Tech

The new single-sided Vector pedal from Garmin

· By Press Office · 23 comments

Garmin Southern Africa (Pty) Ltd., announce the availability of Vector S, a single-sensing system which measures the force on cyclist’s left pedal to approximate total power. Vector S has changed how power is measured and how cyclists get power because it is measured at the pedal, where force is applied. It is a direct measurement power meter that delivers reliable and accurate data.

ccs-62657-0-48712100-1414407325.jpg

In the past, power meters were difficult to install but with Vector S, cyclists can visit Garmin’s approved Vector Dealers, purchase the system and then install it in minutes. There is no need for a mechanic or downtime while your bike is in the shop. The Vector S system includes the left pedal with embedded power meter, a right pedal without sensor, pedal pod and related hardware. With additional crank arm clearance (in thickness and width), Vector S fits almost any bike. The standard pedal pods, will fit crank arms between 12–15 mm thick and 44 mm wide. The large pedal pods will fit crank arms between 15-18 mm thick and 44 mm wide. If cyclists decide to upgrade to the dual-sensing Vector system at a later stage to achieve direct left/right accuracy, left/right balance data and other data features, this can easily be done by purchasing the upgrade pedal separately.

Vector S works by measuring the deflection in the pedal spindle as cyclists pedal. By comparing that measured deflection to a factory calibration, Vector S can determine how much force cyclists are applying to the pedal. Vector S measures this hundreds of times per second. The force sensor and related electronics are permanently and securely sealed within the left pedal spindle.

Vector S measures total power and cadence, and sends the data to compatible Edge cycling computers or other ANT+ enabled devices. Use compatible device such as Edge 500, 510, 800, 810, 1000 or Forerunner 910XT and Forerunner 920XT to take your training to the next level. Don’t forget to save, plan and share your ride on Garmin’s free online community, Garmin Connect. Vector S is available at the retail recommended price of R12 999.

The maximum weight limit of the cyclist using the Vector system is 90 kg. Cyclists over this weight limit risk personal injury and property damage.

Related posts

Comments

Falco

Oct 27, 2014, 11:28 AM

So the thinking here is that if Stages can do it, then so can Garmin? This is a case of closing the stable door once the horse has bolted.

Stages is lighter, doesn't have a "rider weight limit" (what's with that anyway?), it's cheaper, and it doesn't get damaged in a crash.

Garmin 0, Stages 1.

onearmbandit

Oct 27, 2014, 11:35 AM

The pricing just seems out of line...$899 (R9,860) retail in the US vs. R12,999 - I just don't believe that even if I add shipping and duties that would come to R12,999?!

Skirminkel

Oct 27, 2014, 12:04 PM

Yes, but Stages power meters are limited to alu cranks.  Big problem for some.

Falco

Oct 27, 2014, 12:37 PM

Very true, but given that alu cranks outnumber carbon by a huge percentage, it's unlikely to result in massive sales for Garmin. 

Skirminkel

Oct 27, 2014, 12:51 PM

Well, basically nothing for Campy or SRAM......

quintonb

Oct 27, 2014, 12:52 PM

Or you could look at these...

http://www.vervecycling.com/infocrank/

They being brought into the country, not sure of the final price though. 

Terminator

Oct 27, 2014, 1:41 PM

And Vector is limited to road bikes.........

Falco

Oct 27, 2014, 2:01 PM

Also true. I forgot about that.

So, to summarise, if you ride a road bike with carbon cranks, and don't weigh more than 90kg, the Garmin is for you.

For the remaining 95% of cyclists, get the Stages.

dracs

Oct 27, 2014, 4:15 PM

Also true. I forgot about that.

So, to summarise, if you ride a road bike with carbon cranks, and don't weigh more than 90kg, the Garmin is for you.

For the remaining 95% of cyclists, get the Stages.

What's the RRP locally for stages?

Spoke101

Oct 27, 2014, 9:00 PM

What's the RRP locally for stages?

R9500 - R11500 depending on crank
Frosty

Oct 28, 2014, 7:09 AM

Well, basically nothing for Campy or SRAM......

Not according to the Stages website... http://www.stagescycling.com/stagespower-models

Only Campy that is not listed.

Although Vector is ONLY road bike compatible, stages is also limited to discipline, unless you want a road crank on your MTB.

The BIG plus for Vector is only having to change the pedals from one bike to another, although changing cranks is also not that complicated.

dracs

Oct 29, 2014, 8:11 AM

R9500 - R11500 depending on crank

right, so not all that much cheaper...

Have to say, would love a PM, but until the price point is more around the 5 to 6k level I cannot justify the expense

Skinnyone

Oct 29, 2014, 8:39 AM

PowerTap retails for R9995 for the hub and built into a ZTR Crest I see they are R11295...Not bad considering that Stages has some reported water proofing issues so it makes it a bit iffy on MTB water crossings. And has been mentioned the Vector is road only...

As for compatibility what is simpler than changing a wheel? much easier than swopping cranks and pedals - need torque wrenches etc.

GoLefty!!

Oct 29, 2014, 8:48 AM

Powertap high flanges results in spoke angles that results in a weaker rear wheel. Crank based or pedal based systems do not make this compromise.

christinejvr

Oct 29, 2014, 9:00 AM

Powertap high flanges results in spoke angles that results in a weaker rear wheel. Crank based or pedal based systems do not make this compromise.

And don't forget the cost of servicing the PowerTap. I am spending R1000+ (including courier cost) twice a year on maintenance of PowerTap. Nothing like that for Stages.

Patchelicious

Oct 29, 2014, 9:04 AM

And don't forget the cost of servicing the PowerTap. I am spending R1000+ (including courier cost) twice a year on maintenance of PowerTap. Nothing like that for Stages.

Erm, please explain more? I literally just dropped my wheel to get a G3 built in, and didn't hear anything about this?

christinejvr

Oct 29, 2014, 9:14 AM

Erm, please explain more? I literally just dropped my wheel to get a G3 built in, and didn't hear anything about this?

The PowerTap hub needs to be serviced like any other hub, but it has to be done at CycleOps because after the service the hub needs to be re-calibrated again.

This is a quote from an email conversation I had with a guy from Bicycle Trading before I bought mine (two years ago):

Service intervals all depends on the conditions you ride in, normally every 2000km if one rides on dry conditions, and depending on how often you ride in wet conditions this can vary wheel to wheel. If one can feel the bearings are rough then we normally recommend have the wheel serviced from us.

Service cost is a flat R750 ( 4 x bearings, 4 x O-rings, 1 x seal, 2 x Silver oxide batteries, re-calibration)

Patchelicious

Oct 29, 2014, 9:19 AM

Every 2000km!!!!, thats like 6-7 services a year for me or R5250! Sheez, ok.

Whats the services on the Vector/Stages?

christinejvr

Oct 29, 2014, 9:26 AM

Every 2000km!!!!, thats like 6-7 services a year for me or R5250! Sheez, ok.

Whats the services on the Vector/Stages?

No, I think the 2000km interval is being too conservative. That would have been 5 services a year for me also, and I found 2 are more than enough. But then I mostly stick to tar when using the PowerTap.

Skinnyone

Oct 29, 2014, 9:41 AM

My PowerTap has only been serviced once this year and that is on my mtb, washing regularly etc...My road unit hasn't needed it at all - bearings are still smooth...

Agreed Stages and Vector do not need services BUT what upgrade path do they have? for example a 5 year old hub can be upgraded to the latest G3 system within half an hour.

As for the spoke angle story, the G3 road hubs are the same size as some of the "boutique" systems out there, and they have recently bought out a straight pull option...as well as I see their new mtb hubs will be straight pull...

GoLefty!!

Dec 22, 2014, 5:23 PM

The PowerTap hub needs to be serviced like any other hub, but it has to be done at CycleOps because after the service the hub needs to be re-calibrated again.

This is a quote from an email conversation I had with a guy from Bicycle Trading before I bought mine (two years ago):

Service intervals all depends on the conditions you ride in, normally every 2000km if one rides on dry conditions, and depending on how often you ride in wet conditions this can vary wheel to wheel. If one can feel the bearings are rough then we normally recommend have the wheel serviced from us.

Service cost is a flat R750 ( 4 x bearings, 4 x O-rings, 1 x seal, 2 x Silver oxide batteries, re-calibration)

every 2000km....??

That would be like every 2 months.......infact if i recall thats why I sold mine. rear spokes kept breaking and the bearings wear being constantly adjusted and wearing out.

I'd go for Stages or any other system not severely compromising my ride

GreatGusto

Dec 23, 2014, 8:30 AM

I can highly recommend the V-meter.

http://www.velominati.com/technology/technology-simplified-the-v-meter/

Please also refer to this:  http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#74

:ph34r:  :whistling:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment