Single speed projects

divernick

Opinions needed:

Would you think this is salvageable into an SS bicycle?

118139213_3766988179997928_4613389070770

So it turns out the wheels on here are 650 and not 700's. If there is enough space in the fork and frame would it be possible to easily change to 700 wheels, and if so, what impact will that have on brake positioning?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it turns out the wheels on here are 650 and not 700's. If there is enough space in the fork and frame would it be possible to easily change to 700 wheels, and if so, what impact will that have on brake positioning?

looks like it from the pics...the biggest issue is usually having enough adjustability in the breaking blocks to get the surfaces lined up for the bigger wheels. If you can manage that...the rest looks like it might fit from the pics. There seems to be space in the frame for a bigger wheel. Otherwise just make it a fixie...no brakes required.

I'll ad though that the fork looks bent to me. As in it took a knock from the front? might be wrong though. Maybe take it out and have a look at the steerer. 

Edited by morneS555

looks like it from the pics...the biggest issue is usually having enough adjustability in the breaking blocks to get the surfaces lined up for the bigger wheels. If you can manage that...the rest looks like it might fit from the pics. There seems to be space in the frame for a bigger wheel. Otherwise just make it a fixie...no brakes required.

I'll ad though that the fork looks bent to me. As in it took a knock from the front? might be wrong though. Maybe take it out and have a look at the steerer. 

There seems to be enough space yes. I was just worried about the brakes so I will have to make a plan there. I am not too keen on the fixie idea (not sure if I am ready for that yet) perhaps just a rear brake? Rear seems to be an easier fix than front. 

I will also have a look at the fork, thanks! Lots more questions to follow....

Another question - wheels and more specifically wheel axle bolts.

I see all single speed bicycles have wheel axles that bolt on to the fork and rear stays. Is there a specific reason for that? Would I be able to use road rims with quick release skewers on a single speed?

I see all single speed bicycles have wheel axles that bolt on to the fork and rear stays. Is there a specific reason for that? Would I be able to use road rims with quick release skewers on a single speed?

From what I have seen on the internet, bolt on axles are preferred but quick release is not entirely ruled out. Does anyone have some experience with this? Recommendations? 

If I go bolt on axles, where does one even start looking for a basic wheel set?

• 3 months later...

Have at it. There are SS specific frames and there are conversions. Mine is a Tarmac sworks frame.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys. Need some help getting my SS ideas in order. I have been toying with the idea of building a SS mtb but have talked myself out if it when looking at SS Specific Steel (laarnie) Build. Thought I had a way forward when I decided to buy a budget 26er V Brake bike for a steal but when I added uo the cost for new wheels and brakes etc I mused that perhaps a disc brake newer 26er would be more cost effective in the long run. If I had the budget I would go for a nice 29er and not dabble in the project. I have read this thread studiously and gather that it may be a personal choice thing but hope that the guys who built some of these lovely 26er SSs could share their experiences. Did you eventually hanker to go 29er?? My question is: Would you do 26 v brake 26 Disc or 29er?? What spec geared bike would you consider as a good value starting point? Sorry Noob questions but had to dive in somewhere :-) Thanks a mill.

Edited by Ryan

Hi Guys. Need some help getting my SS ideas in order. I have been toying with the idea of building a SS mtb but have talked myself out if it when looking at SS Specific Steel (laarnie) Build. Thought I had a way forward when I decided to buy a budget 26er V Brake bike for a steal but when I added uo the cost for new wheel and brakes etc I mused that perhaps a siac brake newer 26er would be more cost effective in the long run. If I had the budget I would go for a nice 29er and not dabble in the project. I have read this thread studiously and gather that it may be a personal choice thing but hope that the guys who built some of these lovely 26er SSs could share their experiences. Did you eventually hanker to go 29er?? Thanks a mill.

I built my Cotic BFe as  26" Single speed and it is a total hoot, the combination of a big 150mm fork and  no choice but to pedal  made it  a huge amount  of fun  especially on steeper trails like jonkes and helderberg.  

as soon as the roads got flat it was frustrating , spinnig out and taking forever to cover ground.

i used a simple 2sprocket chain tensioner - worked well

Edited by phenning

Normally when you build a SS you do it with the spares you got lying around. In your case it happens to be a 26 V-brake frame , then that is what you must use. There are no rules when building a SS except for it should not have GEARS. 26 Vbrake would be awesome although not as cool as a 26 back pedal setup.

I built my Cotic BFe as  26" Single speed and it is a total hoot, the combination of a big 150mm fork and  no choice but to pedal  made it  a huge amount  of fun  especially on steeper trails like jonkes and helderberg.  

as soon as the roads got flat it was frustrating , spinnig out and taking forever to cover ground.

i used a simple 2sprocket chain tensioner - worked well

Thanks for the input. Struggling to find SS Conversion kit. I see Rapide are our of stock of spacers and cogs

• 7 months later...
58 minutes ago, Fork-it said:

Finally put all the pieces of the puzzle together. I had a lot of fun with this build. Learned a lot and made good friends along the way. 

20210912_154123.jpg

20210912_155428 A (2.jpg

Gawjuss

3 hours ago, Fork-it said:

Finally put all the pieces of the puzzle together. I had a lot of fun with this build. Learned a lot and made good friends along the way. 

20210912_154123.jpg

20210912_155428 A (2.jpg

Nice bike!

Nice pics!

Enjoy!

23 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

What does that weigh, looks svelte......

Thank you, never even considered weight. Is that a thing with steel bikes? Would be interesting to find out though.