Tech

Stans announce overhauled MK4 Crest, Arch and Flow rims

Press Release

· By Bike Hub Features · 48 comments

Stans have released their fourth generation Crest, Arch and Flow rims featuring updated internal dimensions, an asymmetric profile and a more generous warranty.

Read up on the specifications and local availability below.

Crest-MK4-U.jpg

Stans Crest MK4 – Fast and Made to Last

Crest rims are part of the history of mountain biking. Introduced in 2005, the Crest’s design evolved directly from Stan’s earliest ideas, including the legendary 355 rims. Stan wanted a simple and durable rim that would work well without a tube and weighed less than everybody else’s rims. The Crest achieved those goals. With a more durable and lighter 6069 alloy and an asymmetric rim shape that balances spoke tension, today’s Crest MK4 has technology that’s lightyears ahead of the early design, but the spirit of the original Crest lives on: make it light, make it serviceable, make it resist flats, and make it go as fast as possible.

The BST Asymmetric rim design of the Crest MK4 allows for a stronger wheel while offering the easy inflation and Stan’s trademark unmatched airtight seal. The Crest MK4 rim is optimized for 40mm Gravel tires and up to 2.3” mountain tires, making it a great, versatile choice for a wide range of bikes and riding styles.

The durable but forgiving ride of the Crest MK4’s 6069 alloy construction and lightweight, low-profile rim shape offer an unbeatable ride quality uniquely suited to Gravel and short-travel XC riding, and like all rims that bear the Crest name, it’s built for speed. The Crest MK4 combines the heritage of Stan’s legendary tubeless design with today’s best materials and a stronger asymmetric design. Roll faster with more comfort and more security on your next Gravel or XC ride with the Crest MK4 rim.

crest_elements.jpg

• 25mm rim width optimized for Gravel and XC tires up to 2.3”
  • 
Light and durable 6069 aluminum with welded joint and reinforced spoke bed
  • 
BST Asymmetric design combines Stan’s legendary easy tubeless inflation with a stronger, more balanced wheel build
  • 
3-year rim warranty with 1-year crash replacement

Rim Internal Width: 25.0mm // Rim External Width: 28.4mm // Rim Depth: 18.0mm // Rim Weight: 323g (24”) / 357g (26″) / 374g (27.5″) / 399g (29″) // Hole Count: 24-hole (24”), 28-hole or 32-hole (26”, 27.5”, 29”)

Arch-MK4-L.jpg

Stans Arch MK4 – Ready for Every Trail

Mountain bikes have changed in the decade since the original Arch rim helped introduce the world to tubeless technology. With a 28mm wide asymmetric rim shape and ultra-strong 6069

alloy, today’s Arch MK4 rim has evolved to match these more capable bikes. Through all the years of testing and refinement of this rim, one thing has never changed: versatility. Now more than ever, when you want a reliable rim that can handle every trail, the Arch MK4 is for you.

The Arch MK4 rim is light enough to take XC racing but was born from research and testing on the Enduro World Series circuit, making it a great rim for anyone looking to improve both descending and climbing. Constructed of light and strong 6069 aluminum alloy, with a reinforced spoke bed and 28mm internal width ideal for 2.2-2.5″ tires, the Arch MK4 can get you up the climbs easier and make the descent even better.

The Arch MK4’s BST Asymmetric shape improves spoke angle, allowing for a stronger overall wheel build. Unlike most asymmetric rims that struggle with tubeless inflation and consistent airtight seal under hard cornering, the Arch MK4’s shape is designed to equalize pressure for easy inflation and incredibly strong tire retention on both sides of the rim.

Stan’s patented Bead Socket Technology, combined with a stronger asymmetric design, light and durable 6069 alloy, and the perfect rim width for balancing control and weight, make the Arch MK4 your best choice for all-around riding. Powering up rocky switchback climbs or slapping berms on every descent, the Arch MK4 is ready for whatever you can throw at it.

arch_elements.jpg

• Versatile 28mm internal rim width optimized for 2.2-2.5” tires
  • Light and durable 6069 aluminum with welded joint and reinforced spoke bed
  • BST Asymmetric design combines Stan’s legendary easy tubeless inflation with a stronger, more balanced wheel build
  • 3-year rim warranty with 1-year crash replacement

Rim Internal Width: 28.0mm // Rim External Width: 31.4mm // Rim Depth: 18.9mm // Rim Weight: 451g (27.5″) / 481g (29″) // Hole Count: 28-hole or 32-hole

Flow-MK4-A.jpg

Stans Flow MK4 – Instant Confidence

Since 2007, the Flow rim has been helping riders progress, push boundaries, and do more on their bikes. The original Flow was light, wide, tubeless, and strong as hell. It redefined mountain bike rims and played a role in the evolution of riding. Today’s Flow MK4 continues the progression with a 30mm wide asymmetric rim designed to build an even stronger overall wheel.

