Tech

Specialized champion ride experience with 5.9 kg S-Works Aethos

· By Press Office · 89 comments

Press release

The creation of our Aethos road bike started with a question: “What if?”

ccs-62657-0-40684200-1602155382.jpg

What if we built a bike focused around the purest imaginable road riding experience? What if we built a bike to maximize the timeless moments where everything disappears and human and machine become one. We all know these moments, the ones where we lose ourselves in the reverence of dancing up a climb or telepathically carving through a turn, where we feel liberated from the constraints that surround everyday life and the miles just melt into hours.

ccs-62657-0-38211400-1602173344.jpeg

The Ride Of Your Life

There are riders out there that yearn for more than racing, that see the experiences of the open road as an equivalent to toeing a start line. The demands of this sophisticated rider equal that of any racer, for where racers want for speed, these riders demand a package that accounts for everything else, too. Sprightly climbs towards the clouds, wicked descents on the other side—they demand superior handling and an unrivaled ride from a bike that’s the epitome of quality, performance, and style.

ccs-62657-0-27011000-1602155481.jpg

Break The Rules

While this endeavour would allow us to apply everything that we’ve learned about making bikes over the last half-century, the goal was not to adhere to any of our preconceived notions around building them. But where would this take us?

ccs-62657-0-17171000-1602156077.jpg

ccs-62657-0-20515200-1602156078.jpg
ccs-62657-0-21827600-1602157258.jpg

We’re as well-versed in the norms of cycling culture as we are in the rules of the UCI, after all, yet neither of these confines would have any bearing on our process. That’s because we see creating this instrument of transcendent bike experiences as being far more important.

It was hard for many people here to wrap their heads around a high-performance road bike that wasn’t focused on racing. We were afraid that the project would meet resistance and get cancelled, so our team worked in relative secrecy for over a year. No one knew about the project until the design was finalized, and we were making our first frames.
ROAD + GRAVEL CATEGORY LEADER – Stewart Thompson

ccs-62657-0-72518400-1602157876.jpg

Billions Of Calculations In Pursuit Of One Thing – The Perfect Ride

Flipping The Script On How We Build Bikes

We know that shape contributes to the vast majority of a bike’s performance, and that’s why Aethos was born from a “Eureka” moment in the test lab. Our engineers studied the flexing and breathing of carbon frames in the pedaling test rig, and they realized the industry’s understanding of how forces flow through a frame was incomplete and ripe for massive improvements. We used staggeringly large supercomputer simulations—more than any humans can do in a lifetime—to subtly alter round tube shapes. This made their shapes more conical in key areas to deliver huge gains in stiffness and balance with the minimum amount of material. There’s nothing extra here except more stability and integrity.

ccs-62657-0-47834000-1602155545.jpg

Just so we’re clear, this is a shape story of how and why the shapes work within this bike. The outcome of Aethos represents an entirely new way of designing bikes. Why’s this really cool? Because it will shape how we build all of our bikes moving forward.

No Lazy Fibers

Now, if the vast majority of the frame’s performance is dictated by shape, then the remainder plays itself out in the actual materials used and the manner in which they are connected—the frame’s layup.

ccs-62657-0-27358600-1602155735.png

Continuing to study how these frames move under load helped determine that there were too many “stiffness layers” (or extra plies) added in the creation of traditional frames. So, with these new tube shapes, we needed an entirely new way to lay-up frames. Thankfully, it’s one which resulted in reducing the number of needed plies by 11% compared to the S-Works SL6 (which was known for being pretty damn great already). By utilizing larger, longer, and more continuous, unbroken plies, we were able to achieve more consistent positioning than on any frame we’ve made before.

ccs-62657-0-41232000-1602155596.png
ccs-62657-0-37365300-1602155594.png
ccs-62657-0-38221300-1602155595.png

The interesting thing to note is that the wall thicknesses of the tubes, themselves, are substantial throughout the frame, but because of the smaller number of the stiffness layers, the overall weight went down significantly. The only thing along for the ride should be you.

The first frame was 545 grams. We put it on the test machine and the frame behaved so beautifully—it was so stable. We only had to add 10 grams, and we could test-ride the frame. That was the moment we knew we had discovered something big.
AETHOS ENGINEERING LEAD Peter Denk

Stiffness To Weight Number Defines Efficiency

ccs-62657-0-62185000-1602156226.png

Accidentally Illegal

We chased ride quality with Aethos, not a number. That said, we know a light, stiff, and balanced bike is magic at the pedals. The result, however, is the lightest disc road frame ever produced, with no gimmick builds and a weight as light as 5.9kg. Aethos is very illegal in some racing circles, yet it’s still rated for a 275-pound rider and possesses all the telepathic handling, response, and stiffness targets that you’ve come to expect from every bike we make. (Psst – don’t tell the UCI).

ccs-62657-0-87840200-1602156473.jpg

The New Modern Road Bike Greater Than The Sum Of Its Parts

To say that “everything has been considered with this bike” would be an understatement. We spent weeks upon weeks iterating, designing, and obsessing over every piece of the puzzle. But with the rider at the centre of the conversation, our goal was to make a bike that would fit your riding lifestyle— not the other way around.

ccs-62657-0-33266500-1602156547.jpgThreaded Bottom Bracket

ccs-62657-0-36966800-1602156545.jpg32mm Tire Clearance
ccs-62657-0-12377500-1602156546.jpg27.2mm Seatpost

Perfection Is In The Details

From dropouts to derailleur hangers, no gram was overlooked. The same can be said about the approach of our partners at Roval Components. They’ve been working towards the same North Star of ride quality, and the 1284-gram Alpinist wheels and new Alpinist bar/stem combo were tailor-made for Aethos and the ride of your life.

ccs-62657-0-20739400-1602156841.jpgAlpinist CLX

ccs-62657-0-26264700-1602156844.jpgRedesigned Thru Axle
ccs-62657-0-64506200-1602156842.jpgAlpinist Seatpost

Founder’s Edition

ccs-62657-0-31668200-1602157166.jpg

We celebrate every new platform we introduce with a Founder’s Edition. Limited to 300 bikes globally, this is the lightest build on offer, and it features an exclusive, stunning paint scheme with colour-matching finishes on some of the more unique parts. This S-Works Aethos includes the lightest Shimano Di2 componentry, the Roval Alpinist bar/stem combo cockpit (the first production bike to feature these), and upgraded CeramicSpeed bottom bracket and pulley wheels.

ccs-62657-0-43722000-1602157354.jpg

South African Availability and Pricing

The Aethos S-Works frame will be available at R80,000 and the Aethos S-Works Di2 complete bike for R200,000.

More details available on Specialized.com.

AETHOS FAQ

Is the new Aethos Rider-First Engineered™?

Yes. Every frame size has the same legendary climbing responsiveness and descending prowess you’d expect from any of our Performance road bikes.

How much does the Aethos weigh?

The S-Works Aethos uses our most premium FACT 12r material and layup to achieve a painted frame weight of 585g in the lightest colorways.

The complete out-of-the-box weight of the S-Works Di2 model is 6kg in the Carbon/Chameleon Red Gold colorway.

What about the different colourways?

The lightest frame colorway is the Satin Carbon/Jetfuel that weighs 585g. Other colorways will add roughly 25g (like Satin Carbon/Chameleon Red Gold or Satin Carbon/Gloss Black Chrome) to 45g (like Gloss Clay/Flake Silver or Satin Flake Silver/Chameleon Red Gold) more.

As a lightweight frame, is it still reliable?

Aethos represents a new way of thinking about how to engineer a bicycle frame–like all Specialized production frames, it must undergo stringent testing to ensure it meets all quality and safety standards. In fact, due to the optimization of the tube shapes and layup, the Aethos frame is exceptionally durable, even as a lightweight bicycle.

What is the geometry of the Aethos?

The Aethos features identical fit and handling geometry as the Tarmac SL7. Detailed measurements can be found in the geometry chart.

How is stack and reach measured on the Aethos?

Stack and reach are measured to the center of the top of the headtube, as is customary. Although these numbers are different than the Tarmac SL7, the fit geometry is identical between the two framesets.

What offset will the Roval Alpinist seatpost come in?

The Roval Alpinist seatpost is available in a 12mm offset and in 300mm and 360mm lengths. All complete bikes and framesets will be spec’d with this Roval Alpinist post.

What build configurations is the Aethos compatible with?

The Aethos is only compatible with hydraulic disc brakes. All models can be built with electronic drivetrains, but only the 10r framesets can be built with mechanical drivetrains.

Roval Alpinist Cockpit: Is it compatible?

The Roval Alpinist Cockpit is compatible with all Aethos models and framesets. It was designed as a bar/stem combo to reduce weight, while giving riders the fit and performance they expect. It will be available in 10 different sizes (as combinations of stem length and bar widths) by early 2021.

Alpinist Cockpit: Is there an integrated computer mount?

The new Alpinist Cockpit offers an integrated computer mount with compatible mounts for the following brands: Wahoo, Garmin, Polar, Cateye, and Bryton. Additionally, there is a mount designed around GoPro devices, Specialized Flux Lights, and a new mount designed for Specialized Stix lights.

What’s the largest tire size you can install on the Aethos?

Every Aethos comes spec’d with 700x26mm tires, however, the frame was designed with much larger clearance in mind. You can fit tires up to 32c on 21mm rims with 4mm of clearance all around. Of course, this is all still dependent on the exact tire and rim combination as there is quite a bit of variation among tires especially. We suggest that you check fitment of the tire before you take it out for a ride

Can I remove the Front Derailleur Hanger?

Yes! The Aethos has a removeable FD Hanger, which gives you the cleanest set-up when running a 1x drivetrain. If the FD Hanger is removed, a cover for the routing hole and two bolt holes is included with your Aethos. The hanger’s construction is different between the 12r and 10r frames, so please refer to the User Manual for proper installation.

Front brake caliper adaptor: Why is there a proprietary part?

All Aethos frames were engineered to maximize the performance potential in the pursuit of the perfect ride–this includes optimizing the front disc brake caliper mount for 160mm rotors only. In doing so, the engineering team designed a new adaptor plate designed to work with any flat mount caliper to reduce the weight of the fork, without sacrificing any stopping power or reliability.

Where is the Shimano Di2 A-Junction Box?

The Shimano A-Junction will be installed in the handlebar.

What are the other tech specs of the Aethos?

All Aethos models have a 68mm BSA threaded bottom bracket. The Aethos has 142×12 and 100×12 thru axles and follows the Shimano flat mount disc brake standard.

Will Specialized sponsored race teams use Aethos?

No. The Tarmac SL7 can be built and raced at the 6.8kg UCI weight limit and represents a significant aero advantage over Aethos.

Why is Aethos UCI approved?

Although the Aethos can be built and ridden well below the UCI weight limit, UCI frame approval is still very important. This approval allows riders to utilize the Aethos as they wish, as many amateur events across the world require participants to use a bike that is UCI approved. UCI rules also dictate that these bikes each have a label in a conspicuous location permanently adhered to the frame.

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

Wayne pudding Mol

Oct 8, 2020, 4:15 PM

Wow just 200 grand

Knersboy

Oct 8, 2020, 5:14 PM

It is like a super model, I am never gonna have one but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy looking at it.

Jewbacca

Oct 8, 2020, 5:35 PM

This bike is beautiful. I want one. I know I shouldn't want one, but I do.

Vetplant

Oct 8, 2020, 5:39 PM

Please Lotto..... Please pick my numbers... That's the only way I will ride this.

I like the explanation of the process.

It is what everyone has been waiting for, serious optimization of the carbon fibre layups.

Andreas_187

Oct 8, 2020, 5:45 PM

The first photo of someone overtaking the 5.9kg bike up a climb wins a prize!

Seriously though, it's a beautiful bike

DieselnDust

Oct 8, 2020, 5:50 PM

I just can't get excited about a bike that costs this much. I applaud the achievement but the price is just ....cynical

Rocket-Boy

Oct 8, 2020, 5:56 PM

The thing about this bike that does it for me, is that you know Specialized. 

You know their bikes are expensive and you know they are all about the marketing.

You also know that no matter how much you want to hate them, that they make some exceptional products.

Sure its not the lightest you can build and you could get the same weight for cheaper, but you are not going to make as complete a package as this bike.

I think its awesome.

Christie

Oct 8, 2020, 6:12 PM

Time for the UCI weight limit to go to 5 kg

shaper

Oct 8, 2020, 6:39 PM

Nice looking bike!

Perhaps the flood gates will now open and more bike manufacturers will go weight weenie on frames.

Will be interesting to see this development!

Andreas_187

Oct 8, 2020, 10:29 PM

The R200k S-Works is actually a claimed weight of 6.1kg. The Founders edition is 5.9kg but that will cost a staggering £13,000

Veebee

Oct 9, 2020, 6:18 AM

For much less, you can build this [which looks pretty much the same] with top spec lightweight carbon goodies, and get it well below 6kg.

https://www.chapter2bikes.com/range/huru/matt-orange

Frame - R60k landed

Gruppo - Sram Red 22 still about the lightest - R30k

Wheels / Bars / stem / saddle and few extra's - R60k

R50k in your pocket for another build :whistling:

Wayne pudding Mol

Oct 9, 2020, 6:21 AM

For much less, you can build this [which looks pretty much the same] with top spec lightweight carbon goodies, and get it well below 6kg.

Frame - R60k landed

but you can't tell your mates on the golf course that you have the most expensive Sworks on your Range Rover

Jewbacca

Oct 9, 2020, 6:29 AM

Frame - R60k landed

Isn't Chapter a catalogue bike?

I get what you are saying, but weight isn't the only metric that makes this bike 'cool'. 

One thing Spaz do very well is R and D. So their bikes work. Love to hate them, but they have bikes for all price points, most avenues of riding and pretty much all of them flex where they are meant to and don't where they are not supposed to.

One could definitely build a lighter bike. That Cannondale Alu frame built up at around 6kg with all the right bits.

Ride quality is also important, especially when you are paying so much.

I would choose this over a catalogue bike any day of the week. It has literally been designed from the ground up so that the cafe racers and social group riders can brag about their bike.

This bike makes no sense!

It isn't aero, it isn't race legal. It is purely an ego booster/superbike for a mamil.

That is why it pains me to admit that I want one, despite knowing that it will just highlight the lack of schlong in my bibshorts and make me feel like a hero while I climb one of Cape Town many fake hills slowly... But feeling like a hero nonetheless.

Kranswurm

Oct 9, 2020, 6:39 AM

Beautiful.Its a crime to put cages and bottles on it.

Pure Savage

Oct 9, 2020, 6:42 AM

Or you could just buy a Cannondale 2018 Super six evo for R30k.

Kranswurm

Oct 9, 2020, 6:49 AM

Or you could just buy a Cannondale 2018 Super six evo for R30k.

No comparison...sorry.

Pure Savage

Oct 9, 2020, 6:52 AM

No comparison...sorry.

Yeah, the Cannondale way sexier!

DieselnDust

Oct 9, 2020, 8:29 AM

Isn't Chapter a catalogue bike?

I get what you are saying, but weight isn't the only metric that makes this bike 'cool'. 

One thing Spaz do very well is R and D. So their bikes work. Love to hate them, but they have bikes for all price points, most avenues of riding and pretty much all of them flex where they are meant to and don't where they are not supposed to.

One could definitely build a lighter bike. That Cannondale Alu frame built up at around 6kg with all the right bits.

Ride quality is also important, especially when you are paying so much.

I would choose this over a catalogue bike any day of the week. It has literally been designed from the ground up so that the cafe racers and social group riders can brag about their bike.

This bike makes no sense!

It isn't aero, it isn't race legal. It is purely an ego booster/superbike for a mamil.

That is why it pains me to admit that I want one, despite knowing that it will just highlight the lack of schlong in my bibshorts and make me feel like a hero while I climb one of Cape Town many fake hills slowly... But feeling like a hero nonetheless.

Wat do you mean by "catalogue" bike?

Mike designs his bikes ground up. They're not open mould.

Jewbacca

Oct 9, 2020, 10:18 AM

Wat do you mean by "catalogue" bike?

Mike designs his bikes ground up. They're not open mould.

Sorry, I had them confused with Factor.

Those Chapter2 bikes from NZ do look cool.... bro....

My apologies. 

Although my sentiment still stands. I'm sure you could build the Spaz up lighter too. 

Either way the bike would still make no sense and would be a pure cock joust cafe ride Mamil transporter......

Wayne pudding Mol

Oct 9, 2020, 10:21 AM

My apologies. 

Although my sentiment still stands. I'm sure you could build the Spaz up lighter too. 

Either way the bike would still make no sense and would be a pure cock joust cafe ride Mamil transporter......

fortunately or perhaps unfortunately in the financial sense, making sense and bike purchasing don't go together

Except for the very few sane and reasonable hubbers

Veebee

Oct 9, 2020, 11:02 AM

Thats just the thing, these Spez bikes being launched are just for a select market... or maybe not.

Its crazy how many of these high end bikes are out there.

But

For many of us its just about being "smarter" with our money and building something to similar spec at a fraction of what these "Superbikes" costs.

Veebee

Oct 9, 2020, 11:04 AM

My apologies. 

I have one of these NZ bikes, the C2 Tere. they are cool and stand out, not many in SA yet. I know a few being built in Jozi and will be on the roads soon.

Paulst12

Oct 9, 2020, 11:06 AM

For pretty much the same price i would rather buy the S-Works SL7. 
Better all round bike. That said its different strokes for different folks so if you want lightness in Specialized then they have that spot on. Just a pity you will have to add weight to race any licensed event. Thats like repainting a Picasso to fit the model style of a house.

Jewbacca

Oct 9, 2020, 11:19 AM

fortunately or perhaps unfortunately in the financial sense, making sense and bike purchasing don't go together

Except for the very few sane and reasonable hubbers

For sure... I mean, I own a 20" minivelo set up with full road gears.

I love the fact that it makes no sense. I love the fact that Spez have purposefully built a bike that does not conform to any UCI standards, can't be raced, isn't aero but still costs 200k.

It is ridiculous and it is silly and it is awesome.

I have one of these NZ bikes, the C2 Tere. they are cool and stand out, not many in SA yet. I know a few being built in Jozi and will be on the roads soon.

Lucky.... I'm too busy trying to ride a sub3 argust on a 20" bike or buying oil and head gaskets for my land rover to own a real bike....... 

Maybe one day when I'm big!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment