Formula 1...

'Dale

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Liking the look of the new 2022 cars, a lot smaller and hopefully more nimble. If they could be less reliant on airflow that would help the racing too.

THey are not that much shorter, still over 5m in length and 2m wide, they also going to be heavier.

2 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

They really need to bring back multiple tyre manufacturers. I saw last week Pirelli were celebrating some achievement about the number of pole positions they have won. Like seriously, they get them all at the moment.

I dont know, I remember bridgestone and Michelin and it just made the gaps bigger and nothing to do with the team.

1 hour ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

I am very much for a spec tyre/ECU, etc. It works well in other series, Pirelli just needs to up their game in F1.

I do agree as it then prevents situations like half the grid from not starting the race like the Americas(I think?) GP many years ago, but then they shouldn't brag about getting your 100th pole when you the sole supplier. Just daft to me.

Maybe a multi sponsor kinda deal like the safety car(I know its AMG and the aston uses the engine but you catch y drift). Even races, everyone that makes it into Q1 uses a Pirelli, the rest use Good Year. Odd races, everyone that makes it into Q1 uses Good Year............... something like that would be cool.

You must bear in mind that the entire development of a car is based around the tyres. So having different tyres throughout the season will be a massive R&D burden. You need to stick with something throughout the season at least. Spec tyres are not the issue in my opinion. Most world series' have them now and racing overall is just fine. The actual performance of the spec tyre is under question, that's for sure.

21 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

By that logic we might as well suggest one engine and chassis manufacturer too then.

Completely different as the cars manufacturers do not make tyres. Tyre's are the consumable here, should be made to an acceptable standard

2 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Completely different as the cars manufacturers do not make tyres. Tyre's are the consumable here, should be made to an acceptable standard

Nothing drives performance standards like competition. 

2 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

Nothing drives performance standards like competition. 

I agree but you have to have some constants. Al the great race series at the moment (MotoGP, WSBK, MotoAmerica, Australian supercars) all have standard tyres. It makes for better racing and drives competition, and development. When Ducati in MotoGP were caught out they had to develop the bike to suit. Now they have a killer bike, for example.

20 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

It makes for better racing and drives competition, and development.

Couldn’t the same be said for single manufacturers series too? Some of the bests racing comes from that.

3 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

Couldn’t the same be said for single manufacturers series too? Some of the bests racing comes from that.

That's what makes F1 so unique. They have to design most of the car themselves

Edited by Baldrick

1 minute ago, Baldrick said:

That's what makes F1 so unique. They have to design most of the car themselves

Well exactly. They have to do this to beat the other teams who are doing the same. But Pirelli doesn’t. 

Financially it makes more sense to have a single tyre supplier. Pirelli supplies around 24,000 tyres a season. If you're Michelin looking to join, who's going to take you up initially? Two teams, maybe? Now you must put in the same amount of R&D as Pirelli, to potentially secure 10% of the field. If your tyres work, great, more teams will come over. But now those teams need to redevelop their cars to suit the characteristics of the new tyres, which means more costs for the teams. Now you have a critical mass, and Pirelli says well, this doesn't work and is just costing money, so they pull out. Now you're left with Michelin only. The rest of the field needs to redevelop their cars to make it work. And you end up at what again? A single tyre supplier.

1 minute ago, bertusras said:

Financially it makes more sense to have a single tyre supplier. Pirelli supplies around 24,000 tyres a season. If you're Michelin looking to join, who's going to take you up initially? Two teams, maybe? Now you must put in the same amount of R&D as Pirelli, to potentially secure 10% of the field. If your tyres work, great, more teams will come over. But now those teams need to redevelop their cars to suit the characteristics of the new tyres, which means more costs for the teams. Now you have a critical mass, and Pirelli says well, this doesn't work and is just costing money, so they pull out. Now you're left with Michelin only. The rest of the field needs to redevelop their cars to make it work. And you end up at what again? A single tyre supplier.

Yes lots of this makes sense. But let them choose. Right now no other tyre manufacturers have the choice.

1 minute ago, Patchelicious said:

Yes lots of this makes sense. But let them choose. Right now no other tyre manufacturers have the choice.

Well that's why there are negotiations about the supply of tyres every couple of years, with the contract currently set to expire in 2024. Michelin elected not to submit a bit when the contract was up for grabs in 2018.

1 minute ago, bertusras said:

Well that's why there are negotiations about the supply of tyres every couple of years, with the contract currently set to expire in 2024. Michelin elected not to submit a bit when the contract was up for grabs in 2018.

I also wouldn’t waste my time submitting a bid when you know you won’t get it. There is a difference between allowing for submissions for an exclusive contract and allowing for others to participate in a competitive event environment. If it’s allowed, and they still choose not too, well then that’s fair.