Tech

Wahoo launch Elemnt Rival multisport watch

· By Press Office · 20 comments

Press Release

When seconds determine who stands atop the podium, technology must save you time not cost you time. With ELEMNT RIVAL, we’ve created a multi-sport watch that creates a simple and seamless experience whether you’re training or competing.

ccs-62657-0-61947300-1605635922.jpg

ELEMNT RIVAL Multisport Watch keeps the focus locked on your performance, not your equipment. Unique multisport features like Touchless Transition, Multisport Handover, and Perfect View Zoom create a seamless performance advantage whether training or competing. Designed with a 64 colour screen, ceramic bezel, and gorilla glass lens, ELEMNT RIVAL not only looks great for everyday use but will also withstand your hardest workouts.

Specifications:

Dimensions: 46.5 x 46.5 x 15.3 mm
Display Size: 1.2 in (30.4 mm) diameter
Display Type: Colour
Display Resolution: 240 x 240
Lens Material: Gorilla® Glass
Bezel Material: Ceramic
Case Material: Nylon Polymer
Strap Material: Silicone
Strap Length: 10 in (25.4 cm)
Fits wrist circumference: 140 mm – 240 mm
Weight: 53 g
Battery Rechargeable: Lithium Ion
Battery Life Smartwatch Mode: 14 days
GPS or HR Mode: Up to 24 hours
GPS Functionality: Built-in
Supported Satellites: GPS and GLONASS
Water Rating: 5 ATM (Wahwater resistant up to 50 meters)
Perfect View Zoom Buttons: Yes
Ambient Light Sensor: Yes

ccs-62657-0-57624800-1605635983.jpg
ccs-62657-0-09279800-1605635982.jpg
ccs-62657-0-24758900-1605635985.jpg

Connectivity:

Wireless Connectivity: ANT+® and Bluetooth®
Sensor Compatibility: ANT+®, Bluetooth®, and ANT+ FE-C
Phone Compatibility: iPhone and Android

Sensors:

Altimeter: Yes
Compass: Yes, GPS based
Gyroscope: No
Accelerometer: Yes
Thermometer: No

ccs-62657-0-32288000-1605636103.jpg

Clock Features:

Time/Date: Yes
GPS Time Sync: Via ELEMNT Companion App
Automatic Daylight Savings Time: Via ELEMNT Companion App
Timer: Yes
Stopwatch: Yes

Smart Features:

Companion App Setup: Yes
Customizable Screen: Yes
Alerts Call, Text, and Email* (*email notifications on iOS only)
Live Tracking: Via ELEMNT Companion App
Automatic Workout Uploads: Yes

Activity Tracking Features:

Step Counter: Yes
Calories Burned: Yes, active calories
Floors Climbed: No
Distance Traveled: Yes
Intensity Minutes: No
Workout Time: Yes
Weekly Swim / Bike / Run Distance: Yes
Activity Profiles: Indoor Cycling (KICKR), Outdoor Cycling, Running, Treadmill, Lap Swimming (Pool), Open Water Swimming, Strength, Yoga

ccs-62657-0-67732500-1605636100.jpg

Workout Analysis Features:

HR Zones: Yes
HR Calories: Yes
HR Broadcast: Yes
GPS Speed & Distance: Yes
Customizable Data Pages: Yes
Customizable Activity Profiles: Yes
Auto Pause: Yes
Auto Lap: Yes
Manual Lap: Yes
Audio Prompts: Yes
Finish Time: Yes
Auto Multisport Activities: Yes
Manual Multisport Activities: Yes
Button Lock: Yes
Activity History on Watch: Yes

ccs-62657-0-89861300-1605636104.jpg

Integrations:

Activity Apps: Strava
Indoor Trainers: Wahoo Smart Trainers and ANT+ FE-C equipped trainers

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

News bot

Nov 17, 2020, 5:57 PM

Press Release

When seconds determine who stands atop the podium, technology must save you time not cost you time. With ELEMNT RIVAL, we've created a multi-sport watch that creates a simple and seamless experience whether you're training or competing.

Click here to view the article
Chris_

Nov 17, 2020, 6:01 PM

What are you most excited for? that you couldn't get from all the other watches.

(serious question)

Edit: oh, well this was a reply to Markellis, before the threads got chopped

shaper

Nov 17, 2020, 6:04 PM

You had better read what DCR says about it, before you go rushing out to buy it https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/wahoo-rival-multisport-gps-watch-review.html

His recommendation is to watch and see and look forward to whatever version is available in about a year from now!!........

However, that doesn’t mean I’d recommend the RIVAL today, not in its current iteration. I think with enough money and developers, we’re probably about 8-12 months away from being able to compete with the likes of Suunto in certain areas (non-battery ones). Another year after that, maybe Polar (assuming Polar stopped developing entirely). Garmin? Well, that’s…who knows.

DR ◣◢

Nov 17, 2020, 6:49 PM

I do like the Wahoo products. This looks pretty interesting. 

I wonder what pricing will be? 

The 240x240 screen isn't too exciting but I'm sure it's good enough.

sirmoun10goat

Nov 17, 2020, 6:56 PM

You had better read what DCR says about it, before you go rushing out to buy it https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/wahoo-rival-multisport-gps-watch-review.html

His recommendation is to watch and see and look forward to whatever version is available in about a year from now!!........

However, that doesn’t mean I’d recommend the RIVAL today, not in its current iteration. I think with enough money and developers, we’re probably about 8-12 months away from being able to compete with the likes of Suunto in certain areas (non-battery ones). Another year after that, maybe Polar (assuming Polar stopped developing entirely). Garmin? Well, that’s…who knows.

And Ray is just talking about software dev, which can only do so much. Things sleep tracking, 24/7 hr, going back in time to look at historic data, accuracy, etc can be rectified. But things such as music, tap to pay etc, requires updated hardware. And then Garmin's First Beat tech - this requires so much data which I don't think Wahoo has access to.

At best, this model from Wahoo can be competitor to an entry level Garmin device. You will need to wait for at least Gen 2 of Rival before you can expect features offered by Garmin. 

Pieterlab1

Nov 17, 2020, 8:18 PM

Rubbish. Just get a Garmin.

MarcBurger

Nov 18, 2020, 5:24 AM

Just get a Garmin.

As a Suunto fan, I'm so peeved I got the Suunto 5 instead of a Garmin.

Rocket-Boy

Nov 18, 2020, 10:42 AM

At the current price point vs features this watch doesnt make much sense.

Any of the longer established players are a better option until the product matures.

Simon123

Nov 21, 2020, 8:50 PM

Rubbish. Just get a Garmin.

I did, and cant believe I fell for the Garmin fanboy hype.   It was like I went back to an old 80's Casio.

Swapping 830 computer for a Wahoo, so this looks tempting.   Not yet, but soon.  Just want to lose this Garmin POS and go back to an Apple Watch and will re-evaluate in a year.

Kom

Nov 22, 2020, 3:43 AM

For cyclists already in the wahoo eco system, this watch will make sense, for the 80% of the community that grew up with garmin, it will still be the defacto.

aquaratza

Nov 22, 2020, 12:33 PM

A number of tour riders that live in the wahoo eco system are onto a different type of training approach which is waiting to permeate into the broader cycling world, which IMO is power meter based racing and training that you don’t need a full time coach to interpret and create plans for. On this front garmin can’t compete IMO.

For cyclists already in this eco system, this watch will make sense, for the 80% of the community that still ride old school heart rate based data monitoring, garmin is still the defacto.

Huh? My Garmin Edge 530 (2020), Fenix 3 (from 2015) and Fenix 5X all support power meter data. They log the data, they process the data internally into Garmin's VO2 performance model and they can display the data in a variety of ways, including charts colour-coded to power zone. Garmin's power-meter based metrics are high-end. There's more power-meter related functionality than what I've bothered to explore. The data also works well with platforms like intervals.icu and Strava (among others). Clever systems also know how to combine the HR and Power data to yield interesting stats (like intervals.icu's HR decoupling, which can indicate insufficient hydration, etc.)

The Rival appears to be an incomplete product that's been pushed out into a very crowded marketplace. Good article by Ray/DCR.

ChrisF

Nov 22, 2020, 1:25 PM

Huh? My Garmin Edge 530 (2020), Fenix 3 (from 2015) and Fenix 5X all support power meter data. They log the data, they process the data internally into Garmin's VO2 performance model and they can display the data in a variety of ways, including charts colour-coded to power zone. Garmin's power-meter based metrics are high-end. There's more power-meter related functionality than what I've bothered to explore. The data also works well with platforms like intervals.icu and Strava (among others). Clever systems also know how to combine the HR and Power data to yield interesting stats (like intervals.icu's HR decoupling, which can indicate insufficient hydration, etc.)

The Rival appears to be an incomplete product that's been pushed out into a very crowded marketplace. Good article by Ray/DCR.

Jip, even the entry level Garmin 130 computer connects to power meters

The Garmin Vivoactive watches are on the lower end of the spectrum, and also link to power meters.

Then again ... watches and cycling are not the best match .... okay if you are only recording data. If you need to monitor data on the go for training ... uhm ja, no ... a watch screen and going at speed on a bike .... nope

Pieterlab1

Nov 22, 2020, 1:36 PM

I did, and cant believe I fell for the Garmin fanboy hype.   It was like I went back to an old 80's Casio.

Swapping 830 computer for a Wahoo, so this looks tempting.   Not yet, but soon.  Just want to lose this Garmin POS and go back to an Apple Watch and will re-evaluate in a year.

Okay.

Kom

Nov 22, 2020, 5:30 PM

Just to qualify, by eco system I include the Kickr and all the IDT products they make.
shaper

Nov 22, 2020, 5:50 PM

Just to qualify, by eco system I include the Kickr, which with the elemnt can playback rides based on power etc, garmin still not doing that since they acquired TacX.

Garmin have been doing playback of courses or trainer workouts controlled by a Garmin head unit since 2015!!

https://youtu.be/QYK2BKG6hBE

aquaratza

Nov 22, 2020, 7:23 PM

lol ????, as shaper said. I also own a Kickr and my Garmins work fine with it.

sirmoun10goat

Nov 23, 2020, 4:26 PM

Wow, are you really trying to compare and Apple Watch to a Garmin. I think you should blame yourself for not understanding the Garmin offering as opposed to the Garmin fanboy hype.

Garmin does not pretend to make smart watches, they make sports watches that have limited smart features.

T_Boss

Nov 23, 2020, 6:13 PM

Wow, are you really trying to compare and Apple Watch to a Garmin. I think you should blame yourself for not understanding the Garmin offering as opposed to the Garmin fanboy hype.

Garmin does not pretend to make smart watches, they make sports watches that have limited smart features.

And then Suunto makes even better sport watches, with even more limited "smart" features......Except for the 7, which is an abonination........haha

Markellis

Nov 27, 2020, 11:04 AM

Yeah I was expecting more from the Rival.

Decided to give Garmin another try.

Cyclelab special on the 6X Pro - R10700. Couldn’t resist

EdwinKraud

Dec 2, 2020, 9:33 PM

I have Garmin. It's really great 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment