Tech

Review: Titan Racing Cypher RS Carbon Ultimate

Words by Matt Eagar. Images by Iwan Kemp

· By Bike Hub Features · 163 comments

Over nearly two decades in our market, Titan Racing has earned a reputation as a brand that delivers a lot of bike for your money. The Cypher dual suspension mountain bike is no exception and delivers value across the range that is tough to beat.

image.jpeg

The Cypher platform is available in two variants: 1) Cypher RS with 100mm front and rear travel and 2) Cypher with 120mm front and rear travel. Either option is available as a full carbon or aluminium frame. We tested the race-ready, range topping Cypher RS Carbon Ultimate.

The full carbon frame has all you’d want and expect: internal cable routing for a clean look, a threaded bottom bracket, a flip-chip for the geometry tinkerers and, yes, it has room for two bottles within the front triangle on all sizes except small.

image.jpegTwo bottles, full throttle! (Unless you’re petite)

Both Cypher variants share the same frame but make use of shocks with different stroke lengths to achieve the 120mm travel vs. 100mm travel. In designing the Cypher, the team at Titan opted for the well proven horst-link suspension layout.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

High-end componentry abounds: including XX1 Eagle AXS and, a DT Swiss XRC 1501 carbon wheelset

The Cypher RS Carbon Ultimate is drizzled in all high-end componentry, starting with SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS wireless shifting, top-spec Fox Factory suspension and the “bullet proof” DT Swiss XRC 1501 carbon wheelset.

On the bike

Let’s get this out the way first up: absent any podium ambitions, I don’t regard myself as the intended buyer of this racier Cypher sibling. Having become perhaps too dependent on dropper posts, navigating a rigid seatpost and a little less travel upfront (100mm vs. 120mm) was a somewhat daunting prospect.

After a few awkward encounters with the pointy end of the saddle, my brain and body remembered that we all once rode (and mostly survived) sans dropper post. And once those jitters settled and biases faded, the bike was a whole lot of fast and fun on my local Tokai trails. For my middle of the curve trail appetite, the 100mm rear travel on the Cypher RS went surprisingly far. In fact, I’d say I’d go so far as to say it’s probably enough for my typical riding and the majority of riders in South Africa.

The bike handled itself well on descents, thriving on smoother flowing trails where it urges you to push harder and throw the bike about just a little. On the mildly technical trails you might encounter in a stage race or marathon event it felt solid and composed. However, even with the seat post manually dropped, on steeper technical terrain I did feel the limits of the skinny front end in terms of rubber, travel, and that hint of flex in the fork. While the non-RS version exists with 120mm front and rear out the box, I can’t help but imagine this RS with a slightly burlier 120mm fork and a dropper post being the magic mix for any stage race middle-marker like myself who enjoys a trail or two most weekends.

As you might expect, the bike climbs well. At 11.25kg on our scales, it’s not the lightest in this class but it feels sufficiently light on the trail. The reasonably steep seat tube angle makes for a comfortable and efficient climbing position. Add in the dual position remote lockout and the ease of Eagle AXS it’s all very easy when it comes to controls. Even in open mode the bike feels smooth and efficient on climbs without being too active. And, when you need it, full lockout is just a click away.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpegDouble remote lockout beefs up an almost-pristine cockpit.

Dual remote lockout may not be to everyone’s taste in terms of form or function. I’m not a fan of the extra clutter it adds to what would be a pristine part-wireless cockpit, but I have to admit that it’s convenient when you’re in a pinch.

Overall the Cypher RS felt great. It’s fast, nippy and fun on tight single-tracks while surprisingly tolerant and stable in the more techy stuff. Out of the box the setup is just about perfect for many of the typical marathon stage races in South Africa. The beauty of the Cypher frame is that it’s a bit of a Swiss army knife. Whether you’re buying the Cypher or the Cypher RS, you’ve got some tune-ability in the flip chip and the option of running 120mm or 100mm with a few tweaks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpegThere is a flip chip for the tinkerers, making the Cypher RS a versatile choice for South African marathon racers

While the SRAM vs. Shimano and Fox vs. Rockshox troops might nitpick some choices, the component spec of Cypher RS Carbon Ultimate really does not put a foot wrong for a race-oriented 100mm mountain bike. Couple all that with a five year multi-user warranty and an unbelievably good price tag, I’m left asking why anyone would consider a “big global brand” spending at least 40% more in the process?

image.jpeg

Full Specifications

• Frame: Cypher Carbon Frameset Flip Chip / Internal Cable Routing / Boost 148mm With Thru Axle / BSA 73mm
  • Fork: Fox Factory 32 Float SC 100mm with 2 position remote
  • Shock: Fox Factory Float, 2 position REMOTE / SV EVOL / 190 x 37.5mm / 0.2SPACER / DCF / DRM / CMF
  • Wheels: DT Swiss Carbon XRC 1501 Spline
  • Tyres: Vittoria Barzo 29″ X 2.25, XC-Race 120tpi Nylon / 4c Graphene 2.0 Compound / Tan Sidewall
  • Brakes: SRAM Level Ultimate with 180mm rotors
  • Rear derailleur: SRAM XX1 EAGLE AXS
  • Shifter: SRAM XX1 EAGLE AXS
  • Crankset: SRAM Carbon Crankarm, SRAM XX1 EAGLE 32T (S – 170mm CRANKARM / M+L+XL – 175mm)
  • Bottom bracket: SRAM XX1 DUB BSA 73mm
  • Chain: SRAM XX1 Eagle Copper
  • Handlebar: TR Pro Carbon Flat 760mm
  • Stem: TR Pro Alloy Stem (S = 60mm / M/L = 80mm / Xl = 100mm)
  • Saddle: Prologo Dimension
  • Seatpost: TR Pro Carbon Seat Post 31.6mm
  • Weight: 11.25kg with sealant & cages, no pedals.

RRP: R130,000

Comments

TheoG

Jan 18, 2023, 7:49 AM

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

Over nearly two decades in our market, Titan Racing has earned a reputation as a brand that delivers a lot of bike for your money. The Cypher dual suspension mountain bike is no exception and delivers value across the range that is tough to beat.

image.jpeg

View full article

The only slight negative for me on this bike is the frame weight.  If that can be sorted in future it can for sure compete with the best brands.

MaMc

Jan 18, 2023, 10:09 AM

How heavy is the frame if it still weighs over 11kg with all those high end parts and no dropper!? 

Headshot

Jan 18, 2023, 10:46 AM

Many marathon pros run droppers so its a mystery why the bike doesn't come equipped with one unless its just to differentiate it from the 12Omm version?. 

El Duderino

Jan 18, 2023, 10:47 AM

2 hours ago, TheoG said:

The only slight negative for me on this bike is the frame weight.  If that can be sorted in future it can for sure compete with the best brands.

The 2023 S-Works Epic is one of the lightest full suspension XC bikes you can get. It weighs just over 10kgs, and costs R240 000. The Titan costs R130 000. I know which one I'd buy. 1kg is not worth R110 000 to me. I don't think the Titan is competing with the best brands. I think it's for budget conscious buyers who want good value in a decent package. 

TheoG

Jan 18, 2023, 11:12 AM

22 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

The 2023 S-Works Epic is one of the lightest full suspension XC bikes you can get. It weighs just over 10kgs, and costs R240 000. The Titan costs R130 000. I know which one I'd buy. 1kg is not worth R110 000 to me. I don't think the Titan is competing with the best brands. I think it's for budget conscious buyers who want good value in a decent package. 

The Titan is good enough to compete if they optimize the weight in future.  Agree, I will also not pay R110k for 1 kg, BUT there are other options, S-Works is not the be all and end all of low weight bikes. 

