Tyres for Epic

Seandmerida96

Hi All, Please help!!!! Seem to have all the tech bits sorted but, and its a big but. I keep getting conflicting advice regarding rubber for the event. What do you guys think are the most suitable tyres???

Edited by Seandmerida96

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done the epic so I can talk from personal experince.

Reading what Kevin Evans is doing I would suggest propper tubless tyres. No point in trying to save a few grams.

Conti race king / moutain king combo maybe?

I haven't done the epic so I can talk from personal experince.

Reading what Kevin Evans is doing I would suggest propper tubless tyres. No point in trying to save a few grams.

Conti race king / moutain king combo maybe?

No doubt I will go UST, Or Tubeless ready!

ANY UST tyre will get you there!! Conti's maybe a little faster? :D

Do NOT opt for thin sidewall stuff...that's all!

Racing Ralph no good in my experience. Mountain Kings are great, as are Monorails. Go heavy, it's worth it.

Racing Ralph no good in my experience. Mountain Kings are great, as are Monorails. Go heavy, it's worth it.

Hi Intern,

Coming from Euro land I'm keen to know what your issues with the racing ralphs was and if you used proper UST RR's or the standard tubeless ready RR.

Ta

So far I'm leaning towards Maxxis LUST Monrails or crossmax, but seeing I've been using Schwable Ralphs and Rons for the last 7 years its hard to suddenly try new rubber....

Conti Race King front and back.

Replaced mine two weeks ago - they had over 5000 km's on them that included last year's Epic and this year's Attakwas.

What tyres pressures do you guys run? I weigh 60kg and I rode the argus mtb and found it difficult cornering and handling the bike.

I had the same concerns - finally went for durability - maxis crossmark full ust front and rear, not light but would rather have the extra security

Rode my 1st Epic on Maxxis crossmarks. - although i think Monorail front and crossmark rear is better. LUST

2nd Epic on Spesh Fastrak LK's - also very good and way lighter.

Maxxis was more bullet proof.

Get your pressures right before hand, spesh likes to be a little harder than maxxis

Hi, my 2cents worth

Partner and I rode 2.2 Conti Race king back, 2.2 Mountain King Front (2 bar rear and 1.8bar front) Sludge.

No issues at all.

good luck and enjoy.

Hi Sean,

I am using the Schwable Racing Ralph UST rear and Nobbly Nick front. I have been using these all season (including attakwas) with no issues. I think any tyre that is UST should be fine, and it also comes down to tyre pressure. What tyre do you normally use?

Do you need a reason to change tyres now?

P.s Good luck with Argus, and we see you in a few weeks

Regards

Wayne Champion

If you want tough tyres that will survive the Cape terain and especially if you tend to ride hard through rock gardens, do not use the Race Kings or similar weight UST tyres. They are (or were - a new version out yet?) only marginally tougher than a std tyre. Maxxis USTs are far tougher (and heavier)and refit more easily if you do manage to lose air. The RK's and such like are so floppy they are hard to pump even on a proper UST rim. Try and avoid using a stans or other converted set up. You'll struggle to reinflate after a flat and the co2 bomb trick dries up the sealant so you'll have more work back at the finish. Can't stress enough how much better proper UST rims are than converted tubeless systems.

Used 2.2 Race King/Mountain King combo in the 2009 and 2010 Epics. Not 1 puncture. come to think of it, I haven't had a puncture using these. At the start line of the Epic last year I would say most people were using the Race King/Mountain King combo. I might only have noticed this though, as I was using the same setup.