Tech

User Review: PYGA OneTen29

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 47 comments

I promised a while ago that I’d write a full review of the PYGA OneTen29, having given my first thoughts here. What follows are my opinions after about 150km of varied riding.

Initial impressions

ccs-2-0-32867200-1398348487.jpg

I’d cobbled together everything needed to build the OneTen29 in the two weeks leading up to the Argus, which forced me to spend a few nights tinkering myself, seeing as the friendly local mechanic was fully booked with servicing road bikes. This gave me an excellent opportunity to get up close and personal with the frame, and to completely take it apart and inspect every little gusset, weld, bolt, bushing, bolt and bearing.

The PYGA is an exceptionally well bolted together piece of kit. The pivot design has clearly been carefully considered and lends itself to easy servicing and very little chance of anything loosening over months of riding, not something which can be said of many other bikes I’ve owned. In fact, the only bolts which have loosened at all have been the shock eyelets. Nothing a bit of Loctite can’t resolve, and certainly not PYGA’s fault. The X12 rear axle is a surprisingly simple system to use, counter-intuitively much less hassle than a traditional QR setup. It provides a real sense of security and compliments the generally solid and stiff nature of the frame. It means business, something which can be immediately felt when picking it up. Yes, it’s slightly portly, but not excessively so. I think the most apt word would be “robust”.

ccs-2-0-45266000-1398348506.jpg

The bulging seat tube and pivot setup takes no prisoners

My build spec can probably be best classified under a “trail” heading, with a few weight weenie parts (XX1 cranks, Truvativ Noir T40 bar) but mostly efficient (120mm Revelation RCT3 with 2014 upper assembly, Novatec Flowtrail 29 wheelset, X0/X9 short cage shifting, Rocket Ron rear & Hans Dampf front tyre combo, XT trail pedals). All in all, the build compliments the bike’s best attributes well, with enough weight saving to prevent bulge, but enough strength to encourage properly fast riding.

On the pedals

When I first jumped on the PYGA and started hammering the pedals, I thought “wait, this pedals like an XC race machine, I wonder if the shock’s locked out…” It wasn’t. The OneTen29 is very, very quick under power. Even with the Monarch fully open, it responds rapidly to pedal input, something I found quite surprising when taking into account my expectations (a bike which has been known to be capable of whipping All Mountain machines under the right conditions, thus logically sensitive to small undulations, plush through the midstroke, and rapidly progressive after that). It’s hugely impressive how little pedal feedback the pivot and rocker design pushes back to the rider. Conventional wisdom says that a linkage-driven VPP/Maestro/DW design should pedal better, and offer better anti-squat characteristics, but it feels like that flies out the window when you crank some power into the OneTen29. It’s well and truly fast, even running 30% sag (as recommended) and on relatively smooth terrain. There’s that initial hint of bob as your weight transfers into the pedal stroke, but as soon as you build up rhythm, it’s barely noticeable.

After the first 10km of road and pavement hopping on the way to the trails, I was wondering why I’d been lugging a hardtail around for the last 12-odd months; the answer being to get away from the bob and sluggish feel of a VPP (albeit first generation) bike. It was a silly decision though, over anything other than a perfectly smooth fire road, the additional traction of the sprung rear end outweighs the kilo or two weight penalty, as well as the slight bob. Generally speaking, I’d be more than happy throwing this bike at XC or even Marathon format races, it feels that efficient.

On the trail

Pointing this bike downhill is what reviews generally rave about, so over the past few rides the PYGA has been flung down increasingly gnarly singletrack, each time in an attempt to find its limits. At first, I was tentative over anything rougher than a few large roots, seeing as on paper the relatively steep head angle (69.5deg) only promises a slight amount of hooliganism on steep stuff. Off camber sections were approached with the same caution, but I realised after a few runs that this was unnecessary. As nimble as the OneTen is in tight manoeuvring, it’s equally stable under load, such as when lofting over a root and landing squarely on off-camber dirt. The combination of burly build (that massive bulging hydro-formed seat tube around the main pivot is impressive) and thru-axles front and rear lend themselves to an impressively stiff chassis, which can be felt when weight gets thrown around at odd angles. This is a bike which wants to be leaned into corners, hard. It rewards an aggressive rider, as I discovered after letting caution go and nailing it into the bends with gusto. You don’t ride a PYGA through corners tentatively, you rail it. The faster, the better and more composed it feels.

ccs-2-0-45918400-1398348478.jpg

Preparing to hit a berm on DH2 in Jonkershoek

Generally speaking, 29ers can feel awkward in situations where wheels need to leave the ground forcefully. Getting a perfect manual initiated with a big wheel can be tricky, and flicking up both wheels across larger trail obstacles is usually a chore. The PYGA suffers to some extent from this ailment, but it compensates in the simplest way by being amazingly well balanced. The 120mm Revelation suits its character very well, even though it requires awareness of the fact that the super-plush front end (the 2014 Fast Black stanchions run with as close to zero stiction as I’ve ever felt) tends to cancel the kick from lips ever so slightly more than the rear, with a slight amount of bucking as a result. It’s not unnerving, just something you need to get used to. Possibly, it could be remedied by running the fork slightly harder and slower, but then its plushness capabilities wouldn’t be fully exploited. Regardless, in the air and on landings, the PYGA is as composed as bikes with 150mm or more travel. This is really impressive, taking into account how well it pedals.

In conclusion

The PYGA OneTen29 is a true enthusiast’s bike. It’s not something you buy because you want to show your new carbon ride off to colleagues, it’s something you ride, hard. There is no pretence, no hyperbole in its character, it just does what it does incredibly well. What does it do? It blends otherworldly stability and plantedness with the kind of pedalling performance you’d usually expect only from bikes which don’t have close to the amount of gnarly-terrain-covering capability it has. It’s a rare breed in a world of bikes which are increasingly built for very narrow purposes. The OneTen29 is the most all-round capable bike I’ve ridden in 25 years of mountain biking.

Video: Having some fun on a run somewhere on DH2 in Jonkershoek

Comments

LongDonkey

Apr 2, 2014, 12:07 PM

Thats what i said. Sorta....

Only my one is faster cos its a green one.

LazyTrailRider

Apr 2, 2014, 12:14 PM

Only my one is faster cos its a green one.

I have to admit, the green is pretty cool.

Brushed gives it that "this may be a prototype" look though!

craig82

Apr 2, 2014, 12:22 PM

Nice one Martin, cool review.

SlowUnsteady

Apr 2, 2014, 12:23 PM

Another green one here, and I can confirm its breadth of ability (though perhaps not my own). It does get a bit irritating in races though, as everyone else ends up being slower downhill (and its my own fitness, rather than the bike, limiting me up!).

Important to keep it all stiction free, even the slightest bit seems to harm the ride more than my previous ride (probably because one is so much more aware of what is possible, she is the sweetest thing when tuned, soaks up everything that should be soaked up, leaves you to handle the rest).

LazyTrailRider

Apr 2, 2014, 12:46 PM

Important to keep it all stiction free, even the slightest bit seems to harm the ride more than my previous ride (probably because one is so much more aware of what is possible, she is the sweetest thing when tuned, soaks up everything that should be soaked up, leaves you to handle the rest).

Important point.

I've found the only stiction to be at the shock eyelets. Seeing as they're (as on almost all bikes) not bearing-mounted, they don't pivot perfectly smoothly unless they're only partially tightened. Not fully tightening them of course means that they very quickly rattle loose. Not an ideal setup. I'm going to experiment with Loctite, but I don't know if it will hold things in place solidly enough in a partially tightened state...

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Apr 2, 2014, 1:05 PM

Cool write up, makes me want one but the price still scares me off.

I also prefer the brushed look, looks like a factory ride, no mess, no fuss.

LourensD

Apr 2, 2014, 1:08 PM

Always been wondering about these:

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html

Maybe solve the last source of "stiction" on the bike?

LouisS

Apr 2, 2014, 1:30 PM

Hi Martin, how do you experience the 120mm travel while pyga recommends a 130-140mm fork travel? Also got myself a used frame and are looking at the rockshox revelation 140mm travel? Your thoughts??

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Apr 2, 2014, 1:44 PM

Important point.

I've found the only stiction to be at the shock eyelets. Seeing as they're (as on almost all bikes) not bearing-mounted, they don't pivot perfectly smoothly unless they're only partially tightened. Not fully tightening them of course means that they very quickly rattle loose. Not an ideal setup. I'm going to experiment with Loctite, but I don't know if it will hold things in place solidly enough in a partially tightened state...

Just read this bit now, using nylon washers and a nylock nut might help. Would need to replace the nuts as the nylock does wear out if they're installed/removed repeatedly.

Worth a try as it's a cheap fix if it works.

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Apr 2, 2014, 1:45 PM

http://www.endurofor....com/id275.html

That'll work too.

LongDonkey

Apr 2, 2014, 1:47 PM

I have to admit, the green is pretty cool.

Brushed gives it that "this may be a prototype" look though!

Confession

I prefer the brushed look too. :whistling:

LazyTrailRider

Apr 2, 2014, 2:06 PM

http://www.endurofor....com/id275.html

I forgot about this setup!

A long time ago, I did some reading up. Apparently, it wears really quickly because the force applied is out of proportion to the number of degrees of rotation, so only a few of the bearings carry all the load.

It's worth a shot though, I'm going to see if I can get hold of a kit and see how it holds up.

LazyTrailRider

Apr 2, 2014, 2:10 PM

Hi Martin, how do you experience the 120mm travel while pyga recommends a 130-140mm fork travel? Also got myself a used frame and are looking at the rockshox revelation 140mm travel? Your thoughts??

PYGA actually recommends 120-1300mm for the OneTen, it's the OneTwenty which prefers a 130-140mm setup.

That being said, I would run a 140mm Revelation on the OneTen without qualms. It would slacken the HA just enough to suit the kind of riding that extra 20mm will encourage. Would be a good match I reckon :thumbup:

Wil6

Apr 2, 2014, 2:27 PM

Where can I buy a frame?

LazyTrailRider

Apr 2, 2014, 2:45 PM

Where can I buy a frame?

In the Free State, I believe you have a few options: http://www.pygaindustries.com/dealers.html

Wil6

Apr 2, 2014, 2:50 PM

In the Free State, I believe you have a few options: http://www.pygaindus...om/dealers.html

Thanks man, my dream duel frame and maybe its time to start building my own Pyga
Nicolo38

Apr 2, 2014, 3:55 PM

PYGA actually recommends 120-1300mm for the OneTen, it's the OneTwenty which prefers a 130-140mm setup.

That being said, I would run a 140mm Revelation on the OneTen without qualms. It would slacken the HA just enough to suit the kind of riding that extra 20mm will encourage. Would be a good match I reckon :thumbup:

I confirm : I'm riding a OneTen with a 140mm Revelation, and no concern so far. I had initially planned to reduce travel to 130, but it's working so well that I've left it at 140 :drool:

Tatt

Apr 2, 2014, 7:15 PM

Great review. I also have the 140 on mine, it is great. Also running a 22-32-42 x 10 setup which absolutely works for me.

Tom

Pipsqueak

Apr 3, 2014, 7:31 AM

Ya, this review seems spot on. Did you guys read that review done by MBR mag? The guy missed the whole point.

LazyTrailRider

Apr 3, 2014, 8:07 AM

Ya, this review seems spot on. Did you guys read that review done by MBR mag? The guy missed the whole point.

I still need to read that, thanks for the reminder...

Pipsqueak

Apr 3, 2014, 10:18 AM

Interested to know what you think. I reckon he just looked at the numbers and made his mind up on preconception.

davetapson

Apr 3, 2014, 10:32 AM

Martin - what do you reckon of this for marathons?

I'm keen to get one for my 50th, but it will be the last bike I would be buying for a good long time and I wouldn't want to be going wrong. Marathons are mostly what I do.

I'm replacing a 26" GT Sensor, which actually has the same sort of characteristics that are said of this Pyga - climbs well and can be hurled down mountains at speeds that seem way beyond one's capabilities and generally good all round. I love it, but I want to get 29" wheels.

LazyTrailRider

Apr 3, 2014, 12:55 PM

Martin - what do you reckon of this for marathons?

I'm keen to get one for my 50th, but it will be the last bike I would be buying for a good long time and I wouldn't want to be going wrong. Marathons are mostly what I do.

I'm replacing a 26" GT Sensor, which actually has the same sort of characteristics that are said of this Pyga - climbs well and can be hurled down mountains at speeds that seem way beyond one's capabilities and generally good all round. I love it, but I want to get 29" wheels.

I'd say go for it.

The cool thing about the OneTen really is its split personality. I was very surprised by how well it behaves itself on smooth surfaces with lots of pedalling input (ie most of your typical marathon). I've owned many hardtails, and many duallies from XC up to full-on DH machines over the years. The one thing that's always bothered me about riding a duallie is the inevitable annoying bob and pedal feedback, and that accompanying feeling that your energy is going somewhere other than into propelling you forward. The very noticeable thing about the PYGA is that it doesn't feel like that, it feels efficient. Bear in mind also that the Monarch has two lockout/"pro-pedal-like" settings, so running it on the platform setting gives you even more efficiency when needed. Mind you, I fiddled with that initially but have actually just left it open as recommended because it's not really necessary.

Pipsqueak

Apr 3, 2014, 2:39 PM

I got so excited when I rode one that I bought 2.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment