Tech

Stan’s NoTubes introduces high-performance Race Sealant

· By Press Office · 30 comments

Stan’s NoTubes is excited to introduce a new sealant, a new in-house R&D division and a new logo as it celebrates 15 years in business.

Created by Stan’s Racing Development (SRD), the new high-performance Race Sealant has been designed for and tested by top racers in the most demanding conditions around the globe, and it’s now available to riders everywhere. It’s the next level of sealing power from the company that invented tubeless conversion.

“When everything is on the line, this is the sealant you want in your tires,” said Stan Koziatek, Founder and Owner of Stan’s NoTubes. “We’ve worked with the pros to create a sealant that seals more quickly and more reliably, meaning less air is lost during punctures so you can get to the finish line faster.”

ccs-62657-0-40828800-1455606298.jpg
ccs-62657-0-82254700-1455606298.jpg

Behind the Scenes with Stan’s Racing Development (SRD)

If you’ve ever walked through the mechanics’ pits at any national or international event, chances are you’ve seen them: trademark Stan’s NoTubes black quart bottles with no labels. If you had looked closer, you might have seen strange symbols scrawled all over the bottles with a silver marker. They were the letters, numbers and sealant formula notes of the man himself, Stan Koziatek.

From cross country and downhill mountain biking to cyclocross, a passion for racing has always been a driving force for Stan’s NoTubes’ products. Stan’s Racing Development (SRD) is a new in-house division created to pursue high-performance, race-oriented products developed and tested through the rigors of professional racing at the highest levels. SRD products are the embodiment of all of the time spent determining how to shave tenths of a second from the clock by developing the absolute best equipment that provides our athletes with an advantage on race day.

Stan’s NoTubes new Race Sealant is the first SRD product we’re making available.

ccs-62657-0-13393200-1455606299.jpg

About the new Race Sealant

For more than 14 years, Stan’s NoTubes has been quietly formulating a special racing version of our legendary sealant for many of cycling’s most successful teams. Working with athletes who push themselves and their tubeless systems to the absolute limit, we developed a proprietary sealant formula we call Race Sealant.

Race Sealant starts with the same premium low-viscosity latex blend that we developed when we invented tubeless conversion 15 years ago. Like our standard sealant, new Race Sealant is formulated to perform in temperatures as low as -30 degrees Fahrenheit (-34.4 degrees Celsius) to let you ride where and when you want. Of course, we also used natural materials to ensure that our sealant is non-toxic, non-hazardous and safe for humans and the environment.

The key difference is the amount and type of sealing crystals used in creating Race Sealant. With nearly twice the amount of our standard sealing crystals, plus additional “XL” crystals capable of sealing even larger punctures, Race Sealant is designed for maximum sealing power. The combination of new larger and more smaller crystals interlock to form a lattice work that not only seals punctured tires faster but also strengthens and reinforces them.

Racers love our Race Sealant because it’s lighter, works faster, and seals even larger punctures.

“Stan’s Race Sealant allows us to use less sealant and get the same performance,” said current U.S. Cross Country and Short Track Mountain Bike National Champion Chloe Woodruff of the Stan’s NoTubes-Pivot Team. “Race Sealant gives us an edge over the competition because it’s lighter and highly effective.”

ccs-62657-0-15968200-1455606298.jpgStan’s NoTubes Crest wheels filled with the new Race Sealant.

Race Sealant is different from our traditional sealant in that it must be installed directly into the tire. The quantity and size of its crystals in our new special formula will clog injectors and smaller bottles almost immediately.

Luna Chix Pro Team Mechanic Dusty Labarr said, “Stan’s NoTubes Race Sealant is the most important item on my checklist of things to take to every race. It’s essential for a great ride. It doesn’t matter if you are trying to get on the podium at Worlds or are just trying to make it back to the truck before it gets dark. If you have Stan’s Race Sealant in your tires, you’re going to get there.”

Timeline: 15 years of Stan’s NoTubes

2016 marks 15 years in business for Stan’s NoTubes. It all started in 2001, when owner Stan Koziatek started selling his soon-to-be-famous sealant and tubeless conversion kits, which became popular among mountain bikers sick of changing flats in their traditional tube-filled tires. Before long, Stan’s NoTubes was also designing tubeless wheels and wheelsets for riders of all disciplines around the world, and the product line now includes tubeless-ready wheels for mountain bikes and road bikes.

ccs-62657-0-07059800-1455606458.jpgStan’s NoTubes new logo, shown here on the kit of U.S. Cross Country and Short Track Mountain Bike National Champion Chloe Woodruff (Stan’s NoTubes-Pivot MTB Team). Credit: Stan’s NoTubes-Pivot MTB Team.

Here’s a quick look at the history of Stan’s NoTubes:

• Stan Koziatek begins experimenting with liquid sealant as a replacement for inner tubes.

• First batches of sealant are tested by riders like Thomas Frischknecht on the World Cup circuit.

• Stan Koziatek begins selling sealant and conversion kits.

• Stan Koziatek begins developing a rim.

• First alloy ZTR Rims are sold.

• First BST rim is tested by riders: Marie-Hélène Prémont wins a silver medal using Stan’s NoTubes sealant and Sabine Spitz wins a bronze medal using both the sealant and prototype rim at Athens Olympics.

• Olympic rim with Bead Socket Technology (BST) becomes available.
  • Flow and Arch alloy rims and wheels are released.

• First alloy road tubeless rims get released.

• Valor, Stan’s NoTubes first carbon fiber rim with Bead Socket Technology (BST), is released.

• Neo hub design is tested by riders.

• New Neo hub system is introduced.
  • Bravo carbon fiber trail wheelset is launched.
  • Avion carbon fiber road wheelset is released, marking the official introduction of BST-R rims designed to handle special requirements of road tubeless.

• Stan’s Racing Development program is unveiled.
  • Stan’s NoTubes Race Sealant is introduced.

Comments

Meezo

Feb 16, 2016, 7:17 AM

let me guess R1000 for 950ml

raptor-22

Feb 16, 2016, 7:22 AM

Brilliant!

my Buddy and I first ordered his sealant and conversion kits way back in 2001 and I've been using his products since. We've been tubeless since. Stan is a super nice guy to deal with.

T used his ZTR Olympic rims way back in the 2005 Cape Epic and those wheels held up to a lot of abuse despite a lot of sceptism from many mechanics. 

Superb products that have often been copied by the more conservative and less innovative.

Chapeau Stan's Notubes. One of the best brands in the industry started with a bottle of liquid and a strip of 3M fibre tape.

raptor-22

Feb 16, 2016, 7:23 AM

with current exchange rate it's not beyond the realm of possibility

nonky

Feb 16, 2016, 7:26 AM

The stuff works.  'Nuff said.

Meezo

Feb 16, 2016, 7:43 AM

The stuff works.  'Nuff said.

that's the problem, it doesn't have to be R1000 but we know it works, I'm not arguing with that... so they can change R1000!

the same debut is made on the first page of the YT bikes launched in SA threads... anyway!

the DIY stans the future!

Shebeen

Feb 16, 2016, 7:48 AM

singlehandedly rid us of one of the most irritating parts of cycling....the man does deserve every Bells he gets.

except when the fr#$% tyre won't seat, then he gets sworn at. but only then!

I do however think he has totally overpriced his sealant product, because we all know how cheap the inputs are with ghetto home mixes. So I'm not a 100% supporter at the till!

Shebeen

Feb 16, 2016, 7:50 AM

and these frikken videos!

V12man

Feb 16, 2016, 8:00 AM

What would be really useful for their techs to develop is a detergent that removes dried sealant from cycling kit...

nonky

Feb 16, 2016, 8:04 AM

What would be really useful for their techs to develop is a detergent that removes dried sealant from cycling kit...

the pearl necklace?

IH8MUD

Feb 16, 2016, 8:05 AM

Will this "new"  Stan's be less likely to make the a-morphic lumps rolling around in the tire? 

And no . . . I never use CO2 bombs in inflate or seat a tire, only a good quality Birzman floor pump. 

nonky

Feb 16, 2016, 8:06 AM

singlehandedly rid us of one of the most irritating parts of cycling....the man does deserve every Bells he gets.

except when the fr#$% tyre won't seat, then he gets sworn at. but only then!

I do however think he has totally overpriced his sealant product, because we all know how cheap the inputs are with ghetto home mixes. So I'm not a 100% supporter at the till!

Ja, it's ####### expensive.  

The thing is that you NEVER even think about the stuff that works.  

It's the crappy stuff that fails which ruins your ride, your mood, your day...

Put in stans, pump tyre, forget & ride.

GLuvsMtb

Feb 16, 2016, 8:12 AM

Will this "new" much Stan's make less of the a-morphic lumps rolling around in the tire? 

And no . . . I never use CO2 bombs in inflate or seat a tire, only a good quality Birzman floor pump. 

Try a topeak floor pump. Quality seeks quality...

no but seriously. I check and replace my sealant every 4 to 6 months and have had very few "Marsians" in 9 years of using the product. How often do you replace your sealant?

IH8MUD

Feb 16, 2016, 8:20 AM

Try a topeak floor pump. Quality seeks quality...

no but seriously. I check and replace my sealant every 4 to 6 months and have had very few "Marsians" in 9 years of using the product. How often do you replace your sealant?

I  used to get them every time I seat a new tire and used Stan's. 

After taking it out and refilling with. . . they normally do not come back. 

I now use Sludge . . . I do not believe it seals any better than Stan's (Stan's does work good), but I never get any "Marsians"

Stan's also only lasted about month or maximum two. Then time to top up. 

Perhaps the dry weather and "moer baie dorings"  here?

(Duwweltjies do NOT  count as thorns)

http://www.kyffhauser.co.za/Plants3/Dichrostachys_cinerea_var_africana/Image1.jpg

V12man

Feb 16, 2016, 9:49 AM

the pearl necklace?

More like a bib....

Shebeen

Feb 16, 2016, 10:15 AM

I  used to get them every time I seat a new tire and used Stan's. 

After taking it out and refilling with. . . they normally do not come back. 

I now use Sludge . . . I do not believe it seals any better than Stan's (Stan's does work good), but I never get any "Marsians"

Stan's also only lasted about month or maximum two. Then time to top up. 

Perhaps the dry weather and "moer baie dorings"  here?

(Duwweltjies do NOT  count as thorns)

http://www.kyffhauser.co.za/Plants3/Dichrostachys_cinerea_var_africana/Image1.jpg

well i got 8 punctures in my jogger pram from duwweltjies on sunday.

had to go knock on a friends door and repair them all on the spot...with two little kids running around causing mayhem.

time fo me to ghetto tubeless those 12inch wheels

Fisan

Feb 16, 2016, 10:28 AM

Put the "Race" sticker on it to charge more? 

IH8MUD

Feb 16, 2016, 12:05 PM

You got to love marketing . . . 

Would this "Race Sealant" still work if the rider is commuting or doing a recovery ride and not racing . . ?  :ph34r: 

Pity it only "virtually" eliminate flats and not actually or really.  

EmptyB

Feb 16, 2016, 1:20 PM

Why so cheap....

CogitoErgoSum

Feb 16, 2016, 2:15 PM

Tubeless is the single best innovation to cycling ever. Just realized this again on the weekend - went through a serious bundle of "skaap dorings". Both wheels were covered. Slight pft then sealed nicely.

So what is different with this race version?

Meezo

Feb 16, 2016, 2:26 PM

Tubeless is the single best innovation to cycling ever. Just realized this again on the weekend - went through a serious bundle of "skaap dorings". Both wheels were covered. Slight pft then sealed nicely.

you should try dropper post :ph34r:

CogitoErgoSum

Feb 16, 2016, 2:30 PM

you should try dropper post :ph34r:

[emoji23][emoji37] yeah i am sure. Not enough hills here in the platteland. Hakahana is the only "mols hopie".

Iwan Kemp

Feb 16, 2016, 6:19 PM

From the article:

The key difference is the amount and type of sealing crystals used in creating Race Sealant. With nearly twice the amount of our standard sealing crystals, plus additional "XL" crystals capable of sealing even larger punctures, Race Sealant is designed for maximum sealing power. The combination of new larger and more smaller crystals interlock to form a lattice work that not only seals punctured tires faster but also strengthens and reinforces them.

Racers love our Race Sealant because it’s lighter, works faster, and seals even larger punctures.

"Stan's Race Sealant allows us to use less sealant and get the same performance,” said current U.S. Cross Country and Short Track Mountain Bike National Champion Chloe Woodruff of the Stan’s NoTubes-Pivot Team. “Race Sealant gives us an edge over the competition because it's lighter and highly effective.”

Race Sealant is different from our traditional sealant in that it must be installed directly into the tire. The quantity and size of its crystals in our new special formula will clog injectors and smaller bottles almost immediately.

All ya all naysayers can say what you want, but Stans is a must. Or, if you prefer to be a bit more neutral, tubeless sealant. Where I stay there are PLENTY of thorns and even more so on the cycle paths. Without the tubeless conversion and Stans sealant many a ride would have finished with me pushing my bike to the car or home.

It is the SINGLE most frustrating thing about review bikes and a "mod" I will not go without. 

Whatever the cost, at 3 cups every 4 - 6 months it lasts long enough and adds enough value to every ride that it's worth it for me. 
CogitoErgoSum

Feb 16, 2016, 7:11 PM

From the article:

The key difference is the amount and type of sealing crystals used in creating Race Sealant. With nearly twice the amount of our standard sealing crystals, plus additional "XL" crystals capable of sealing even larger punctures, Race Sealant is designed for maximum sealing power. The combination of new larger and more smaller crystals interlock to form a lattice work that not only seals punctured tires faster but also strengthens and reinforces them.

"Stan's Race Sealant allows us to use less sealant and get the same performance,” said current U.S. Cross Country and Short Track Mountain Bike National Champion Chloe Woodruff of the Stan’s NoTubes-Pivot Team. “Race Sealant gives us an edge over the competition because it's lighter and highly effective.”

All ya all naysayers can say what you want, but Stans is a must. Or, if you prefer to be a bit more neutral, tubeless sealant. Where I stay there are PLENTY of thorns and even more so on the cycle paths. Without the tubeless conversion and Stans sealant many a ride would have finished with me pushing my bike to the car or home.

It is the SINGLE most frustrating thing about review bikes and a "mod" I will not go without.

Whatever the cost, at 3 cups every 4 - 6 months it lasts long enough and adds enough value to every ride that it's worth it for me.

Sincere apologies. I didn't read the article. So it's pretty much like USN's oxygenated water......

I have no idea what slime/sealant my lbs used for the last replacement. But it sure does work! The wheels were properly covered in thorns. Pressure still fine three days later.

King_Crispy

Feb 16, 2016, 7:14 PM

Stan, enough blah, blah, blah.

Find me something that can seal my tubbies, or give me your Grannie's number to unpick, fix and restitch them.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment