Disgusted Argus 2011

Seandmerida96

Yes I agree totally, he is upset that Uwe Schmidt beat him and for him to say he bought the SA jersey is nothing but a slap in the face to Uwe and shows how much he knows about the people in the sport.

What amazes me so much is that everyones lives revolve around the Argus and doing the "all mighty god" time of under 3hrs. Its like if they dont do it then they nothing to brag about at the office on Monday cause all year they have been bullshitting their co-workers that they are some seasoned athlete-close to Pro on a bike yet cant do under 3hrs.

Its sad to think that some peoples lives are so empty that its come to this.

Its a race, deal with it and move on cause you can always try next year

And if a non cyclist colleague asked you in what time did you complete the Argus they don't give a sh*t if you finished in 3 hours or 6 hours , it's like the Comrades they are just interested whether you finished so yeah I don't know why so many cyclists' live revolves around the mighty sub 3 :unsure: , it's a beautiful race with nice scenery and full road closure why not enjoy the race instead of beating yourself up by being entry 3999 instead of 3998 to finish the Argus.

I ask the cycling gods for a few things at the start of every race, including the Argus.

1/ my safety

2/ my best effort under my surrounding life circumstances, and

3/ may I have beautiful moments in the heat and intensity of racing.

Of course, a lekka time is great reward.

And if a non cyclist colleague asked you in what time did you complete the Argus they don't give a sh*t if you finished in 3 hours or 6 hours , it's like the Comrades they are just interested whether you finished so yeah I don't know why so many cyclists' live revolves around the mighty sub 3 , it's a beautiful race with nice scenery and full road closure why not enjoy the race instead of beating yourself up by being entry 3999 instead of 3998 to finish the Argus

I agree - racing is so over rated - cyclists new and old are obsessed with a sub 3 - as if their lives depend on it. Races are also over rated - I just don't see the need to race anymore because people lose the insight and joy of cycling - enjoy the scenery, the ride etc .... to beat myself up for not finishing sub 3 - no can do !!

I agree - racing is so over rated - cyclists new and old are obsessed with a sub 3 - as if their lives depend on it. Races are also over rated - I just don't see the need to race anymore because people lose the insight and joy of cycling - enjoy the scenery, the ride etc .... to beat myself up for not finishing sub 3 - no can do !!

Very much disagree. It's everyone's own preference. I love racing, and I love setting myself targets. A sub 3 at the Argus is an achievement. If I make it, I am happy. If not, I am a little dissapointed, still had a great day and come back to try again next year. I also have PB that i want to achieve at the Amashova, the Kremetart, the Sabie Experience, Attakwas, etc, etc. What's wrong with being ambitious? Besides, there is no thrill like sitting in a fast bunch, putting your head down and pushing beyond your limits to stay on, then to recover and maybe go back to take a turn in the front.

I come back for the scenery on another day.

If you dont like it, dont wear a chip, dont care about seeding and go for a marshalled, well organised out-ride from group XX. Also ok with me.

Very much disagree. It's everyone's own preference. I love racing, and I love setting myself targets. A sub 3 at the Argus is an achievement. If I make it, I am happy. If not, I am a little dissapointed, still had a great day and come back to try again next year. I also have PB that i want to achieve at the Amashova, the Kremetart, the Sabie Experience, Attakwas, etc, etc. What's wrong with being ambitious? Besides, there is no thrill like sitting in a fast bunch, putting your head down and pushing beyond your limits to stay on, then to recover and maybe go back to take a turn in the front.

I come back for the scenery on another day.

If you dont like it, dont wear a chip, dont care about seeding and go for a marshalled, well organised out-ride from group XX. Also ok with me.

Kletterer,

I'm with you. Great post!

As I also say "whatever bakes your noodle". It's your life, my life, man...

I definitely have my personal objectives when it comes to life - endurance sports, friendships, my love life, travel, spirit, moola, etc.

And, it is my bizness.

Of course, it is lekka to share it here in the Hub Universe, specifically 'two wheel' news...

^_^

Edited by AirBender

Yes I agree totally, he is upset that Uwe Schmidt beat him and for him to say he bought the SA jersey is nothing but a slap in the face to Uwe and shows how much he knows about the people in the sport.

What amazes me so much is that everyones lives revolve around the Argus and doing the "all mighty god" time of under 3hrs. Its like if they dont do it then they nothing to brag about at the office on Monday cause all year they have been bullshitting their co-workers that they are some seasoned athlete-close to Pro on a bike yet cant do under 3hrs.

Its sad to think that some peoples lives are so empty that its come to this.

Its a race, deal with it and move on cause you can always try next year

Fully Agreed. Life goes on.

Yeah sure - set goals - ride your guts out for a sub 3 and whether or not U accept it or are dissappointed when U don't make it life goes on. From where I'm sitting I see obsession - Again nothing wrong with ambition ... I have done sub 3's and sat back - asked: what now? I've done a few so where to from here ?....... To beat myself up about not getting it is worthless spilled milk.

The first thing some cyclists ask U when they meet U on the road training - "What race are U training for?" man the same question over and over - I don't race anymore ... it's like shock when they hear U not interested ..what/why etc ?? I mean really now.

Yeah the Almighty Argus & 94.7 ....... ask some of them to do a sub 3 at the Race for Victory ... they'll run for cover !!!!

And if a non cyclist colleague asked you in what time did you complete the Argus they don't give a sh*t if you finished in 3 hours or 6 hours , it's like the Comrades they are just interested whether you finished so yeah I don't know why so many cyclists' live revolves around the mighty sub 3 , it's a beautiful race with nice scenery and full road closure why not enjoy the race instead of beating yourself up by being entry 3999 instead of 3998 to finish the Argus

was checking the schedule (with descriptions) on dstv on Sunday morning, and Argus 'It is the worlds biggest timed event and about 40000 competitors take on this "gruelling" event' Gruelling? :lol: :lol:

was checking the schedule (with descriptions) on dstv on Sunday morning, and Argus 'It is the worlds biggest timed event and about 40000 competitors take on this "gruelling" event' Gruelling? :lol: :lol:

Sure its pretty grueling for cyclist seeded 20 000 and above. I know when I got on the bike a few years ago (2004) as part of a work team. I did about 4:20 with no training. I dropped my medal at the finish and could not bend down to pick it up as everything was in spasm. Some kind soul handed it to me eventually :blush: Swore never again ...

Edited by stratus5

Bpayne, you are a star! Hit it on thr head and well said.

Benedeja - yip, you also got it right.

Wish people would get a life outside of one Argus to another

Shame...... you should have enjoyed yourself. Thinkof those who could not make it and perhaps even beat you.

Shot guys.

Give the dude a break. He's into his cycling where some of you were 10-20 years ago.If the argus is a big deal to him, great.

@Bpayne: You cried foul about stage 2 in a Tour de Boland post last week as if it's the end of the world and nobody grilled you.

Live and let live, buddy.

Edited by Fester

Fester, I cried foul cause riders cheated. There is a very very big difference here unless someone cheated to get their sub 3.

To me cheaters have no place.

If they are then able to ride with that group, maybe their seeding wasn't perfect anyway.

or maybe the seeding was right, and they didn't belong in the faster group, and made the ride dangerous for themselves and for others.

why not do a seeding ride or 2 and get that better seeding, if you really belong there?