Durability and an almost uncanny feeling of control on the trail have made Flow rims the preferred choice of multiple Red Bull Rampage riders, and today’s Flow goes even further. The Flow MK4’s reinforced spoke bed, combined with the offset drilling of the asym design, builds into an incredibly durable wheel that brings added confidence to every ride. Unlike many asymmetric rims, the Flow MK4’s BST Asymmetric shape is designed to equalize resistance to dents and tire bead retention on both sides of the rim under even the worst rock gardens and hardest cornering. Combined with Stan’s patented Bead Socket Technology, the Flow MK4 rim offers the easiest tubeless setup and most reliable airtight performance on the trail.

Ramp up your progression and make every ride even better with the confidence of Flow MK4 asymmetric rims.

Flow_elements.jpg

• Low-profile 30mm internal width optimizes tire shape, traction, and control for 2.3-2.6” tires
  • Durable 6069 aluminum with welded joint and reinforced spoke bed
  • BST Asymmetric design combines Stan’s legendary easy tubeless inflation with a stronger, more balanced wheel build
  • 3-year rim warranty with 1-year crash replacement

Rim Internal Width: 30.0mm // Rim External Width: 33.6mm // Rim Depth: 18.9mm // Rim Weight: 466g (26″) / 487g (27.5″) / 521g (29″) // Hole Count: 28-hole, 32-hole

Local availability
Selected 29″ MK4 Crest, Arch and Flow rims are expected to be available in South Africa in August 2021.
More wheel sizes will be available later in 2021.

Tags:

Comments

Bos

Jun 29, 2021, 8:42 AM

I think The ARCH should have been at 30mm and the FLOW just a more sturdy version thereof or 35mm...

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jun 29, 2021, 8:54 AM

10 minutes ago, Bos said:

I think The ARCH should have been at 30mm and the FLOW just a more sturdy version thereof or 35mm...

yeah, 32mm would have been nice for the Flow. They already have a 35mm internal in the guise of the Baron. 

Headshot

Jun 29, 2021, 10:05 AM

I'd prefer 25mm Flows. I happily run 2.4s on my 23mm 26" flows. My 2.6 Assegai looks too square on my 29mm WTB rims for my liking. 

stefmeister

Jun 29, 2021, 10:14 AM

5 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I'd prefer 25mm Flows. I happily run 2.4s on my 23mm 26" flows. My 2.6 Assegai looks too square on my 29mm WTB rims for my liking. 

Think the widths are spot on. They will probably release the beefier/cheaper S1 version again of the Arch and Flow, that'll make the Arch more "enduro" friendly for those who want to run a narrower rim. 

babse

Jun 29, 2021, 6:18 PM

They already seem to be cranking around the nipples ????

Blokeonabike

Jun 29, 2021, 6:24 PM

After having 4 sets (8 rims total) crack around the nipples I doubt that I'll ever ride stans wheels again. I'm sure there are many more who feel the same way...

Really a pitty, I loved they Arch EX mk1 set. Hopefully they fixed that problem.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jun 29, 2021, 6:31 PM

12 minutes ago, babse said:

Oh dear. ????????????????

Meezo

Jun 29, 2021, 6:49 PM

21 minutes ago, Blokeonabike said:

After having 4 sets (8 rims total) crack around the nipples I doubt that I'll ever ride stans wheels again. I'm sure there are many more who feel the same way...

Really a pitty, I loved they Arch EX mk1 set. Hopefully they fixed that problem.

This is sentiment shared around the world. It's probably why they "beefed" up their warranty clause. 

Well i don't know what their old warranty clause was but maybe this is just a highlighted clause aka marketing strategy.

But yes, I'm the same I had the with mk1's the mk2's did well i think after about 4-5years of daily uses started showing signs of cracks

Rocket-Boy

Jun 30, 2021, 6:45 AM

12 hours ago, babse said:

I just popped in to see if they had already started cracking, thanks for checking :)

Waxhead

Jul 1, 2021, 7:57 AM

On 6/29/2021 at 8:49 PM, Meezo said:

This is sentiment shared around the world. It's probably why they "beefed" up their warranty clause. 

Well i don't know what their old warranty clause was but maybe this is just a highlighted clause aka marketing strategy.

But yes, I'm the same I had the with mk1's the mk2's did well i think after about 4-5years of daily uses started showing signs of cracks

Gone thru 3 sets of Flows......always crack around the nipples. Built up a new set AGAIN - last time i am doing this

nick_the_wheelbuilder

Jul 1, 2021, 9:15 AM

They've seemed to have reinforced the spoke bed in the new rims to address the cracking issues - only time will tell, but I'm looking forward to building up some of these new rims....

eala

Jul 1, 2021, 9:33 AM

Big Stans Arch fan here .Still riding my cracked rims with no issues 

Two Wheels Trading

Jul 7, 2021, 7:14 AM

Hi Guys, just an update on these - we are expecting our first shipment around 9 September. We have opened up pre-orders on our website and your local dealer can also pre-book for you.

the link to the rims on our website is here https://twowheelstrading.co.za/product-category/stans-mk4-rim-range/

Rock Guy

Jul 13, 2021, 12:45 PM

Fixed_it.png.4a60a42bcc450a949571788bd1720112.png

"fixed" it

nick_the_wheelbuilder

Nov 3, 2021, 2:51 PM

I managed to get my grubby mits on a set of new Stan's Arch Mk4 rims - here are my first impressions:

https://wheelbuilder.co.za/arch-mk4-impressions/ 

Untitled design (43).png

gtr1

Nov 3, 2021, 4:05 PM

On 7/7/2021 at 9:14 AM, Two Wheels Trading said:

Hi Guys, just an update on these - we are expecting our first shipment around 9 September. We have opened up pre-orders on our website and your local dealer can also pre-book for you.

the link to the rims on our website is here https://twowheelstrading.co.za/product-category/stans-mk4-rim-range/

Maybe one day I can get an answer about upgrading my 'cracked around the nipples' rims ??????

Especially seeing as they are the 3rd or 4th set !!!!

BaGearA

Nov 3, 2021, 4:10 PM

10 hours ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

I managed to get my grubby mits on a set of new Stan's Arch Mk4 rims - here are my first impressions:

Untitled design (43).png

thank  you for this ????

Hairy

Nov 3, 2021, 4:24 PM

1 hour ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

Untitled design (43).png

You get a huge thumbs up for slapping those wheels on this bike

IMG_0404.jpg?w=734&ssl=1

nick_the_wheelbuilder

Nov 4, 2021, 5:34 AM

13 hours ago, Hairy said:

You get a huge thumbs up for slapping those wheels on this bike

IMG_0404.jpg?w=734&ssl=1

Ain't she pretty?

PappaWatTrap

Nov 4, 2021, 7:11 AM

1 hour ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

Ain't she pretty?

Good read thank you. And what a beaut of a bike. 

splat

Nov 4, 2021, 8:33 AM

I am interested to hear and see how the Crest MK4 rims would turn out for gravel bike wheels.

According to the Stans website, the wheelset still has a weight limit of 86kg which is really quite light (in my opinion).

That doesn't seem any better than the previous version.

https://www.notubes.com/crest-mk4-wheelset

Hairy

Nov 4, 2021, 8:54 AM

20 minutes ago, splat said:

I am interested to hear and see how the Crest MK4 rims would turn out for gravel bike wheels.

According to the Stans website, the wheelset still has a weight limit of 86kg which is really quite light (in my opinion).

That doesn't seem any better than the previous version.

https://www.notubes.com/crest-mk4-wheelset

86kg's ... that is certainly not SA rider rated

Danger Dassie

Nov 4, 2021, 9:58 AM

They need a buffalo version! 

Headshot

Nov 4, 2021, 10:11 AM

But why even bother with Crest when you can get the Flow rims? BTW, all rims will eventually crack at the nipple holes, rear wheels far mores swiftly than front rims  - its simple science. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment