Formula 1...

'Dale

Great race! I remember intentionally skipping watching the Spain GP due to the likelihood of it being a procession, but glad I didn't make that same mistake again. Merc under real pressure this season and unlike in their 2017 and 2018 battle with Ferrari, I don't think RBR with Max and Perez are going to drop the ball. RBR 1-2 is just around the corner and what a statement that will be. 

Still a long way to go of course, on and off track. Seems like things have gone a bit quiet regarding some teams trying to bend the rules. Pirelli/FIA also keeping the teams under pressure to remain within specs.

What I've been wondering though is, say the regulations didn't change as much (or at all) with regards to the floor and diffuser, would RBR have been able to match Merc just by having a better package to start with anyway? Surely with their better understanding of their car and improved Honda engine, they'd have possibly been a better match for the Merc this season anyway? 

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Merc do what Lewis wants, even if it means loosing the race. He says jump and they all say how high. Bottas seems to finally be getting irritated. For a Fin to get worked up it must take a lot, they some of the most chilled people around.

Merc publicly apologizing to Sir Lewis was rather pathetic. He owes much his success to them.

2 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

Merc publicly apologizing to Sir Lewis was rather pathetic. He owes much his success to them.

The team is showing cracks and lack of unison. On the flip side, RBR is pulling as a single unit. As Mr Lance Armstrong says “Mr. Momentum is in the house”

9 hours ago, MrJacques said:

I doubt we'll see Bottas with Merc next year. He's dismissed rumours, but it it seems likely that they will replace him or he'll just want to leave.

I want to agree but taking him out means george is in , and if george is in Lewis is just gona get another wave of whoop ass ontop of verstappen 

16 hours ago, aiyaaz said:

Great race! I remember intentionally skipping watching the Spain FRANCE GP due to the likelihood of it being a procession, but glad I didn't make that same mistake again. Merc under real pressure this season and unlike in their 2017 and 2018 battle with Ferrari, I don't think RBR with Max and Perez are going to drop the ball. RBR 1-2 is just around the corner and what a statement that will be. 

Still a long way to go of course, on and off track. Seems like things have gone a bit quiet regarding some teams trying to bend the rules. Pirelli/FIA also keeping the teams under pressure to remain within specs.

What I've been wondering though is, say the regulations didn't change as much (or at all) with regards to the floor and diffuser, would RBR have been able to match Merc just by having a better package to start with anyway? Surely with their better understanding of their car and improved Honda engine, they'd have possibly been a better match for the Merc this season anyway? 

????

So that was probably the most Merc friendly track. We now have Austria and Styrian GP. 

Who is going to be fast - MERC and RBR - We have not seen a tangle yet between Ham and Ver - Austria has some great passing opportunities, maybe we get the first bit of argy bargy between the two.

Mclaren is going to fly here, this was their best circuit last year, Ferrari going to struggle with no power, Aston Martin could do well and Team Gasly will do as well. Alpine, not really sure, this was a nightmare last year for them reliability wise.

Would be nice to have another random podium.

3 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Liking the look of the new 2022 cars, a lot smaller and hopefully more nimble. If they could be less reliant on airflow that would help the racing too.

Not so sure about being smaller or nimbler. The minimum weight will actually go up to 790kg. This also causes more issues for tyres.

Some of the changes

This is apparently the ninth iteration of the concept, and is meant to reduce downforce loss when following another car from 70% loss to just 20% loss in the same situation.

• Reduction in front tyre width to 270mm (rear remains 405mm) with 710mm outer diameter 18" tyres [already confirmed]
  • Maximum(or mandatory?) wheelbase of 3400mm (down from 3600 to 3650mm of 2019 cars)
  • Front wing rule builds upon the 2019 rule to have a three-element front wing connected directly to nose (i.e., no Y250 vortex), with 50-100mm lesser overall width than 2019, end plates appear to remain similar
  • Apparent removal of "stub" nose loophole
  • Fins over front wheels to manage front wheel wake
  • Flat floor rule is generally abandoned, with no more tea tray etc
  • Champcar style underbody inlet with vortex generator strakes. Prescribed tunnel inlet area. The current unrestricted bodywork areas around the bargeboards are presumably eliminated.
  • Greater diffuser angle than 2019 F1 cars with the diffuser starting further up the car and ahead of the ahead of the rear axle, similar to older CART cars or the Swift Formula Nippon car
  • Rear wing blends into endplates with no more separate vertical pieces
  • +50kg on minimum weight due to various (heavy) standard parts

1 hour ago, MrJacques said:

Not so sure about being smaller or nimbler. The minimum weight will actually go up to 790kg. This also causes more issues for tyres.

They really need to bring back multiple tyre manufacturers. I saw last week Pirelli were celebrating some achievement about the number of pole positions they have won. Like seriously, they get them all at the moment.

2 hours ago, MrJacques said:

From the side by side comparison shots I have seen the wheelbase is significantly shorter, hence my thinking this would make it nimbler. Weight increase is marginal, and the will keep the COG low so it could be a benefit creating more mechanical grip........

1 hour ago, Long Wheel Base said:

They really need to bring back multiple tyre manufacturers. I saw last week Pirelli were celebrating some achievement about the number of pole positions they have won. Like seriously, they get them all at the moment.

I am very much for a spec tyre/ECU, etc. It works well in other series, Pirelli just needs to up their game in F1.