Formula 1...

'Dale

3 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

I also wouldn’t waste my time submitting a bid when you know you won’t get it. There is a difference between allowing for submissions for an exclusive contract and allowing for others to participate in a competitive event environment. If it’s allowed, and they still choose not too, well then that’s fair. 

Nah mate

“We have received the technical specifications on which the FIA call for tenders has been issued and we have studied it carefully,” said the company.

“Michelin's recommendations for a switch to 18-inch tyres, as in Formula E, have been taken up by the authorities, which we are delighted about.

“However, the demand for the supply of 13-inch tyres for the 2020 season alone, as well as the deterioration of performance as a part of the show, goes against our principles of efficient resource management and respect for the technology of a sustainable tyre.

"Michelin has therefore decided to refrain from any response to this invitation to tender and will continue to follow, in conjunction with its governing bodies, the developments of Formula 1 in the coming years."

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, bertusras said:

Nah mate

Much can be read into and debated about that, but it’s irrelevant to my position that multiple tyre manufacturers should be allowed, bruv.  

Edited by Patchelicious

1 hour ago, bertusras said:

Financially it makes more sense to have a single tyre supplier. Pirelli supplies around 24,000 tyres a season. If you're Michelin looking to join, who's going to take you up initially? Two teams, maybe? Now you must put in the same amount of R&D as Pirelli, to potentially secure 10% of the field. If your tyres work, great, more teams will come over. But now those teams need to redevelop their cars to suit the characteristics of the new tyres, which means more costs for the teams. Now you have a critical mass, and Pirelli says well, this doesn't work and is just costing money, so they pull out. Now you're left with Michelin only. The rest of the field needs to redevelop their cars to make it work. And you end up at what again? A single tyre supplier.

Jip, and then you start getting special tyres for certain teams while other teams "on the same tyres" suffer.

It is a slippery slope.

TBF, F1's problem is not tyres, its the rules. Hoping the 2022 changes fix most of them but lets see......

1 hour ago, Patchelicious said:

Yes lots of this makes sense. But let them choose. Right now no other tyre manufacturers have the choice.

for the very least, they should not be dictating what compounds to be used over a weekend. The driver should decide which compounds he wants to use for that weekend. 

Pirelli's uses 5 tyre compounds during testing

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Just now, Eddy Gordo said:

for the very least, they should not be dictating what compounds to be used over a weekend. The driver should decide which compounds he wants to use for that weekend. 

Again, Pirelli needs to produce more than a thousand tyres for each race weekend (excluding wets). They need to know how many of what to produce. To expand it from 3 options to 5 options just seems silly. The drivers get to select how many of the soft, medium and hard designation they want for the race weekend on their allocation of thirteen sets. Okay so due to COVID supply chain issues it's not the case for 2020 and 2021. 

However, what do you think would have happened if drivers were able to select the softest C5 available at Monaco as the soft option for Silverstone?

I dont know, it is a faster tyre, but also wears quickly. So some teams would need to pit more depending on tyre choice. 

1 hour ago, MrJacques said:

Maxxis F1 tyres? :P

First I ever heard of “Maxxis” was on my racing Kart. They were the new tyre for one year. Front tyre was 30% wider than the Bridgestones from before. DAMN!!! Transformed racing for us back then, grip for daaaaaaaaaaays. But they were shait at heat cycles and you lost 1/10th after the first run and more each run. Tyre budget and setup notes went out the window! 

sorry… went off topic there. ???? 

14 hours ago, WrightJnr said:

First I ever heard of “Maxxis” was on my racing Kart. They were the new tyre for one year. Front tyre was 30% wider than the Bridgestones from before. DAMN!!! Transformed racing for us back then, grip for daaaaaaaaaaays. But they were shait at heat cycles and you lost 1/10th after the first run and more each run. Tyre budget and setup notes went out the window! 

sorry… went off topic there. ???? 

what year did you race? my cousin raced against the Cronje's brothers etc around 2000. I jouned them in the pits for my year off after school, touring the country. Was super fun. 125 Promo and later GP class. He was SA champion in 2002(if memory serves). Raced Tony Kart. He is(was) 2m tall and 90kg, and although that meant he was racing without any balast on the car, he was still massivly overweight compared to the smaller guys in the class....and we would get protested every race he won because people didnt get how he was beating them haha. Pine town and Umhlanga street races he would lap the entire field haha. Justin, His dad -  Sakkie van Biljon, was a legend of SA oval track racing in the 80s too. 

Edited by MORNE

31 minutes ago, MORNE said:

1:1 mock-up of the 2022 rules

50d45189-92e6-450e-939e-7fd59edce0b0.jpg

0a6ff686-a67c-49aa-9187-708db4edef80.jpg

FIA might be taking the tyre manufacturer restrictions a bit too far now.

”To save costs and even the playing field, we will be allowing NO tyres for 2022” - Jean Todt 

Edited by Patchelicious