Tech

Specialized expand e-bike range with Turbo Levo trail bike

· By Press Office · 73 comments

Pedal assist high-performance trail bikes open up mountain biking to new riders and reinvigorate existing riders by making the tallest mountains feel more like mole hills. Specialized Bicycle Components expands highly acclaimed Turbo pedal-assist family to include trail bikes.

ccs-62657-0-72880500-1436253819.jpg

Introducing the Specialized Turbo Levo line, designed from the ground up to integrate pedal-assist technology into a dedicated trail riding platform. Unlike some bikes currently on the market, the Turbo Levo is not simply a mountain bike with an electronic drivetrain grafted in as an afterthought, each Turbo Levo is a flagship trail bike, seamlessly integrating pedal-assist capability and range with legendary Specialized MTB DNA, with a focus on the three key elements of handling, integration, and range.

ccs-62657-0-70151500-1436253823.jpg
ccs-62657-0-92535900-1436253821.jpg
ccs-62657-0-28342000-1436253826.jpg

Handling is delivered courtesy of Specialized’s proven trail geometry. Integration comes in the form of a battery and motor that disappear into the design of the bike. Range is provided thanks to the pedal assist drivetrain, allowing riders to go farther with less effort.

When paired to a mobile device through the Mission Control App. (available for both iOS and Android), the Turbo Levo also offers a broad set of features such as Full Pro Navigation, connectivity to other popular apps like Strava & Apple Health. Worried about running out of battery? “Smart Control” lets you choose your destination, automatically adjusting battery consumption, so all you have to worry about is riding.

ccs-62657-0-08934000-1436253828.jpg

These bikes are unbelievably and undeniably fun for any mountain biker. For the seasoned trail rider, you will be able to climb faster and rip more descents in the same amount of time as your pedal bike. For those riders that have been injured or whose personal internal “motors” are not as young as they once were, you will be the first among your friends at the top of the hill while able to ride farther to get more enjoyment from the trail. That’s what it is all about, enjoying the trail.

ccs-62657-0-93294800-1436253817.jpg
ccs-62657-0-73214500-1436253815.jpg
ccs-62657-0-72158900-1436253816.jpg

To be clear, the Turbo Levo is a trail bike with pedal assist Turbo Technology, not an electric bike or motorcycle with a throttle. Some riders and trail users may not be as excited that you and your Turbo Levo are sharing the trails with them. Please be aware of the rules and laws of your local trails.

The exciting new Turbo Levo line will be available in Spring 2016.

Specialized Turbo Levo review:

Read our full review of the Specialized S-Works Turbo Levo FSR 6Fattie here.

Related posts

Comments

Hairy

Jul 7, 2015, 7:54 AM

"To be clear, the Turbo Levo is a trail bike with pedal assist Turbo Technology, not an electric bike or motorcycle with a throttle. Some riders and trail users may not be as excited that you and your Turbo Levo are sharing the trails with them. Please be aware of the rules and laws of your local trails."

I am one of those trail riders who will not be happy seeing bikes with pedal assist on the trails....call it what you like, it is an e-bike seeing as it it propelled with a motor of sorts from a battery cell.

nonky

Jul 7, 2015, 8:26 AM

this THING makes it so easy to go uphill, you don't even need pedals...

NicoBoshoff

Jul 7, 2015, 8:30 AM

It's almost like a bike, with a motor.  What do you call those again?

Really confused why Spez would spend R&D money on this.  How does this take bike tech forward?

I'm all for innovation, but what is this innovating?  What problem is being solved other than making it easier for people to climb up stuff they struggled with because they were either too lazy or too unskilled to manage before.

It's also not good enough to say, well this allows you to climb up stuff that was unclimable before, because that implies either DH trails being used to climb up on or riding stuff that isn't open as a trail to start with.

It's not about the trail you condescending marketing scumbag.  This is the Mavericks of bikes.  If you are the guy leaving a strip club thinking those girls really, truly like you, this is the bike for you my friend.

NicoBoshoff

Jul 7, 2015, 8:37 AM

The VitalMTB review had the perfect "quote" (pretty sure it was an incentivised statement).  It went something like "Struggling to carry enough speed out of that corner?  Just give it two pedal strokes and you're clearing that double with ease."

So basically:  "Too little talent to otherwise ride that technical trail?  Get a motor for your bike and look like a shredder.  Nobody will notice and you will still know in your heart of hearts that you are special."

NicoBoshoff

Jul 7, 2015, 8:38 AM

FWIW, everyone knows I am a huge Spez fanboy, but this is just so patently stupid.

Showtime

Jul 7, 2015, 8:38 AM

Really confused why Spez would spend R&D money on this.  How does this take bike tech forward?

I'm all for innovation, but what is this innovating?  What problem is being solved other than making it easier for people to climb up stuff they struggled with because they were either too lazy or too unskilled to manage before.

It's also not good enough to say, well this allows you to climb up stuff that was unclimable before, because that implies either DH trails being used to climb up on or riding stuff that isn't open as a trail to start with.

It's not about the trail you condescending marketing scumbag.  This is the Mavericks of bikes.  If you are the guy leaving a strip club thinking those girls really, truly like you, this is the bike for you my friend.

There are many usage scenarios that make sense. 

First example would be spending time with your girlfriend / wife / dad enjoying the countryside / trails. You get to pedal hard enough to get the training stimulus while also sharing the time and experience with somebody you wouldn't otherwise be able to. 

Hairy

Jul 7, 2015, 8:51 AM

There are many usage scenarios that make sense. 

First example would be spending time with your girlfriend / wife / dad enjoying the countryside / trails. You get to pedal hard enough to get the training stimulus while also sharing the time and experience with somebody you wouldn't otherwise be able to. 

keep this thing on gravel roads where required skill levels required should match those that a newbie should be able to cope with or a 96 year old grandpa can feel comfortable on.

Showtime

Jul 7, 2015, 9:07 AM

keep this thing on gravel roads where required skill levels required should match those that a newbie should be able to cope with or a 96 year old grandpa can feel comfortable on.

At a second glance the geometry does look a bit serious for a casual day's cruising. 

Still if someone wants to enjoy the forest etc they have my blessing. If someone plans to shred the local trails they shouldn't use this.

mikeonthetown

Jul 7, 2015, 9:09 AM

Remember, not all bikes are made for SA, nor the purpose we use them for. I can imagine that this bike could help guys in Europe tackle some crazy mountains.

Strangely this doesn't bother me near as much as guys who buy fat bikes. Fat bikes are made for seriously soft sand and snow, its like putting tire chains on your car. 

Hairy

Jul 7, 2015, 9:13 AM

Remember, not all bikes are made for SA, nor the purpose we use them for. I can imagine that this bike could help guys in Europe tackle some crazy mountains.

Strangely this doesn't bother me near as much as guys who buy fat bikes. Fat bikes are made for seriously soft sand and snow, its like putting tire chains on your car. 

interesting thought for you ...... I think a fat bike tyre causes less damage to the trail than an XC width tyre.

Showtime

Jul 7, 2015, 9:15 AM

I had a quick look at the battery specs of the existing Spez Turbo bikes. 500Wh is more than I would have thought.

You would be able to do an entire 2h ride without pedaling unless I'm missing something.

_C50_

Jul 7, 2015, 9:18 AM

During this years Gravel & Grape stage race there was a guy who had a mtb with "pedal assist". Don't recall the brand name however. I think the electrical system was Bosch though. 

Reason he was on it was because of some health issue, he was not allowed to get his heart rate above a certain number. If I remember correctly. 

I don't remember all the details but the control unit picks up his heart rate and would actually automatically activate the motor once his HR reached a certain number.

The bike was pretty darn heavy as well. Also think he had to carry a spare battery with him as the battery only lasted a x-amount of time. The weight of the bike made handling rather difficult.

I thought it was pretty awesome that he could enjoy the sport despite the health problem that he has. 

For a normal, perfectly healthy person jumping on one of these, I don't know so much. That would be like ordering a diet coke with your super size McDonalds meal, or something. 

CleatsnCleavage

Jul 7, 2015, 9:19 AM

This bike offends me. 

Squier

Jul 7, 2015, 10:14 AM

Wow! Now fat people can ride bikes up mountains without worrying about that pesky thing called "weight loss".  

Showtime

Jul 7, 2015, 10:29 AM

Wow! Now fat people can ride bikes up mountains without worrying about that pesky thing called "weight loss".  

It's better than sitting in front of the tv. Maybe it's a place to start where it previously seemed hopeless? Pedal 10% today and 20% next month.

The larger cycling demographic is more than just the South African racing snakes.

Skylark

Jul 7, 2015, 10:43 AM

One advantage is conserving all your energy for going down the hills, fast, this could just allow more downhill time if you were that way inclined. At many spots getting to the top of the run/trails is so exhausting you can only do it once. But as with any thing, now there is another expensive bit to break and maintain, nah.

KingTJ

Jul 7, 2015, 10:45 AM

wonder if these will be allowed in the enduro races soon? :ph34r:

Pure Savage

Jul 7, 2015, 10:51 AM

I really cannot see the problem everyone has with pedal assist. You don't have to put it on your bike, are you worried about your strava times? Are you worried about trails being wrecked by extra weight, this means all people over 100kg should be banned from trails?

It has nothing to do with you, so what is the problem?

The more people you get on a bike, the more people that will start commuting or understanding bikes and there will be one or two less people hating on bikers when they drive their cars.

Maybe people will even stop parking in the green cycle lanes in Bree street :P

Matchstix

Jul 7, 2015, 10:59 AM

And the more downhill's will be clogged by riders that can't descent, but can "power" the hills all the way to the top.

Unfortunately the pedal assist won't make you faster on the downhill. . . Letting go of your brakes assists with that.

Pure Savage

Jul 7, 2015, 11:02 AM

And the more downhill's will be clogged by riders that can't descent, but can "power" the hills all the way to the top. Unfortunately the pedal assist won't make you faster on the downhill. . . Letting go of your brakes assists with that.

If someone is able to ride the same single track 4 times a day instead of once a day, surely they would get better faster and then not get in the way?

Hairy

Jul 7, 2015, 11:04 AM

If someone is able to ride the same single track 4 times a day instead of once a day, surely they would get better faster and then not get in the way?

You are assuming that they have not killed themselves on the first single track.....You know because they are new to this mtb thing and just cruising atoms on their new pedal assist bike wherever they wish
Pure Savage

Jul 7, 2015, 11:08 AM

You are assuming that they have not killed themselves on the first single track.....You know because they are new to this mtb thing and just cruising atoms on their new pedal assist bike wherever they wish

I have no problem with people killing themselves, as long as its caught on a gopro.

I wonder if anyone has a UCI accredited pedal assist MTB coaching clinic yet? :whistling:

Fisan

Jul 7, 2015, 11:10 AM

Specialized selling bikes to the unskilled? Whats new!?   :ph34r:

Nick

Jul 7, 2015, 11:13 AM

I've tried a few low specced e-bikes, they were fun, but I can't wait to get a chance to try a proper electric mountain bike like this Spez. Looks like buckets of fun. There, I said it.  :lol:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment