.

BicyclePower

May 2, 2015, 3:00 PM

Looks awesome, I have been searching for a rack that allows propper space between the bikes due to all mountain frames being wider than xc. My biggest concern though is there doesnt seem to be any way to lock the bikes to the rack. That means a garage stop etc on a long trip requires someone to stay with the car to make sure the bikes are not stolen.

We would be happy to provide a Saris locking cable to solve this problem.

http://www.saris.com/product/locking-cable 

They around R450 in SA. 

andrevangend

May 6, 2015, 9:35 AM

Hi does it fit onto a goose neck towbar?

BicyclePower

May 7, 2015, 6:20 PM

Hi does it fit onto a goose neck towbar?

Sorry for the late response, the Thelma 3 will work on any ISO 50mm towball, this is the standard towball in SA. So as long as the ball is the ISO 50mm ball the Saris rack will work perfectly well.

Usually ISO 50mm is printed on the top of the towball. 

Slowbee

May 19, 2015, 2:34 PM

have you guys got an updated website, the one above says error.

NixM

May 19, 2015, 3:51 PM

I have been using a Thelma 3 for about 5 years now, never had a problem - touch wood.

It takes 3 road bikes or 3 29er's easily. Lost a strap a fews ago and quick email to the supplier a new set was supplied. Had someone reverse into it and bend the frame again one email and new frame was supplied.

It also looks good. Often when i get back to the parking lot I can see that guys have been looking at it as the wheel cups have been pulled up or moved into the 26er position. Makes me smile.

BicyclePower

May 19, 2015, 4:04 PM

have you guys got an updated website, the one above says error.

Hi please try the below link:

http://www.bicyclepower.co.za/Products/SarisCycleRacks.aspx 

BicyclePower

May 19, 2015, 4:05 PM

I have been using a Thelma 3 for about 5 years now, never had a problem - touch wood.

It takes 3 road bikes or 3 29er's easily. Lost a strap a fews ago and quick email to the supplier a new set was supplied. Had someone reverse into it and bend the frame again one email and new frame was supplied.

It also looks good. Often when i get back to the parking lot I can see that guys have been looking at it as the wheel cups have been pulled up or moved into the 26er position. Makes me smile.

Thank you NixM we appreciate the kind words !! 

scubes

May 20, 2015, 7:57 PM

I have been using the Saris Bones 2 now for a while and it is easy to use and works well whether at speed on the freeway or down a steep dirt road loaded with two 29er mtb bikes and it fits them both very well too. 

Wicked Components

Aug 22, 2017, 1:47 PM

Hey, bought one second hand but it's missing 2 straps, anyone know where I can buy some locally?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment