Tech

Wahoo launch the Elemnt Bolt bike computer

· By Press Office · 20 comments

Wahoo Fitness, the leader in workout apps and connected fitness devices, today announced ELEMNT BOLT, the latest model in its growing lineup of powerful and easy-touse bike computers. ELEMNT BOLT is the first GPS cycling computer and mount developed as an integrated system designed to drastically reduce drag. When tested against leading competitors using computational fluid dynamics (CFD), the ELEMNT BOLT system reduced air resistance by over 50 percent – equating to a 12.6 second time reduction over a 40-kilometer time trial course for a rider travelling at 21 miles per hour.

ccs-62657-0-66743000-1489575441.jpg

Wahoo reinvented how consumers interact with their bike computer with the Wahoo ELEMNT Bike Computer, launched last Spring. The ELEMNT leverages a powerful companion app to simplify setup and customization, and incorporates game-changing features such as ‘Perfect View’ zoom and ‘Quicklook’.

LED Indicators

Now, Wahoo is addressing the unique needs of the performance-driven rider with the new ELEMNT BOLT. The ELEMNT BOLT pairs the ELEMNT’s groundbreaking ease-of-use and powerful performance with a form factor designed to blend seamlessly with the bike. Wahoo collaborated with world-renowned cycling aerodynamics expert Dimitris Katsanis to develop the BOLT.

ccs-62657-0-53601200-1489575442.gif

“In recent years, the sport of cycling has placed a premium on the study of aerodynamics and gaining a mechanical advantage wherever possible,” said Katsanis. “With this in mind, Wahoo created a bike computer design that lends itself to actually improving results on the bike, in addition to tracking them. We thought about the desired result and worked backwards from there, designing the computer and mount as a single integrated aerodynamic package while still delivering on the core Wahoo user experience.”

“It seems silly professional riders spend hours in the wind tunnel trying to reduce every watt of drag possible on their equipment setup, but until now, no one has focused on the computer design and how it affects performance,” said Chip Hawkins, CEO of Wahoo Fitness. “We designed the ELEMNT BOLT to provide riders with all the data they need to perform at their best, while also improving their results.” Using a high-contrast 2.2-inch display and QuickLook LEDs introduced on the ELEMNT, the ELEMNT BOLT provides riders with easy, at-a-glance access to pertinent ride data, as well as call, text and email notifications. ELEMNT BOLT is equipped with WiFi for over-the-air updates and both ANT+ and Bluetooth, allowing it to connect to sensors of all kinds and the most popular electronic shifting systems.

ccs-62657-0-34337900-1489575555.jpg

As with the Wahoo ELEMNT, all data fields and page configurations on the ELEMNT BOLT can be customized via the ELEMNT companion app available for both iOS and Android. The app also automates the pairing process for fast, frustration-free set-up and personalization.

Pre-loaded with maps from around the world, the ELEMNT BOLT also seamlessly integrates with popular cycling platforms like Strava Live Segments, Best Bike Split Race Plans, and Ride With GPS.

The ELEMNT BOLT retails for R4,999 and is now available for pre-order from www.buycycle.co.za and leading bike dealers.

Related posts

Comments

LOOK695

Mar 15, 2017, 11:29 AM

I like this computer. Lots of features, but most the aero mount. D.C. Rainmaker has a great review

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/wahoo-elemnt-bolt-in-depth-review.html

Pure Savage

Mar 15, 2017, 11:45 AM

Starting to give garmin a run for their money! Is there someone distributing them in SA?

Christian van Zyl

Mar 15, 2017, 11:47 AM

Starting to give garmin a run for their money! Is there someone distributing them in SA?

iKhambi Distribution - www.ikhambi.co.za or 0876541940

bertusras

Mar 15, 2017, 11:57 AM

Am I the only one looking at this statement and rubbing my chin?

the ELEMNT BOLT system reduced air resistance by over 50 percent – equating to a 12.6 second time reduction over a 40-kilometer time trial course for a rider travelling at 21 miles per hour.

shaper

Mar 15, 2017, 12:04 PM

Pity wahoo not connected with Discovery yet... not sure how you will be able to upload for the ponts?

Showtime

Mar 15, 2017, 12:14 PM

It's the language of aero. You only have to say 50% better. Whether it's 50% better than having a sail on the bike or 50% better than the same part with dirty paint is not for us to ask.

Ok I see against leading competitors. But yes I'm also rubbing my chin.

Christian van Zyl

Mar 15, 2017, 12:26 PM

Pity wahoo not connected with Discovery yet... not sure how you will be able to upload for the ponts?

Not yet... But soon :) 

Long Wheel Base

Mar 15, 2017, 12:33 PM

I saw a video on IG of it and showed that mount, regardless of how aero it is, It looks very sexy. I wonder if my edge will fit in that mount? :ph34r:

Not sure if its the same video in the article, I cant watch youtube at work.

awesme

Mar 15, 2017, 12:39 PM

Only thing missing for me is a color display, otherwise awesome device.

G

iKhambi Distribution - www.ikhambi.co.za or 0876541940

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Mar 15, 2017, 12:49 PM

No, but it's only because it's EXTREMELY poorly worded.

A person going at 40KPH will complete a course in the same time regardless of their weight, aero properties or ave wattage. 

What they SHOULD say is that it improves aero to a degree such that your required power output is reduced by X watts. 

Or - if you sustain the same wattage as previously used to attain an avg 40kph, your time would be 12.6s faster. 

Showtime

Mar 15, 2017, 12:51 PM

If we crunch the numbers a bit:

40km at 21mph = 4285 seconds

12.6s saving = 0.29%

21mph would be achieved at ~200W

200W x 0.29% = 0.59W saving

A quick google says shoe covers save ~3.5W so 0.59W seems solid.

You can get 15W savings from the best clincher tyres ... 

the nerd

Mar 15, 2017, 1:02 PM

Only thing missing for me is a color display, otherwise awesome device.

G

Its not a fokkin tamagotchi its a gps/speed tool  :whistling:

PygaSchmyga

Mar 15, 2017, 1:16 PM

The unfortunate thing about the Wahoo products is that if you are with Discovery, and like to accumulate points, then you cannot use the Element to get Vitality points. 

I bought an Element a few months ago, and the okes who distribute were a little economical with the truth on this point, which really pi$$ed me off.  As a result, I never use the blerry thing.  They said you could do manual uploads to Garmin Connect, but Discovery will not credit any workouts manually uploaded or edited.  Only workouts loaded through proprietary websites from the respective manufacturer's devices will be credited, which includes Garmin and Suunto.  Wahoo relies on third party sites, like TrainingPeaks - they do not have their own hosting for data collection.  Sucks, because the devices are lekker

Headshot

Mar 16, 2017, 11:02 AM

I find the aero thing hilarious. I guess we have become so obsessed with the detail there are fewer and fewer marketing points so the dredging starts - "Hey aero is big - lets make our computer fully aero" 

Headshot

Mar 16, 2017, 11:05 AM

No, but it's only because it's EXTREMELY poorly worded.

A person going at 40KPH will complete a course in the same time regardless of their weight, aero properties or ave wattage. 

What they SHOULD say is that it improves aero to a degree such that your required power output is reduced by X watts. 

Or - if you sustain the same wattage as previously used to attain an avg 40kph, your time would be 12.6s faster. 

Exactly, but I recon they left it obscure on purpose. I fail to see how a bike computer can allow a 12.6 sec improvement in time and am calling this BS. I see a Bikeradar myth buster video coming soon...

Pure Savage

Mar 16, 2017, 11:21 AM

Wait, so you cannot export gpx file to garmin connect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grey Hubs

Mar 16, 2017, 11:30 AM

The unfortunate thing about the Wahoo products is that if you are with Discovery, and like to accumulate points, then you cannot use the Element to get Vitality points. 

I bought an Element a few months ago, and the okes who distribute were a little economical with the truth on this point, which really pi$$ed me off.  As a result, I never use the blerry thing.  They said you could do manual uploads to Garmin Connect, but Discovery will not credit any workouts manually uploaded or edited.  Only workouts loaded through proprietary websites from the respective manufacturer's devices will be credited, which includes Garmin and Suunto.  Wahoo relies on third party sites, like TrainingPeaks - they do not have their own hosting for data collection.  Sucks, because the devices are lekker

To be honest, I've given up on Discovery dictating what I can or can't do for really minimal gains from them...Ditch Vitality and free yourself from the chains of empty promises :whistling:  :ph34r:

Sorry, I would agree that they are limited too and not Garmin like...

Christian van Zyl

Mar 16, 2017, 1:01 PM

Wait, so you cannot export gpx file to garmin connect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can using Strava. 

Dazshell

Mar 16, 2017, 1:27 PM

Does anyone know what comes in the "bundle" or is it just the unit and mount.  Heart-rate monitor? Cadence sensor? Speed sensor? Etc.?

Christian van Zyl

Mar 16, 2017, 6:47 PM

Does anyone know what comes in the "bundle" or is it just the unit and mount.  Heart-rate monitor? Cadence sensor? Speed sensor? Etc.?

This is the stand alone unit only. It comes with three mounts TRI Bar, Out Front and stem mounts. 

Bundles will be available in roughly 1 month. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment