Tech

Review: Scott Genius 740

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 28 comments

Scott’s Genius range of bikes have formed part of their line-up for more than a decade and has undergone numerous refinements since its introduction. In 2013, the Genius was launched in 27.5″ and 29” wheels sizes with the 27.5″ 700 series featuring 150mm of travel, while the 29″ 900 series have 130mm of travel. SCOTT Sports SA sent us a 150mm Genius 740 to test.

ccs-62657-0-10984500-1437322638.jpg

The Frame

While the 2013 update to the line up is well remembered for the death of the 26″ Genius and the introduction of the 27,5″ and 29″ “new” Genius, of greater importance were the tweaks the model range received. Gone was the familiar pull shock, replaced with a more conventional push shock layout. This opened up shock choices, kept it out of the muc trail and made setup a bit easier. Everything else one would expect from a high end trail frame is there. 142x12mm rear axle, beefy Press-Fit 30 bottom bracket, removable ISCG-05 mount or chain guard, a tapered headtube and both carbon and alloy models feature internal routing for a dropper post.

Not one to comment on graphics and color scheme in reviews unless it’s way off as it very subjective, I do have to say that Scott nailed it on the 740. Bright green accents and logos off sets the otherwise plain black.

ccs-62657-0-43474900-1437322619.jpg

A “chainblocker” plate protects the frame from chain suck by blocking it from falling off the inner ring and damaging the frame. The system is compatible with 3x and 2x drivetrains. The optional ISCG adaptor allows riders to run a chain device for single or 2x chain set and is removable when not in use.

The frame is hydroformed using 6061 Alloy that is custom butted and designed around the use of a link driven single pivot suspension design, with a forged link activating the rear shock. The ace up it’s sleeve is adjustable geometry by way of a shock mount chip in the linkage. This is done by removing the shock mount chip and flipping it in either “high” or “low” mounting position. Doing this will affect the bottom bracket height by 5.5mm and the head and seat tube angles by 0.5 degrees. It has a knock-on effect on other measurements as well – in actual fact, only the chainstay and seat tube lengths are unaffected.

ccs-62657-0-77115700-1437322650.jpg

Scott utilizes a progressive leverage curve and a relatively low main pivot which follows the current industry trend, and allows a more supple suspension at sag, but with some ramp up as the wheel moves towards bottom out. This helps give the Genius good small bump efficiency, but keeps it from bottoming out or diving through it’s travel when the going gets rough. The relatively low main pivot location was a clear decision by Scott to maximize pedaling efficiency.

The area in in front of the rear tire where the front derailleur mounts is a possible mud-clogger.

ccs-62657-0-17311500-1437323206.jpg

More attention to detail can be seen in the IDS-SL dropout system which works with 142x12mm, 135x12mm and 135x5mm QR rear axle standards as well as bolt torque specs printed on the bearing caps. Claimed weight for a medium alloy frame and shock is 2,75kg with Scott’s expertise in carbon dropping that to 2.3kg for the top of the range carbon model.

Twin Loc Lever System

https://vimeo.com/6849224

If it’s not enough that the frame comes with a trick or two up it’s sleeve, Scott takes it a step further with their patented TwinLoc system, which is controlled by the handlebar mounted lever. When the lever is pushed to switch the shock to Lock mode, the fork is simultaneously put into Climb mode. Switching to Traction mode limits the rear shock’s travel to 100mm and puts the front fork into Trail mode.

ccs-62657-0-48453400-1437322596.jpg
ccs-62657-0-68538900-1437322600.jpg

The reduction in travel in Traction mode is achieved by reducing the shock canister’s air volume, creating less sag, which in turn raises the bike’s ride height, and slightly steepens the head angle.

Pushing the lever to its second stop locks out the shock and fork entirely, turning the Genius into a rock solid pedaling machine.

Components

ccs-62657-0-09899300-1437322585.jpg

Fork: A Fox 32 Float Evolution CTD does duty up front. At a 150mm it is showing noticeable signs of flex when pushed. A Fox 34, Rockshox Pike or even a Revelation would be a welcome upgrade for those looking to ride the bike at it’s limits.

Shock: The 32 Float is mated to a Fox Float CTD. As I only rode the bike for one weekend, it was a bit tricky to get the suspension dialed to my preference. The shock did however perform as advertised and did not feel as linear as I have experienced it on other bikes. This is most likely down to the custom tune to match the Genius frame.

Drivetrain: The mix of Deore and XT parts are not really noticeable and, typical Shimano, just gets on with the task at hand.

Brakes: Stopping power comes courtesy of Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes. Although not fancy in any way they do get the job done. It really is nice to know that even the cheaper disc brakes out there can perform as expected when needed.

ccs-62657-0-21215300-1437322611.jpg

Wheelset: Shimano hubs laced to Syncros TR67 rims using DT Swiss Champion spokes, are fitted to the Genius 740. I have become used to wider rims and it takes some getting used to and a slight adjustment of riding style. It’s not a major issue and if you’re not riding wide rims you won’t even notice.

Tires: Schwalbe’s performance series tires are a popular OE choice. I would bump the Nobby Nic front and Rocket Ron rear up one level in the Schwalbe line-up and fit a Hans Dampf front and Nobby Nic rear. The new Nobby Nic is doing a great job covering most basis and when out riding your favorite trails you want tires with grip that can match the potential of the frame.

ccs-62657-0-89573100-1437322626.jpg
ccs-62657-0-97784700-1437322654.jpg

The finishing kit (handlebar, stem, seatpost and saddle) all comes from Syncros. Acquired by Scott in 2012 from Ritchey, Syncros is well-known for quality gear. Again, to match the potential of the frame, I would bump the 720mm handlebar to at least 750mm and drop the stem to 50 or 60mm. The long stem and narrow-ish handlebar felt a bit old school and the bike definitely felt more comfortable and capable when I switched those out. This is obviously a very personal choice.

The Syncros XM saddle was comfortable and hitting all the right notes for me.

ccs-62657-0-60209400-1437322590.jpg
ccs-62657-0-80084700-1437322622.jpg

A dropper seatpost was notable in it’s absence and although a QR release for the Syncros seatpost was welcome, I did miss a dropper post. I however understand the need to keep costs down and as the entry level bike in the line-up some cuts had to be made.

On the Trail

Billed as a do-it-all bike, the bike’s tagline one bike to rule it all, the Genius was designed to cover a lot of ground. If this will be your only bike you could easily race it in XC events in the “high” geometry setting and then drop it for social rides our some dirt-action on single track. Although not as slack as many other bikes in the 150mm category, the Scott counters that with sharper handling and climbing ease. I definitely had to to work less to keep the front wheel down when climbing technical sections than with a slacker bike which helped preserving some energy for when the trail turned south. I didn’t make much use of the complete suspension lockout setting, but can confirm that it well and truly locks it out. Traction mode was enough for me when needed.

Once I swapped out the handlebar and stem the Genius was in it’s element carving the single track on the Bottelary Hill trails. The shorter stem and wider bars counters the steepish head angle, leaving you with handling that is well-balanced for trail riding. On steeper terrain, I missed a slightly slacker head angle, but not to the extent that I felt I was missing out.

Scott’s trail bike tag is spot on as the Genius 740 felt best suited to tight, twisty, moderately technical trails and tackled these with ease.

ccs-62657-0-04775900-1437322615.jpg

Verdict

With it’s easier to get along with geometry, the Genius 700 range is a great bike for riders who want to get into bigger trails, but either do not want to buy a second bike in order to do it or who would still like to be able to do the odd race or event. For this type of rider, the geometry and suspension tune will suit their needs and the Genius 700 range will open up a new way of riding. For the rider looking for a proper big mountain or Enduro bike you’d need not look much further than the Genius LT.

Specification

• FrameGenius Alloy 6061 custom butted, Hydroformed tubes / tapered Headtube, BB92 / IDS SL dropout for 142 × 12mm, U-Mono Link / rear 180PM, BB height adj.
  • TravelFront 150mm; Rear 150 / CTD / Shock 200 × 57

ForkFOX 32 Float Evolution CTD Air, CTD remote damper with 3 modes, 15mm QR axle / tapered steerer, reb. Adj.ShockFOX Float CTD / 3 modes, Climb – Trail – Descend, reb. Adj.Remote systemSCOTT TwinLoc Remote Technology, 3 modes front and rearHeadsetSyncros / VP-A41AC1 / 1.5″ – 1 1/8″, semi integ. OD 50/61mm / ID 44/55mmRear derailleurShimano XT RD-M781 SGS, Shadow Type / 30 SpeedFront derailleurShimano Deore FD-M610-E / DMShiftersShimano Deore SL-M610-I; Rapidfire Plus / 2 way release; IspecsBrake leversShimano BL-M615 DiscBrakesShimano BR-M615 Disc; 180/F and 180/Rmm SM-RT54 CL RotorCranksetShimano FC-M622; 2-piece Design; 40Ax30Ax22TBB-setShimano SM-BB71-41A / shell 41x92mmHandlebarSyncros FL2.0 Tbar; Alloy 6061 D.B. / T shape Flat / 9° / 720mmStemSyncros TR2.0; 6061 / 4D forged / oversize 31.8mm; 1 1/8″ / 6° angleSeatpostSyncros FL2.5 / 31.6mmSeatSyncros XM 2.0 / CROM railsFront hubShimano HB-M618 / 15mmRear hubShimano FH-M618 Disc CL; 142 × 12mm / DT RWS axleChainKMC X10CassetteShimano CS-HG50-10, 11-36 TTiresSchwalbe; Front: Nobby Nic / 2.25; Rear: Rocket Ron / 2.25, Performance SeriesSpokesDT Swiss Champion Black 1.8mmRimsSyncros TR67 / Eyelets / 32HApprox. Weight KG12.85 kgRecommended retail priceR 34 500.00

Geometry

ccs-62657-0-00740200-1437330891.jpg

From the Manufacturer:

The SCOTT Genius 740 boasts a super light 6061 custom butted alloy frame. The 740 comes fully equipped with a custom FOX Float CTD shock, a FOX 32 Float fork and our Patented TwinLoc technology, allowing for three travel settings to always optimize your ride. This is the ultimate trail bike, but at a fraction of the cost.

Comments

NicoBoshoff

Jul 20, 2015, 5:57 AM

Few questions:

1. I assume you rode it in the "Low" setting for the review? Did you still feel at 67.9' that is was too steep? 

2. Will swopping out forks compromise the twinlock system or could you still use it on any other RL fork?  Otherwise, is it removable?

NicoBoshoff

Jul 20, 2015, 5:58 AM

Also, what price range are we talking here? 

NicoBoshoff

Jul 20, 2015, 6:10 AM

Just had a look at their website an I must say I am baffeld how even the top-spec Genius is still stocked with a 2x10 drivetrain (XTR, but still, what is this 2013?) and a 32mm Fox (Kashima who cares).

It's only the Tuned Genius that runs 1x11 but still a string of spaghetti up front.

If you're going to charge R60k and up for a bike then you need to run 1x11 and a Pike/Fox 34.  Otherwise you're basically telling your customer to spend that cash plus still upgrade it.

I can't help feel that this is because of the TwinLock system.

raptor-22

Jul 20, 2015, 7:00 AM

2x10 is still viewed by some oems to be the drivetrain of choice for people who want a versatile bike. The wider gearing still gives most riders more get up and go options

Also as the review notes, this bike is pegged into a category where Joe soap just wants a bike that can do a lot of everything and not be pegged into one category of riding. The original 2005. Genius nailed this category and it appears this bike is a worthy decendant.

There are plenty of enduro specific bikes out there. This genius is not such a bike

Iwan Kemp

Jul 20, 2015, 7:01 AM

Hi Nico

1. "Too steep" is relative and a question best answered around a braai or out on the trail. Not because I'm trying to avoid the answer, but it's a big question that I feel should not get a flat, yes or no answer.

On the trails I rode I never felt it was too steep although there were some sections on one trail I missed a slightly slacker HA.

2. It can work with any fork that can take a remote lever

3. RRP of R34,500

BenGraham

Jul 20, 2015, 9:34 AM

That cockpit is a madhouse. Have they never heard of less is more. Imagine running all that plus a dropper. OMG!

nonky

Jul 20, 2015, 9:47 AM

2x10 is still viewed by some oems to be the drivetrain of choice for people who want a versatile bike. The wider gearing still gives most riders more get up and go options Also as the review notes, this bike is pegged into a category where Joe soap just wants a bike that can do a lot of everything and not be pegged into one category of riding. The original 2005. Genius nailed this category and it appears this bike is a worthy decendant. There are plenty of enduro specific bikes out there. This genius is not such a bike

2016 Spez Stumpjumper and 2016 Spez Camber are 1x11 SRAM (GX and higher), apart from 1 bike at the bottom of each range that's 2x10.

raptor-22

Jul 20, 2015, 9:47 AM

Unfortunately that's what happens when the marketers try and make a jack of all trades

raptor-22

Jul 20, 2015, 9:56 AM

2016 Spez Stumpjumper and 2016 Spez Camber are 1x11 SRAM (GX and higher), apart from 1 bike at the bottom of each range that's 2x10.

Other than advertise for specialized what is the point you're trying to make?

Scott obviously is marketing the genius differently to specialized which is stating the obvious because they're different companies with different ideas on providing solutions for their respective customers.

If the scott doesn't tick the boxes on your buying sheet then move onto something that does. The genius is pitched to people looking for one bike they can ride xc, marathon or enduro on.

So it has to be as light as possible, provide gearing range and be easy to set up for different uses.

I think it ticks all those boxes nicely

nonky

Jul 20, 2015, 10:13 AM

Other than advertise for specialized what is the point you're trying to make?

Scott obviously is marketing the genius differently to specialized which is stating the obvious because they're different companies with different ideas on providing solutions for their respective customers.

If the scott doesn't tick the boxes on your buying sheet then move onto something that does. The genius is pitched to people looking for one bike they can ride xc, marathon or enduro on.

So it has to be as light as possible, provide gearing range and be easy to set up for different uses.

I think it ticks all those boxes nicely

chill, dude.  My point was that there are other approaches out there due to cheap 1x11 becoming available.  Which approach is correct - who knows?

My statement goes to the heart of SRAM's assertion (if I understand it correctly) that its 1x11 provides as wide a range as 2x10's.

No advertising for Spaz, merely an illustration that not all OEM's regard 2x10 as the way forward, esp not with cheap 1x11 (sram GX) available.

The Camber is regarded as spez's all-in-one bike and it's almost exclusively 1x11, which surprised me.

I am not entirely convinced by spez's choice but 1x11 seems to make a lot of sense IF there's enough gearing to get up AND down hills.

PS: for the record, I ride 2x10 myself - thus my surprise at the new spez 1x11

raptor-22

Jul 20, 2015, 10:42 AM

I didn't say the manufacturers regard 2x10 as a better way forward.

I said "2x10 is still viewed by some oems to be the drivetrain of choice for people who want a versatile bike".

That means this is information they have based on feedback from the market. Not every OEM feels the need to push the market toward 1x11. Some will move as the market moves, others have moved to 1X systems because it provides a technical solution to packaging the rear wheel more tightly.

Perhaps gearing range is not an optimal choice of words. Gearings steps is maybe better but 2x10 system do tend to have a wider range. A 1x system can have equal range but its at the expense of the number of steps in the middle. Not everybody likes the wide steps in SRAM's 1x11, hence Shimano are cool with rhythm step.

I find Scott to be an OEM that specs their bikes intelligently for the intended purpose. Camber may be a do it all but its 110mm 29 isn't It? the 29er version of the Genius is 130mm so not exactly apples with apples comparison

nonky

Jul 20, 2015, 10:59 AM

I didn't say the manufacturers regard 2x10 as a better way forward.

I said "2x10 is still viewed by some oems to be the drivetrain of choice for people who want a versatile bike".

That means this is information they have based on feedback from the market. Not every OEM feels the need to push the market toward 1x11. Some will move as the market moves, others have moved to 1X systems because it provides a technical solution to packaging the rear wheel more tightly.

Perhaps gearing range is not an optimal choice of words. Gearings steps is maybe better but 2x10 system do tend to have a wider range. A 1x system can have equal range but its at the expense of the number of steps in the middle. Not everybody likes the wide steps in SRAM's 1x11, hence Shimano are cool with rhythm step.

I find Scott to be an OEM that specs their bikes intelligently for the intended purpose. Camber may be a do it all but its 110mm 29 isn't It? the 29er version of the Genius is 130mm so not exactly apples with apples comparison

You make valid points around gearing that put my (similar) views in clearer words / terminology.

The new camber is 120mm (29er) and 130mm (27.5), both versions with slackened head tube angles, so I think they're aimed at the same market as the Scoot (even if not 100% identical).  The reason I read this article is because I am in the market for this kind of do-it-all bike (also looked at the Pivot mach 429 but is $$$).

My personal feeling is that 1x11 could be a bridge too far for weekend hackers like me.  The weight and complexity savings could possibly not compensate for the loss of gearing options and thus my concern.

I am also acutely aware that manufacturers try to create something NEW! IMPROVED! STUFF! every year to sell bikes to us.

BTW, spez removed its much-criticized "brain" from the stumpy (to approval from everyone) and then went and installed it on the Camber. Go figure...I don't get it.

NicoBoshoff

Jul 20, 2015, 11:18 AM

It seems all a bit moot though.  The 2016 range Genius seems to run beefier Fox forks and 1x11 deeper into the range.  Guess the market has forced their hand.

Lance Cruz

Jul 20, 2015, 11:24 AM

Is the bottom bracket stick a standard feature or upgrade?

raptor-22

Jul 20, 2015, 11:26 AM

It seems all a bit moot though.  The 2016 range Genius seems to run beefier Fox forks and 1x11 deeper into the range.  Guess the market has forced their hand.

Yes Nico, Product Engineering is a moving target

popcorn_skollie

Jul 20, 2015, 12:02 PM

Someone in one of the bike chat groups asked advice on a new trail bike. He was looking to move on from his 2012 spez enduro. He didn't have a massive budget and it would seem then that his decision to move was based more on wheel size peer pressure and salesman sweet talking than anything else. He didn't really do long distances and enjoyed more than anything else smashing trails on the way down. We looked at the trance as an alternative and I said something to him I'll say again now.

Off the floor. This bike, is not a trail smasher. Not by modern standards anyways.

if you enjoy doing that which your 26er enduro was meant to do. Then this is not an upgrade in my opinion. Its just something different.

Having said that I don't feel like it aspires to be a trail bomber on a budget either. 

The decision to go twinlock with a noodly fork says that. If you want a pike on this bike you probably the same guy who couldn't give two ****s about twinlock. 

To me, It tends to lean itself to longer rides which, should you have an itch, has the nails to scratch it. 

This is what sets it apart from most modern trail bikes.

Off the cuff I can think of a few friends whom may be suited to buy this bike.

People who have loved their short travel bikes and long rides for years and years and have recently shown an interest into the enduro bandwagon. Its seems like a good choice rather than diving into the deepend of a proper 150mm trail bomber.

JXV

Jul 20, 2015, 3:39 PM

Just had a look at their website an I must say I am baffeld how even the top-spec Genius is still stocked with a 2x10 drivetrain (XTR, but still, what is this 2013?) and a 32mm Fox (Kashima who cares).

It's only the Tuned Genius that runs 1x11 but still a string of spaghetti up front.

If you're going to charge R60k and up for a bike then you need to run 1x11 and a Pike/Fox 34. Otherwise you're basically telling your customer to spend that cash plus still upgrade it.

I can't help feel that this is because of the TwinLock system.

Agree about the 32mm forks....especially with long travel...but 1x10/1x11 is not for everyone.

Been riding XT converted to 1x10 with a 42t expander and 34t NW for about 8 months now:

It works well and I like it on prepared trails. It is light, simple and quiet.

Don't like it on unprepared trail, high altitudes and longer rides with lemgths of road in them because :

Spin out at speed, bigger gaps from 13t to 16t to 19t, less granny when its real steep.

Will be going back to 2x10 shortly for a re-think.

Bear in mind the Hub concentrates all the serious enthusiasts who are most likely fitter and stronger on average than the mass of average cyclists who hold the buying power.....so our collective enthusiasm for 1x drivetrains may not actually be the best solution for the bulk of cyclists.

Headshot

Jul 20, 2015, 4:07 PM

R37k gets an ali framed Spaz Enduro 650 with a Pike and 1 x11. Its a no brainer in my book...

Checked specs again -  its a 1x10 drive train. Still a good deal.

raptor-22

Jul 20, 2015, 4:10 PM

again that's a different bike with a more focussed design and market intent

Fisan

Jul 20, 2015, 4:23 PM

I think it was a Pinkbike or similar site who reviewed the Genius - and hey had both setups, but the journalist commented on how the reviewers preferred the 2x10 setups for the hilly rides (think Alps or somewhere). Just my 2c.

I'll try my Google Skillz to find the article.

JXV

Jul 20, 2015, 5:09 PM

I think it was a Pinkbike or similar site who reviewed the Genius - and hey had both setups, but the journalist commented on how the reviewers preferred the 2x10 setups for the hilly rides (think Alps or somewhere). Just my 2c.

I'll try my Google Skillz to find the article.

SRAM 1x with 10-42 cassette = 420% range

Shimano 1x with 11-42 = 382%

2x10 XT with 11-36 cassette and 38-24 up front = 518%. It gives 2 lower granny ratios and at least 1 higher top end ratio

The new M8000 XT 2x11 has a 11-40 cassette but only 10t difference on the chainrings as standard. This offers 503% but with more gears so the steps are smaller. I'm sure a 12t or even 14t combo could be made to work with the long cage RD...this would take the range up to 570% getting close to 3x systems.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jul 20, 2015, 5:24 PM

R37k gets an ali framed Spaz Enduro 650 with a Pike and 1 x11. Its a no brainer in my book...

Yeah. Good deal. 35k is the reign 2, and 38 is the trance advanced... Okay, no pike, but still carbonzzzz

raptor-22

Jul 20, 2015, 6:05 PM

SRAM 1x with 10-42 cassette = 420% range

Shimano 1x with 11-42 = 382%

2x10 XT with 11-36 cassette and 38-24 up front = 518%. It gives 2 lower granny ratios and at least 1 higher top end ratio

The new M8000 XT 2x110 has a 11-40 or 11-42 cassette but only 10t difference on the chainrings as standard. This offers 503% but with more gears so the steps are smaller. I'm sure a 12t or even 14t combo could be made to work with the long cage RD...this would take the range up to 570% getting close to 3x systems.

fixey oopsy

JXV

Jul 20, 2015, 6:16 PM

fixey oopsy

Done. Tks [emoji106]

Add a comment

You must log in to comment