DieselnDust

Jan 18, 2023, 11:15 AM

26 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

Well said, and also those s-works seldom end up below 10.8kg anyway with usable tyres. The weight difference isn’t as big as the spec sheet would have you believe 

El Duderino

Jan 18, 2023, 11:17 AM

Just now, TheoG said:

The Titan is good enough to compete if they optimize the weight in future.  Agree, I will also not pay R110k for 1 kg, BUT there are other options, S-Works is not the be all and end all of low weight bikes. 

Fair comment. S-Works is just one example. Be interested to see how much a similar-specced Cannondale or Scott costs, and what the weight difference is. I've never owned a top end XC bike, so not sure what's considered light. My bike weighs 12.4kgs without pedals and I thought that it was pretty light. 😁

Headshot

Jan 18, 2023, 11:23 AM

On extended marathon events like the Epic the bikes are generally at the heavier end of the spectrum to make them more durable eg tyres and droppers to aid descending. No Epic rider, pro or not hasn't finished or not won because his or her bike weighed too much. 

DieselnDust

Jan 18, 2023, 11:24 AM

3 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

Fair comment. S-Works is just one example. Be interested to see how much a similar-specced Cannondale or Scott costs, and what the weight difference is. I've never owned a top end XC bike, so not sure what's considered light. My bike weighs 12.4kgs without pedals and I thought that it was pretty light. 😁

When I bought my bike it weighed 10.4 with pedals and cages. Tyres felt amazing but they wore out quickly. Like for like replacement introduced an additional 250gr of weight!!!

then I replaced the pivot bearings…. Another 40gr heavier….

added a pm and the added 150gr. And suddenly it was a sliver under 11!!

dropper was supposed to add 300gr instead it added 500grish….

OEM spec parts and retail parts don’t seem to have the same weight ….

TheoG

Jan 18, 2023, 11:28 AM

4 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

I built and chose my own components, my bike is around 11kg all up and I spend less then R60k in total.  Granted, my frame is a 2013 model and not according to modern geometry but still very light weight for its age .... 😀.

All I'm saying is no need to spend 2 arms and 2 legs (~R240k) to have a lightweight capable bike.

Headshot

Jan 18, 2023, 11:44 AM

Just for comparison, my aluminium Enduro with 2.6/2.5 trail tyres, foam inserts, dropper and aluminium rims weighs in at around 16kg.  

TheoG

Jan 18, 2023, 11:49 AM

Just now, Headshot said:

Just for comparison, my aluminium Enduro with 2.6/2.5 trail tyres, foam inserts, dropper and aluminium rims weighs in at around 16kg.  

Thats a good weight for a proper enduro bike, the ruff stuff is not for me so enjoy 🤪

AllAboutRides

Jan 18, 2023, 11:58 AM

Jeeezzzz I really hope that all of you are pro’s, didn’t know weight of a bike will make you a better rider, ride more and loose some weight, much better!

I think this is great value for money and if I’m correct Bike Addict sold them for R109 000 at one stage, so even better!

S-works / Specialized over rated, R240 000 for a bike is ridiculous, but still people buy them / finance them because of the brand.

Give Titan Racing the credit for developing well priced / speced bikes and I’m 200% sure there is more to come

TheoG

Jan 18, 2023, 12:01 PM

Just now, AllAboutRides said:

Jeeezzzz I really hope that all of you are pro’s, didn’t know weight of a bike will make you a better rider, ride more and loose some weight, much better!

I think this is great value for money and if I’m correct Bike Addict sold them for R109 000 at one stage, so even better!

S-works / Specialized over rated, R240 000 for a bike is ridiculous, but still people buy them / finance them because of the brand.

Give Titan Racing the credit for developing well priced / speced bikes and I’m 200% sure there is more to come

Agree with you 100%.  I did and is busy losing a bike or two's weight from my waist ... 😁🤪

Unfortunately I am a bit of a weight weeny on my bike also 🙈, always looking to keep its weight down as much as possible 🤦‍♂️.

El Duderino

Jan 18, 2023, 12:02 PM

15 minutes ago, Headshot said:

You must love shuttle days!!! 😁

Danger Dassie

Jan 18, 2023, 12:53 PM

Weight isn't the be all and end all of a bike's performance, this is especially true of mountain bikes. I've tested a few really lightweight bikes over the years that have been underwhelming or absolute dogs. 
One needs to be really experienced or in the upper end of racing to really appreciate any performance benefit. 

As far as the Cypher goes, I'd venture the frame weight is mostly around the one piece alloy linkage with double load bearings. Surprised that reviews don't really mention this. Anyway, the benefit here is longevity and the ability to handle bigger riders. Maybe further down the line there can be a carbon alternative, with the obvious caveat of an increase in price. 

Jan 18, 2023, 1:16 PM

2 hours ago, El Duderino said:

R130 000... for the budget conscious 🤡

peepeekaitjie

Jan 18, 2023, 1:40 PM

1 hour ago, AllAboutRides said:

loose

lose

El Duderino

Jan 18, 2023, 2:14 PM

38 minutes ago, karma said:

R130 000... for the budget conscious 🤡

I imagine Titan as brand appeals to people who don't want to pay the premium associated with top international brands. So, I want a top end XC bike with high end Sram of Shimano parts. If I were not budget conscious, I'd go for a top end Cannondale, Scott or S-Works and pay in excess of 200K. Or, I could be in the market for a mid-range XC bike with mid-range Sram or Shimano parts. I could go with the aforementioned premium brands, or I could pay 40% less and go with Titan because I'm budget conscious. People can be budget conscious in all ends of the spectrum. Just because you're after a high end product, does not mean you cannot be budget conscious. But, I get your point, R130K for a bicycle seems excessive. But, for someone not willing to spend R240K, it's the budget friendly option.

TheoG

Jan 18, 2023, 2:19 PM

Just now, El Duderino said:

I imagine Titan as brand appeals to people who don't want to pay the premium associated with top international brands. So, I want a top end XC bike with high end Sram of Shimano parts. If I were not budget conscious, I'd go for a top end Cannondale, Scott or S-Works and pay in excess of 200K. Or, I could be in the market for a mid-range XC bike with mid-range Sram or Shimano parts. I could go with the aforementioned premium brands, or I could pay 40% less and go with Titan because I'm budget conscious. People can be budget conscious in all ends of the spectrum. Just because you're after a high end product, does not mean you cannot be budget conscious. But, I get your point, R130K for a bicycle seems excessive. But, for someone not willing to spend R240K, it's the budget friendly option.

R130k doesn't seem excessive, it IS excessive, I don't care who you are or what your point of reference is .... 🤪😁.

Bring the axes, I'm ready .... 😂

dasilvarsa

Jan 18, 2023, 2:52 PM

I Just don't Like Them !

zeerpuD1

Jan 18, 2023, 5:51 PM

I find it mind boggling that people should rave about 1kg more or less on a bike when all you have to do is loose a kilo or two of your own weight and it will cost you no xtra money. There is very big difference between rider weight (70kg - 100kg) that 1kg for the bike is just not worth debating about. I would buy the Titan any time. Very good spec bike.

Showtime

Jan 18, 2023, 9:04 PM

3 hours ago, zeerpuD1 said:

I find it mind boggling that people should rave about 1kg more or less on a bike when all you have to do is loose a kilo or two of your own weight and it will cost you no xtra money. There is very big difference between rider weight (70kg - 100kg) that 1kg for the bike is just not worth debating about. I would buy the Titan any time. Very good spec bike.

But as rightly pointed out you need to put the same tyres on both before you even know the difference. That is why Giant etc don't publish weights. 

swingTOpeddle

Jan 19, 2023, 3:08 AM

I’ve been cycling for just over a year and the cycling environment still fascinates me. Many people are complaining about bicycle prices and here’s a local company producing products of great value with top end parts at a great price. Then we manage to find ways of criticizing it. 
Cyclists are weird beings. 

As someone who entered the cycling market without any preconceived notions I evaluated all options without bias. I can truly say “all in” Titan Racing provides, on balance, the best new products out there. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment