Tech

Shimano introduce new flat and SPD pedals

Supplied by Shimano.

· By Press Office · 27 comments

To maintain its industry-leading pedal platforms, Shimano has released four new Flat pedals – the SAINT PD-M829, the DEORE XT PD-M8141, the SHIMANO PD-GR400, a new Explorer PD-EF102 pedal and an updated version of its SPD SAINT downhill pedal (PD-M821).

Shimano has been producing pedal systems since the late 1970s and MTB pedals since 1990. Shimano’s SAINT pedals are now used by world-class downhill athletes such as Brook MacDonald from MS Mondraker and Wyn Masters from GT Factory Racing.

The new SAINT flat pedal (PD-M829) features an aluminium and carbon composite resin body with a concave shape and up to 14 pins (4 optional) in 6 mm or 3 mm lengths for secure and stable grip for better bike control. The PD-M829 is intended for Downhill, Enduro, Freeride or Park riding. A pair of pedals weigh 397g. Each pedal is 121×100 mm in diameter with a maximum height of 16.1 mm.

PD-M829_v1.jpeg

PD-M8141_v1.jpeg

Last in the flat pedal line-up is the PD-GR400. This is a more affordable version of Shimano’s flat pedals for trail or casual riding. It comes with a smaller 103 x 96 mm resin body, nine removable pins per side, a maximum height of 16 mm and a weight of 394 g.

PD-GR400_C8_1.jpeg

An updated SAINT SPD pedal (PD-M821) will be music to the ears of MacDonald and Masters because it now features a new axle to improve durability, which means less frequent bearing maintenance.

PD-M821_v1.jpeg

PD-M821_v2.jpeg

The wide and grippy contact area, with a thin but tough pedal body, and SPD shoe retention system is retained. The pedal body is designed to allow for easy mud-shedding and its thin profile provides obstacle clearance. The PD-M821 features four height-adjustable pins per side, which match the lug positions of Shimano’s downhill SPD (AM-series) shoes.

PD-M829_v3.jpeg

PD-M829_v2.jpeg

PD-M8141_v2.jpeg

SHIMANO’s final 2021 pedal introduction is the flat pedal PD-EF102 for everyday riding. It is for general comfort riding in various environments with a wide-body & grip pattern for stable pedaling, resin body for a stable pedal-to-shoe connection and great axle durability. It comes with an integrated reflector for urban environments.

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

Rock Guy

Jul 30, 2021, 6:59 AM

Thank you for putting together this nice list of products that Cool Heat won't be bringing into SA.

Spafsack

Jul 30, 2021, 8:23 AM

These actually look dam nice. I see lower pegs centre versus higher ones edges, front back i mean. So is that how they getting some sort of 'concave' i assume? The new flat shoes also look nice, hope sole is stiff ish. Wonder what pricing will come in at...

Thermophage

Jul 30, 2021, 10:10 AM

3 hours ago, Rock Guy said:

Thank you for putting together this nice list of products that Cool Heat won't be bringing into SA.

waaaahahahahaha ???? best

Long Wheel Base

Jul 30, 2021, 11:48 AM

I know nothing about these type of pedals being a roadie and all. So please excuse my ignorance, but what is this for?

Capture.JPG.82dfb7e6953947552c021eeaf09635b4.JPG

Rock Guy

Jul 30, 2021, 12:21 PM

27 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I know nothing about these type of pedals being a roadie and all. So please excuse my ignorance, but what is this for?

Can't find any info, but perhaps to adjust the angle at which a detent stops the pedal's rotation? 

Spafsack

Jul 30, 2021, 12:32 PM

I think that is the Flux Capacitor Spindle Adjuster if i am not mistaken.  

Johnny Lawless

Jul 30, 2021, 1:20 PM

1 hour ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Could it be to prevent the axle from undoing during pedaling? No idea honestly

The Ouzo

Jul 30, 2021, 1:30 PM

8 minutes ago, Johnny Lawless said:

Could it be to prevent the axle from undoing during pedaling? No idea honestly

it does seem to look like some sort of over complicated locking mechanism for the axle bolt

JA-Q001

Jul 30, 2021, 1:43 PM

If I should guess, its for adjusting how freely the pedal spins.

When putting a foot down you would want your pedal flat again when bringing your foot back. If it hangs freely and contacts the ground it could spin a lot and you can struggle putting your foot flat on it again and nobody wants a foot to slip off of one of these pedals and it bites your shin.

Frosty

Jul 30, 2021, 1:43 PM

[comic sans on]

1 hour ago, Long Wheel Base said:

It's to keep the pedal horizontal so that newbies/rookies/roadies don't fall over sideways when trying to "cleat in".

or

It's to also keep the pedal horizontal, so the BMXers don't bash their shin against the pins when their foot pulls off the pedal.

[comic sans off]

Frosty

Jul 30, 2021, 1:44 PM

1 minute ago, JA-Q001 said:

When putting a foot down you would want your pedal flat again when bringing your foot back. If it hangs freely and contacts the ground it could spin a lot and you can struggle putting your foot flat on it again and nobody wants a foot to slip off of one of these pedals and it bites your shin.

See we were thinking the same thing ????

Frosty

Jul 30, 2021, 1:46 PM

Here's the PD-GR500 exploded view... guess we'll find out sooner or later.

image.png.5aac46a49d7e65887f85798b223ad678.png

JA-Q001

Jul 30, 2021, 1:48 PM

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

See we were thinking the same thing ????

People that have felt the pain would understand. Although, I last had flat pedals on the bike I delivered newspapers with.

Frosty

Jul 30, 2021, 1:53 PM

4 minutes ago, JA-Q001 said:

People that have felt the pain would understand. Although, I last had flat pedals on the bike I delivered newspapers with.

Primary school for me - lots of hits to the shins

DonatelloOnPinarello

Jul 30, 2021, 2:04 PM

11 minutes ago, JA-Q001 said:

Spot on, it adjusts the resistance between the pedal and its axle. Specifically important for free riders doing tricks in the air and taking their feet of the pedals. You want the pedal to remain flat, so that when you put your foot back down it’s in the right place. To a lesser extent downhill/Trail/Enduro riders don’t want the pedal spinning around at 14 billion rpm if it happens to clip a branch or something while you have your foot out in a turn.

But, if your riding a pedal like this, and aren’t wearing shin guards, you need to seriously re-asses your life's choices. ????

Hairy

Jul 30, 2021, 2:16 PM

2 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

opens beers here

DonatelloOnPinarello

Jul 30, 2021, 3:07 PM

8 hours ago, Rock Guy said:

I wasn’t aware CoolHeat were bringing any Shimano products into SA anymore???? my conspiracy theory at least is that actually they are a subsidiary of SRAM, and they pay for the local distributorship for Shimano solely to make sure it’s never available on the local market.

Fear not. Things are changing. Shimano, although being the biggest player in bike components in the world, is also extremely traditional/old fashioned in terms of structure. In most larger markets, they have their own local headquarters and sales outlets, that as a rule only handle B2B sales. Although wholly owned subsidiaries, the individual regional companies are autonomous, and decisions around wholesale pricing etc is handled individually at regional level. Back in 2018, Shimano USA had a whine because a few major retailers, but specifically JensenUSA specifically was buying its stock from Shimano Europe, and Shimano Singapore, at much lower prices then they could get from Shimano USA. So instead of the Japanese giving USA a wrap on the knuckles and tell them to get their pricing in line with the rest of the word, they implemented Geolocking, and since then, Official retailers are only allowed to buy from their local Distributor, and aren’t allowed to sell outside of that distributors Market Zone. If they didn’t stop retailers from selling to external markets, big guys like Jensen would have just set up operations in EU, and ship from their to their US clients, or clients would turn to other major online retailers.

Coolheats market share is way too small that they could ever have achieved this themselves, but they got lucky on this, and currently have exclusive rights to distribution in South Africa by pure luck. 

The changes in the market and consumer behaviour driven by Covid, as well as their experience with their other brands, like Pearl Izumi and some of the fishing stuff as well, means changes will be coming. Obviously they first need to get their supply back up to spec, which is a seperate issue all together, and then also fulfill existing sales via the various regional hubs, before any major change would be seen. But industry chatter is unanimous that the geoblocking will soon be done away with, and more and more Direct to Consumer sales will also become available.

In the mean while, at least at consumer level - viva AremexGlobalShopper….

Hairy

Jul 30, 2021, 5:46 PM

2 hours ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

I wasn’t aware CoolHeat were bringing any Shimano products into SA anymore???? my conspiracy theory at least is that actually they are a subsidiary of SRAM, and they pay for the local distributorship for Shimano solely to make sure it’s never available on the local market.

Fear not. Things are changing. Shimano, although being the biggest player in bike components in the world, is also extremely traditional/old fashioned in terms of structure. In most larger markets, they have their own local headquarters and sales outlets, that as a rule only handle B2B sales. Although wholly owned subsidiaries, the individual regional companies are autonomous, and decisions around wholesale pricing etc is handled individually at regional level. Back in 2018, Shimano USA had a whine because a few major retailers, but specifically JensenUSA specifically was buying its stock from Shimano Europe, and Shimano Singapore, at much lower prices then they could get from Shimano USA. So instead of the Japanese giving USA a wrap on the knuckles and tell them to get their pricing in line with the rest of the word, they implemented Geolocking, and since then, Official retailers are only allowed to buy from their local Distributor, and aren’t allowed to sell outside of that distributors Market Zone. If they didn’t stop retailers from selling to external markets, big guys like Jensen would have just set up operations in EU, and ship from their to their US clients, or clients would turn to other major online retailers.

Coolheats market share is way too small that they could ever have achieved this themselves, but they got lucky on this, and currently have exclusive rights to distribution in South Africa by pure luck. 

The changes in the market and consumer behaviour driven by Covid, as well as their experience with their other brands, like Pearl Izumi and some of the fishing stuff as well, means changes will be coming. Obviously they first need to get their supply back up to spec, which is a seperate issue all together, and then also fulfill existing sales via the various regional hubs, before any major change would be seen. But industry chatter is unanimous that the geoblocking will soon be done away with, and more and more Direct to Consumer sales will also become available.

You may be onto something, and it could also be a end goal for Shimano increasing their production capacity recently .... and hopefully good for us the end users.

ChrisF

Jul 30, 2021, 6:39 PM

3 hours ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

I was looking at Shimano SLX, possibly XT 1x11 sets today on Evobikes (just because I got their newsletter) .... nice options, nice prices, NO stock ....

Seems you can choose between the top of the range, or NX/SX sram (same at most SA shops at the moment).... then I will rather wait for Shimano.

Lets hope Shimano comes back strong in SA 

DonatelloOnPinarello

Jul 30, 2021, 8:59 PM

3 hours ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

You may be onto something, and it could also be a end goal for Shimano increasing their production capacity recently .... and hopefully good for us the end users.

The end user will be the one gaining the most when geoblocking falls away. Especially in smaller markets like ours. Unrestricted access to the global supply chain can never be a bad thing. The only ones who benefit are the ones playing gatekeeper. 

Look at the brands in currently under the C.H stable, over and above Shimano, they have:

Continental Tires - Excellent products, exceptionally well represented worldwide, very popular, but near impossible to get hold of locally (a bit better represented on the road side of things, but I can’t remember when last I saw a conti on a MTB in SA)

CatEye - Granted they have fallen off the bandwagon on the head unit side of things, still a super recognisable brand in cycling, and they make some awesome lights, but I’ve never seen them for sale locally. Cyclelab probably has some in stock, but can’t say I have noticed, and definately not in any other bike shops. Why not? We love night riding here. Okes spend big money on lights, and the CatEye rechargeable lights are really good value for money, well made units. 

Joes No-Flats - Pretty much the original tubeless solution. But until I went to check the coolheat website, I forgot they existed. The sealant market is pretty saturated, and there are some great local products too. But a brand like Joe’s should always be front of mind when you think sealant. I’m not sure who represents Stans in SA, but I do know they are doing a better job.

White lightning - Okay, guess we can cut them some slack on this one, If the sealant scene is saturated, the lube side of things is overflowing, and white lightning does sealant as well.

The fact that all those brands are so underrepresented in the South African market must raise a few questions? But by controlling the access to Shimano, they have the entire local bike industry by the short and curlies. If a bike shop wants to provide aftermarket service, or handle any warranty issues on bikes with Shimano components, they currently have no choice in where to go. This kind of cartel mindset has only ever been bad for any industry. 

splat

Jul 31, 2021, 1:59 PM

On 7/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, JA-Q001 said:

It's interesting to see that its on the XT, but not the Saint pedal.

Danger Dassie

Aug 2, 2021, 11:43 AM

On 7/30/2021 at 10:59 PM, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

The end user will be the one gaining the most when geoblocking falls away. Especially in smaller markets like ours. Unrestricted access to the global supply chain can never be a bad thing. The only ones who benefit are the ones playing gatekeeper. 

Look at the brands in currently under the C.H stable, over and above Shimano, they have:

Continental Tires - Excellent products, exceptionally well represented worldwide, very popular, but near impossible to get hold of locally (a bit better represented on the road side of things, but I can’t remember when last I saw a conti on a MTB in SA)

CatEye - Granted they have fallen off the bandwagon on the head unit side of things, still a super recognisable brand in cycling, and they make some awesome lights, but I’ve never seen them for sale locally. Cyclelab probably has some in stock, but can’t say I have noticed, and definately not in any other bike shops. Why not? We love night riding here. Okes spend big money on lights, and the CatEye rechargeable lights are really good value for money, well made units. 

Joes No-Flats - Pretty much the original tubeless solution. But until I went to check the coolheat website, I forgot they existed. The sealant market is pretty saturated, and there are some great local products too. But a brand like Joe’s should always be front of mind when you think sealant. I’m not sure who represents Stans in SA, but I do know they are doing a better job.

White lightning - Okay, guess we can cut them some slack on this one, If the sealant scene is saturated, the lube side of things is overflowing, and white lightning does sealant as well.

The fact that all those brands are so underrepresented in the South African market must raise a few questions? But by controlling the access to Shimano, they have the entire local bike industry by the short and curlies. If a bike shop wants to provide aftermarket service, or handle any warranty issues on bikes with Shimano components, they currently have no choice in where to go. This kind of cartel mindset has only ever been bad for any industry. 

Lazer helmets and Pearl Izumi fall under their stable as well .... Stans is through Two Wheels Trading, along with Lezyne, Momsen etc 

Hairy

Aug 2, 2021, 12:01 PM

On 7/30/2021 at 10:59 PM, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

what ... like some sort of organised price fixing type of thing ... nah, they would never do that?

image.png.d3c878a875a07fdec2c7cd3ea639d567.png

DonatelloOnPinarello

Aug 4, 2021, 4:36 PM

On 7/30/2021 at 3:48 PM, JA-Q001 said:

Please don’t take this personal, but I know a good number of folk (and I tend to agree with them), that will assume this means your actually not very good at riding a bike????

Im all for clips, and ride them on everything from my commute bike, to my 170mm enduro rig, but do put flats on from time to time to practice skills. If you cannot bunny hop over a 2 litre coke bottle without “cheating” by using your pedals to pull the rear of the bike up, You need to learn, before going back to cleats. Just do it, and thank me later. 

pretty much every skills course/trainer I know of refuses to train you with cleats, and for very good reason. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment