Tech

Stan’s NoTubes updates Crest, Arch and Flow wheelsets

· By Press Office · 33 comments

Stan’s NoTubes is excited to announce new lighter, wider versions of their popular Crest, Arch, and Flow rims and wheelsets. The new Mark 3 series rims feature a more durable 6069 aluminium alloy and a wider, lower profile design that maximizes tire volume without distorting a tire’s shape. The Crest MK3, Arch MK3 and Flow MK3 wheelsets will include Stan’s faster­ engaging and more durable CNC machined Neo hubs. The MK3 series will rely on Stan’s patented Bead Socket Technology (BST), the tubeless rim shape trusted by riders and racers around the world.

ccs-62657-0-61953500-1460962396.jpg

Despite being wider than previous models, the Crest MK3 and Flow MK3 rims are now even lighter. The Arch MK3, which sees the greatest increase in width, was kept at nearly the same weight as the previous Arch EX rim. The 6069 alloy and a rim shape that increases lateral stiffness for improved handling. Tubeless setup and maintenance remain as easy as ever.

WideRight

One of the earliest advocates for the stability of wider rims, Stan’s NoTubes believes the pendulum has officially swung too far. “The shape of the tire on the rim is so important,” says company President and Chief Engineer, Mike Bush, “and a lot of rims out there are too wide to work with the tires we’re all using. Stretching a tire beyond its intended shape causes problems when leaning into corners and forces you to run higher air pressures to keep impacts from damaging the rim or pinch flatting the tire.” Stan’s WideRight concept was developed to find the optimal rim width for the most common tire sizes. “It took a lot of testing,” says Bush, “but our new rims offer the best balance between stability and tire shape.”

ccs-62657-0-32067000-1460961777.jpg

Crest MK3

Even lower profile, the new Crest MK3 adds 2mm of internal width while dropping weight for faster acceleration and climbing, making it an excellent choice for lightweight, tubeless cross country performance. The new Crest MK3’s constantly tapering rim shape is engineered to be stronger while increasing tire volume for less rolling resistance and more stability.

ccs-62657-0-30796300-1460963186.jpg
ccs-62657-0-79723900-1460963186.jpg

Like all Stan’s NoTubes ZTR wheelsets, the Crest MK3 features patented Bead Socket Technology (BST). Refined over the past 15 years and proven with countless cross country and endurance wins, BST continues to be the standard by which all tubeless systems are judged.

Crest MK3 rims will be offered in 24­inch, 26­inch, 27.5­inch, and 29­inch sizes and in both 28­hole and 32­hole drilling. MSRP of the rim is $100. Wheelsets will be offered in a wide variety of axle configurations, including Boost and Cannondale Lefty, with an MSRP of $679. A SRAM Predictive Steering option will also be available for $825 MSRP.

Arch MK3

The new Arch MK3 has seen the most drastic evolution. Mean, but still lean, the Arch MK3 is 24% wider, with virtually no weight increase from its predecessor. Based on input from our Enduro World Series teams, Stan’s NoTubes pushed the Arch MK3’s internal rim width out to 26mm for maximum tire stability and volume while keeping the rim itself incredibly light (only 425g for the 27.5” rim).

ccs-62657-0-62837700-1460963184.jpg
ccs-62657-0-31451400-1460963185.jpg

With a lower rim profile and stronger 6069 alloy, the Arch MK3 also sees a 25% increase in lateral stiffness for improved tracking and cornering precision. Featuring Bead Socket Technology, the new Arch MK3 also offers the tubeless traction, control and reliability only found on genuine Stan’s NoTubes rims.

MSRP for the Arch MK3 rim is $100, and rims will be offered in 26­inch, 27.5­inch, and 29­inch sizes. Both 28­hole and 32­hole drilling options are available. Wheelsets will be offered in a wide variety of axle configurations, including Boost and Cannondale Lefty, with an MSRP of $679. A SRAM Predictive Steering option will also be available for $825 MSRP.

Flow MK3

With proven success on the Downhill World Cup circuit, the legendary Flow was one of the most capable trail and all­-mountain rims ever made. The new Flow MK3 goes bigger and better in every way.

ccs-62657-0-35115900-1460963187.jpg
ccs-62657-0-88283500-1460963187.jpg

Nearly 4mm wider, the Flow MK3’s 29mm internal rim width offers the perfect balance of tire sidewall stability and volume for tires up to 2.8” wide. A more durable 6069­series alloy and lower profile rim also make this the toughest Flow ever made.

But stronger doesn’t mean heavier. Optimized rim shape and a stronger alloy also let the Flow MK3 weigh in 30g less than even the narrower Flow EX.

Born and bred for control at speed and on technical trails, the new Flow MK3 also features patented Bead Socket Technology, for easy tubeless setup and maximum reliability.

Flow MK3 rims will be offered in 26­inch, 27.5­inch, and 29­inch sizes with 32­hole drilling and an MSRP of $100. Wheelsets will be offered in a wide variety of axle configurations and an MSRP of $679.

Local Availability

The new rims and wheelsets will start arriving from July onwards. Initial supply will be limited as Stan’s NoTubes increase their stock levels in the USA.

Pricing will be similar to current versions but Rand / Dollar fluctuations will play a bigger part.

Comments

Suidwes Boytjie

Apr 18, 2016, 7:14 AM

When will these be available in SA?

dirtypot

Apr 18, 2016, 7:17 AM

I bought new Crests two weeks ago.  I could cry.

Hairy

Apr 18, 2016, 7:20 AM

That Arch MK3 certainly has my interest, and while we are at it, I would like to thank the ladies and gents at Stans for keeping the 26'er movement alive by carrying the new profiles over to keep up 26'er riders rolling for longer and not selling out to a 650B and 29'er only marketing strategy. Bravo (pun intended)!

Nick

Apr 18, 2016, 7:49 AM

When will these be available in SA?

Sorry, should have asked Two Wheels Trading (the local distributor) sooner.

The new rims and wheelsets will start arriving from July onwards. Initial supply will be limited as Stan’s NoTubes increase their stock levels in the USA.

Pricing will be similar to current versions but R/$ fluctuations will play a bigger part. 
Suidwes Boytjie

Apr 18, 2016, 7:56 AM

The new rims and wheelsets will start arriving from July onwards. Initial supply will be limited as Stan’s NoTubes increase their stock levels in the USA.

Pricing will be similar to current versions but R/$ fluctuations will play a bigger part. 

Thanx... 

I was just wondering how the new CNC machined NEO hubs compare to Hope Evo 4 hubs.

I'm also interested in the new Arch wheelset as i currently have the Arch Ex with Stan's 3.30 hubs...

V12man

Apr 18, 2016, 8:29 AM

Are they going to have the same ERD as the previous versions

Nick

Apr 18, 2016, 8:31 AM

Are they going to have the same ERD as the previous versions

Not sure. You can check all the specifications for the new products on the NoTubes website.

V12man

Apr 18, 2016, 8:49 AM

Not sure. You can check all the specifications for the new products on the NoTubes website.

For what it's worth - looks like they are the same on the new ones.

Surv0MTB

Apr 18, 2016, 8:50 AM

Would love to be able to trade in for an upgrade :P

Nick

Apr 18, 2016, 8:51 AM

For what it's worth - looks like they are the same on the new ones.

Thanks for checking. Good news for rim upgrades/replacements.

Mawbs

Apr 18, 2016, 9:03 AM

hmm that new Neo Ultimate hub with 6pawl 72point engagement looks very interesting

Serious Panda

Apr 18, 2016, 9:50 AM

Major upgrade in price too:

679 US Dollar equals
9892.55 South African Rand
Suidwes Boytjie

Apr 18, 2016, 9:55 AM

Major upgrade in price too:

679 US Dollar equals
9892.55 South African Rand

Kind of expected with our current economy... Not cool.

Rocket-Boy

Apr 18, 2016, 9:56 AM

Im just wondering how the flows(closest ID match) will compare to wide lightening's in terms of price/weight/durability.

Serious Panda

Apr 18, 2016, 10:12 AM

Im just wondering how the flows(closest ID match) will compare to wide lightening's in terms of price/weight/durability.

Can only be better. Also, AC rear hub engagement is unbearably slow and freebody is fragile. Stans Neo hubs will be much better.

JohanMalan

Apr 18, 2016, 10:24 AM

Can only be better. Also, AC rear hub engagement is unbearably slow and freebody is fragile. Stans Neo hubs will be much better.

No, sorry to disagree.

The 'slow' engagement issue has never bothered me and I have been on several sets of AC incl SS. I have and have had a few sets of 3:30 hubs and Crest wheels and can say with confidence that the AC freewheel and hubs are  more robust ( incl bigger bearings).

Wide lightning rims are Crest weight but Flow width ( also 107kg weightlimit) and cheaper than Crests, so I think an easy choice.

The Neo looks good.

dirtypot

Apr 18, 2016, 10:40 AM

No, sorry to disagree.

The 'slow' engagement issue has never bothered me and I have been on several sets of AC incl SS. 

Ride a Hope hub and you'll see just how slow the engagement is on the AC's...  :whistling:

Mawbs

Apr 18, 2016, 10:49 AM

and the New Neo has an even faster engagement than the Hope. i see bearings are only 2mm smaller than the Hope4,s ...wonder if they will be noisy or quiet

JohanMalan

Apr 18, 2016, 10:56 AM

Ride a Hope hub and you'll see just how slow the engagement is on the AC's...  :whistling:

I have owned Hope hubs and DT swiss, all with lots of engagement points and fast engagement and still no problem on the AC. I often see guys mentioning this as an AC problem, but I particularly like riding difficult terrain and on a SS the hub engagement would be perhaps even more crucial.

Obviously my 2c and personal subjective experience only.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Apr 18, 2016, 11:14 AM

I have owned Hope hubs and DT swiss, all with lots of engagement points and fast engagement and still no problem on the AC. I often see guys mentioning this as an AC problem, but I particularly like riding difficult terrain and on a SS the hub engagement would be perhaps even more crucial.

Obviously my 2c and personal subjective experience only.

engagement is only a problem when you're back-pedalling. When you're constantly on the power, the hub is permanently engaged. May be why you're not experiencing any issues with the low engagement - planning the climb properly according to the terrain. 

Suidwes Boytjie

Apr 18, 2016, 12:26 PM

I will be patiently waiting for these to arrive in SA... Then fellow hubbers, there will be a wheelset for sale to make way for a set of these.  :whistling:  :D

Robodog

Apr 18, 2016, 12:44 PM

Are you guys seriously comparing Stans with Hope? 

haasbroek

Apr 18, 2016, 12:47 PM

Hopefully they bring in a few 28h rims for us slow learners..... Like finding a honest soul in Lootfreely house.

BaGearA

Apr 18, 2016, 12:48 PM

If a hub is quiet why would you even buy it?? :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment