Tech

Review: YT Capra CF Comp

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 34 comments

Before the launch of YT Industries in South Africa earlier this year, the Capra was a rare sight on our trails. Only a handful Capra’s made it into the country ridden by those willing to jump through a few hoops. Despite the restricted supply, the rave reviews from international media and riders made an impact on our shores. Then there were low prices making it seem even more worthwhile trying to get that distant relative to take delivery of a bike while you were passing through Europe.

YT Capra-1.jpg

First launched in early 2014, the Capra was somewhat of a milestone for all-mountain bikes. It took the modern low, slack and long geometry formula and made it work on a 170mm bike. Since then the industry has exploded with capable do-it-all enduro machines. Does the Capra still put forward a claim as the most impressive of the lot?

The Bike

The Capra sits on the burly end of the enduro bike spectrum with 165 mm of rear travel and a 170mm fork. The robust-looking carbon CF Comp frame matches the travel figures with big tubing, defined angles, and extra material in critical areas.

YT Capra-21.jpg

YT Capra-13.jpg
YT Capra-2.jpg

The geometry chart for the large frame makes for good reading with a 65 degree head angle, 430 mm chainstays, and a 1202 mm wheel base. The 443 mm reach means that taller riders will have to look to the longer aluminium model for a bit more room. Even then, my personal preference would see the Capra get a bit more stretch across the range.

YT Capra-10.jpg

YT Industries have embraced the availability of the Horst-Link suspension design to great advantage. In YT’s case they’ve developed what they call Virtual 4-Link (V4L). This design drives the Capra’s 165 mm travel and promises good mid stroke support for pedaling while ramping up progressively to prevent a harsh bottom out.

Components

The CF Comp features proven and reliable components. The bike is driven by a 1x system using a mix of SRAM X1 and Race Face components while SRAM’s sturdy Guide RS brakes paired with 200 mm rotors do well at slowing the bike.

YT Capra-9.jpg
YT Capra-11.jpg
YT Capra-12.jpg

For 2016, YT introduced RockShox’s Lyrik fork to the Capra range. Being our first time riding the fork, we were very impressed with the 170 mm model. While there is precious little to complain about with the Pike, the Lyrik is noticeably stiffer with excellent composure on rough rocky trails.

YT Capra-18.jpg
YT Capra-8.jpg

YT Capra-19.jpg

Testing this bike was my first experience on a pair of Maxxis High Roller II. I was immediately blown away by the immense grip and ability to absorb the nastiest of knocks. The only downside is that hauling the 2.4″ inch tires up the mountain is not quite as pleasurable as hurtling down with them. I would also recommend converting them to tubeless, as they do fall victim to devil thorns.

Pricing

It is not only the riding characteristics of the YT Industries bikes that get people excited. The pricing of their bikes (through a direct to market business model) is also a major contributor to their success. Although YT are being represented by a local company in South Africa, they are still offering the bikes direct to market and shunning retailers.

So what does this mean for pricing? With the weak Rand throwing bike pricing and our sense of value into turmoil, it would seem that the Capra prices are generally reasonable. The reviewed Capra CF Comp will set you back R78,900 which puts it in the ballpark for similar specced bikes. The range topping Capra CF Pro Race with top equipment including carbon rims appears to be well priced at R103,500. On the other end of the spectrum, the entry Capra AL goes for R49,900 with an aluminium frame, GX drive train and RockShox Yari fork.

On the trail

Getting a modern enduro bike set up can be somewhat daunting but the Capra was relatively easy to live with. The demo bike had been ridden previously and all we needed to do was set fork and shock sag to our weights. Jumping on the bike, it felt familiar and I’m sure riders of all levels will feel right at home on this bike.

Thanks to huge strives in suspension and geometry, modern bikes with 165 mm of travel and 65 degree head angles are expected to be respectable climbers. The Capra’s V4L suspension design achieves this with great efficiency when climbing, making the Capra a comfortable climber. That being said, it is a big bike that leans more towards downhill riding than most enduro bikes. I recommend sitting back and enjoying the view as you chat to your mates about the happenings of your last descent. This way you will be set to climb up and down the mountain all day long.

YT Capra-16.jpgThe quality Race Face Atlas components make the components a comfortable place to be with short stem and wide bar lengths matching the enduro credentials of the rest of the bike.

Heading down the trails is a completely different experience. The bike is a no excuse trail brawler that thrives at ridiculous speeds on steep trails. I have never ridden a bike that compels you to continually go faster and push boundaries quite like the Capra does. The more I succumbed to the bike’s wishes, the further it amazed me with its agility. After a day of riding the Capra, you walk away with no doubts as to why you love mountain biking.

At this point, let me stick my hand up and acknowledge that I’m not the bravest rider on the mountain. On the Capra, however, I had renewed confidence. Obstacles that I had been eyeing out for months, I simply attempted with little hesitation on the Capra. This is testament to the bikes geometry and excellent suspension. The rear end is mind blowingly good at keeping traction and absorbing big impacts when you misjudge your ability, giving you the confidence to exceed your perceived limits.

Special mention needs to be made of the Capra’s aerial abilities. It simply ate up the jumps. The Capra allows you to push into the jump and pop off the lip with little concern as it flew true more often than most bikes. It can also handle a heavy casing should you find yourself falling short.

YT Capra-6.jpgThe new standard haters can rejoice as the 2016 Capra range has stuck with a 12×142 axle, for now.

The Capra is not a trail bike and can be a bit sluggish on trails with mild gradients where serious pedalling is required to keep up the necessary speed. While it is capable, the Capra is built for big mountain riding and not designed to excel in these areas, it’s something worth considering when deciding on your own needs.

In the end

The YT Capra CF Comp exceeds expectations. It is an outstanding enduro bike that does its best to make riding downhill as fast and fun as ever. The Capra has a special ability to make the rider feel like a mountain biking god. Throw in all-day pedalling comfort and you have a great bike.

My only doubt is that the Capra may be too much bike for most South African trails. We simply do not have the steepness or big bike park features that our friends in Europe and the Americas enjoy. If you are considering the Capra as your only bike, this is a bike best suited for big hitters, be honest with your riding habits. That being said, who doesn’t enjoy a bit of excess in life? And, if it has to be a YT, there is always a Jeffsy.

Full Specification

• Framehigh modular carbonfiber frame, V4L Virtual 4-Link rear suspension, X12 (142x12mm) DT Swiss through axle
  • SizeS / M / L
  • ForkRockShox Lyrik RCT3
  • ShockRockShox Monarch Plus RC3
  • Travel Front/Rear170mm/165mm
  • HeadsetAcros AIX-326
  • CranksetRace Face Turbine
  • Bottom BracketRace Face Pressfit 30 (73)
  • Chain GuideE*Thirteen TRS+
  • Rear DerailleurSRAM X1
  • ShifterSRAM X1
  • CassetteSRAM XG 1150
  • ChainSRAM PC1130
  • BrakesSRAM Guide RS
  • DiscsSRAM Centerline (200)
  • GripsSensus Disisdaboss
  • TyresMaxxis High Roller II
  • WheelsetE*Thirteen TRS+
  • StemRace Face Atlas
  • HandlebarRace Face Atlas (770)
  • SeatpostRockShox Reverb Stealth
  • SaddleSDG Duster YT Custom
  • Claimed weight13.50 kg
  • Retail PriceR78,900.00

Comments

Beer4Recovery

Jul 4, 2016, 3:18 PM

Dream bike!!

Bizkit031

Jul 4, 2016, 5:21 PM

They are not for tall guys the TT is too short for guys like me but the Jeffsy might work. I will stick with my trusted Spitty.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jul 4, 2016, 5:23 PM

Still LOVE that head tube. SOme real design work there. 

Beer4Recovery

Jul 4, 2016, 7:14 PM

Dream bike!!

NicoBoshoff

Jul 5, 2016, 8:15 AM

Best review so far.  Thorough and I leave with a fair idea of the bike's abilities.  Thanks Nick.

Pity you couldn't test it tubeless for a true feel of it's climbing potential.

Pity the ZAR is a dogshow, negating any benefit the direct sales model offered.  However, I suppose other than crappy wheels, the entry level Capra at R49k is still superior in spec to other bikes in that price range.

Headshot

Jul 5, 2016, 9:24 AM

Ya, great review!

I remember when the R was 11 to the E - then these bikes felt like good value. Local prices are now rather expensive thanks to the 25% loss in value the Rand has suffered since 2012. 

I sometimes wonder why I ride a 160mm travel bike - usually on some boring slog trail riding with a mate on an 11kg marathon bike - and then I think of the fun I have on my local loop. The drop offs and little jumps I seek out and the baby head strewn descent I can hit as fast as I like. 

Then I know why. 

For well under 49k you could get a Spaz Enduro on special with dropper post recently so I am not sure the value is there even at that price point. 

Odinson

Jul 5, 2016, 9:38 AM

I agree with Nick. The Capra may be way too much bike for most of SA's trails. However, it won't stop peeps from buying one for that day or two where you might actually need the travel. It's kind of similar to buying a Defender (or other proper off-roader) for that annual trip to the bundus.

The pricing for YT only truly makes sense in Europe, where they represent crazy good value. Spec for spec and bike for bike, YT oftentimes beat out other direct sales outfits such as Canyon and Commencal.

Tommohawk

Jul 5, 2016, 7:00 PM

All these models are over-priced...

As an example - The Giant Reign 2 aluminium model is R44k with a Rockshox Pike fork, Monarch rear shock and Shimano SLX/Deore drivetrain. Less cash, better spec.

The comparative carbon Giant Reign Advanced 2 is R6k cheaper than the Capra CF Comp, with full XT groupset (arguably better than the X1 groupset and RF Turbine crankset on the Capra CF Comp).

All this whilst still offering retail stores normal margins before any discounting...

NicoBoshoff

Jul 5, 2016, 7:17 PM

Shots fired!

Jul 5, 2016, 7:29 PM

That's what happens when the ZAR gets shot to shaite...

Btw. Reign 2 is USD3400. At current rates (15 or so) that equates to R51k.

So last stock must have been at a lower rate, or they're prepping for the new reign to arrive.

As for XT being better than X1... nope. Same level.

Jul 5, 2016, 7:44 PM

All these models are over-priced...

As an example - The Giant Reign 2 aluminium model is R44k with a Rockshox Pike fork, Monarch rear shock and Shimano SLX/Deore drivetrain. Less cash, better spec.

The comparative carbon Giant Reign Advanced 2 is R6k cheaper than the Capra CF Comp, with full XT groupset (arguably better than the X1 groupset and RF Turbine crankset on the Capra CF Comp).

All this whilst still offering retail stores normal margins before any discounting...

Giant is probably the best value you'll get anywhere out of a "normal" distribution model, until Spez does their end of season last stock sales.

Though saying that, your comparison is a bit out.

Slx / deore mix vs SRAM GX. GX is equivalent of SLX if you must compare. So YT takes that round.

Deore brakes vs SRAM DB5. Same level, though I'd prefer the DRAM

Giant P-AM2 wheels vs DT SWISS m1700. No contest.

Giant dropper vs reverb. Even contest here

Monarch vs monarch plus. No contest here either.

Pike vs Yari. More difficult though the Pike wins this even though the yari is the better chassis.

Deore crank vs RF Aeffect crank. I'll take the raceface.

So no. Not beating it hands down in the value stakes, especially considering the differences in exchange rate at time of pricing, most likely.

Current USD price is USD 3400 for the Reign. YT is at current rates USD 3,333.

Next time, just check the facts before firing that shot.

NicoBoshoff

Jul 5, 2016, 7:45 PM

Jeez Myles, I thought Sherrif quit the Hub...

Jul 5, 2016, 7:53 PM

Jeez Myles, I thought Sherrif quit the Hub...

Lol. Someone was wrong on the Internet.

But yeah dude. Shaite is overpriced for us plebs in ZOOMAVILLE. When the bike I bought for less than 50k last year now retails for north of 80k (reign advanced 1) purely due to the USD movements (okay, there was a USD400 price increase as well) then I start worrying.

But it's all explainable if you look at the numbers.

Carbon frames are still going for about USD3000 on average. This means that your super bike frame was 32k this time last year or so. Now, it's 45k.

Mehness.

Trance Dance

Jul 5, 2016, 9:28 PM

Not so sure bout them numbers... 20% rand depreciation does not account for 60% price increase. Methinks there may be a little bit of piss taking somewhere in the distribution chain.

Jul 5, 2016, 9:51 PM

Not so sure bout them numbers... 20% rand depreciation does not account for 60% price increase. Methinks there may be a little bit of piss taking somewhere in the distribution chain.

Had another look. USD price at the time of purchase was $4,800 and USD was 11.5 so that equals ZAR 55,200. I got it for less than 50k due to some specials going on at the time.

Fast forward to now. USD is around 15 to the ZAR and the USD price is $ 5,200. That's R 78k so ja a little out, but at 16:1 that moves to R 83,200. I think the last batch was brought in at around the 16:1 mark, so if you take those figures, it's a 51% price increase. 8.3% of that was due to the increase in USD price, the rest was solely exchange rate movements. 

The only piss taking is in the exchange rates and time of purchase. If you import when the USD hits 16, you get reamed and you need to pass that on to the consumer unless you've done some forward pricing and paid before the goods hit our shores. Likewise, taking recent weeks into account - if you waited just ONE week, you'd have either saved or paid 10% more in one fell swoop by delaying payment a bit. 

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Jul 6, 2016, 4:36 AM

Would rather have an Evil Insurgent, yes it costs a little bit more I know.

The DELTA system is better, looks better and more useable I reckon.

Just my opinion, not a fan of the capras looks personally.

NicoBoshoff

Jul 6, 2016, 4:49 AM

Had another look. USD price at the time of purchase was $4,800 and USD was 11.5 so that equals ZAR 55,200. I got it for less than 50k due to some specials going on at the time.

Fast forward to now. USD is around 15 to the ZAR and the USD price is $ 5,200. That's R 78k so ja a little out, but at 16:1 that moves to R 83,200. I think the last batch was brought in at around the 16:1 mark, so if you take those figures, it's a 51% price increase. 8.3% of that was due to the increase in USD price, the rest was solely exchange rate movements.

The only piss taking is in the exchange rates and time of purchase. If you import when the USD hits 16, you get reamed and you need to pass that on to the consumer unless you've done some forward pricing and paid before the goods hit our shores. Likewise, taking recent weeks into account - if you waited just ONE week, you'd have either saved or paid 10% more in one fell swoop by delaying payment a bit.

Yeah, not their fault. Not my problem either. This is going to be a terrible year or two for bike shops. Closures already starting. Sucks big time.

Odinson

Jul 6, 2016, 5:05 AM

Have you spent time on both bikes to be able to draw that conclusion?

banna

Jul 6, 2016, 5:21 AM

The only piss taking is in the exchange rates and time of purchase. If you import when the USD hits 16, you get reamed and you need to pass that on to the consumer unless you've done some forward pricing and paid before the goods hit our shores.  

Ja, I wonder to what extent (if any) they take forward cover?

Jul 6, 2016, 5:59 AM

Ja, I wonder to what extent (if any) they take forward cover?

Depends mostly on when their invoices are received, I reckon. Not too clued up on the whole process, but I know you can't just transfer USD unless you've got a reason for it (proven imports, for one) and for that you need an invoice. Either that, or an offshore account. Not too sure how many saffa companies (in the distro world) have that, or just pay as and when.

As you know, Banna - forward cover is a tricky mistress. 

Jul 6, 2016, 6:00 AM

Yeah, not their fault. Not my problem either. This is going to be a terrible year or two for bike shops. Closures already starting. Sucks big time.

yeah bro. It does. And I sure as hell can't afford a new bike nowadays. Wouldn't have been able to afford my current one without the sods that stole it. 

banna

Jul 6, 2016, 6:08 AM

Depends mostly on when their invoices are received, I reckon. Not too clued up on the whole process, but I know you can't just transfer USD unless you've got a reason for it (proven imports, for one) and for that you need an invoice. Either that, or an offshore account. Not too sure how many saffa companies (in the distro world) have that, or just pay as and when.

As you know, Banna - forward cover is a tricky mistress. 

Indeed. The main upside for forward cover is obviously that you know well in advance what your input costs are going to be and then you can plan accordingly. But of course from a cash flow point of view, you can either gain or lose a lot depending on forex movements.  

Some importers apply for a "blanket cover" arrangement with the SARB which allows them to take forward cover without presenting invoices at that time. Quite nifty, because then you can take cover at any given time when you see the Rand is strengthening.  

Jul 6, 2016, 6:09 AM

Ah. Judging a suspension's performance based on its looks. Right. 

Just say you prefer the looks of the Evil. Nothing wrong with that, and you don't sound like a stoopid when you say it.

The DELTA (as darn sexy as it is) isn't objectively better or worse than the horst link design of the YT. It'll be different, sure, but each has its own quirks. And both are very good suspension designs. 

There's also a reason so many bikes have adapted the Horst link design since Spaz's patent ran out. 

droenn

Jul 6, 2016, 6:27 AM

Its pretty impossible to ride lots of different types of these bikes since they are either direct order, or shops hesitant to keep one on floor. 

And as there really aren't many bad bikes at this price point, I guess a lot of us do go by looks to narrow down choices.  :whistling:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment