Tech

SRAM acquires Hammerhead cycling computers

Supplied by SRAM.

· By Press Office · 14 comments

SRAM, one of the world’s leading bicycle component manufacturers, announced today the acquisition of Hammerhead, a leading cycling technology company and maker of the Karoo 2 cycling computer. Hammerhead will join SRAM’s portfolio of brands and will continue to develop its Karoo product line under the SRAM portfolio. The companies completed the transaction on December 30, 2021.

Karoo2_onWhite.jpg

SRAM saw tremendous potential in Hammerhead after the award-winning cycling GPS computer (the Karoo 2) hit the market in late 2020 and landed on the handlebars of many of the world’s top athletes. In just the last year, Hammerhead achieved 7x revenue growth and their community of riders have clocked over a million hours of gravel, concrete, and trails covered.

SRAM’s broad range of wireless AXS components are technology leaders that have pushed the capabilities and expanded the range of bikes in road, triathlon, mountain, and gravel. Additionally, SRAM is known for their extensive range of complementary cycling brands, including RockShox suspension, Zipp wheels and handlebars, TIME Sport pedals, TRUVATIV bars and cranks, and Quarq power technology.

Together, SRAM and Hammerhead will continue to develop an innovative cycling technology platform ensuring riders can seamlessly integrate with a wide variety of existing hardware and software products and services including both Shimano and SRAM electronic shifting.

Lifestyle8.jpg

“Hammerhead is an amazing brand with award-winning products, and we do not plan on changing anything about how they innovate,” said SRAM’s VP of Growth, Clint Weber. “We are excited about this acquisition and excited that their team will continue to design, manufacture, and sell technology and quality leading head units that work with every brand of drivetrain.”

“The brand fit is seamless, and they are driven by the same principles as SRAM, which is innovation that improves the cycling experience. We are excited at what the future holds,” said SRAM CEO, Ken Lousberg.

Pieter Morgan, CEO and co-founder of Hammerhead says, “Hammerhead has always been focused on building the world’s best cycling computer. Joining the SRAM portfolio allows us to innovate and expand even more rapidly, and ultimately deliver a better riding experience for cyclists.”

Hammerhead will remain a stand-alone brand within the SRAM portfolio allowing the brand to continue to build upon its innovative product. Moving forward, Hammerhead will connect the cycling experience, continue with their athlete and team roster, and work with SRAM to identify future opportunities.

East Wind Advisors advised Hammerhead on this transaction.

Consumers, dealers, and distributors will continue to utilize Hammerhead’s traditional communication channels for sales, service, and warranty.

Tags: ,

Related posts

Comments

DJuice

Jan 19, 2022, 4:04 PM

Quick return on investment for Chris Froome. 

Wayne pudding Mol

Jan 19, 2022, 4:55 PM

48 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Quick return on investment for Chris Froome. 

Certainly more than he’s made in prize money recently 

I was also going to go for “Chris makes better investments than Israel start up”…..which I now have 😂

News bot

Jan 19, 2022, 6:21 PM

SRAM, one of the world’s leading bicycle component manufacturers, announced today the acquisition of Hammerhead, a leading cycling technology company and maker of the Karoo 2 cycling computer. Hammerhead will join SRAM’s portfolio of brands and will continue to develop its Karoo product line under the SRAM portfolio. The companies completed the transaction on December 30, 2021.

View full article

DieselnDust

Jan 19, 2022, 7:21 PM

Lance is also an investor in Hammerhead and was /is a small shareholder in SRAM too. He seems to have a knack of f minding a good investment. Maybe The Move can also do investment podcasts 

mecheng89

Jan 20, 2022, 5:46 AM

So when does that mean we can purchase over here? Thing looks dope. They have a pretty nifty comparison tab on their website where they compare their unit to several top-of-the-range units from other brands. 

Shebeen

Jan 20, 2022, 6:16 AM

The karoo name was not a coincidence - another jaapie doing well in the tech space. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/pietermorgan/

JA-Q001

Jan 20, 2022, 6:38 AM

Didn't Froome buy into the company last year?

So he got a quick ROT or maybe ISN will maybe be on SRAM soon.

splat

Jan 20, 2022, 6:58 AM

11 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Lance is also an investor in Hammerhead and was /is a small shareholder in SRAM too. He seems to have a knack of f minding a good investment. Maybe The Move can also do investment podcasts 

Wasn't he also an early investor in Uber?
I seem to remember he did well on that. After he paid back all the legal fees and settlements, he was a bit low on cash and seems to be doing OK now.

DieselnDust

Jan 20, 2022, 7:01 AM

1 minute ago, splat said:

Wasn't he also an early investor in Uber?
I seem to remember he did well on that. After he paid back all the legal fees and settlements, he was a bit low on cash and seems to be doing OK now.

Indeed he was/is. That investment allowed him to maintain a good lifestyle and start The Move podcast 

Rocket-Boy

Jan 20, 2022, 10:47 AM

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Indeed he was/is. That investment allowed him to maintain a good lifestyle and start The Move podcast 

Oh to have that much money that you need to find things to invest in to spend some of it...

Furbz

Jan 20, 2022, 10:53 AM

i have the Hammerhead Karoo 2 and its a Garmin Killer of a device.

around R7500 landed bought directly from the webpage.

2 years warranty vs Garmins 1 year.

Better screen

Constant tangible software updates.

Ability to side load apps, Apple music, Spotify, Zwift Companion and Zwift itself, the list goes on.

Battery life is not as good - but lasts 2x 4 hour rides on my weekend. so its good enough. 

i'm a real fan so far

DieselnDust

Jan 20, 2022, 11:03 AM

8 minutes ago, Furbz said:

i have the Hammerhead Karoo 2 and its a Garmin Killer of a device.

around R7500 landed bought directly from the webpage.

2 years warranty vs Garmins 1 year.

Better screen

Constant tangible software updates.

Ability to side load apps, Apple music, Spotify, Zwift Companion and Zwift itself, the list goes on.

Battery life is not as good - but lasts 2x 4 hour rides on my weekend. so its good enough. 

i'm a real fan so far

Sold,

Anyone want to pre buy a Garmin Edge 1030

Frosty

Jan 21, 2022, 10:56 AM

23 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Sold,

Anyone want to pre buy a Garmin Edge 1030

I’m thinking about it; getting the Hammerhead, not your 1030.

michaelbiker

Jan 26, 2022, 4:30 AM

I have one too. Came from a Wahoo Bolt. I used it a lot to get know my way around Singapore. It’s an amazing device. It even takes a SIM card which is great for side loading things like WhatsApp or just navigation in general  

Mapping and it’s display are its strong points. It beats the Wahoo Roam and Bolt by a country mile for nav. Setup is also really easy  

Size and the weird mount I would say are it’s weak points. I had to buy 2 different mounts for my bikes. The mount system is better than the quarter turn system,  it’s just hard to find good third party options.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment