Tech

Review: Topeak JoeBlow Mountain floor pump

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 19 comments

The idea behind designing and manufacturing a floor pump seems simple. Build one that will inflate a wheel and have a reliable, trustworthy gage. You only have to look at Topeak’s range of floor pumps to realise it’s not that easy, especially when taking the added demands of mountain bikers into consideration. Enter Topeak’s JoeBlow Mountain.

ccs-41808-0-75773600-1395058116.jpg

With this dedicated mountain bike floor pump Topeak have managed to take all the lessons learned from their standard JoeBlow and listened to the needs of mountain bikers.

For starters the barrel diameter has been increased from 30mm on the JoeBlow Sport to 44.4mm. This means bigger volume with every stroke, so you will need fewer strokes to inflate your tires. Inflating a 2.35 tire from flat to 40psi takes 23 strokes vs 51 with the JoeBlow Sport. I’ve had mine for over a year and am yet to meet a tire it won’t inflate or mount from completely flat which makes mounting UST tires a breeze.

ccs-41808-0-06398100-1395058104.jpg

TwinHead switches between Presta and Schrader; the JoeBlow Mountain’s 44mm barrel next to its smaller sibling

Specifications

Head: TwinHead

Barrel: Painted Steel

Gauge: Base Mount Analog

Hose: X-Long

Pressure Tuning: Air Release Button

Handle: Oversize Padded

Capacity: 75 psi / 5 bar

Base: Composite

Added Features: Ball/Bladder Heads, Hose Dock

Size (L x W x H): 17 x 23 x 69 cm

Weight: 1.74 kgs

ccs-41808-0-81073800-1395058098.jpg

Another stand-out feature is the dedicated mountain bike gage that only reads to 5 bar/75psi compared to the Sport’s 11 bar/160 psi. This saves on valuable display “space” which means you will be able to fine tune your tire pressure better as the increments are smaller and therfor a lot more readible on it. In a world where 5 psi can make all the difference this is a big bonus.

Then there’s the usual Topeak features. The Double-sided TwinHead™ works with Presta or Schrader valves by flipping it over. No need to swop out the inners or carry extra bits around with you. The head has an easy to use leaver that locks the head in place and opens the valve to inflate the tyre. A built-in air release valve makes it easy to fine tune even further.

The pump has a wide composite base to keep it stable trail-side. The hose is extra long and there are guides at the top of the barrel with a hose dock at the bottom to keep it secure. The handle is oversized and padded, mimicking mountain bike grips. The mountain bike parents among us will be glad to hear it also ships with a pin to inflate soccer or rugby balls.

ccs-41808-0-02833900-1395058112.jpg

In the end

An affordable, reliable, well thought out floor pump that keeps going year after year. It makes pumping up MTB tyres that much easier and does away with most of the gauge that you won’t ever use. For those with tubeless tyre setups, this is surely something to look at, as it could do away with the need for compressors once and for all.

The Topeak JoeBlow™ Mountain is available from your local bike shop. For more info email supercyc@icon.co.za

Comments

carbon29er

Mar 18, 2014, 5:58 AM

A great pump, hi volume on each stroke, the gauge is easy to read and the twinhead means the wheelbarrow is easy to inflate.

Dirtbreath

Mar 18, 2014, 7:51 AM

Great pump but with the increased volume it struggles to reach high pressures so it is as intended to be a mtb specific pump. Tried to pump a mates wheelchair tyres to 9 bar and really struggled.

rouxtjie

Mar 18, 2014, 7:57 AM

Yip +1 to previous posts....great pump, high volume, made properly and you can even get TR seals going with this bad boy.

NOT A ROAD PUMP....big volume <> high pressure

Great buy

Andro

Mar 18, 2014, 7:58 AM

Have one I bought like in 2005 from Lifestyle centre at Tyger Manor, if I recall. Inflate my mtb and Road bike tires fine. Taken up to 10Bar.. no problem.

rouxtjie

Mar 18, 2014, 7:59 AM

Have one I bought like in 2005 from Lifestyle centre at Tyger Manor, if I recall. Inflate my mtb and Road bike tires fine. Taken up to 10Bar.. no problem.

Eish, can't get it to go above 7...then it struggles, but anything up to 7 is piece of tekkie....

Ride it

Mar 21, 2014, 7:08 AM

I'm looking for a pump for the "tech zone" at my kids XCO. Needs to have the ability to seat tubeless tires. Seem like this is capable, anyone had any experience actually doing this with the pump? Would appreciate the feedback.

arendoog

Mar 21, 2014, 7:14 AM

I have had one since 2004 .Still going strong.Seating a new tyre impossible ,but reseating after topup is always possible

Iwan Kemp

Mar 21, 2014, 7:23 AM

I'm looking for a pump for the "tech zone" at my kids XCO. Needs to have the ability to seat tubeless tires. Seem like this is capable, anyone had any experience actually doing this with the pump? Would appreciate the feedback.

I haven't had any problems seating any tubeless tire on various rims.

Bizkit031

Mar 21, 2014, 4:56 PM

How much are they?

Rob K

Mar 22, 2014, 2:12 PM

Presta or Schrader valves

Where can one purchase replacements - mine seems to have worn out and won't stay on the tube valve unless I hold it in place?

Rob K

Mar 22, 2014, 2:15 PM

Ok EDIT

I just found out that Presta or Schrader valves are the tube valves.

I need the little rubber washers inside the Pump Nozzle - which I suspect are worn.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Pusher

Mar 22, 2014, 3:01 PM

How much are they?

R630 @ Cycle Lab Fourways.
Iwan Kemp

Mar 27, 2014, 7:20 AM

R630 @ Cycle Lab Fourways.

That's a bargain for a pump that will last you several years.

carbon29er

Apr 10, 2014, 2:51 PM

How much are they?

I've just bought a batch and I am selling them for R549

Iwan Kemp

Apr 10, 2014, 3:11 PM

I've just bought a batch and I am selling them for R549

:thumbup:

Cyclocross

Apr 23, 2014, 1:25 PM

Doesn't have the supermodel good looks of the Lezyne's but solid, great value pump. Had one since 2007 with no problems. Did struggle reaching max pressure on my road tubbies until I replaced the valve extenders with better quality ones. Now no problems reaching max pressure. Happy days.

Iwan Kemp

May 24, 2014, 12:18 PM

Doesn't have the supermodel good looks of the Lezyne's but solid, great value pump. Had one since 2007 with no problems. Did struggle reaching max pressure on my road tubbies until I replaced the valve extenders with better quality ones. Now no problems reaching max pressure. Happy days.

That's very impressive durability.

Hackster

Feb 24, 2015, 5:20 AM

Only criticism I have is that the markings on the dial are difficult to read - unless you're under 40 and have great eyesight.

PeterF

Feb 24, 2015, 5:34 AM

Ok EDIT

I just found out that Presta or Schrader valves are the tube valves.

I need the little rubber washers inside the Pump Nozzle - which I suspect are worn.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

I have seen these at my LBS in P.E.  I think that they are pretty standard as I have swopped them between pumps made by different manufacturers.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment