Tech

Schwalbe presents the first tread cutter specifically for MTB tires

· By Press Office · 26 comments

Sharp cuts for fine tuning: Schwalbe presented the first tread cutter for MTB tires at the opening round of the MTB World Cup in Lourdes, France, April 7th to 10th. The tongs, with their exact tread-height adjustment function, allow precise shortening of the tire lugs.

ccs-62657-0-58906400-1460977479.jpgSchwalbe’s new tread cutter in use at the UCI World Cup in Lourdes.

“Although we offer a suitable tread for every type of terrain, sometimes unpredictable trail conditions require a unique tread to find the perfect balance of rolling and grip”, says Michael Kull from Schwalbe Marketing and Race Support. “With the tread cutter, riders can adapt the tire tread even more perfectly to the respective situation.”

For example, the sturdy center lugs of our mud-terrain tire, Dirty Dan, can be shortened for easier rolling. Or, as with Hans Dampf, the transition lugs in the shoulder area can be trimmed, giving more free space, and making the tread more aggressive. Lugs that have been worn “round” can have a straight edge again. Kull: “This is the first tread cutter developed specifically for MTB tires. With it, you can cut the lugs off with a smooth edge and – thanks to the cutting-height adjustment – to your exact required height.”

ccs-62657-0-92963200-1460977476.jpg

The tread cutter will be available at the end of April from specialty bike retailers (€26.90).

Comments

SwissVan

Apr 18, 2016, 11:09 AM

And then you had to buy new tyres....Clever Germans

428 others

Apr 18, 2016, 11:12 AM

Clearly not paying for the tyres!

madbradd

Apr 18, 2016, 11:54 AM

Developed specifically for MTB tyres...... does that mean there is one for cutting road tyre tread?

shaper

Apr 18, 2016, 11:58 AM

So whats the difference with this tool and a typical wire cutter ??

post-33015-0-34990500-1460980680_thumb.jpg

Capricorn

Apr 18, 2016, 12:05 PM

the little gauge, which encourages mindless efficiency. Great for the mechanics who have to cut many more tyres in a day than most of us will ever cut in our lifetimes. if ever.

BaGearA

Apr 18, 2016, 12:06 PM

well speaking as someone who PAYS for tires

no thanks

BaGearA

Apr 18, 2016, 12:06 PM

It has "schwalbe " written on i.e. +R200

SwissVan

Apr 18, 2016, 1:15 PM

You can adjust the reach / depth so that each snip is the same

gummibear

Apr 18, 2016, 1:24 PM

Wire cutter isn't as sharp and will just pinch the rubber.

gummibear

Apr 18, 2016, 1:31 PM

the little gauge, which encourages mindless efficiency. Great for the mechanics who have to cut many more tyres in a day than most of us will ever cut in our lifetimes. if ever.

Most of the pro teams use heated tyre groovers to modify tyres.

http://pitstopusa.com/images/F143847057.jpg

Capricorn

Apr 18, 2016, 1:39 PM

Most of the pro teams use heated tyre groovers to modify tyres.

http://pitstopusa.com/images/F143847057.jpg

jeepers. haven't seen that gadget before, at least not in the downhill WC pit footage. What do they do with it?

V12man

Apr 18, 2016, 1:47 PM

jeepers. haven't seen that gadget before, at least not in the downhill WC pit footage. What do they do with it?

Change the grooves on race tires - mostly used by car and bike teams - never seen it in use for mtb.

Really popular with rally teams.

gummibear

Apr 18, 2016, 1:49 PM

They cut the knobby shorter or change the shape.

The blades are different lengths and widths.

Donovan Le Cok

Apr 18, 2016, 1:51 PM

Do you think the hub editorial office receive news items and are like "post it, post it!, this will get the idiots going"  

RocknRolla

Apr 18, 2016, 2:12 PM

more uselelss **** that we are being convinced we need...

SwissVan

Apr 18, 2016, 2:15 PM

Do you think the hub editorial office receive news items and are like "post it, post it!, this will get the idiots going"  

LOL luckily i'm not drinking coffee

And I object to being called an idiot, idiot

gummibear

Apr 18, 2016, 2:17 PM

nonky

Apr 18, 2016, 2:18 PM

LOL luckily i'm not drinking coffee

And I object to being called an idiot, idiot

IDIOT ALERT!

madbradd

Apr 18, 2016, 5:31 PM

more uselelss **** that we are being convinced we need...

Useless???? This will be extremely useful for when I want to try a different tyre combo but still have tread on my current ones.

haasbroek

Apr 18, 2016, 5:48 PM

Think the crux with this is here

: "Schwalbe presented the first tread cutter for MTB tires at the opening round of the MTB World Cup in Lourdes, France, April 7th to 10th. "

raptor-22

Apr 18, 2016, 6:05 PM

Developed specifically for MTB tyres...... does that mean there is one for cutting road tyre tread?

yes its called a soldering iron or soddering iron if youse is a yank

EmptyB

Apr 18, 2016, 6:19 PM

Whatever!!

Tell me this isn't serious....

Capricorn

Apr 18, 2016, 6:20 PM

that's pretty cool! thanks for the vid  :thumbup:

Belgarath

Apr 18, 2016, 6:28 PM

About R400 (26 flippin Euro's)

Seriously though, like V12Man said, I only really see this in a professional team's technical area. Just started today on a fresh set of knobblies, want to keep them like that.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment