Tech

Video: RockShox launches electric self-adjusting suspension

· By Press Office · 32 comments

Flight Attendant uses a suite of sensors to read rider and terrain inputs to anticipate the perfect suspension position—enabling you to ride faster, ride longer, and spend less energy adjusting your suspension and more time focusing on what matters most: the unbridled joy of riding.

At launch, Flight Attendant is available exclusively on a limited number of bike builds from Canyon, Specialized, Trek and YT. 

Learn more: https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/collections/flight-attendant

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

Pieterlab1

Oct 5, 2021, 3:39 PM

Great!

Just in time for Christmas!

DieselnDust

Oct 5, 2021, 4:11 PM

awesome stuff. user configurable via the AXS app

bye bye Brain, hello brain+

Suspension reacts to power output as well as vertical acceleration.

And just like that live valve is obsolete

Zebra

Oct 6, 2021, 5:14 AM

Let’s hope the NEXT revolutionary improvement is self-STEERING bikes, I find it quite irritating to have to hold on to the handlebars continuously…..

???? 

mecheng89

Oct 6, 2021, 6:24 AM

Crikey moses. Only for wealthy weekend warriors! 

Shebeen

Oct 6, 2021, 6:51 AM

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

Let’s hope the NEXT revolutionary improvement is self-STEERING bikes, I find it quite irritating to have to hold on to the handlebars continuously…..

????

let's not jump too far ahead already, few more steps before we get there

FLIGHT ATTENDANT fully active suspension?...this is entry level to where they're taking us. SRAM have got NAVIGATOR in the wings, you upload a gpx of the trail before you ride it and the suspension settings adjust to the preset terrain changes. When that hype has died down, AUTOPILOT will be released. Their new head unit has a front facing camera stack with 3D stereoscopic AI feature recognition capabilites. It will see the rocks, roots and dongas before you're out the berm. When you really trust the systems in place, the colab with TESLA brings us a range of VELOBOT self driving bikes will take you through the trail without even having to steer, (pedalling also optional).

jokes aside, if this actually works then I'm very impressed. i assume it has learning capabilites/feedback. early adopters could be real guinea pigs with weekly software updates to the algorithm.

Bomberman

Oct 6, 2021, 6:52 AM

Not sure if this is going be affordable for the average rider, but I have to say this so cool. 

Robbie Stewart

Oct 6, 2021, 6:58 AM

Soon we won't even have to get out of bed in the mornings to go for a ride. We only need an app to tell us how far we would have ridden and what workout we got. Premium subscribers will even be told if they enjoyed the ride.

BaGearA

Oct 6, 2021, 7:07 AM

Days like this I appreciate my steel single speed even more 

Furbz

Oct 6, 2021, 7:16 AM

will be interesting to hear rider feedback.

all the feedback i have ever heard regarding the brain is - its brilliant for racing XC but otherwise too harsh for everyday use.

will be keen to hear if this is that same with this new system. it might be faster, but its still reacting after the fact.

Super Sywurm

Oct 6, 2021, 7:16 AM

Sjoe, something I can only dream about and something I will NEVER own. I'm not really keen on any electronics on my bike, apart from the GPS and the light.  For me, going for a ride is to get away fro electronics and computers (I almost said and the wife as well, but lets rather not) and enjoy the outdoors, and not to worry when the batteries will die.

BUT, I would love to give this a go.

BaGearA

Oct 6, 2021, 7:23 AM

Disclaimer I haven't watched or read anything about this. 

But most pro's EWS and xc riders don't ride with live valve and I believe we'll see the same with this. 

Nice and all but not the type of complexity pros want on their rigs. 

Paul Ruinaard

Oct 6, 2021, 7:27 AM

Like all high end features they start at a premium and filter down to the masses as the tech gets adopted. Think ABS for cars, airbags, stability controls  - at first only on high end cars with massive price tags. Now it's pretty much a feature we expect on every car. Motorbikes didn't have any of it. Now you buy with traction control, wheelie control, different setups for power outputs etc.

I can see a future world with advanced terrain sensing software built in to the forks and shocks which adjust much faster and electronic valvlng as its still using motors. Active suspension with ABS for MTB will start to mean the type of stuff that required real skill to ride is now looked after by software.

Remember the massive debates about disc brakes on road bikes and flying knives etc. Ho hum look now. Wider tyres and disc brakes the norm.

I cant imagine what this will start to look like integrated in to a really good ebike package with big tyres etc. 

But then again i am in tech and love tech so this is so cool. Can't wait

Paul Ruinaard

Oct 6, 2021, 7:30 AM

3 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

But most pro's EWS and xc riders don't ride with live valve and I believe we'll see the same with this. 

Agreed but the percentage of cyclists who are pro's is the same as the percentage of drivers who have a super license for F1. Very low. But  its not focused on them as they dont need it. It's the 99,5% of the average riders out there who will have a much better day because of this. Just like software in the average supercar makes it drivable if your name isn't Alonso, Vettel or Verstappen, this will make it accessible. 

And i still dont get the obsession with riding pro level stuff when you are a weekend warrior. 

DieselnDust

Oct 6, 2021, 8:01 AM

38 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

XCO Pro's don't use Livevlave because it adds weight (280gr)  and the Enduro pro's don't like the wires.

Flight Attendant has neither of these issues and also tom Pidcock won the Olympic XCO Gold using a electronic active suspension by Suntour......

PS: Flight Attendant isn't available in an XCO suspension platform yet (wait another couple of months) so theres' that. We might see the pre launch prototype on SRAM riders bikes at the Cape Epic.

stefmeister

Oct 6, 2021, 8:26 AM

57 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

From what I gather, it's just a motorised compression switch with extra steps. 

Mawbs

Oct 6, 2021, 8:47 AM

another set of batteries to charge ????

J Wakefield

Oct 6, 2021, 9:10 AM

So its the **** brain system but just electronic.

Jbr

Oct 6, 2021, 9:13 AM

We've had electronic suspensions on motorbikes for a while, nobody in the racing world uses them. Not sure what the future of this will be, let's see.

DieselnDust

Oct 6, 2021, 9:25 AM

9 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

So its the **** brain system but just electronic.

no no no this is just a auto high speed compression adjust that takes feedback from an extra data source, either a Flight attendant cadence sensor mounted in the crank or a Quarq PM. You set up the LS and HS defaults and it determines where the damping is best moved to best soak up the acceleration of the shafts and whether that is trail induced or rider induced.

basically a stepper motor on top of the compression valving assembly to replace the manual lever. The lekker goed is in the ability to adjust settings out on the trail without a laptop.

toys bru toys

Brain is a dumb on off switch

J Wakefield

Oct 6, 2021, 9:39 AM

12 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

no no no this is just a auto high speed compression adjust that takes feedback from an extra data source, either a Flight attendant cadence sensor mounted in the crank or a Quarq PM. You set up the LS and HS defaults and it determines where the damping is best moved to best soak up the acceleration of the shafts and whether that is trail induced or rider induced.

basically a stepper motor on top of the compression valving assembly to replace the manual lever. The lekker goed is in the ability to adjust settings out on the trail without a laptop.

toys bru toys

Brain is a dumb on off switch

Any idea if it helps you follow a low carb high fat diet and pay your R100 at tokai while we at it?

splat

Oct 6, 2021, 9:55 AM

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

XCO Pro's don't use Livevlave because it adds weight (280gr)  and the Enduro pro's don't like the wires.

Flight Attendant has neither of these issues and also tom Pidcock won the Olympic XCO Gold using a electronic active suspension by Suntour......

I love the wireless aspect.
It does make the Fox Livevalve system seem clunky in comparison.

But the package adds 300g or so according to this:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/10/05/sram-flight-attendant-auto-pilots-your-suspension-with-wireless-electronic-damping-adjustments/

Headshot

Oct 6, 2021, 10:06 AM

Its not meant for weight weenie brain or lockout equipped marathon bikes  - the longer travel your bike has the more you'll benefit allegedly. Soon DH bikes will be pedaled uphill like Epics ????

MORNE

Oct 6, 2021, 10:15 AM

1 hour ago, Mawbs said:

another set of batteries to charge ????

and you'll need an extra battery bank for your phone soon too because you'll be using it to tune and set all these new wireless things on the trail????

Paul Ruinaard

Oct 6, 2021, 10:29 AM

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

We've had electronic suspensions on motorbikes for a while, nobody in the racing world uses them. Not sure what the future of this will be, let's see.

Ummm - do you watch motogp at all? If so you will know its only because of the rules that no automated devices are allowed - all have to be rider controlled. Otherwise they would be there as there is no way the wetware on a bike can make a decision thousands of times a second and optimise for conditions. Same thing in F1 - the only reason they arent there is because they are banned otherwise the rider would just be a bit academic and it would be one rider v another based on how good their software is.

Have a look at the era of active suspension in F1 and the Williams - the withdrawal of which was possibly a factor in Senna's death as the cars were too fast for mechanical suspension which they were then downgraded to

Motogp Ride height adjustments for launch corner exit aren't allowed to be automatic, they have to be hydraulic and rider operated. Watch some of Simon Crafar's videos on Youtube where he goes through all of this in detail. Launch control is the same - has to be rider activated by a Stoppie at the line - otherwise it would be very simple to make all this automatic.

So no the only reason they arent there is not because they dont work but because the rules ban them.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment