Tech

Review: Smoove Chain Lubricant

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 112 comments

I was recently given a bottle of Smoove chain lube to try out while I was training for the Cape Epic, this is a locally made product by Spoke Works in Pretoria. I am told that the guys at Spoke Works have been working on this for a few years to get the product refined and working to their satisfaction.

Do you even lube?

While it makes sense to most of us that we need to lube up, it is probably one of the least understood parts of the regular maintenance that we need to do for our bikes and many cyclists randomly slap on loads of lube because, come on, more has to be better. Or maybe not so much.

So over and above the lube you use, application of the lubricant is almost as important as the lubricant itself. The basics you should be looking for in a lubricant is one that enhances the intricate workings of the chain but reduces the amount of dirt that is held in the lubed chain. Additionally, the lubricant should not act as a solvent to any lubrication that might be inherent from the production process.

ccs-41808-0-53889300-1398156263.jpg

Smoove sailing

The Smoove packaging is attractive – the size of the bottle is convenient for application and 125ml will cost around R120. I applied the lube as directed onto a used (approx 1600km old) 10spd XT clean dry chain and left over night, application was easy and the consistency of the lube was just thick enough that it didn’t drip from the chain.

I purposely chose a very sandy route that has a few water crossings to ride the following day, the shifting throughout the ride was seamless, there was no sound from the chain and cluster even when purposely cross-chaining as much as possible. The chain was covered in a light layer of sand post ride but wiped off easily.

The chain was hosed down and I didn’t apply more lube, it was left for 2 days, I rode the same route again and was pleased with the performance. I left the shifting on short steep ascents a little late to see how the chain handled under stress, there was no chain noise and shifting was swift and crisp.

I took a closer look after the ride, removed the chain and tried each link and all of them moved freely. I have since replaced the chain and have been using Smoove as instructed with consistent results.

The bottle says:

Smoove- Universal Chain Lube

Is a long lasting lubricant formulated to withstand even the most demanding conditions. Whether in wet or dry conditions, SMOOVE is extremely durable and one application last a whole ride, effectively protecting your mechanical drive train components from wear and tear. SMOOVE also reduces friction, enabling you to unlock optimal performances. SMOOVE is self-cleansing, 100% biodegradable and solvent free.

I say:

A great product that is value for money and has worked for me on my MTB and I’m sure will work just as well on a road bike and, will probably last an incredibly long time on a road chain. It is labeled as a universal lubricant and as such should handle most conditions and the biodegradable tag is a big thumbs up.

Comments

rouxtjie

Apr 22, 2014, 8:51 AM

Was very skeptical but have to agree....love this stuff.

Wez-O

Apr 22, 2014, 9:00 AM

Good to hear, always nice buying local.

rouxtjie

Apr 22, 2014, 9:05 AM

Good to hear, always nice buying local.

Yea, I was very skeptical because it is supposed to last at least 100km of mtb / dirt and dust. And trues nelly, it does just that...everytime I apply.

Also, and this is a biggie....its doesnt cake your jockey wheels or cassette like other wax lubricants.

nickc

Apr 22, 2014, 9:11 AM

Yea, I was very skeptical because it is supposed to last at least 100km of mtb / dirt and dust. And trues nelly, it does just that...everytime I apply.

Also, and this is a biggie....its doesnt cake your jockey wheels or cassette like other wax lubricants.

Did you have any problem with dust sticking to it?

rouxtjie

Apr 22, 2014, 9:14 AM

Did you have any problem with dust sticking to it?

Nope, but then again I apply the night before a ride and its seems to go into the chain...you?

Velouria

Apr 22, 2014, 9:14 AM

I rode with this on my chain for the first 80kms of the 36One. My bike was uncannily quiet, so much so that I was able to hear other things making a noise (headset, BB etc.). My joy ended when the lube guy at checkpoint 1 got hold of my bike - 10kms later my drive train was making a racket.

Definitely going to give this a go, even if I have to lube the chain the night before (I'm very much a last minute chain luber).

rouxtjie

Apr 22, 2014, 9:15 AM

I rode with this on my chain for the first 80kms of the 36One. My bike was uncannily quiet, so much so that I was able to hear other things making a noise (headset, BB etc.). My joy ended when the lube guy at checkpoint 1 got hold of my bike - 10kms later my drive train was making a racket.

Definitely going to give this a go, even if I have to lube the chain the night before (I'm very much a last minute chain luber).

I think this is key....but if you do apply right, its really great stuff.

Royco

Apr 22, 2014, 9:16 AM

Where is it available to buy. Been looking for it in the shopd

Robodog

Apr 22, 2014, 9:18 AM

Have heard about this from someone. Where can you get it?

rouxtjie

Apr 22, 2014, 9:18 AM

Most pta lbs stock it...havent seen in jozi, maybe thelab

backtrail

Apr 22, 2014, 9:19 AM

When i first saw it, i thought "oh great, repackaged squirt". Then i had a chat with Ruaan, the owner/producer of it. He gave a long explanation on how he developed it and over a few years, he finally had a product he was happy with. I was still skeptical till i tested it out. Great in dry conditions, it applies very nicely and for a dry lube it works surprisingly well in muddy conditions .I used it at the Tygervalley MTB 70KM which was really muddy and it worked well, even after being submerged completely in the first 15km at the river crossing. Have used it on the roadbike too with great results. It must be applied the night before for best results, i tried 5 minutes before a ride and didnt work too well.Great local product and would recommend it as well.

mtbgirlz

Apr 22, 2014, 9:21 AM

Dunkeld Cycles stocks it

Eldron

Apr 22, 2014, 9:22 AM

Nope, but then again I apply the night before a ride and its seems to go into the chain...you?

I've found that if you apply'n'ride it clogs up RD wheels.

If you apply it properly (the night before to let it dry) it doesn't gather much crud.

Great product!

rouxtjie

Apr 22, 2014, 9:23 AM

I've found that if you apply'n'ride it clogs up RD wheels.

If you apply it properly (the night before to let it dry) it doesn't gather much crud.

Great product!

Good to know..shot D :thumbup:

Robodog

Apr 22, 2014, 9:25 AM

Dunkeld Cycles stocks it

Pin-it

Apr 22, 2014, 9:28 AM

Have heard about this from someone. Where can you get it?

Saw some at Morningside Cycles

nickc

Apr 22, 2014, 10:03 AM

Have not tried it yet, that why I was wondering if it was an issue. I like the look of it.

Katvis007

Apr 22, 2014, 12:20 PM

EPIC in Centurion has stock as well.

mataz

Apr 22, 2014, 12:30 PM

Suppose I should ask the guys who make it, but does anyone know if there are plans to get some down to the shops in Cape Town?

Ysterman

Apr 22, 2014, 12:32 PM

Saw some at Morningside Cycles

Jip, got mine there. So far seems to work great

cadenceblur

Apr 22, 2014, 12:42 PM

Suppose I should ask the guys who make it, but does anyone know if there are plans to get some down to the shops in Cape Town?

keen to hear as well.
Stretch

Apr 22, 2014, 12:45 PM

so I am going to add the argument of wax vs oil based lubricants..I have always been an advocate for oil based lubricants and steer well clear of wax based lubricants as they serve to disperse dirt and mud as opposed to actually lubricating. oils of course lubricate but the downside is they tend to carry grit into the chain more easily than wax based lubricants (although they still do too) so you have to clean the chain regularly

What I have learnt over the years is that oils lubricate better IF you clean your chain regularly..which I do..I have never had a broken chain

Skylark

Apr 22, 2014, 12:56 PM

Sounds good, how much is it?

Hopefully under the typical R750 or more per liter for bicycle chain lube

Thug

Apr 22, 2014, 12:58 PM

Mikes Bikes also stocks.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment