Tech

YT reveal smaller wheeled Jeffsy 27 trail bike

· By Press Office · 26 comments

Not even one month after presenting the new 2017 bike range YT is at it again, rolling out another trail bike – the JEFFSY 27.

ccs-62657-0-11371300-1487157384.jpgJeffsy 27 CF Pro Race Silver.

It was only last year that YT appeared in the all-mountain market, where they made quite an impression. This segment now sees further growth with the arrival of another model: The JEFFSY 27 is the right choice for those seeking an even more agile and playful bike than the JEFFSY 29 – already one of the most fun-loving 29ers on the market. When it comes to getting aggressive, JEFFSY 27 follows in the footsteps of its big brother, too: in giving it a little bit extra travel, the developers made sure this 27.5” bike won ‘t get hung up on rough terrain. It is available with 160mm of travel on the top of the range model, and 150mm on the rest of the line-up. When it comes to suspension travel, the 160mm JEFFSY CF Pro Race is most suited for racing applications, where in addition to pedaling efficiently the bike also needs to have a tad more gravity potential. YT team rider Bryan Regnier will use JEFFSY for several Enduro World Series races this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbiR3WqrVAs&

When choosing the right wheel size for you, your personal preferences, your riding style, and of course also the terrain you ride all play an important role in the decision. Everybody should decide for themselves which wheel size is most appropriate for them. At the end of the day, it’s not about numbers but about how much fun you’re having on your bike. Everything is what you make of it.
Markus Flossmann, CEO.

Technical Data

The carbon frame weighs in at a scant 2300 grams, while its aluminum counterpart tips the scales at 2900 grams. Just like on the JEFFSY 29, a Flip Chip lets you dial in your ride: in the low position, you get an aggressive, 66-degree head angle and a significant BB drop 15mm). Those who climb a lot might prefer the high position, which yields a 75.5-degree effective seat angle. Naturally, YT’s highly acclaimed V4L suspension layout is also used on JEFFSY 27; it provides great small-bump sensitivity, good mid-stroke support and significant end-stroke progressivity. The BOOST standard was used for the rear axle spacing and the crank in order to provide more space between the chain ring, chain stays, and tire. An E-Type mount makes sure you can always install a front derailleur, even on the single chain ring models. Last but not least, the protectors on the stays help keep drive train noise to a minimum, whilst the discretely integrated alloy “chain suck guides” protect from damage caused by a fallen chain.

The Carbon Models

The JEFFSY 27 is available in four carbon versions: CF Pro Race, CF Pro, CF One, and CF Two. The top of the line JEFFSY 27 CF Pro Race features only the very best parts, which makes it an ideal choice for racers and pro riders. It is also the only bike in the range that offers 160mm of travel, ready to get rowdy. The Kashima coated FOX Factory suspension components were designed for aggressive trail riding and serious enduro racing, and they are both ready to mix it up with the best. Drivetrain wise the choice felt to e*thirteen being a very reliable and robust cassette for racing with its perfect range of gears. Carbon wheels, crank, and handlebar help keep JEFFSY’s weight really low, this rocket weighs a mere 12.4 kg.

ccs-62657-0-03617500-1487157644.jpgJeffsy 27 CF Pro.
ccs-62657-0-36266200-1487157645.jpgJeffsy 27 CF One.

The JEFFSY 27 CF Pro is also a convincing package with extraordinary specs: The FOX Performance Elite suspension shines with top-class responsiveness on aggressive downhill sections as it comes with exact the same damping cartridge as the big brother Factory Series. In fact, the only difference between the Performance Elite fork and the Factory Series are the hard-anodized stanchions. Another eye-catcher on the CF Pro: the SRAM Eagle transmission which with its twelve gears makes the front derailleur superfluous. Those who prefer RockShox suspension will find themselves in great company with the JEFFSY 27 CF One or CF Two. The CF One offers a crisp, 11-speed SRAM transmission while the CF Two provides 2×11 gears via Shimano’s XT group.

ccs-62657-0-14019000-1487157646.jpgJeffsy 27 CF Two.

The Aluminum Models

When it comes to aluminum, YT offers a choice between the JEFFSY 27 AL One and AL Two. Neither have anything to envy their carbon colleagues, since they are both based on the same frame platform. The user-friendly suspension components are easy to set up and adjust, even for beginners. Both bikes offer 150mm of ready-to-rumble suspension travel front and rear: A RockShox Pike RC fork and Deluxe RT shock on the AL One, and a RockShox Pike RC and Deluxe R on the AL Two. The biggest difference between the two aluminum models is the drivetrain: the AL One features a SRAM X1 1×11 transmission while the AL Two goes 2×11 with SRAM GX.

ccs-62657-0-96013200-1487157646.jpgJeffsy 27 AL One.
ccs-62657-0-01460900-1487157650.jpgJeffsy 27 AL.

All models come in S, M, L, and XL sizes and are available to order as of today on the website www.yt-industries.com. At the end of April YT’s Rolling Circus will once again head out with all the different JEFFSY models on a huge test tour of Europe’s trail centers and bike parks. The exact dates and places will be published in March.

ccs-62657-0-41562200-1487157171.jpeg
ccs-62657-0-23858000-1487157172.jpeg
ccs-62657-0-30704000-1487157173.jpeg
ccs-62657-0-34597600-1487157175.jpeg

Comments

Headshot

Feb 15, 2017, 11:42 AM

Nice, but as usual we are ripped off in SA. The cheapest model is a R30k bike in the UK or EU but we are charged close to R50k for it? The same applies to other dealers and brands. Friend bought a Yeti ASR a year so so back - cost under R70k. Now his Epic partner just paid R100k for the same bike. Exchange rate has improved of late but the price goes up 40%! 

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Feb 15, 2017, 11:45 AM

Direct sales model not so direct anymore... 

T-Bob

Feb 15, 2017, 11:45 AM

Nice looking bike. @ under R30k if you got it in the UK for the 'base' alu model with its Pike, Deluxe and a good bit of GX it's makes a lot of sense and the direct sales model works. @ R46K here it's slightly less attractive but sits in a well populated bracket. 

stefmeister

Feb 15, 2017, 12:01 PM

Grrrr, skip. For me, as a minimum requirement the frame needs to house a full sized water bottle inside the front triangle.

Feb 15, 2017, 12:10 PM

Nice looking bike. @ under R30k if you got it in the UK for the 'base' alu model with its Pike, Deluxe and a good bit of GX it's makes a lot of sense and the direct sales model works. @ R46K here it's slightly less attractive but sits in a well populated bracket. 

dude, if it was 30k here.....WOW. 

Even with the 15% duty on the full price, you're at a ticket price of R 34k. The price shown there incl VAT in countries apart from the States. 

Notsodirect sales model. 

NicoBoshoff

Feb 15, 2017, 12:13 PM

I am p*ssing myself at the industry right now.

All of a sudden we're swinging back towards trail bikes with more sensible geometry numbers as our go-to bike.  A year ago people were falling over themselves to try and get more travel, slacker angles and longer wheelbases on everything. In 2015 short travel, but slack AF was the rage.  Next year?  Mid-travel, and efficient angles? *GASP* You mean like bikes were in 2014?

And guess what, you're still going to ride the way you rode, with the people you rode, where you rode.

So as always, #gof*ckyourselfbikeindustry

NicoBoshoff

Feb 15, 2017, 12:31 PM

dude, if it was 30k here.....WOW. 

Even with the 15% duty on the full price, you're at a ticket price of R 34k. The price shown there incl VAT in countries apart from the States. 

Notsodirect sales model. 

So would they ship here?  Would it be cheaper to just have it DHL'ed and take the duties knock?  If so, that must be the death-knell for the local distributor, no?

hansolo

Feb 15, 2017, 12:38 PM

Close to a R17k price difference on the cheapest model compared to Europe. You could almost justify a quick European holiday to make up the difference!

NicoBoshoff

Feb 15, 2017, 12:40 PM

Close to a R17k price difference on the cheapest model compared to Europe. You could almost justify a quick European holiday to make up the difference!

Almost? You can definitely go over to a bikepark for a week with a boxed cash crusaders special go ride your YT in the parks for 5 days and come back a winner.

Duane_Bosch

Feb 15, 2017, 12:41 PM

So would they ship here?  Would it be cheaper to just have it DHL'ed and take the duties knock?  If so, that must be the death-knell for the local distributor, no?

1. Take the 50k

2. Order the bike for Euro delivery. I'm not sure where. Maybe somewhere random like.... I don't know. Morzine? I've heard there are some ok trails there.

3. Go spend a week in this Morzine place getting to know the bike

4. Come home.

Duane_Bosch

Feb 15, 2017, 12:42 PM

What do you mean almost? You CAN TOTALLY spend a week in the Alps for under 17k.

Feb 15, 2017, 12:45 PM

no, afaik you HAVE to go through the local guys. 

NicoBoshoff

Feb 15, 2017, 12:45 PM

I see the ZAR is back to pre-August 2015 levels again...flirting with sub-13 to the USD.  These prices aren't adding up.

NicoBoshoff

Feb 15, 2017, 12:46 PM

no, afaik you HAVE to go through the local guys. 

Yeah, Duane's option is better anyways.  "Honey, DHL phoned and my package is ready for collection. I'll be right back..." 

Feb 15, 2017, 12:47 PM

I see the ZAR is back to pre-August 2015 levels again...flirting with sub-13 to the USD.  These prices aren't adding up.

and unlike the differences we talked about last year (giant price vs spaz price and the Reign Adv 1's hike to ~ 75k from 50k) these ones can't be explained away with exchange rate fluctuations. 

T-Bob

Feb 15, 2017, 12:51 PM

Weren't Travelstart showing out R4K flights to Portugal? Actually I have to go back to the UK for a month to deal with my Mom's estate in the near future. Hummmm... Any one want to purchase a very awesome, imaccualte Transition Smuggler??? :)

NicoBoshoff

Feb 15, 2017, 12:55 PM

Weren't Travelstart showing out R4K flights to Portugal? Actually I have to go back to the UK for a month to deal with my Mom's estate in the near future. Hummmm... Any one want to purchase a very awesome, imaccualte Transition Smuggler??? :)

Dude at R30k, one's inclined to pull out the N+1 card here.  Ok wait, I just realised how ridiculous that sounded...the bar for what's cheap has been demolished.

Odinson

Feb 15, 2017, 12:59 PM

Hory sheet!

Those bikes are *** hot!

The German direct-sales guys are a path to world domination.

Feb 15, 2017, 1:01 PM

Dude at R30k, one's inclined to pull out the N+1 card here.  Ok wait, I just realised how ridiculous that sounded...the bar for what's cheap has been demolished.

hahahahahahaha! 

I remember you deliberating about that last time. How times have changed, eh?

T-Bob

Feb 15, 2017, 1:01 PM

Yeah I tried that when I bought the Smuggler... then built up the 160mm DeeDar Steel hardtail under the guise 'no honey it's YOUR bike, now we're teaching the little rug rat to ride, you'll need a bike to go around the common with him'. Not sure if the YT can be slipped in as the my sons' step up from the balance bike. 

Update: 

The start of a plan... 

post-15825-0-04093400-1487164067_thumb.png

Headshot

Feb 15, 2017, 1:26 PM

I am p*ssing myself at the industry right now.

All of a sudden we're swinging back towards trail bikes with more sensible geometry numbers as our go-to bike.  A year ago people were falling over themselves to try and get more travel, slacker angles and longer wheelbases on everything. In 2015 short travel, but slack AF was the rage.  Next year?  Mid-travel, and efficient angles? *GASP* You mean like bikes were in 2014?

And guess what, you're still going to ride the way you rode, with the people you rode, where you rode.

So as always, #gof*ckyourselfbikeindustry

Ya my "ancient" 26er is now more on the money than ever. And if you read the first ride review of the 27 Jeffsy, it sounds like there is barely any difference between it and the Capra except it pedals up hills better. The bike industry is such a fun place. As someone else put it - think of something a few people will want and then convince everyone else they need it too. 

Feb 15, 2017, 1:30 PM

Ya my "ancient" 26er is now more on the money than ever. And if you read the first ride review of the 27 Jeffsy, it sounds like there is barely any difference between it and the Capra except it pedals up hills better. The bike industry is such a fun place. As someone else put it - think of something a few people will want and then convince everyone else they need it too. 

The way I read it is that the Capra is the Enduro Bruiser / Tank. Give it anything and it'll just take it on regardless. Steamrolling over everything in its path. The bicycle equivalent of Tito Ortiz. Not great on the ups, but when it gathers steam - look out. 

The Jeffsy 27, on the other hand, is the bouncing, leaping form of Connor McGregor. Calculated, light and precise. But punches above its weight class. Goes damn fast up and down.

The mid-rut line changer & rock hopper, vs the DILLIGAF get out my way kinda ride. 

Feb 15, 2017, 1:34 PM

"An adept climber and a fun loving descender, the Jeffsy 27 felt like the culmination of both the Jeffsy 29 and indeed, the Capra, when confronting a variety of wildly contrasting terrain types. While distinctions must be made between the Jeffsy 27 and the Capra, the versatility to tackle aggressive terrain will suit those of us who spend most of their time extracting the fun from the kind of trails where a Capra would be nothing short of overkill, but similarly, like to push personal boundaries from time to time"

Headshot

Feb 15, 2017, 1:36 PM

The way I read it is that the Capra is the Enduro Bruiser / Tank. Give it anything and it'll just take it on regardless. Steamrolling over everything in its path. The bicycle equivalent of Tito Ortiz. Not great on the ups, but when it gathers steam - look out. 

The Jeffsy 27, on the other hand, is the bouncing, leaping form of Connor McGregor. Calculated, light and precise. But punches above its weight class. Goes damn fast up and down.

The mid-rut line changer & rock hopper, vs the DILLIGAF get out my way kinda ride. 

I think you need one of each Myles. So does YT.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment