Tech

Suspension manufacturers introduce metric shock sizing

· By Press Office · 10 comments

Six of the bicycle industry’s main suspension manufacturers announced today that, beginning with model year 2017 bicycles, consumers will see several new shock lengths and fitment options.

The new lengths are based on metric dimensions instead of the imperial-based dimensions of most current shock offerings. Cane Creek, DVO Suspension, Manitou, RockShox, SR Suntour, and X-Fusion are each working independently to develop shock options within their own product lines, and each brand will announce its metric sizing offerings separately.

The group of suspension manufacturers says that metric sizing allows both suspension and frame manufacturers to significantly simplify rear shock sizing and fitment, while also providing performance benefits to both suspension and frame designs.

A significant number of major bicycle manufacturers have recognized the advantages metric sizing offers frame design, and will be introducing new bikes equipped with metric rear shocks in the near future.

Though the group is enthusiastic about the future of metric sizing in suspension, each company says it will remain committed to supporting its imperial shock sizes as long as market demand is relevant.

Related posts

Comments

HowardSteele

Mar 31, 2016, 2:11 PM

"Though the group is enthusiastic about the future of metric sizing in suspension, each company says it will remain committed to supporting its imperial shock sizes as long as market demand is relevant."

Like the States is ever going to give up Imperial.

raptor-22

Mar 31, 2016, 2:39 PM

A bit early for April fool

RocknRolla

Mar 31, 2016, 2:45 PM

"No really honey... I have an 8 inch suspension"

KingTJ

Mar 31, 2016, 2:47 PM

Yeah must be april fools joke.....as if measuring a shock in a metric measurement is going to change performance

droo

Mar 31, 2016, 2:50 PM

Like the States is ever going to give up Imperial.

Like 26" was never going to be phased out...

Smells like another obsolescence crusade by the industry to me.

Edge_Design

Mar 31, 2016, 2:57 PM

I've always found my 165mm shock significantly outperforms my 6.5" one personally so I can fully agree that someone misunderstood the April part of April fools...

RocknRolla

Mar 31, 2016, 3:31 PM

you mean Apr.il fools

Shebeen

Mar 31, 2016, 9:32 PM

What does the Fox say?

Ding ding ding

AdamA

Apr 1, 2016, 5:33 AM

Are they talking about Metric Mounting dimensions or the Travel dimensions?????

Baracuda

Apr 1, 2016, 9:42 AM

I am the biggest advocate of the metric system, but in this context, imperial just sounds better. I would rather say "I have a 6 inch Pyga" than, "I have a hundred and forty three millimeter Pyga"

Would love to see our head of state describing a downhill bike

Add a comment

You must log in to comment