Tech

Stages Cycling is the power meter supplier to Team Sky for 2016

· By Press Office · 9 comments

Stages Cycling is pleased to announce its continued supply of power meters to the defending Tour de France champions, Team Sky, in 2016. This next year represents the third season in which Team Sky will ride Stages Power, further solidifying the manufacturer’s position at the top of the power measurement category.

ccs-62657-0-34049500-1452238279.jpg

“As more and more players crowd the power segment, our constant developmental contact with Team Sky is a main factor in our differentiation and leadership in the category,” said Pat Warner, Stages vice president. “We treat every new year with Team Sky as an opportunity to make our products even better—2016 is no different.”

Team Sky will ride the second-generation Shimano Dura-Ace Stages Power meters that the Team helped vet for the retail market in 2015. As the Team strives to better their performance on the tarmac of the World Tour, Stages will continue to strive for its own marginal gains in the product it manufactures and sells to riders.

“We took a chance on Stages Cycling in 2014, and we were delighted with the results” said Carsten Jeppesen, Head of Technical Operations for Team Sky. “We proved their product meets our needs and they offered us great support. Even in the worst conditions this year, the new Stages meter was always reliable, consistent and accurate.”

ccs-62657-0-78848000-1452238278.jpg

“Look at the success Team Sky had in 2015 with the Stages Power meter,” said Matt Pacocha, Stages marketing manager. “They won the Tour de France, and a second individual world time trial championship with this technology. We’re up to 11 world championship titles across our many cycling sponsorships, and there are very few meter manufacturers that can compete with our success on the racecourse. We feel this is continued proof that our system is more relevant and reliable than ever, for every rider looking to improve their performance on their bike.”

“For Team Sky, the Stages Power meter is one of our most valuable coaching tools,” said Tim Kerrison, Team Sky’s head of Athlete Performance. “And Stages continues to be a great partner that meets the needs of cyclists at all levels—from the amateur enthusiast who wishes to use power data to better inform and refine their training, to catering to what Team Sky needs at the highest level of professional road cycling.”

Stages Power meters featuring the new—Team Sky proven—generation-two housing are on sale now with models available for all disciplines of cycling. The new meter is slimmer, sleeker and stronger than the first generation meter, not to mention available at a new, more economical, price.

Stages plan to begin shipping carbon power meter models before the end of 2015.

Comments

Jaco-fiets

Jan 8, 2016, 9:33 PM

I find it odd that someone like Froome would be happy with one sided power measuring. Especially for somebody focusing on climbing he would need accurate measuring on both legs. Just wondering.....

raptor-22

Jan 8, 2016, 11:35 PM

He is well trained. He won't have big imbalance

GLuvsMtb

Jan 9, 2016, 4:21 AM

I find it odd that someone like Froome would be happy with one sided power measuring. Especially for somebody focusing on climbing he would need accurate measuring on both legs. Just wondering.....

they'll use square wheels if you pay them enough to do so.
raptor-22

Jan 9, 2016, 10:28 AM

Do you cycle?

Patchelicious

Jan 9, 2016, 11:13 AM

They have been using Stages for a while already, what's the big news.....

Butterbean

Jan 9, 2016, 11:14 AM

What most people don't understand is that almost all of the crank based meters are one sided measuring devices. They are simply able to less accurately measure the other side via estimation of force, despite the strain gauges only being on one side of the device. SRM, power2max, etc are all one sided. They just display the opposite side. I think pioneer is the only truly double sided meter on the market (despite recovering athletes on team sky using prototype dual sided stages meters). Even power2max executives have admitted that "dual sided" measurement is simply a marketing scheme and that one sided is all that is necessary. Let's also not forget that SRM has constantly denied any use for a two sided measuring power meter, and that they will not pursue development of such.

I had a power2max, and all that meter does is put your mind at ease that you're not lopsided. Since I know that now, I've switched to stages as it's far less issue, much more stealth, and astheticaly pleasing. Add to that the revised design on the new pods and they're a pretty remarkable package. And the power measurement is just as reliable for the everyday rider, and clearly for the Pro riders too.

Jaco-fiets

Jan 9, 2016, 11:24 AM

What most people don't understand is that almost all of the crank based meters are one sided measuring devices. They are simply able to less accurately measure the other side via estimation of force, despite the strain gauges only being on one side of the device. SRM, power2max, etc are all one sided. They just display the opposite side. I think pioneer is the only truly double sided meter on the market (despite recovering athletes on team sky using prototype dual sided stages meters). Even power2max executives have admitted that "dual sided" measurement is simply a marketing scheme and that one sided is all that is necessary. Let's also not forget that SRM has constantly denied any use for a two sided measuring power meter, and that they will not pursue development of such.

I had a power2max, and all that meter does is put your mind at ease that you're not lopsided. Since I know that now, I've switched to stages as it's far less issue, much more stealth, and astheticaly pleasing. Add to that the revised design on the new pods and they're a pretty remarkable package. And the power measurement is just as reliable for the everyday rider, and clearly for the Pro riders too.

Thanks for sharing!! Probably one of the best answers I have received to a question on hub

Heisenberg89

Feb 19, 2016, 9:37 AM

Have used this and is very interrresting. Yet with too many gadgets comes to many numbers. Its valuable only when your really understand what the numbers mean to you specifically

JA-Q001

Feb 19, 2016, 9:55 AM

The way that you are stating it it sound like you are saying that all of them just measure one leg and estimates the other. So just to clarify, all powermeters that measure from the spider onwards to the hub, measures both legs power output, or total power supplied to the wheel. If they offer a reading that displays left/right balance, then that is only estimated, basically the total that it measures is devised in 2 with a ratio calculated by the amount of force applied in a certain area around you pedaling circle.

So, SRM, P2M, Quarq, powertap (blades and hub) and of coarse dual sided pedals like garmin, powertap, pioneer, gives the most accurate reading of your true amount of power put out. Stages isnt as accurate on that metric, but does give a constant reading, at say 2% below what the others will show. Interestingly, someone like Froome would have a lower % of deviation, because he has a higher cadence, meaning that the force measured has a smaller effect on the Watts number.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment